Korean Buttercream Recipe?

Decorating By HenrysHungry Updated 8 Jun 2018 , 4:00pm by Loyocakitchen

HenrysHungry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HenrysHungry Posted 8 Feb 2016 , 9:09pm
post #1 of 349

Hello everybody!☺

I'm new to the forum but was wondering if anyone knows of a recipe for korean buttercream? I've noticed that all the korean buttercream flowers are super shiny and glossy and almost translucent, I have no idea what recipe to use to get this effect. It is so beautiful and more delicate than the ordinary American or swiss buttercreams. I can't find any recipes on the Internet anywhere

348 replies
craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 9 Feb 2016 , 4:02am
post #2 of 349

Are you talking a bout this? http://myfunfoodiary.com/2015/05/new-post-loads-of-fun-making-flower-butter-cream-at-spatula-baking-course/

The technique for the Indonesian BC is described here: http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/339/ post #12

I hope that's what you are looking for! Otherwise please post/link to a picture of it to help others chime in.

Bakrwomyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakrwomyn Posted 14 Feb 2016 , 7:24pm
post #3 of 349

I'm not sure what this "Korean buttercream" is and I'm Korean American. I usually just use Swiss Meringue buttercream and it always comes out shiny and glossy.[postimage id="2501" thumb="900"]

Didie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Didie Posted 5 Mar 2016 , 8:52am
post #4 of 349

Hi! It seems like we are looking for the exact same buttercream! I know it's no ordinary buttercream and they are not sharing the recipe anywhere. The only way to get the recipe is by attending their expensive classes. Some indonesian bloggers who attended one of the classes said that they are not allowed to share the recipe. Crazy right?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 5 Mar 2016 , 2:06pm
post #5 of 349

I'd try usigng a meringue that has powdered sugar added into it. It might not be the same thing, but it will give you the look of what I've seen on the buttercream flower cakes, and it's a little stiffer than a straight meringue, so it would probably pipe well.

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 5 Mar 2016 , 6:39pm
post #6 of 349

I have been looking at these korean buttercream flowers this week and I found this site there are tutorials in a foreign language, use google translate, the recipe is on there also. Her work is beautiful.....

http://www.azlitamasammanis.com/2015/04/chrysanthemum-flowers.html?m=1

Buttercream

150 gm shortening
200 gm icing sugar
pineapple or strawberry flavoring is no color

Sift icing sugar
Combine all ingredients and beat with a slow speed until thick
Do not beat too long later flaccid

After that can put dyes

* This buttercream cake just for decoration is not to throw a cake or layer cake for ya .. just decorations or flowers.

bakemeenchanted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakemeenchanted Posted 6 Mar 2016 , 12:14am
post #8 of 349

Hi there! Do you mean something like these?[postimage id="2884" thumb="900"][postimage id="2885" thumb="900"][postimage id="2886" thumb="900"]

costumeczar Posted 6 Mar 2016 , 12:38am
post #9 of 349

Oh ugh, so it's basically crisco and sugar? Yummy...not.

carolinecakes Posted 6 Mar 2016 , 12:52am
post #10 of 349

Yes, I know not tasty. I haven't tried it but she also has a SMBC recipe on her  web site.

bakemeenchanted Posted 6 Mar 2016 , 12:54am
post #11 of 349

From what I've seen in Korean dramas and what I can glean off the internet is that these flowers aren't made of buttercream at all, but are instead made of something called 'angeum'. It's basically a paste made with sweet potatoes and sugar. It's usually paired up with rice cakes instead of regular cakes. Rice cakes are a traditional sweet common in a lot of countries in the Far East. The angeum can be formed into a paste and coloured much like buttercream. Check out this article:

bakemeenchanted Posted 6 Mar 2016 , 1:30am
post #12 of 349

But then there's also this lady who says that she has a patented recipe for buttercream which is glossy and translucent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l8k-IibmMQ&ebc=ANyPxKpbtjLBExOFvhqQMmtnsFbiWzlCs_TxYM5Z9BcKmgLnfrFed_eBPOaGR_hHXWbnI5Ech-mAUAoBfjkN1Ikc4nsKGARtVA

http://www.ggcakraft.com/

Sorry for the multiple posts!

carolinecakes Posted 6 Mar 2016 , 2:48am
post #13 of 349

Here is another BC recipe, it's not a Korean BC, but the pic below shows the flowers made using the recipe. Might be something you may want to play around with.  I ordered my tips and I can't wait to try my hand at these flowers.

http://www.notquitenigella.com/2016/01/14/best-buttercream-recipe/

Best Buttercream Recipe

costumeczar Posted 6 Mar 2016 , 3:10am
post #14 of 349

Anyone who says they have a patented recipe doesn't know how patents work. You can't patent or copyright ingredients, just the method to make something. But if the patent says "Mix for ten minutes" you can mix for eleven or nine and you haven't violated the patent. It's very tricky, but that sweet potato thing sounds unpleasant anyway. Potato starch would make the icing thicker and give it that shine, though. Yuck. I'd stick with the meringue buttercreams, or anything else. 

carolinecakes Posted 6 Mar 2016 , 4:26am
post #15 of 349

@HenrysHungry have you see the flowers by ArtyCakes based in the UK, but quite similar to the Korean BC flowers. Its their signature flowers. Check it out........

which seems more like a certain trend in flower arrangements rather than different types of flowers.
Read more at http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/827999/korean-buttercream-recipe#b5jSqDkAKTc7uSy0.99
which seems more like a certain trend in flower arrangements rather than different types of flowers.
Read more at http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/827999/korean-buttercream-recipe#b5jSqDkAKTc7uSy0.99

https://www.pinterest.com/artycakes/arty-cakes-buttercream-floral-cakes/

@bakemeenchanted lots of interesting info, but I gotta tell you I like my sweet potatoes fries alongside a nice chicken breast and a side of green beans lol. Oh that was dinner tonight. So I'm gonna pass on that angeum.

When I make these flowers, I want them to taste as good as they look, so I guess I'll be tweaking some BC/SMBC/IMBC

@costumeczar ‍ when would you add the PS to the meringue.

Sorry if I hijacked this thread, can you tell I'm a little obsessed with these flowers......lol

bakemeenchanted Posted 6 Mar 2016 , 4:59am
post #16 of 349

Lol @costumeczar ‍ ‍  @carolinecakes ‍ ! I totally hear ya and I agree. But I had the info, thought it might be relevant, so figured I'd share. It's an ethnic dessert, which I'm sure tastes great, but just not on cake

costumeczar Posted 6 Mar 2016 , 2:19pm
post #17 of 349

Yeah, that's nasty...You could also use those powdered mashed potatoes in a box and pipe them using that, but no...

@carolinecakes ‍ You'd just make the meringue buttercream as usual, then add the powdered sugar to it after it was done. I've done a hybrid of American buttercream and IMBC and it works, and adding the sugar just stiffens it up and makes it a little sweeter, obviously.

Didie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Didie Posted 6 Mar 2016 , 4:52pm
post #18 of 349

I did asked the baker who "patented" her buttercream whether it is a real buttercream or just a traditional korean white bean/potato paste. And I didn't get any reply. Lol

costumeczar Posted 6 Mar 2016 , 7:06pm
post #19 of 349

Quote by @Didie on 2 hours ago

I did asked the baker who "patented" her buttercream whether it is a real buttercream or just a traditional korean white bean/potato paste. And I didn't get any reply. Lol

Hahahaha! I guess you have the answer.

carolinecakes Posted 7 Mar 2016 , 8:04pm
post #20 of 349

That's funny....

@ costumeczar thanks, I will give it a try.

bakemeenchanted Posted 7 Mar 2016 , 8:18pm
post #21 of 349

@carolinecakes ‍ keep us posted on your progress, would you? I'd love to be able to pipe a more delicate looking flower than ABC yields. Thanks!

carolinecakes Posted 8 Mar 2016 , 3:09pm
post #22 of 349

Sure thing, I feel I am better at making gum paste flowers, piping not so much. Practice practice.......

bakemeenchanted Posted 8 Mar 2016 , 5:19pm
post #23 of 349

Same here! You can't fiddle with buttercream once it's piped, gum paste is whole lot more forgiving 8\

Guess I should practice too...

Anyway, best of luck to you! smile.png

YvonneChanCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakemeenchanted Posted 8 Mar 2016 , 10:57pm
post #25 of 349

Ooooh yes @YvonneChanCakes ‍ ! That seems to be what I was talking about earlier. Unfortunately, OP seems to have disappeared, so we don't know if that's what they are looking for 8(

White beans also makes more sense than sweet potatoes, colour-wise.

Have you tasted it before? I've tried red bean paste before and it was nice, but I don't think it would taste good with cake. How is the white bean paste?

YvonneChanCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YvonneChanCakes Posted 9 Mar 2016 , 2:11am
post #26 of 349

I haven't tasted white bean either.  I've only had red bean in chinese desserts.  I would imagine that they taste similar though.  There seems to be a lot of sugar in it so I'm guessing it just tastes really sweet!

bakemeenchanted Posted 9 Mar 2016 , 11:55am
post #27 of 349

Lol! yeah I guess it would just taste super sweet. Thanks for the info though 8)

craftybanana2 Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 3:46pm
post #28 of 349

Just now I slowly melted my regular (all butter) buttercream and poured it on a cake. It does seem to work. So I'm hoping this will be a good way to cover those annoying pans with all the little details popped out. I started microwaving it at 8 sec intervals, stirring in between. Once it started to liquefy I then microwaved at 5 sec intervals until it was thin enough to use. If you go too long the butter separates. I could've gone thinner, but I my crumb coat wasn't super smooth, so it being thick made the top pretty smooth and I was able to manipulate it down the sides/corners with my spatula without a lot of effort. Just light pushing. It's in the fridge now, so I'll post a picture of my amateur attempt later!

craftybanana2 Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 3:48pm
post #29 of 349

Forgot to add, this is the pan I want to use it on: http://i.ebayimg.com/images/a/%28KGrHqUOKm4E2eCvWpgrBN0uWvnHLQ~~/s-l300.jpg Someone gifted it to me and I immediately thought, what a pain to ice. I'm trying to avoid having to star-tip everything.

ivymrspark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ivymrspark Posted 2 Apr 2016 , 6:03am
post #30 of 349

Hi,i think i know what kind of buttercream u rlooking for. It's glossy nd shiny. It's very simple .I figured out this recipe years ago. I dont understand how could they try to earn huge amount with this staff.....the pic post below is my work.It's made from normal buttercream.If you use the Korean buttercream,it would look more transparent.[postimage id="3442" thumb="900"]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%