Abc's The Lookout Last Night....

Decorating By Jeff_Arnett Updated 17 Jul 2013 , 5:49pm by sarahgale314

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 Jul 2013 , 4:18pm
post #61 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahgale314 

My kids have eaten my scratch cakes with Swiss meringue or French buttercream all their lives. We were invited to a party for a little girl in my 4 year old's nursery class at church, and the mom served box cake cupcakes topped with powdered sugar crisco (Wilton class) frosting. My kids took one bite of the cupcakes and then told me they were gross and refused to eat more. Since twinkies are back on the shelves, I bought a box and brought it home yesterday. I gave one to each of my kids. They asked, "What is it?" and then tried them. They hated them! I hadn't had one in years - they were gross! Weird texture, somehow dry and gooey at the same time, and the filling was sticky gooey with no actual flavor, just sweet. Blech! An eye opening test is to bake a good scratch recipe side by side with a box mix and taste them together, really noticing thr texture and flavor differences.

My daughter came home from a birthday party when she was about 6 and told me that the cake was gross. I told her that it was okay to not eat any but not to tell them that it was gross! She said that she just said that she wasn't hungry so she didn't want to finish it.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 14 Jul 2013 , 4:36pm
post #62 of 117

AMy kids are still firmly in the any cake is good cake category sadly.

costumeczar Posted 14 Jul 2013 , 6:44pm
post #63 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiandkyle 

My kids are still firmly in the any cake is good cake category sadly.

well, they hit that again when they hit the teenage years, if they're a boy at least.

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 14 Jul 2013 , 7:26pm
post #64 of 117

AI understand standards, but the girl who wouldn't have any of her own birthday cake because it was grocery store which I'm sure she had someone who paid for it and probably bent over backwars to plan a party that they could afford. What a spoiled brat. If my kid were that ungrateful i would have sent everyone home with a present and some cake.

costumeczar Posted 14 Jul 2013 , 8:07pm
post #65 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylawaylalayla 

I understand standards, but the girl who wouldn't have any of her own birthday cake because it was grocery store which I'm sure she had someone who paid for it and probably bent over backwars to plan a party that they could afford. What a spoiled brat. If my kid were that ungrateful i would have sent everyone home with a present and some cake.

She's not a spoiled brat at all, she's a very nice kid who happens to have had good scratch cake and didn't want to eat a crappy one. Her parents are very well-off, so they could have afforded something else if they wanted to. There is the issue of her parents being really hard on her to be the best in everything, so maybe her not wanting the cake was a little get back at them, but if you knew them you'd say they kind of deserved it.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 14 Jul 2013 , 8:21pm
post #66 of 117

In the end, all it proves is that different people like different things--and there's not anything wrong with that.......

although a few among us would try to have us believe that if someone doesn't prefer what they make, then that person is stupid, ugly, has an uneducated palate, don't know better, doesn't know what's good for them, eats their own boogers, and apparently doesn't know their own @$$ from a hole in the ground.................

It must be terribly burdensome, carrying around such contempt for those who might try your product and say that they prefer something else

.........unless, of course, you've first given them a good talking to.............

wagging-finger-21.jpg

kaylawaylalayla Posted 14 Jul 2013 , 8:26pm
post #67 of 117

AYeah what you said doesn't really make me thinknof her actions as less spoiled at all. Still ungrateful.

costumeczar Posted 14 Jul 2013 , 8:52pm
post #68 of 117
Quote:

Yeah what you said doesn't really make me thinknof her actions as less spoiled at all. Still ungrateful.

knowing her parents, she might have asked them to get her cake from me but they said that since she got a 98 on her report card instead of 100 she can't have it, I'm not kidding...

And maybenot, you seem to enjoy lecturing people too, so go ahead and shake your finger, we'll dance to the rhythm.

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 14 Jul 2013 , 9:06pm
post #69 of 117

Wow. Now off to the pool where I'll get to listen to the real housewives of have-nothing-to-do-but-make-fun-of-someone-who-doesn't-live-up-to-their-expectations...oh wait...

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 14 Jul 2013 , 9:32pm
post #70 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybenot 

In the end, all it proves is that different people like different things--and there's not anything wrong with that.......

although a few among us would try to have us believe that if someone doesn't prefer what they make, then that person is stupid, ugly, has an uneducated palate, don't know better, doesn't know what's good for them, eats their own boogers, and apparently doesn't know their own @$$ from a hole in the ground.................

It must be terribly burdensome, carrying around such contempt for those who might try your product and say that they prefer something else

.........unless, of course, you've first given them a good talking to.............

Trying to figure out what key this in, so I can dance appropriately. Oh, it's a sad somber waltz. No thanks, I think I'll go find some Billy Joel and laugh with the sinners, or somethin' like that. Good grief, can you not recognize a good fun discussion? And for the record, I eat corned beef hash. Out of a CAN. So I have no earthly right to knock someone for liking a box mix, but you have no right to wag your little finger and drop these stupid photos on us like we're little kids with no manners. This is where we get to be less than polite at times, so we can keep it together and be professional with customers who sometimes push our buttons. It must be terribly burdensome to be the self appointed forum scolder.icon_rolleyes.gif

AZCouture Posted 14 Jul 2013 , 9:34pm
post #71 of 117

My customers like my cake, other customers like others cake, and the world keeps turning. As a professional designer, I find the panel they chose, and the whole experiment as a whole, a joke. But it was entertaining, and that was basically the whole point (as any television show aims for), so they won.

SugaredSaffron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredSaffron Posted 14 Jul 2013 , 9:52pm
post #72 of 117

I love this forum.

kaylawaylalayla Posted 14 Jul 2013 , 10:15pm
post #73 of 117

AI love canned corned beef hash.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 14 Jul 2013 , 10:19pm
post #74 of 117

Ladies, ladies, ladies........................proper judges???????  Our proper judges are the ones who book with us for their wedding.  Not TV Food Show hosts.  Give the customer what they want..............the customer is always right.  :-)

jezsie52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jezsie52 Posted 14 Jul 2013 , 10:20pm
post #75 of 117

AMy best friend ask me two week a ago a cake full of roses for the next day. I Know she does not have Any money si I did not charge her. So it to ok me 6hours for the roses. I decided to make a Betty Croker cake cause I was in a hurry. What I did not Knew was That her guests was a chief Whois Had a big restaurant in Montréal. She called me the next day to tell me That he said That it was the best cake he ever ate. Could not believed my ears!!,

AZCouture Posted 14 Jul 2013 , 10:24pm
post #76 of 117
Quote:

I love canned corned beef hash.

I can handle one can a month, and it's so delicious until right up towards the end, I start thinking of dog food, and can't finish it. Doesn't help that it does indeed, smell like dog food! But cake...well, I prefer mine. 

kaylawaylalayla Posted 14 Jul 2013 , 10:27pm
post #77 of 117

AIt always reminds me of dog food lol. I like when my grandma makes it, she cooks it til the pink turns a really deep red/Brown. And serves it with steak sauce

maybenot Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 2:49am
post #78 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

...but you have no right to wag your little finger and drop these stupid photos on us like we're little kids with no manners......

Sorry, in what size would you like that shoe??????

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 2:52am
post #79 of 117

AMaybe someone drew on the cake with a pencil.

AZCouture Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 3:06am
post #80 of 117

A

Original message sent by maybenot

Sorry, in what size would you like that shoe??????

Biggest one you got! Now go be a crab somewhere else!

AZCouture Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 3:09am
post #81 of 117

A

Original message sent by kaylawaylalayla

It always reminds me of dog food lol. I like when my grandma makes it, she cooks it til the pink turns a really deep red/Brown. And serves it with steak sauce

I just nuke mine. Grossest possible way to "cook" it, I suppose.:-D

SugaredSaffron Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 9:08am
post #82 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by jezsie52 

My best friend ask me two week a ago a cake full of roses for the next day. I Know she does not have Any money si I did not charge her. So it to ok me 6hours for the roses. I decided to make a Betty Croker cake cause I was in a hurry. What I did not Knew was That her guests was a chief Whois Had a big restaurant in Montréal. She called me the next day to tell me That he said That it was the best cake he ever ate. Could not believed my ears!!,

Say what now?

maybenot Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 9:44pm
post #83 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugaredSaffron 

Say what now?

I would imagine that perhaps the poster's first language is not English.

Her friend asked her, with just one day's notice, to make a cake covered in roses . 

Because the roses alone took 6 hrs., and the friend didn't have a lot of money to pay for the cake, the poster chose to use a box mix by Betty Crocker for the cake itself (this being quicker and less expensive). 

What the poster didn't know was that one of the guests at the party was a prominent restaurant owner/chef from Montreal (an educated palate???) and that he said that it was the best cake he'd ever eaten.

embersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
embersmom Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 10:22pm
post #84 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybenot 

I would imagine that perhaps the poster's first language is not English.

Her friend asked her, with just one day's notice, to make a cake covered in roses . 

Because the roses alone took 6 hrs., and the friend didn't have a lot of money to pay for the cake, the poster chose to use a box mix by Betty Crocker for the cake itself (this being quicker and less expensive). 

What the poster didn't know was that one of the guests at the party was a prominent restaurant owner/chef from Montreal (an educated palate???) and that he said that it was the best cake he'd ever eaten.

That's exactly how I read it.

jezsie52 Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 11:56pm
post #85 of 117

AMaybenot

You are exactly right . My main language is french and what you explained is exactly what I wanted to say. I dont know what I did say that was wrong.

maybenot Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 12:07am
post #86 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by jezsie52 

Maybenot

You are exactly right . My main language is french and what you explained is exactly what I wanted to say. I dont know what I did say that was wrong.

Bonjour!

Il n'ya pas de problème. L'explication que vous avez donnée était très bien - j'ai juste clarifié un peu.

Pardonnez mon français rouillé - il a été de nombreuses années, depuis mes classes au lycée.

Votre anglais est bien meilleur que mon français!

jezsie52 Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 12:34am
post #87 of 117

AMaybenot

Your french is awsome. You should practice more often because you are very good

Carrie789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carrie789 Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 1:26am
post #88 of 117

That is like the taste test one of the food companies conducted. They gave a group of professional chefs baked goods, some with real vanilla and some with imitation vanilla. The group was quite embarrassed when they learned that all of them had picked the imitation vanilla items. What you are used to, your prejudices, and your expectations make a large impact on what you like. You could have the most delicious cake ever, and there would be people who wouldn't like it. And, you could have the most vile cake and there would be people who love it. As long as I can eat what I like, and most of my customers are happy, why should I care what anyone else eats?

SugaredSaffron Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 2:55am
post #89 of 117

No I understood your post jezsie, I was saying say what now to the betty crocker cake and the chef of the restaurant, really? He must not be a very good chef to think that was the best cake he'd ever tasted. No offence to you at all but it's a box mix and he's supposed to be a chef. That's like a chef saying a lasagne made with Dolmio jar sauce was the best he ever tasted.

costumeczar Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 10:42am
post #90 of 117

A

Original message sent by Carrie789

And, you could have the most vile cake and there would be people who love it.

Twinkies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%