What Is/who Is A Newbie?

Lounge By kstevens Updated 16 Sep 2016 , 4:58pm by -K8memphis

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 7 Jul 2016 , 8:53pm
post #31 of 54

@k8memphis ahhh.  Thanks for the clarification. Maybe I misunderstood the post :)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Jul 2016 , 8:53pm
post #32 of 54

i have worked for several legal business owner that I would not trust to direct me to the bathroom kwim 

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 7 Jul 2016 , 8:56pm
post #33 of 54

This board is like most places. You need both the more experienced for sound advice and words of caution and you need newbies for continued growth and hopeful excitement. Sometimes it may seem like we come with cross purposes but if you lose either end of the spectrum the board suffers.

-K8memphis Posted 7 Jul 2016 , 9:33pm
post #34 of 54

have you guys seen this -- it is flat amazing and a newbie or a pro who could bake a cookie, roll fondant, and pipe dots with a lot a lot of time on their hands could accomplish this magnificent work of edible art -- although I think I would hurt anyone who tried to bite it

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3373370/white-tiger

I'm just in awe

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 7 Jul 2016 , 10:33pm
post #35 of 54

It's awesome! 

And K8, you're a treasure. Glad you're here.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 7 Jul 2016 , 10:59pm
post #36 of 54

A newbie is someone stupid enough to think they can leave their gumpaste teddy that they spent forever working on out on the bench to dry and not have their 3 year old eat it, then see the empty plate and in a panic yell 'My teddy, where is my teddy' and then cry because they hear 'I ate it and put the rest in the bin'.

Newbie lesson learnt, teddy remade and put up high this time.

-K8memphis Posted 7 Jul 2016 , 11:02pm
post #37 of 54

thank you, jgifford, right back atcha

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 8 Jul 2016 , 2:18am
post #38 of 54

@bubs1stbirthday ‍ I actually gasped when I read your post - Aaaack! Poor Mom, poor baby, poor teddy!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 8 Jul 2016 , 2:35am
post #39 of 54

Quote by @kstevens on 1 day ago

""I keep seeing "newbie" used on various threads and it's always in a negative light. ""

That can easily be corrected with searches into the library of Cake Central photos, forums, recipes etc. & reading posts by @Jackie ‍ & @LeanneW ‍ 

7385.  that's the number of threads in a search with just the word newbie in it. Some asking for help, some just introducing themselves, some giving advice, some showing their gratitude for assistance, & some sharing their newbie disaster stories as a warning to others.   With just a little research you'll see the accurate historical representation of the forum on CC.

"In the end, the whole Internet thing kills me, because you can use it as a positive thing or you can read into all the negativity. And I think you've gotta put out positive energy, put out cool viral stuff, and then just stay out of people's opinions." Nikki Sixx

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 8 Jul 2016 , 3:20am
post #40 of 54

@Pastrybaglady ‍it sure isn't a mistake I plan to make again lol. The silver lining is I was happier with the remake than the original, Just wont be telling the kiddo that ;-) .  

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 8 Jul 2016 , 3:57am
post #41 of 54

@mattyeatscakes I never saw that limitation. But I would never answer licence questions anyway. No, I didn't register because the laws here are different and besides I'm the director of my own company and think I have enough experience in running a successful business and to answer some of those questions. Also I have gained enough experience to answer cake related questions. But what I really meant by that is if someone posts a "what should I offer in my cake shop" or "how much do I charge" questions on here and doesn't check the local market etc but simply uses guestimates from cc folks then that is dumb. Asking for advise it absolutely fine but the final decision can only be made by the person itself, others can't do the work for her/him.

mattyeatscakes Posted 8 Jul 2016 , 4:27am
post #42 of 54

Hi @julia1821 :) i think you misunderstood me. I referenced your name in my post about being lost as well about why people started apologizing or when the thread started being a little tensed. You had asked if some posts were deleted. I had the same questions too as i felt there were some missing links.

i was not referencing anyone about the business aspect of my post. It was more like a general statement. 

i'm sorry if you felt that i was talking about you :( i really wasn't. Anyway, good night from Canada! :)

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 8 Jul 2016 , 4:58am
post #43 of 54

Oh no no I dont't feel like you were addressing me. But when I read it I thought I should add ^^^ to elucidate my previous comment because I essence you are right and I was just referring to those situations. 

kayra850 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayra850 Posted 8 Jul 2016 , 7:01am
post #44 of 54

Good morning my fellow bakers, yes it is morning in my beautiful country.

Sorry for my late answer, but big thanks to:

@-K8memphis ‍ thanks for your nice words to me

@carolinecakes ‍ thanks to you to for nice words to me

@kstevens ‍  special thanks to you for start this forum and another thanks for your words to me.

soldiernurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soldiernurse Posted 8 Jul 2016 , 7:01pm
post #45 of 54

...I'm kinda lost...to clarify...I am a hobby baker..am I not allowed to give advice on simple stuff I'm confident about?

mattyeatscakes Posted 8 Jul 2016 , 7:33pm
post #46 of 54

@soldiernurse hi, my apologies if this is regarding my post. I might have misunderstood a post before regarding business related questions.  i should probably delete that, to avoid any more future confusion :(

of course all advices are welcomed from anyone of any skill level :) more heads are better than one. Especially with questions about cake decorating, there are so many answers to give.  One process might work for some people, another process might not.  There are tons of ways to do a certain thing, so the more choices are given, then the OP would have more ways to try out right?

anyway, again i apologize for all the confusion i started grin.png

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 8 Jul 2016 , 11:52pm
post #47 of 54

soldiernurse, by all means, if you can answer a question go for it. 

I was lurking here for months, thoroughly intimidated by all the talent. The first post I actually felt compelled to answer was about chocolate candy. I had been doing that for years and had gained more experience of what not to do more than anything else. I survived that so I started posting about actual cake stuff also.

Anytime you have anything to add, please feel free. We all got here by different paths with different experiences.

soldiernurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soldiernurse Posted 11 Jul 2016 , 8:27pm
post #48 of 54

ok, thanks! 'cause I've learned a lot here because of you guys' willingness to share and want to do the same...within my limits of course!!

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 30 Aug 2016 , 9:05am
post #49 of 54

Oh dear, things haven't changed much LOL!

Hurt feelings , apologies flying back and forth (without a clue why they are apologizing but it's "nice" to do so?) the minutiae of "what I meant was.." I must have missed this one.

At least the application of CPR  got a thread past the first page I suppose, which I suspect was the OP's intention?

Well we're all newbies at something or have been for most of our lives and hopefully always will be till the dotage takes over.

I've never seen "newbies" disparaged, just the odd randomer in the Business Section asking "how much for dis cake?" above a pic of a hot mess she's made for someone's wedding.

They used to get a flea in their ear, not the genuine member new or not, looking for genuine advice.

You'll be glad to know that's all changed on the new board. Now the hot mess would be praised for her efforts and a price list would be zinging its way to her from around the globe (possibly even up to 5 replies?)

There's always been a bit of friction, usually between the ones who throw 3 packets of mix in the mixer with an egg and some oil and the ones who actually bake with fresh ingredients. That was an old argument that was eventually relegated to separate threads for the polar opposites. Nowhere was the friction more lively than between unlicensed bakers undercutting legal ones who paid their way with all the cash outlay that entailed.

The result was that many of those legal bakers have given up their businesses and are no longer frequenting these boards with free advice. This of course leaves the way clear now for the rest to contribute their wisdom...and of course their feelings.

MBalaska Posted 30 Aug 2016 , 10:02pm
post #50 of 54

It is fair and quite accurate to say that I'm still a newby.  I just followed a tutorial and made my 1st batch of 'Edible Gelatin Glitter'.

[postimage id="5017" thumb="900"] 

Every time that I try someone's recipe, tutorial, or method, I'm a newbie.!!

MBalaska Posted 30 Aug 2016 , 10:05pm
post #51 of 54

.........and I'm feeling pretty good about it @cakebaby2 ‍ hahaha 

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 1 Sep 2016 , 11:40am
post #52 of 54

Great job MB, making edible gelatin glitter is on my to-do list, I just haven't got around to it yet.

regimarie01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
regimarie01 Posted 16 Sep 2016 , 4:36pm
post #53 of 54

Hi everyone I am new to this site as of today I have been viewing this site for about  a year now. I have been trying to post messages on here for a while but had no luck until last night by some miracle I figured it out .

I love cc I never thought I would find real nice people on here who are willing to help us newbies or oldies lol .

I also go to Google and u tube for all my info but cc is the best so far . I want to thank each and everyone here who has offered to help in any way shape or form and if I can help I will do my part as well thank u again 

-K8memphis Posted 16 Sep 2016 , 4:58pm
post #54 of 54

how sweet, regimarie -- nice to meet you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%