What Is/who Is A Newbie?

Lounge By kstevens Updated 16 Sep 2016 , 4:58pm by -K8memphis

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 6 Jul 2016 , 3:10pm
post #1 of 54

OK.....I'm gonna be the dumb a$$ to ask this question.  What is/who is a newbie?  

I keep seeing "newbie" used on various threads and it's always in a negative light.  Are newbies those new to this site?  Are they new to cake decorating?  New to the cake business?  All of the above?

I've not been a member all that long so please excuse me if I'm an idiot for asking this but because it pops up so often I was curious as to whom this refers to.

53 replies
mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 6 Jul 2016 , 5:20pm
post #2 of 54

For me, I think when someone says "I'm a newbie" i'm thinking they mean that they are new to baking or cake decorating. When i see it on cake forums, members would also add hobby baker. I think it's a passive aggressive way of saying that I am new to decorating, don't have enough experience/practice, well here's my work, be gentle. Or I have a question, i know it sounds dumb, please don't shoot me :) hehehe

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 6 Jul 2016 , 5:35pm
post #3 of 54

Anyone who's new to anything and is still learning the basics would be a newb to me.

kstevens Posted 6 Jul 2016 , 6:27pm
post #4 of 54

I haven't noticed anyone referring to themselves as a newbie.  It seems to be more of a negative tag coming from members to describe other members on the site.  It just made me stop and wonder if it meant new to the site and if we were (really) welcomed?  

I'm not thin skinned and all offended, sitting here trying to type through the tears, but didn't want to be weighing in on the forums if I was somehow ruining it for the "old timers".

I call myself a hobby baker simply because I am not a business (nor do I have the desire to be), not because I am new to baking.  I've been baking since I was quite young and enjoy it.  I like trying new recipes and have always baked birthday cakes for friends and family.  I never was great at piping so the cakes were always simple in appearance but tasty.  Now that I have discovered fondant, gumpaste etc, I am hooked!  I do so much better decorating than I ever could with just buttercream (at least I think so).  I can't afford to buy custom cakes is why I do things for myself plus I enjoy it and so I try to learn as much as I can.  I've used Google countless times to search techniques, products and so on.

I joined this site in hopes of getting feedback from people who know what they are doing and also because I saw that peole are wiling to share their knowledge and skills.  I'm not looking to build my skills to open up shop and undercut others, I just have OCD and always strive to be as good as I can be so look for ways to improve.  Friends and family always say how wonderful things are and usually aren't willing to give constructive critism.

I try not to ask "stupid" questions and do my research before posing questions. I also always try to thank those who have weighed in.  I hope my questions aren't causing members to roll their eyes but if they do, ignore me and move along....

This is an excellent resource and I appreciate all who have helped me/offered feedback.  I think I went off track and rambled but somehow felt I had to explain that not all of us hobby bakers are looking to ruin the cake world for those of you in business.

soldiernurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soldiernurse Posted 6 Jul 2016 , 7:12pm
post #5 of 54

..this may be a prime example of a newbie.....I consider myself, among these cake Pros, a newbie because I have only been baking cakes ~2 yrs as a hobby baker....while I've gotten progressively better, I'm far from where these Pros are but can still get oooos and aahs for my work...I have sooooooo much to learn. I'm not sure what you mean by "negative light" but I can only speak for myself by saying that the only reason I announce it is to let CC know my level so the explanations they give would make sense to me....

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 6 Jul 2016 , 7:17pm
post #6 of 54

@kstevens ‍ Plenty of people here refer to themselves as newbies. Newbies are beginners at anything.  Many refer to themselves as newbies to this board but qualify themselves as experienced bakers like you just did. And let me say from my knowledge of you from FNCC you are an excellent decorator - as good or better than any professional!

I don't think I've ever seen anyone here call anyone a newbie in a derogatory way such as "You don't know what you're talking about, you're just a newbie!" But the old timers do refer to newbies in general as those who are either new to baking, the business or both. It's a simple lack of knowledge - nothing to be ashamed of. Plenty of people here love helping in anyway they can. The newbie that gets the sideways glances are the ones who start a thread like: Help!!! I'm a newbie and have my first wedding cake order! I'm so excited!!! Can anyone give me the best ever of all time white cake recipe? What size pans should I use? Can anyone recommend a good tutorial on how to stack a cake? My cake is due this Saturday!!! 

Happy to see you on other parts of the boards!

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 6 Jul 2016 , 7:39pm
post #7 of 54

Quote by @kstevens on 16 minutes ago

I haven't noticed anyone referring to themselves as a newbie.  It seems to be more of a negative tag coming from members to describe other members on the site.  It just made me stop and wonder if it meant new to the site and if we were (really) welcomed?  

I am a hobbyist, been baking since I was a kid, ventured into cake decorating about 4 yrs ago, avid user of google/youtube/CC  ......I know what you are referring to......The tone usually comes from the same individuals who obviously have a chip on their shoulder. As soon as I see their avatar I already know whats coming, if its more of the same, I move on. They are by far in the minority and should not deter you from being part of CC.

Fondant and gum paste are my medium and this year I have taken the dive into piping buttercream.  I am in awe of those who can make those beautiful BC flowers. The folks on CC have been so helpful and supportive answering all my questions, while I try to improve my BC skills. Proud to be a newbie!!! grinning.png

CC needs variety, newbies, hobbyists, veterans, in business, outta business, wanna be in business, its why we all keep coming back. IMHO

mattyeatscakes Posted 6 Jul 2016 , 8:19pm
post #8 of 54

@carolinecakes perfectly said! bowtie.png

"CC needs variety, newbies, hobbyists, veterans, in business, outta business, wanna be in business, its why we all keep coming back. IMHO"

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 6 Jul 2016 , 9:04pm
post #9 of 54

I still considered myself a newbie. I've been baking and decorating solid for about a year and half and running a legitimate business for 9 months. I'm by no means an idiot but I'm far from knowing everything lol. I have more to contribute to the business related questions/threads bc that's what I've researched and learned by trial and error the most up to this point. I embrace the term newbie bc maybe one day I'll be a pro. Thats the goal anyways :)

There is a difference between a newbie willing to learn and glean off the wonderful knowledge provided by the pros here and  the "I don't know what I'm doing and I'm just took this order help me" newbies and then they disappear never to be seen or heard from again. Or pricing questions with a picture and no further details saying  "I need a price quick"  never to be seen or heard from again. i try to contribute as much as I can as well as ask when I need to. I always seem to get positive and helpful responses so I think a lot of it is how you ask, respond and contribute to cc. 

carolinecakes Posted 6 Jul 2016 , 11:47pm
post #10 of 54

Quote by @Pastrybaglady on 4 hours ago

@kstevens ‍ And let me say from my knowledge of you from FNCC you are an excellent decorator - as good or better than any professional.

Oh yeah kstevens got skills!!!!!!

carolinecakes Posted 7 Jul 2016 , 12:08am
post #11 of 54

@mattyeatscakes ‍ 

[postimage id="4555" thumb="900"]

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 7 Jul 2016 , 12:16am
post #12 of 54

I have been baking since I was 12 i'm in my 40s now. I only get to decorate a cake about once a year. I started decorating cakes because I knew this is what I needed to work. I don't get the snarkiness that some have about newbies we all started as virgins, let's share the cake love

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 7 Jul 2016 , 1:25am
post #13 of 54

Quote by @Webake2gether on 4 hours ago

There is a difference between a newbie willing to learn and glean off the wonderful knowledge provided by the pros here and  the "I don't know what I'm doing and I'm just took this order help me" newbies and then they disappear never to be seen or heard from again. Or pricing questions with a picture and no further details saying  "I need a price quick"  never to be seen or heard from again. i try to contribute as much as I can as well as ask when I need to. I always seem to get positive and helpful responses so I think a lot of it is how you ask, respond and contribute to cc. 

This is the main issue when people get impatient with people on here. When someone genuinely wants to understand something or learn something it's pretty clear. When they just want a quick fix and someone to do the work for them it's irritating to everyone, not just "old timers." I try to answer questions that I know the answer to and people will get irritated if they don't get the answer they want. It's not a matter of learning for them, they just want to be told they're right. 

Plus there are people everywhere who want to be offended, so you can't please everyone no matter how well-intentioned a response is. I've seen perfectly innocent responses on here with people saying that they're leaving CC because of it. So I just answer and expect that someone somewhere isn't going to like something I said eventually, but whatever...

kstevens Posted 7 Jul 2016 , 3:01am
post #14 of 54

Wow! Thank you all for chiming in.  I came home from playing soccer and was quite surprised to see all the new responses.

When I posed the question it was because something I read from a previous thread had sort of stuck with me.  It was something along the lines of a lot of the old timers no longer showing a presence on CC and that it was now just a training place for newbies.  I don't know why that stuck with me but it did.  To say that the term newbie is always in a negative light may have been an over generalization, I guess because I was thinking about that particular comment.

I must say that when I pose a question I always get helpful answers and have never been made to feel bad about what I asked.  Everyone seems willing to share their knowledge and that is great!  I've paid for a few tutorials along the way and to get everything here for free....at first I was like really?  Free help from all these talented people?  I hit the jackpot!  Very appreciative of the time you all take out of your day :-) 

@Pastrybaglady ‍thank you for the kind words. I really do enjoy taking part in FNCC.  I stood back & watched for quite some time before joining in and now wish I'd done so sooner.

@carolinecakes I totally agree with what you said "CC needs variety, newbies, hobbyists, veterans, in business, outta business, wanna be in business, its why we all keep coming back. IMHO". (I don't know how to do the quote thing that I see the rest of you doing).  Thanks for the comment about my work  :-) 

@Webake2gether ‍and @costumeczar ‍I agree with everything you said about there being some who genuinely want to learn and contribute to CC and others who just want all the answers and then you never hear from them again.

I understand that it must be frustrating to you long time members to keep seeing the same questions over and over again but I do know there for a bit it was difficult to find old posts.  I tried searching a few times but each time just got an error message.  Thankfulky that now seems resolved.

I think the world of sugar art, caking, whatever you'd like to call it, is an ever changing art and we all continue to learn as we go, even the pros.  I'm glad that the term newbie is not a negative in everyone's eyes as was my impression from that post that stuck in my head even though I knew those feelings weren't being expressed by everyone.  Did that even make sense?

Thank you all for taking part and happy caking!

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 7 Jul 2016 , 4:43am
post #15 of 54

I think the only time I get annoyed  (although I'm not a problem myself) is when "newbies" ask questions like:

I'm making a 5 tiered wedding cake for a client in a week from now. It's my first time baking. I need a good recipe for cake that is enough because i doNT want the cake to be crushed. Also please tell me how much batter I need for each tier. And need a perfect buttercream recipe too. What exactly is fondant and how do you put it on the cake. Send me a step by step instruction and oh...how much do I charge for a wedding cake?

I know some people are very sweet and even try to help. But in my head I'm like to best help/advise I can give this person is to RUN! LOL

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Jul 2016 , 8:07am
post #16 of 54

i know exactly who you are referencing -- they are called baiters -- don't take the bait -- overlook that old tired stuff

hey when a new procedure comes along I'm a newbie -- right? like i haven't done any of the picture inside the batter cakes yet -- I'm a newbie at that -- but the procedure is not even new anymore either blush.png just any minute now...

like a sweet person on here said, 'it's not what you say it's how you say it"

there's no one collective 'council' that is cc it's just one global opportunity to speak individually to others about something we love to do and share -- Jackie has certain rules but the only other guideline on here is be cordial --

anybody trying to establish their own rules to apply to the business forum or anything else is woefully out of bounds -- nobody has to show a business license -- one poor person on here can hardly post without reminding everyone that they are legal legitimate did it by the book -- y'know it's ok -- chill a little -- nobody is or should be checking id's -- it's an open free forum supplied by individuals --

all the forums are freely open to all of us -- we're not bound by someone else's 'rules' unless they are Jackie's --

kayra850 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayra850 Posted 7 Jul 2016 , 8:24am
post #17 of 54

hello to all,

english is not ma nativ language and I apologize for any errors.

newbie- an inexperienced newcomer to a particular activity. That is who we are.

kstevens   everything you said is like you've copy-paste my observe, thoughts and feelings. And the other participants in this forum have said a lot of the right words.
I have also discovered fondant and gum paste couple years ago, and trying through CC, Google and YouTube to learn new techniques just because it's my hobby. OCD !
I love CC. It helps me in learning and getting skills. Forums and blogs are exactly what I need. I like to read the questions and answers. This variety of members works for me and I sincerely thank all the participants of the forums.
Lately I note that  experienced members have regrets because good topics and discussions are missing. They feel that CC lost its curiosity, and replaced with *stupid* questions from newbies.
CC will not be better by itself. We are the ones who make the page good or bad. There is no need to put blame on newbies. We/They are here to stay.

Older and expirienced members have the freedom to lead an interesting discussion.They are not obliged to read irritating questions such as * how much should I charge, how big cake to bake for 20 people ... etc*.

Maybe we all have to settle down and think about how to make CC better, more curious, more encouraging, more pleasant for each of us.

-K8memphis Posted 7 Jul 2016 , 8:30am
post #18 of 54

what she said ^^^^

bravo, kayra850 -- well done well stated

carolinecakes Posted 7 Jul 2016 , 11:43am
post #19 of 54

@kayra850 ‍ English may not be your first language, but you said it well!!!  Very well indeed!!

Webake2gether Posted 7 Jul 2016 , 1:49pm
post #20 of 54

Just to chime in if I were to ask a business related question I would want an actual business owner to answer so that does matter to me and it should matter to those asking business related questions. mistakes made in business could be damaging far beyond the cake. And that wasn't even the point of this thread to weed out the hobbyist and the pros (which I am not a pro don't claim to be either) it was simply asking what is a newbie. we were all saying our current skill level hobby or otherwise its important to note that even though I'm a newbie I do run a business that's where I'm at. I'm not a hobby baker but apparently if your not a hobby baker you can't say so?  I didn't see anyone setting any imaginary rules I've never even seen a rule from cc either. I have nothing against newbies (myself included) at all I actually learn quite a bit when I read the threads posted even when they don't pertain to me right now it's proved to be vital later. I actually prefer "newbie" comments and posts bc at least most of the time their posts are relevant to the thread and not an off handed dig. People point the finger at "old timers" saying it's their fault newbies don't stay but I don't think it's that at all. Or "old timers" blaming newbies for why cc isn't as vibrant as it once was.  I became a cc lurker more than anything bc of the nonsense that was going on not the honest answers. At this point I'll go back to lurking bc it's not worth the headache to deal with people. I mean heaven forbid we say anything about being a business owner. I bet if I had said I'm just a hobby baker that wouldn't have been said. ive never said anything negative or rude about those whose do cakes for a hobby or newbie bakers. The differences between myself and a hobby baker is they love doing cakes and have a passion for them and I do them to make money and don't necessarily love doing them for fun anymore like I did before. I'm actually a little envious of those who do this as a hobby bc cakes have become a job not a passion. There are some crazy good hobby bakers that blow me away and I can't believe they don't sell their work. My saying anything about being in business has nothing to do with being better or doing it right it's about this is where I am and this is where you are how can we HELP each other. Seems like we just can't say anything without someone picking it apart and making something out of nothing. We became a business bc people wanted to buy our cakes and I wanted to sell them not to somehow gain some notariety on a public forum for doing things "right". We are legitimate bc I don't want to get in trouble with local and federal government agencies over a cake so I mean whatever lol. I generally don't care what people do I just don't want to get in trouble the rules are the rules for me and shoot me for being a rule follower.

-K8memphis Posted 7 Jul 2016 , 1:55pm
post #21 of 54

sorry if my comment offended you -- if you consider the rest of that post we actually agree -- I'm not sure what you have against me but I am your friend

-K8memphis Posted 7 Jul 2016 , 2:28pm
post #22 of 54

since you are all licensed then you are ok, right? relax a little -- it's ok --

i already apologized 

i wrote that at about 3am -- I wake up all night long -- it was a poor choice of words -- I actually thought I deleted it --

i hope you can forgive me for giving you good advice

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 7 Jul 2016 , 4:54pm
post #23 of 54

Whoa, did I miss anything here?

Where is all that coming from @K8memphis?  What are you apologising for? I went back and forth...either a post in between was deleted or I am lost.

@webake2gether I truly hope people don't make life changing business decisions purely based on some comments made on an Internet forum! 

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 7 Jul 2016 , 5:04pm
post #24 of 54

I'm the one who said that CC has become a training ground for newbies, but I truly didn't mean that in a negative way.

I understand that some started as hobby bakers and before they knew it, people were literally begging to buy their cakes. So they fell into a business before they had any idea how to run one. I get that. I started exactly that way.

However, I had enough of a business accounting background to realize there was so much more to it than taking orders and decorating cakes. I had baked and decorated for years. I had my recipes set. I knew how to make adjustments and think on the fly. I spent an entire week working on pricing without asking anyone to do it for me.

I love reading the questions on CC and I have learned so much from the different answers. I try to help when the subject is something I know a little bit about.

What I do object to is those who want to have a business but they don't want to put in the hours of work that are necessary. They want shortcuts and easy answers. They don't want to hear that they need permission to do certain designs. They get upset when the information isn't forthcoming with a smile.

If I have offended anyone, I sincerely apologize, but I have done the work and put in the years and you should, too.

carolinecakes Posted 7 Jul 2016 , 5:54pm
post #25 of 54

At this point I'll go back to lurking bc it's not worth the headache to deal with people. 

If we all did that, there would be no forum.......we all have different personalities, come from different backgrounds, so things will get testy at times, annoying, frustrating,but the differences is  exactly what makes this site so amazing.

Can't we all bake together? kissing_heart.png

I have nothing but but the utmost respect for people who run their own business!!

kstevens Posted 7 Jul 2016 , 6:31pm
post #26 of 54

@jgifford ‍ thank you for post.  As I said, I don't know why what you said stuck with me but it did.  I wasn't offended but more curious as to what exactly was meant by a newbie and if they were welcome to the site.  I thought it was a fair question but it looks as though this thread has stirred the pot a bit?  I did take it as a negative comment but that was me and that is why I'm glad you jumped in to say that's not how you meant it.  It wasn't the first time that I felt newbie was being used in a negative light so I wasn't pointing the finger solely at you.

Like @carolinecakes ‍ I too have the utmost respect for anyone who runs their own business. I could never do it!  Cakes seem to consume my life too much by times as it is.  I have had several tell me that I need to open up shop and my reply is always "no way!". I know better than do that.  I can price a cake for myself and so on but my brain is not a business one.  Not my cup of tea.  I get enjoyment out of it being a hobby so that is s how it shall remain.  The market is already flooded in my opinion anyways, lots of people doing cakes out of their homes, and I don't think a cake shop would make it in this area.  

@kayra850 ‍ your post was very well written! You were better spoken than me and English is my first language.

Webake2gether Posted 7 Jul 2016 , 7:49pm
post #27 of 54

@julia1812 ‍ People of course make decisions based on what someone on the internet says or else there wouldn't be the the 1000's of how do I price this cake posts. I personally don't ask business related questions unless I need steered in the right direction for instance what can I read or purchase type of guidance from people who have successful businesses. There are plenty of people answering questions who don't really know from experience and it's misguided and there are people who think well  geez they were so nice for answering so it must be right bc it kind of makes sense to me and off they go. People are just as quick to give out bad advice as there are people willing to take it. That's why I stick to what l I know and let others answer the rest while I keep watch to learn something I didn't know before. 

Im all for getting along and being encouraging to one another so the back handed I'm saying something nice but really insulting you doesn't sit well with me and no apologies needed. I'm not hurt or offended it's a public forum and I'm a big girl. I don't say rude or snarky things in a passive aggressive way if I don't like something someone posts I move on and don't comment about it.  And I don't really like reading the snarky comments or seeing other people deal with it bc it might hurt their feelings. I've got a thick skin and I don't care if people don't like me that's life but I know not everyone is like that and people will leave just as fast as they came if they are going to be insulted or see it happening to others. Not a good atmosphere. 

I think there is usually a common line of respect here on cc and occasionally it happens that toes are stepped on I get that I always try to make sure what I post when answering a question is respectful and can't be taken the wrong way but I'm sure at times it doesn't read the way I intended it to. I also wait to respond to things if I feel bothered by something I read I allow myself time to read it again to make sure I wasn't making a mountain out of a mole hill and most of the it's me reading it opposite of how its intended but I see little jabs happen on here from time to time and it's off putting so if cc has a chance to thrive once more maybe the personal jabs should take a back seat on the forums  bc that's not what we're all here for right? People choose to lurk to avoid being thrown under the bus if they say something that others don't agree with. And then constantly wonder if I post this or say that will that cause a problem it's exhausting and All I want to do is be a part of an online community of people who share the same interest and try to be of benefit to others. im thankful for cc bc there is so much to be learned from people here that's why I keep coming back bc there are people here whose knowledge and help is invaluable :) 

-K8memphis Posted 7 Jul 2016 , 8:20pm
post #28 of 54

@jgifford -- at 3 in the morning when I said I know exactly who kstevens meant regarding the newbie comments -- I wasn't thinking of you -- in fact you and I and some others on here know how much cc has tremendously improved as far as 'misunderstandings' go -- thank God --

i am absolutely impressed by your candor and willingness to step up and offer your best wishes on more than one occasion regarding possible misunderstandings --

it's a distinct pleasure to know you here online and I look forward to seeing your creations and comments --

best to you

mattyeatscakes Posted 7 Jul 2016 , 8:42pm
post #29 of 54

Now i really am lost. As @julia1812 asked, were posts deleted? Because I do not know where or when the conversation actually became a little hostile/tensed. This thread was just a question about whom we considered a newbie, and we all were at some point and probably still are.

Regarding the business forum, I think I remembered reading a post by one of the administrators (either by Heath or Jackie) that posts should only be for members with business license.  I think this is to guarantee that questions will be answered by business people who actually know what they are talking about. People with business experience, know that law behind having a business. People who can actually give sound BUSINESS advice.  I guess that is why it's a business forum. But that certainly should not stop people from reading them, or even ask questions or clarifications. Everyone can definitely benefit from these, tips that you can apply to your own life/business/passion/whatever.  It's like having a mentor for the business side of caking.  You get the Aha! moments...

anyhoots, i do wish we could just get along. Be cordial and respectful of what we say or how we say it. Being that this is an online site, people reading these comments can read them the wrong way, or might not even realize the sarcasm or dry humour.

hope everyone is having an awesome day! I am stoked, two more days and it's the weekend! ohhh wait.. i'm a cake decorator stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes.png

-K8memphis Posted 7 Jul 2016 , 8:50pm
post #30 of 54

if memory serves -- what I remember heath saying is that we should assume that posters are legal and we should not out right ask them if they are or not -- because this practice of asking had caused a lot of 'misunderstandings' --

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%