Maybe...just Maybe.........

Decorating By lvdenver Updated 12 May 2020 , 1:55pm by jchuck

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 12 Apr 2020 , 10:32pm
post #121 of 180

Teresa you’re Easter treats look wonderful. Especially you’re lemon blueberry loaf!! And you’re hubby’s little glass Easter ornaments are really cute.  I bought  a chocolate rooster for my one grandson, which we porch dropped off yesterday  And another chocolate rooster for myself/hubby and daughter to share. Solid bunnies, chocolate mini eggs and jelly beans for my two grandboys.  Daughter and grandson’s have been living with us for almost 2 weeks. Son in law is in the hospital and we needed to provide babysitting and emotional support. And just in case you’re wondering, it’s NOT the coronavirus. Grandkids were awake at 5.50 am excited about the Easter Hunt inside the house!!! I decided to make a easy peasy Easter dinner cause this grandma has been worn out. Pork roast in my instapot, veggie’s...potatoes, carrots and peppers cooked in tin foil in my mini countertop oven. I actually had some spit and fire at mid morning and made a strawberry/cherry pie. Used my food processor to make my pastry, and it came together in 5 minutes. Took longer to measure everything. Popped the pastry into the freezer to chill while I prepared the filling. Gotta say, the pastry rolled out like a dream. Sat outside with hubby and daughter watching the grandboys ride there bicycles while dinner/pie cooked. 

After this wknd, I’ve decided I MUST get back on the straight and narrow!!! Sandra I injured my left ankle somehow a week before Christmas. Swelled up like a puff ball. Was on meds to bring down swelling and ease pain. Family doc examined after I finished my meds and said ankle looked fine. But every time I went to my exercise class or walked, my ankle would swell up, and  I would be in pain. By end of February I had enough. I figured the ankle should have been healed by now. I wanted a x-Ray to see what was going on. Booked an appointment, only for it to be cancelled because of the coronavirus situation . So funnily after my exercise classes were cancelled, after one week of complete rest, my ankle seemed fine.  But once daughter/grandkids moved in, it’s been non stop. And I’ve had continuous ankle pain and swelling. I can only walk 1-2 km, which is roughly 1 1/2 miles instead of my usual 3 miles. Otherwise my ankle really starts to hurt.. Dang annoying!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Apr 2020 , 12:43am
post #122 of 180

So sorry to hear about your ankle:( I understand being in constant pain I’ve found since being “in jail” (not able to go anywhere) my neck doesn’t hurt nearly as much but since I’ve been walking several times a day it’s acting up It’s so hard to just sit here while daughter does everything She has been painting the ceilings & of course mopping the floors etc If I try that my pain level shoots sky high:(

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 13 Apr 2020 , 11:38am
post #123 of 180

June that sounds like you made a wonderful holiday for your family.  Now if only everyone's ankle/neck/hip would get better!

Let's face it we are all clearly not the kind of women who like to sit still or move less but apparently sometimes we have to listen to our bodies.  It can be impossible when little ones want/need/drop something that needs tending to!  Did I say little ones only..sometimes the big ones want/need/drop something too ;) 

We are bracing for a big rain and windstorm today - now to anticipate for possible power outtages too?   I need to make sure my thermal carafe coffee pot has coffee in it at all times!  Priorities!!

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 13 Apr 2020 , 11:51am
post #124 of 180

Theresat, I love your priority! Coffee is my only drug (with sweets, french fries, a beer now and then...) darn...

Ladies, I'm still young enough not to be bothered by arthritis or joints pain. I'll take it while it last. I realy hope you'll all find some kind of relief soon. I cant imagine the resilience you must have to deal with that everyday. Take care

jchuck Posted 13 Apr 2020 , 12:04pm
post #125 of 180

Yes Lynne/Teresa We have to listen to our bodies as we get older. I’m a type “A” personality, always needing to busy. Also I’m ocd. But I’m not nearly as bad as I was. In my “younger” raising children years, I vacuumed and washed floors EVERY day!!! Wouldn’t or couldn’t go to bed unless my house was 100% completely tidy. 

cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 14 Apr 2020 , 7:41pm
post #126 of 180

I hope everyone's okay after all the storms yesterday.  Funny, we usually have tornado watches and warnings all through April but only once so far this year.  I don't think it's fair that we have to deal with bad weather along with a pandemic - - it's just not right.

So I finally got out of the house today.  I've been cooped up for over a week so I took a very early lunch and ran to get a birthday card for the grandson and then to the Post Office to mail it. Stopped to get ice cream for hubby and fill up our water jugs.  We absolutely don't use tap water for coffee and that's been one of the hardest things to get. 

They say things will be opening up again soon.  Our governor is really on top of things and Texans hate being cooped up so we'll probably be one of the first. Yay!

Everybody stay safe and well.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 14 Apr 2020 , 7:59pm
post #127 of 180

You be safe, too, cakefan92!

I've been on a spree lately, went to the veterinarian yesterday and found out my kitty was diabetic.  Today we went back to the office with her so I could learn the correct way to give insulin shots.  That is twice in two days!  We did stop at the grocery store and pick up a few supplies.  

kakeladi Posted 14 Apr 2020 , 8:46pm
post #128 of 180

.....I don't think it's fair that we have to deal with bad weather along with a pandemic - - it's just not right.

So I finally got out of the house today. I've been cooped up for over a week .....

Cooped up just a week?? I’ve been confined for a month! Yes I’ve gone out a couple times for short shopping or bank

kakeladi Posted 14 Apr 2020 , 8:46pm
post #129 of 180

.....I don't think it's fair that we have to deal with bad weather along with a pandemic - - it's just not right.

So I finally got out of the house today. I've been cooped up for over a week .....

Cooped up just a week?? I’ve been confined for a month! Yes I’ve gone out a couple times for short shopping or bank runs (as i

kakeladi Posted 14 Apr 2020 , 8:52pm
post #130 of 180

Yuck ——-wasn’t finished I’m sitting in line @ the bank now for about 20 minuets so far & there are still some 4-5 cars ahead - just 1drove up teller :( Then I intend to do some shopping before getting take out for dinner Continue staying safe everyone!

jchuck Posted 14 Apr 2020 , 8:59pm
post #131 of 180

We have been self isolating since March 7th. Only out for groceries that weren’t in our grocery order when delivered. Necessities, like eggs and milk. We have done a couple of drive by’s to our children/grandkids. Porch drop off’s. But pretty much we’ve stayed put in our house. Although my hubby has driven me crazy, and vice versa, we at least have each other for company. I have a couple of single lady friends in there own homes by themselves. They are finding it very lonely and challenging.   :o(

lvdenver Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvdenver Posted 15 Apr 2020 , 1:48am
post #132 of 180

Sandra....

So sorry to hear about your kitty.  But if it's any consolation, I know that some cats can live long lives while needing insulin.

Speaking of that.....Oh, how I Wish I were there to help!  I kitty-sat for my sister's diabetic cat Many times.  I learned how to give injections with my Cocker Spaniel, with cancer, Years ago.  And used that skill with my fiancé, and then sister's cat, Mickey.  If I were there, and you could catch the kitty, I would do the injections, no problem.  Unless you are really squeamish about needles, it's not that difficult to do.  Just have a treat for the kitty to make it a positive experience.  I cheated and gave Mickey the treat before And after.  lol  The boyfriend, he just got a kiss. lol

You will do fine.  If you can give the basic care to all the kitties you have, then this should not be a problem!  (Look at me...assuming you don't know how to do this)

Love You!  

Peace!

C-

SandraSmiley Posted 15 Apr 2020 , 3:02am
post #133 of 180

Thank you, sweet Christie.  Talking care of fur babies is something else I've been doing all of my adult life and even when I was a kid.  I've given a million shots, started with vaccinating the cows and horses and moved on to smaller animals when needed.  Because I have never before given insulin, the doctor wanted to be sure I knew exactly where on the body the injection should be given, how to uncap the tiny needle without bending it, etc.  I didn't have any trouble at all when I was in his office and I gave her the first insulation shot this afternoon after she ate her dinner.  I don't think she even knew I did anything.  I also had to give her a dose of liquid antibotic and that made her a lot more upset, but she got over it quickly.  The vet wants me to give her two doses a day for a week, then bring her back next Wednesday so they can check her glaucous level, to see if her dosage needs to be adjusted.

With 29 babies, it is unusual for me not to be treating somebody for something, lol.

lvdenver Posted 15 Apr 2020 , 4:07am
post #134 of 180

Sandra....

I had a feeling you knew what you were doing.  And I know that if Moosie ever needed anything that I could do, I would wish that you ere here to ask for help!   Your kitties are lucky you're there for them....all of them.   :)   And as for the antibiotic feeling different...I think it's a good thing that most cats don't hold any kinds of grudges like some people do.  

Peace!

P.S.  To you Sandra, and to all......Can you tell me how I might go about adapting the cinnamon roll recipe into an 'Orange Roll' recipe?  I'm now craving those, kinda like the 'Pop-open' kind from the lil' puffy guy we all know and love   Hee-Heeee!

I'm open and would be grateful to suggestions!

Double Peace!

jchuck Posted 15 Apr 2020 , 12:08pm
post #135 of 180
lvdenver Posted 15 Apr 2020 , 7:17pm
post #136 of 180

Ooooohhhhh!  Thanks, June!

I'll have to get on that!  Sounds yummy!

Peace!

jchuck Posted 15 Apr 2020 , 10:41pm
post #137 of 180

Your welcome Christie

I love orange in almost anything, but not in a cinnamon bun. I’m a purist when it comes to those. Remember I told you as a psw, I had some amazing older ladies give me tips, tricks and recipes. I have one for Kringle, and I swear tastes just like a Danish pastry!!!! This lovely lady, Ruth, spoiled me and my children. My kids were still young when I took care of  Ruth. She us made pastries, cookies and other treats. Ruth actually wrote Fleishman’s yeast to find a way to make yeast goods rise without standing and kneading. Ruth had a artificial right leg, and the continuously standing was too much for her. Fleishsman’s told Ruth if she beat her dough in the early stage, say with about 2-3 cups of flour, with the proofed yeast added, that would activate the yeast enough. Ruth would use her stand mixer, let it go for about 4-7 minutes on medium speed. Hand held while sitting down will work too.  Then add the rest of the flour and continue as normal with the recipe.

lvdenver Posted 15 Apr 2020 , 11:06pm
post #138 of 180

That's interesting June....

Is it the orange competing with the cinnamon?  I am wondering about that.  One recipe I saw used only butter, sugar, and orange zest in the filling.  Another uses brown sugar, cinnamon And orange zest.  So, I'm stumped.  And that was going to be my next entry.

Looking for advice:   Which method do you think would be the best?

I now know your answer, june.  And it's been so long since I had the pop-tube kind that I don't remember what they had in them.

Any thoughts, Group?

Peace!

P.S.  Ruth sounds like my kind of lady.  Seems I am always writing to one corporation/business or another.  It's fun to see how they respond.  Even with a bad review, if you go right To them, they often send you coupons for free items.  Or some even little samples.  lol   :)

SandraSmiley Posted 15 Apr 2020 , 11:55pm
post #139 of 180

I have never had an orange cinnamon roll or even heard of one, not even from the Pillsbury Dough Boy!  I don't think I would like them, give me spices please!

jchuck Posted 15 Apr 2020 , 11:56pm
post #140 of 180

I personally wouldn’t add the cinnamon in the filling. It would be white sugar and  small amount of marmalade. If no marmalade, then orange zest. I mean the recipe I posted for you  is basically cinnamon rolls with a orange glaze. If you want orange buns/rolls you might as well as well go all the way with the orange. 

Yes, I have very fond me of Ruth. She was  wonderful lady. When she passed, I was shattered. It was like losing a grandmother. 

lvdenver Posted 16 Apr 2020 , 12:55am
post #141 of 180

Well......Sandra and June...…

I may have just screwed myself.  lol   I made an 'Executive decision' and added zest to the cinnamon filling I already had made up...(before you showed me the orange one, june)  And those are about 15 mins from going in the oven to bake.

Yes, Sandra...Pillsbury makes and orange roll.  I remember them growing up.  And they still make them...in refrigerated area, same place as their other pop-type goods.

So, I'll be finding out how bad/good they are after they bake.  I'll just call them my 'Franken-Rolls'!  lolol

And I have a feeling that, no matter what, the neighbors will gobble them up.  Even if they give a bad critique afterwards.  lol

I think I may start a new discussion about Steps to Cinnamon Rolls...Instant vs Active Yeast...When to roll, When to Let Rise.

I have a feeling I'm doing That wrong, too!

Peace, Ladies!

lvdenver Posted 16 Apr 2020 , 4:42am
post #142 of 180

And the Verdict on the Orange Rolls is in...…

Shared with 4 neighbors (8 people total)…and they Liked them.  One even had seconds.  lol

Me?  Not sure.  Not 'Bad', but not what I had hoped.  The sugar in the filling just about caramelized in the bottom of the pans, making it Very difficult to remove.  The icing…..Was a Big Hit.  And I agree on that.  lol

Overall, taking into account that I grated the zest, and then juiced, 3 oranges......It was a lot more work than the flavors represented.  If I were to do it again (a possibility) I'll go for the white sugar, butter and zest in the filling.  The molasses in the brown sugar is what messed me up.

Yep.....Should've followed the recipe.  I know better.  "When trying a new recipe, always Follow the Recipe.  Then when you have a baseline, go ahead and modify as you please".  Or something to that effect.   lol

Thanks for your input, Ladies.  You haven't steered me wrong yet!

Peace!

P.S.  No pictures...I was too tired.  But they looked about the same as the cinnamon ones.

jchuck Posted 16 Apr 2020 , 12:42pm
post #143 of 180

Ahh..Christie I bet they tasted great. Yes, brown sugar is very strong tasting and distinctive. That’s why with a lighter flavour like lemon, orange, I stick to white sugar. I use to love Pilllsbury products for a quick breakfast/dinner. Cinnamon buns, hot dogs rolled in the crescent rolls. Haven’t bought Pillsbury and other brands like them for a long time. My son, in high school had a chronic diarrhea problem. After many, many visits to several gastroenterologist, we finally saw one at McMaster Children’s hospital that figured  it out.......FRUCTOSE!!  My son’s body couldn’t process fructose, as in high-fructose corn syrup or for that matter anything in that family. It’s called Fructose malabsorption.  Fructose is naturally found in fruits, but it’s the manufactured sources of fructose that he cannot tolerate. Son can’t have Sucralose, invert sugar, palm/coconut sugar, and on and on. And this stuff is in EVERYTHING!!!!  The gastro doctor said it had become chronic in children and young adults. Thank goodness I was a baker. I really had to start baking a lot of homemade breads, rolls etc because my son couldn’t eat most store bought. Purchased a lot of all natural/organic products too. I did some research and found out in Canada, and around this time in USA too, that none of these additives were allowed prior to 1970. It was all natural white/brown sugar, molasses etc. But of course the food industry found “cheaper” versions. Ditto additives like mono sodium glutamate, sodium nitrate...biggie for me. Sodium nitrate gives me massive migraines. A shame, because most of our purchased food is adulterated... If I can’t make it I have several bakeries that bake natural where I purchase.

SandraSmiley Posted 16 Apr 2020 , 2:46pm
post #144 of 180

bump

lvdenver Posted 16 Apr 2020 , 6:16pm
post #145 of 180

Hi June...

What an awful way to have to go through life....no sugars.  I can't even begin to fathom what that would be like.  It is wonderful that you were able to get a few, not all, answers to his condition. The orange rolls were edible, some even liked them, just not what I had wanted.  And sadly, it's those Pillsbury ones were the flavors I was after.  lol  All n all, I was satisfied that I got Something made yesterday!

Who knows what will be on tap for today.  Maybe rest, since I did quite a bit yesterday.  The body itself will tell me.

Have a great day, June...Stay Safe!

Peace!

jchuck Posted 16 Apr 2020 , 6:47pm
post #146 of 180

Oh not to worry Christie my son can have sugar, but it has to be pure. Organic sugar, honey are the two best. But he shouldn’t eat too much refined sugar or fructose laiden products. My son is 35 now, and his tolerance is higher, but he still has issues. He cheats all the time. He’s a grown man, married with a son of his own. So he has to manage his own health. He does try and eat healthy, jogs. But he does eat a lot of things he shouldn’t. So if he wants to spend time on the toilet with diarrhea because he cheated, hey, that’s his problem, not mine anymore!! Ha Ha. 

SandraSmiley Posted 17 Apr 2020 , 12:44am
post #147 of 180

Don't feel badly, Christie.  It is hard to get some flavors into baked good and I find orange to be one of them.  The orange cake I made recently had orange zest, orange juice concentrate and orange extract.  It had a lot of flavor, but I didn't like it.  To me, the orange juice concentrate gave it an unpleasant after taste.  I'll try something else next time.

June, your son was very lucky to have a mom who was also a baker!

lvdenver Posted 17 Apr 2020 , 1:16am
post #148 of 180

Thanks, Sandra.  I'm just glad that Somebody liked them more than I did.

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 18 Apr 2020 , 11:55am
post #149 of 180

Bump

jchuck Posted 18 Apr 2020 , 12:50pm
post #150 of 180

Bumpity Bump Bump 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%