Maybe...just Maybe.........

Decorating By lvdenver Updated 12 May 2020 , 1:55pm by jchuck

cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 2 Apr 2020 , 4:40am
post #61 of 180

So today was my 2nd day working from home. Apparently I'm an "essential" person (Yay!) but because of my age my supervisor REALLY wants me to stay away from the office. I thought "Oh this will be fun! I'll work a little, clean a little, get some stuff done." Yeah, no. I get hubby off to work then sit down in my chair and don't get up until lunch. Then back in my chair until hubby gets home. But that's ok - they laid off 60+ people on Tuesday so I'm very very grateful to still have my job.

We've had 3 skype meetings and they were all "audio only" cause none of us were even dressed so that's pretty neat. I do need to have a chat with HR though because my coworkers spend the day sleeping until they start zooming through the house and running over me. Not too terrible until the claws come out and they use my lap to change directions. And Cocoa is beautiful!

Hope everyone is staying in and safe and well. Keep washing those hands!

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 2 Apr 2020 , 12:33pm
post #62 of 180

Curious cakefan92  what do you do that is considered “essential”???  My daughter works for a Wealth Management comp. Trading, stocks and bonds etc. It’s been crazy nuts for her. Sooooo many darn selfish rich people worried about there money!!!! The first week of this pandemic, the phone was ringing off the hook, so many calling concerned they were going to go broke. Of course the markets are are volatile, considering what’s going on. Just relax, and when this virus situation is over, the market will rebound back. Everyone and there brother will be going SHOPPING!!!!  Only good thing is, like you, daughter is working from home. In her sweats, clients can’t see. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Apr 2020 , 2:56pm
post #63 of 180

Yes for sure be very thankful you still have a job My daughter sort of does —she works for a school and has been on paid leave for a couple of weeks now — learned yesterday that school is closed now until August Last night the board was to have a mtg about pay until they return She is not a teacher but the secretary.... not sure how that figures in She also had a job caring for a friends mom on Saturdays that ended as soon as the stay home rule went into place That also will start up again as soon as the rule is lifted We are doing good so far & probably will be fine until she goes back Be so very thankful for that job! Hope all you others are getting by ok

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 2 Apr 2020 , 8:02pm
post #64 of 180

Bump

Laetia Posted 2 Apr 2020 , 8:02pm
post #65 of 180

Bump

kakeladi Posted 2 Apr 2020 , 8:31pm
post #66 of 180

We just got the good news that daughter will be pd thru April Another thing to be grateful for!! Taking things one month at a time

kakeladi Posted 2 Apr 2020 , 10:24pm
post #67 of 180

Well our good news was tempered not 30 minuets later w/message that I have been permanently laid off:(

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 2 Apr 2020 , 11:15pm
post #68 of 180

Try not to worry, Lynne.  Once this passes, and it will someday, there will probably be more jobs than you can shake a stick at.  Keep the faith, my friend.

Laetia Posted 3 Apr 2020 , 11:41am
post #69 of 180

Bump

cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 4 Apr 2020 , 7:23am
post #70 of 180

Well, crap! I had typed all that out and it disappeared. So let's try it again.

jchuck - you asked why the company I work for is considered "essential". Apparently even with all the craziness going on right now the oilfield is still a necessary industry. The company I work for rents wellhead equipment so the oil companies don't have to manufacture or buy all of it themselves since it's not used permanently.  We also provide guys for "Frac Watches" - they oversee the process and make sure the equipment is maintained properly.  It has to be greased every hour for 7 days at a time when they're fracking.  I know that's a controversial topic these days, but it's what the oil companies are doing so it needs to be done safely. My company is big on safety and it seems to be more than just what's necessary to satisfy regulations - they seem to be truly sincere that it's the #1 priority.

I'm one of two AP clerks - I make sure the bills are processed for payment. I mostly concentrate on the freight for moving the heavy equipment from one location to another and any purchase under $1,000. I've lived in the oilfield most of my life but this is the first time I've ever worked for an oilfield company and it's fascinating.  Since we've "downsized" I've taken on additional responsibilities and am getting experience in different aspects of the paperwork that's a major part of the business.  We have locations all over the world, including 8 in Australia, but ours is the largest and the busiest. Of course, now it's very slow but hopefully not for too long.

I honestly haven't had time to do much at home since we got back to work after "vacation".  I'm looking forward to the weekend to get out of the house and at least take a walk and maybe do some baking. Hubby had a Wellness Check a couple of weeks ago and he's in good health  I'm really trying to convince him that vegetables won't hurt him a bit.  He will rarely eat anything green other than a salad so it may take some doing. I've been stuffing him with more fruit which isn't the best but it's better than nothing. We're still not on any prescription medication of any kind and at our age I'm very thankful for that, but of course we could always eat healthier.

kakeladi Posted 4 Apr 2020 , 2:42pm
post #71 of 180

Cakefan how interesting to read your story! :) Glad to hear you are well I’m w/you on not taking much meds .... but what I do take meds for can be very disturbing—restless legs It not only effects the legs but sometimes the whole body:( I sure hope everyone is doing well... how about everyone check in here letting us know your not sick in any way I call my friends about once a week to let them know I hope they are well Everyone should keep tabs on relatives, friends, neighbors As the ads on tv are saying “we are all in this together “! Places like this help:)

jchuck Posted 4 Apr 2020 , 3:11pm
post #72 of 180

Interesting cakefan92 I just read that oil production may have to stop. The crude oil industry says they are running out of room to store the oil. That by June’s end, they will be in big trouble. Know one is using/processing the oil to be used in personal/industrial use.  Industry thought they might fill up tankers, keep off shore, but that is problematic. No State/area, wants a tanker floating around on there coastline.

On Thursday, my next door neighbour and I sat at the end of our driveway, proper distance apart of course, and talked for a couple of hours. Was a bit windy, but was a lovely sunny day. Another neighbour came along with with her dog, and she also got a chair and sat with us too. Was sooooo nice. 

kakeladi/lynne  restless leg syndrome is no joke. My husband suffers occasionally from it. Thankfully not very often. 

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 4 Apr 2020 , 4:03pm
post #73 of 180

I am  grateful it's my last day of quarantine today lol, the sun is shining ,I'm dying to get outside. I was on my paid vaca 3 week road trip mostly along the Gulf and East coast visiting friends and seeing beautiful parts of the US and eating great food (of course cause it's all about food when you travel), so I made it home in time to be laid off. But on that note I am grateful to work for a company that is looking after us, I am grateful to be eligible and able eto collect EI and have acccess to free healthcare and ability to buy things like Clorox wipes, and live in my apartment alone and not be having to fight for social distancing requirements like in countries where people live on top of each other .

I am grateful I have internet access on ad aily basis that I can connect with family and friends and smile and laugh and share hope and jokes and memories of better times, and also thankful for a glass half full spirit to find opportunities to make something of this situation, that I am in isolation to stay healthy and keep others healtlhy, not to be trapped or 'stuck'. And I am grateful for stuff in my cupboard and in my fridge, even if it's not the variety I'm used to ,providing me with a full belly.

And today I'm working on some of my decorating skills to take a break from social media, plus 12 hour shifts in the kitchen don't leave much energy for those things normally.

Namaste, stay healthy and happy folks and happy baking! xxx

jchuck Posted 4 Apr 2020 , 11:42pm
post #74 of 180

Fortunate you oceanspitfire to have a great company to work for. Stay safe...

jchuck Posted 4 Apr 2020 , 11:42pm
post #75 of 180

Fortunate you oceanspitfire to have a great company to work for. Stay safe...

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 5 Apr 2020 , 12:29am
post #76 of 180

I am so grateful to have a job with a company that is deemed essential so I can still work. And, that I am well enough to work. I know so many who are not working.

jchuck Posted 5 Apr 2020 , 12:32am
post #77 of 180

You are also very fortunate gscout73..❤️

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 5 Apr 2020 , 12:38am
post #78 of 180

Yes, I am grateful each and every day. The rest is easy. With all my Girl Scout events cancelled and parks and camps closed I get to fiddle... like crochet, plan, read, As long as I can work I do not complain. My heart goes out to you, Kakeladi.

jchuck Posted 5 Apr 2020 , 1:00am
post #79 of 180

Bumpity Bump Bump 

kakeladi Posted 5 Apr 2020 , 1:39am
post #80 of 180

This afternoon I did several load of wash Pulled all the bedding off & the curtains for a good wash :) Good to-hear ocean spitfire & gscout that you are both staying well

jchuck Posted 5 Apr 2020 , 1:56am
post #81 of 180

Oh kakeladi/lynne.....you’re more adventurous than me. Haven’t felt any urge to start my Spring cleaning at all. I’m sure as the weather gets nicer, I probably will. 

kakeladi Posted 5 Apr 2020 , 1:30pm
post #82 of 180

Adventurous? Naw.....just trying to eliminate as many pandemic germs as possible Been thinking about it for days On a slightly different subject—can’t help but think about all the airborne pandemic germs being spread around by the wind — Especially the tornadoes; anyone else think about that?

jchuck Posted 5 Apr 2020 , 3:45pm
post #83 of 180

The virus can’t travel in the wind. You have to be in close proximity to someone speaking very closely near you. Airborne particles can spread through droplets. If you’re 6 ft away, less likely to happen. 

lvdenver Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvdenver Posted 5 Apr 2020 , 7:06pm
post #84 of 180

Hi jchuck…..and everybody....

California is going a bit crazy.....

This morning, I woke to a new mandate for a nearby county, San Bernardino.  I think it's the second or third largest county in the state.

They have been ordered, Ordered,  to wear face masks or coverings, Whenever they go outside of their homes.  

This includes first responders, law enforcement, Off-duty medical and essential workers, and Anybody going outside.  They are asking the public to not purchase the N-95 masks, so dearly needed by the medical community.

Officials for all the counties that I have seen, are recommending face coverings to be worn, even something as simple as a scarf or bandana, are acceptable for the general public.  I have started trying to make face masks for myself and a few friends.  But there's No way I can do it on the Mass scale that some others are.  And without a proper pattern, and needed supplies, mine are taking far longer than the ones I have seen on You Tube that are being whipped out in under 30 minutes.   And just like is done on the food channels on TV, those tutorial don't include any of the prep work in that '30-minutes'.   For me, that includes, pulling the machine out of it's cabinet, setting up an ironing station, ironing, measuring, and cutting out the material,.  It's only then that I can begin that 30 minute timer!  lolololol   The fastest I have manage to make a mask is about 2 1/2 hours.  lolol

By viewing how much I wrote, over-wrote, I think I need more human contact!   So sorry, guys.

Stay Safe everyone!

Peace!

jchuck Posted 5 Apr 2020 , 8:11pm
post #85 of 180

Ivdenver  I had trouble with my sewing machine, the bobbin thread bunching up. Tried everything under the sun  to fix it. That was a month ago. I haven’t had a chance to look at my machine in the last week due to some difficulties circumstances. There was a call out on my community fb page, not for masks, but homemade scrub hats.  Apparently our local hospital the are in dire need. After the posting last night, several offered, and there are some older ladies from church groups and sewing groups that have offered to help. The response was overwhelming. Which is a good thing. And you’re right about the “prep” work. Just like painting, the actual painting isn’t what takes up the time. It’s the taping and prep beforehand. 

lvdenver Posted 5 Apr 2020 , 8:56pm
post #86 of 180

Hi jchuck…

I can totally understand the call for help for scrub hats.  It's amazing the amounts of protective gear that are needed ALL the time.  I heard a plea (sort of), from a nurse on TV talking about the amount of masks.....She was saying that at a decent sized hospital, the staff can go through 10,000 masks in One Shift of work!  And suddenly, the millions, and millions of items we've been hearing about being obtained, divided, dispersed, donated, etc., does not sound like a whole lot.

But as I read what you wrote about the scrub hats...it made me Stop and think.  I haven't heard a Thing about those out here!  I now really wonder why that is?

It's been nice to see stories of the 'Good' coming out in people, too.  I've heard about Medical students setting up donation areas in the college parking lots for Drive-by donations of masks and gloves.  And some local non-hospital caregivers raising money to get, and deliver take out food for local Grocery Store employees.  And a gentleman who was saving money to buy 'something nice' for himself (before the virus), and then taking that money to go stand at a Gas Station on a corner with a sign reading "Free Gas for Nurses".  He bought $900. worth of Gas for all who showed up while the money lasted.  And the stories go on and on....I've seen stories like this for Los Angeles, Orange, San Bernardino county residents in Calif., as well as across the country.  I think the man with the gas was in Michigan.  

It warms my heart to hear of these actions, however big or small, that are occurring now.  Makes one question Why we humans can't be nice to each other all the time.

It is wonderful to hear about the people you speak of who are jumping in to Help.     I still want to get the energy to make even one tray of goodies to take to the Fire Station a mile down the road....the road that I live on and can see from my living room window!   Of course I would call to get approval first.  I can do a small gesture...and would like to.  Maybe I will take some to my Pharmacy workers since I am there almost every week.  And I Have taken them trays/bags of goodies at Christmas time.  Hmmmmm……

Take Care!  

Peace!

Christie

kakeladi Posted 6 Apr 2020 , 3:40pm
post #87 of 180

Bump

jchuck Posted 6 Apr 2020 , 10:27pm
post #88 of 180

Well I heard some good news. Our Federal officer of health stated today that a regular mask can stop the spread of the coronavirus. They have been conducting tests. So obviously the outcome was good. Before it was only the H-19 mask. So this means some frontline workers can manage with homemade masks. And yes Christie it is nice to see acts of kindness.

June

lvdenver Posted 6 Apr 2020 , 10:38pm
post #89 of 180

Hi June.....

That is great news!  Neither our Governor nor Health Director have reached that conclusion for us....yet.  But most people are wearing them outside now. 

It's sure a crazy, terrifying, horrible ride that we all are on now.  And as everybody is saying...one that we 'never thought we'd see in our lifetimes'.

Let's just hope that the medical world can find some treatments for those that fall ill.

Peace!

Christie

kakeladi Posted 7 Apr 2020 , 2:43am
post #90 of 180

I found it interesting to read that such “pandemics” seem to run in 100 yr cycles & people predicted this — Of course not exactly/by name but sounded a warning which was completely ignored Bill Gates & Geo Bush I believe we’re 2of them

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%