Abc's The Lookout Last Night....

Decorating By Jeff_Arnett Updated 17 Jul 2013 , 5:49pm by sarahgale314

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 4:08pm
post #91 of 117

A

Original message sent by costumeczar

[quote name="Carrie789" url="/t/760849/abcs-the-lookout-last-night/75#post_7416507"] And, you could have the most vile cake and there would be people who love it.

Twinkies[/quote] oh absolutely. And Swiss Cake atolls and Snowballs, and Zebra cakes...basically any cake that can sit in a box on a shelf for a year is vile. And I used to eat them when I was a kid, I can't get past the thought of it now, let alone the smell. They taste like crap.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 5:21pm
post #92 of 117

Why is everyone so bothered by what other people like? 

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 5:40pm
post #93 of 117

AWho's bothered? It's just conversation. But it is increasingly obvious that food as a whole is pretty much being replaced by packaged instant fake stuff. That bothers me on a personal level, as far as feeding my family. A professionally trained chef saying a Betty Crocker cake was the best he ever had? Amusing. A panel of random people saying the same thing? Oh I think Costumeczar explained that one well...double amusing! Still laughing about that one.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 5:42pm
post #94 of 117

ABut I will still enjoy my can of microwaved corned beef hash once a month, and try not to think of dog food while eating it.:-(

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 6:12pm
post #95 of 117

I would say that a cake from a good box mix, made with quality additional ingredients, and frosted with a good all-real-butter BC, trumps a scratch cake made from inferior ingredients and frosted with, say, all-shortening pseudo-BC.

That said, I will also say that every box mix cake I've had in at least the past 20 years, that didn't have a strong flavor of its own (e.g., DH spice, or a spice cake made by adding spices to a yellow cake mix), has seemed to have a disagreeably coconut-like note to the flavor (which is to say that I find even the slightest coconut-like note in any flavor to be disagreeable). Not sure if it's something in the mix, or if it's something imparted to it by the use of Canola oil. (I may try doing a plain white or yellow cake with corn oil instead, just to see if it is the oil, but my impression was that Canola was supposed to be devoid of any flavor of its own).

I swear, I distinctly recall that the box mixes from my childhood called for milk, rather than water, and I don't remember them calling for oil (butter, maybe) until they all started advertising "pudding in the mix".

Oh, and to the corned beef hash fans: I like Spam. I like it panfried in a generous wipe of oil; I like it with eggs; I like it in scalloped potatoes; I like it with waffles; I like it in that ultimate Hawaiian delicacy, Spam musubi (hold the nori on mine, please.) And remarkably, while turkey bacon is only a little bit closer to the taste and texture of pork bacon than it was when it was first introduced, turkey Spam tastes exactly like pork Spam.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 6:18pm
post #96 of 117

A

Original message sent by AZCouture

Who's bothered? It's just conversation. But it is increasingly obvious that food as a whole is pretty much being replaced by packaged instant fake stuff. That bothers me on a personal level, as far as feeding my family. A professionally trained chef saying a Betty Crocker cake was the best he ever had? Amusing. A panel of random people saying the same thing? Oh I think Costumeczar explained that one well...double amusing! Still laughing about that one.

I have to agree, it's becoming harder and harder to find good quality food and ingredients at affordable prices and that is annoying. I am finding more and more that manufacturers will start suddenly sneaking HFCS into products that I had previously relied upon to not have it. When we moved here to the US from Europe 6 years ago I was shocked at how expensive fresh food was, especially when compared to processed.

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 6:22pm
post #97 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

But I will still enjoy my can of microwaved corned beef hash once a month, and try not to think of dog food while eating it.icon_sad.gif

ERMAHGERD! a true guilty pleasure...

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 6:24pm
post #98 of 117

AThats it. I have to get of cake central. I have never craved cake and corn beef hash at the same time, or so strongly. Someone should make a corn beef hash cake.

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 6:31pm
post #99 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylawaylalayla 

Thats it. I have to get of cake central. I have never craved cake and corn beef hash at the same time, or so strongly. Someone should make a corn beef hash cake.

Quiet: the folks who make Cupcake Wars probably read this board!

(And I might add that there's certainly a precedent for another kind of "hash" showing up in baked goods!)

ellavanilla Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 6:33pm
post #100 of 117
Quote:

Thats it. I have to get of cake central. I have never craved cake and corn beef hash at the same time, or so strongly. Someone should make a corn beef hash cake.

OH SHOOT!!  I am laughing so hard!

kaylawaylalayla Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 6:37pm
post #101 of 117

AI didn't mean a corn beef hash cake lol I meant like a 3d cake of a can of corn beed hash :p

bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 6:39pm
post #102 of 117

AWhen it comes to food, everyone has their own palate. My husband would be fine with a cake from the bakery in Walmart. He knows mine are better but he doesn't care as long as he gets cake. Haha. I, on the other hand, am much pickier. He makes my birthday cakes using my recipes and knows a store cake isn't ok. I would rather have no cake at all. To each their own though. There is a market for everyone. Doesn't bother me in the slightest what someone else likes. You can't please them all no matter what side you are on.

ibeeflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibeeflower Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 6:45pm
post #103 of 117

I saw the video and it seemed like a joke. I'm not saying the "panel of experts" don't eat cake but to call them experts because one jumps out of cake, the other one is a beefcake, one a little girl who dresses in cupcake dresses and the last one is a guy who swallows food without tasting it,is a bit crazy. This seemed more like a plug for Betty Crocker. It just gave me that vibe. 

preety13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
preety13 Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 7:17pm
post #104 of 117

This thread is awesome! Everyone's palate is different. I currently use the WASC recipe but I'm also trying out scratch recipes to find one I like and can stick with. There's nothing wrong with either. As for the panel of judges...I wouldn't want my 3 yr old taste testing something on national television when I know he would easily eat the dogs food if I wasn't watching. No one needs to lecture anyone on these threads, its just good ol' fun conversation. And honestly if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen (i know..corny...hahahah). I love my Kraft Dinner with hot dogs and store bought potato salad, but then 99% of my meals are fresh homemade. I think if we can take our cooking and baking back to basics where we're providing our kids with fresh homemade meals we can eventually change the standard and reduce packaged food out there that's just not needed. 

AZ congrats on the top 100 that is awesome! You make amazing cakes and I aspire my cakes to be that beautiful one day. 

preety13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
preety13 Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 7:17pm
post #105 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeeflower 

I saw the video and it seemed like a joke. I'm not saying the "panel of experts" don't eat cake but to call them experts because one jumps out of cake, the other one is a beefcake, one a little girl who dresses in cupcake dresses and the last one is a guy who swallows food without tasting it,is a bit crazy. This seemed more like a plug for Betty Crocker. It just gave me that vibe. 

That sounds right! I wouldn't surprised.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 7:40pm
post #106 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeeflower 

Oh wow! I didn't even think of that, but I bet you're right! How much did they pay for that product placement? Too funny.

Annabakescakes Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 7:41pm
post #107 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbquikcomjamesl 

I would say that a cake from a good box mix, made with quality additional ingredients, and frosted with a good all-real-butter BC, trumps a scratch cake made from inferior ingredients and frosted with, say, all-shortening pseudo-BC.

That said, I will also say that every box mix cake I've had in at least the past 20 years, that didn't have a strong flavor of its own (e.g., DH spice, or a spice cake made by adding spices to a yellow cake mix), has seemed to have a disagreeably coconut-like note to the flavor (which is to say that I find even the slightest coconut-like note in any flavor to be disagreeable). Not sure if it's something in the mix, or if it's something imparted to it by the use of Canola oil. (I may try doing a plain white or yellow cake with corn oil instead, just to see if it is the oil, but my impression was that Canola was supposed to be devoid of any flavor of its own).

I swear, I distinctly recall that the box mixes from my childhood called for milk, rather than water, and I don't remember them calling for oil (butter, maybe) until they all started advertising "pudding in the mix".

Oh, and to the corned beef hash fans: I like Spam. I like it panfried in a generous wipe of oil; I like it with eggs; I like it in scalloped potatoes; I like it with waffles; I like it in that ultimate Hawaiian delicacy, Spam musubi (hold the nori on mine, please.) And remarkably, while turkey bacon is only a little bit closer to the taste and texture of pork bacon than it was when it was first introduced, turkey Spam tastes exactly like pork Spam.

My grandparents get a distinctly fishy taste from canola oil.

My brother's girlfriend is Hawaiian and she eats Spam, all the time, like it is meat or something. My brother always makes fun of her, but it is good natured.

ellavanilla Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 7:52pm
post #108 of 117

i can taste the coconut flavor too. i thought i was the only one. I also taste the chemical aftertaste, but i think a lot of people don't realize that's what it is. 

as for the 'people like what they like" that may be true, but I don't think there is anything wrong with trying to educate people and encouraging new taste experiences, especially in light of evidence that the glut of prepackaged foods on the market are harmful to the body in more ways than one. 

My BF never liked salmon or oysters. I treated him to some new recipes and techniques, now he can't get enough. He's always on the lookout for a new oyster bar to try.

nothing wrong with staking your reputation offering something better and yeah, i'm going to say it's better. a well crafted cake from scratch is a thing of beauty and delight. Even with the most humble of decorations, it's a sensory treat. 

will that stop people from eating canned hash? Hell no! LOL  But there is a time and place for both.

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 9:22pm
post #109 of 117
Quote:

I didn't mean a corn beef hash cake lol I meant like a 3d cake of a can of corn beed hash :p

That's not so scary an idea; after all, it's been done with a Spam can:

And for some reason, most people seem to find Spam scarier than corned beef hash.

(On both of my two trips to Hawaii, my last morning before flying home, I went to Lulu's, at the Diamond Head end of Waikiki [near the Honolulu Zoo], and had a breakfast that any Monty Python fan would appreciate: Spam, egg, Spam, rice, and Spam.)

And of course, Spam is meat. Classic pork Spam is a seasoned mix of ham and picnic shoulder. Turkey Spam is made from turkey breast, seasoned to taste exactly like pork Spam.

kaylawaylalayla Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 9:24pm
post #110 of 117

ASpam a lot lol

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 9:31pm
post #111 of 117

Anybody care for some "Lobster Thermidor aux crevettes with a Mornay sauce, garnished with truffle pâté, brandy, and a fried egg on top, and Spam"?

Carrie789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carrie789 Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 10:30pm
post #112 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie789 

And, you could have the most vile cake and there would be people who love it. As long as I can eat what I like, and most of my customers are happy, why should I care what anyone else eats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

oh absolutely. And Swiss Cake atolls and Snowballs, and Zebra cakes...basically any cake that can sit in a box on a shelf for a year is vile. And I used to eat them when I was a kid, I can't get past the thought of it now, let alone the smell. They taste like crap.

I do gluten free cakes and was testing recipes. There are various versions online for a gf chocolate cake made with canned beans. I fell for all the reviews from people who "loved" the cake. I can't think of a way to describe the taste, but the smell of beans was strong and got more pungent in the next couple of days.  That was a vile cake!

Carrie789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carrie789 Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 11:23pm
post #113 of 117
Quote:

And, you could have the most vile cake and there would be people who love it. As long as I can eat what I like, and most of my customers are happy, why should I care what anyone else eats?

Quote:

oh absolutely. And Swiss Cake atolls and Snowballs, and Zebra cakes...basically any cake that can sit in a box on a shelf for a year is vile. And I used to eat them when I was a kid, I can't get past the thought of it now, let alone the smell. They taste like crap.

I do gluten free cakes and was testing recipes. There are various versions online for a gf chocolate cake made with canned beans. I fell for all the reviews from people who "loved" the cake. I can't think of a way to describe the taste, but the smell of beans was strong and got more pungent in the next couple of days.  That was a vile cake!

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 2:12am
post #114 of 117

I like music, but I don't appreciate classical compositions--and i surely won't spend the money on box seats to the symphony.  I'll stick to itunes or the radio.  I am not a connoisseur of live, classical music (the only live music I like involves dancing, swaying and having my shoes stick to the floor at the end of the night. Call me a bumpkin, but I'll stick to Cracker on the radio. 

Box mix is the radio. Scratch baking is a live performance. (and like being a musician, your first performance isn't awesome. it takes a lot of practice to make it worth a ticket price).  

so that and...

SWISS CAKE ROLLS!!!!! 

Annabakescakes Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 5:06pm
post #115 of 117
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I saw that recipe, and I am so glad i had a cabinet full of gluten free flours, because I was tempted to try it! I will take your word for it, because that was my first thought, but then read all those reviews.... Thanks for the tip!

Annabakescakes Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 5:08pm
post #116 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorieleann 

I like music, but I don't appreciate classical compositions--and i surely won't spend the money on box seats to the symphony.  I'll stick to itunes or the radio.  I am not a connoisseur of live, classical music (the only live music I like involves dancing, swaying and having my shoes stick to the floor at the end of the night. Call me a bumpkin, but I'll stick to Cracker on the radio. 

Box mix is the radio. Scratch baking is a live performance. (and like being a musician, your first performance isn't awesome. it takes a lot of practice to make it worth a ticket price).  

so that and...

SWISS CAKE ROLLS!!!!! 

LMAO!

sarahgale314 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahgale314 Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 5:49pm
post #117 of 117

A[INDENT][/INDENT]

Original message sent by Annabakescakes

I saw that recipe, and I am so glad i had a cabinet full of gluten free flours, because I was tempted to try it! I will take your word for it, because that was my first thought, but then read all those reviews.... Thanks for the tip!

My favorite source for gluten free recipes (and awesome recipes in general) is http://bravetart.com/recipes/

Stella, the site author was Pastry Chef of the year 2012. She's a pastry chef in Kentucky at a French restaurant. She want to pastry schools in France and Japan! She is awesome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%