Any Aussies Here?

Lounge By baking-mama Updated 4 Sep 2015 , 9:24pm by Magic Mouthfuls

MG Creations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MG Creations Posted 23 May 2013 , 8:37am
post #181 of 797

Hi everyone, 

Its been a while since i last was on. So much has happened and i haven't had a chance to be on here.

I had a break around mum's anniversary and now I'm back on board.

I have some orders that have been thrown my way.

Something has come to my attention. I would like some advise if possible.

I have always been under the impression that a sponge cake could not be used as a base cake when using fondant or

making novelty cakes. Over the weekend a friend of mine went to a function and the cake from what has been said to me

was a two tier,  sponge round cake with sugar fondant (not butter cream or fresh cream) . The fondant was also a thick not

thin thickness (about a finger with- nail side up).

This has got me a bit baffled. I have always been told a butter cake or mud cake is the best and really the only cakes to be

used especially with novelty cakes.

Please can you give me some advise/opinions.

Hope everyone had a great mother's day. princess.gif

ashleabrowncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleabrowncake Posted 24 May 2013 , 1:24pm
post #182 of 797

Ajust wondering how do you present the cake board for a ganache cake? at present I have been leaving mine the plain silver covered mdf, but I don't like it and want it to look more finished but I am at a loss as to how

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 24 May 2013 , 2:42pm
post #183 of 797

If you have used any fondant  as decorations on the cake at all - take one of those colours and use that to cover the board... that way it will be co ordinated.

Welll that's what I do 

I will try and post a picture to show you one I did not long ago.

Think that worked lollll

Bluehue.

ashleabrowncake Posted 25 May 2013 , 10:57pm
post #184 of 797

Athanks Blue, that's a lovely cake :) the one that made me wonder was this one [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3017377/width/200/height/400[/IMG] which unfortunately had no fondant :( what would you guys do in this situation? as you can see I just left it plain coz I didn't think to ask beforehand lol

ashleabrowncake Posted 25 May 2013 , 10:58pm
post #185 of 797

Aalthough thinking about I could of covered the board in white fondant to match the roses, would that of looked silly?

Bluehue Posted 26 May 2013 , 6:00am
post #186 of 797

No - I don think it would have looked silly...

Hindsight is a great thing....great thoughts AFTER we have done something....icon_rolleyes.gif

We are our own worst critics..... comes with the craft.

But truly - the cake looks great.... the yellow and brown go lovely together don't they?

What was the occasion Ashlee?

Have spent the morning vaccing, mopping all floors and cleaning all the windows today.

Good grief, all of that took us 5 hours lollllllll

I am sure there is a better way to spend a Sunday lollll

But its lovely to know that everything has been done and all on the same day.

Ran around in the shower..... lippy and perfume on.... and diary open

Just waiting on customer to arrive for a consult.... wedding is in October.

Delivered a Birdcage birthday cake yesterday for a little girl turning 10...along with little cupcakes - lilac meringues, wrapped chocolates and  little cellophane tubes of purple smarties..... must get around to posting them on my site....

another thing on my list of *to do* lollll

Must dash.hhhhh...

Bluehue

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 26 May 2013 , 7:06am
post #187 of 797

ashlea you can cover your board with all the same things that you could if your cake was covered in fondant.  Just because it is covered in ganache does not mean that you have to treat the board differently.  If you are not giving the cake away you can put your cake straight onto a cake stand or I also quite often use wooden chopping boards that I keep especially for cakes.

http://cakecentral.com/t/708518/what-can-i-use-to-cover-cake-boards-and-foam-core-boards.  I haven't read all of this thread but it will give you some ideas.

We are still madly painting here so that the new carpets can go in this week or next.  Hardly seems worth cleaning the house when it already looks like a bomb has hit it.  Had to take all the shelving out of the built in robes to carpet the bottoms so that meant taking everything out of the cupboards.

Needed a break this morning so did a 'Don't Panic' Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy Cake.  Am going to change it to 'Don't Panic, your only 81 and the whole universe await you' and send it to my Dad for his birthday.  It's pretty simple but was fun to do and it always has to be a fairly simple design for his birthday as I have to mail it to Queensland.

candymiss90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candymiss90 Posted 27 May 2013 , 1:04pm
post #188 of 797

Yes! i am im a newbie :)

FrecklesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrecklesCakes Posted 29 May 2013 , 12:55am
post #189 of 797

Hello everyone :)

I've been a bit absent sorry. So many posts to catch up on. Beautiful cakes everyone. Blue (and anyone from Perth) I will have to get your details one day for friends or family looking for cakes - not that I have many that do but maybe I can pass on business oneday as I don't do it as a business).  Been home sick for weeks - not fun at the best of time let alone when pregnant :)

I have my sons 3rd birthday coming up in June I will make a cake for it if I am feeling better. Something simple but haven't got any idea of what it'll be yet. otherwise I'm still just living through all your wonderful creations as I have nothing coming up. :)

Bluehue Posted 29 May 2013 , 4:14am
post #190 of 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrecklesCakes 

Hello everyone :)

Hi Freckles

I've been a bit absent sorry. So many posts to catch up on. Beautiful cakes everyone. Blue (and anyone from Perth) I will have to get your details one day for friends or family looking for cakes - not that I have many that do but maybe I can pass on business oneday as I don't do it as a business). 

Of course... and who knows, one day the Perth ladies could do a meet and greet  icon_smile.gif

Been home sick for weeks - not fun at the best of time let alone when pregnant :)

Oh dear... do hope you are on the mend now... as you say, not the best at any time, let alone when pregnant.

Is it that coughing headache thing that a few of my friends seem to of had over the last few weeks.

When they ask if I am home and up for a coffee.... I say, yes, I am home but stay away, I don't want your germs lolllllllllllllllllllllllll

I detest being crook.... plus one can.t *cake* when one is coughing and unwell. icon_razz.gif

I have my sons 3rd birthday coming up in June I will make a cake for it if I am feeling better. Something simple but haven't got any idea of what it'll be yet. otherwise I'm still just living through all your wonderful creations as I have nothing coming up. :)

What kind of *thing* does your little boy like - eg: leggo, cars, planes, animals?

Have no idea what the problem is but I am having a hard time trying to upload photos on to my site...

Arghhhhhhh...  this happened once before  some time ago - and it seemed to rectify itself...

perhaps I just need to walk away and come back to it another day..

Frustrating tho as I have about 5 entries that I need to get posted....

Shall be heading to the airport later this afternoon to meet my sister...she is doing a whirlwind visit to WA so as we can spend 4 days together.... I miss her dearly... and thought we need to have some sister time - so I bought her the tickets then phoned and told her... ROFL

She nearly fell off her chair - then laughed.

Can't wait to see her again. Life's too short not to spend time with those who make us happy and laugh.

Right, enough rambling....

Time to do a few more chores.....

Bluehue 

cazza1 Posted 29 May 2013 , 6:00am
post #191 of 797

Welcome Candymiss90 to the addictive internet world of cakes.

Freckles, hang in thee (not that you have any choice).  Things will get better.

I tried my first high heel shoe today, it's coming along nicely.  Sorry should have said successful shoe.  First tried it yesterday and when I went to put the heel on it busted into 3 pieces.  I am not touching this one for a few days as I desperately need it to stay whole.  My son's partner is really petite and  wears the highest heels you have ever seen so I am making it for her birthday next week.  The heel is not very symmetrical but if I only take pictures from the front or side it should look fine!

FrecklesCakes Posted 30 May 2013 , 4:57am
post #192 of 797

Oh glad this one is working out for you Cazza :)  I hope it works out as planned. I am yet to try a heel but it looks like a lot of fun so i may have to give it a go soon :)

Blue that's wonderful you have your sister coming over :) I did that a while back when my sister lived in the UK. Just decided and gave her like 4 days notice - I'm coming over!!! haha was a fantastic last minute trip and was so lovely to see her and spend time together after so long apart. Enjoy yourselves xx

crap I hope your website sorts itself out - how frustrating! That would drive me nuts!

Yeah I'm fine, nothing major - just had a flu and chest infection but on the mend and doing well :) I'm not to bothered too much by things and just try to just on with it :)

As for my sons birthday - what doesn't he like! haha loves everything. animals, mickey and many other characters, nursery rhymes, playschool, Lego, trains, planes, automobiles, fairy's, making tea haha, painting, crafts, baking, everything haha so I don't have to think too hard do I, but will have to come up with something :) The only thing he doesn't like are tomatoes so i don't have an issue there haha.

Maybe one day you are down in Perth Cazza we can arrange a meet if it suits everyone :)

stacey86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacey86 Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 7:07am
post #193 of 797

Popping in to say hello, I'm a fellow aussie from Melbourne, I am a self taught/still learning hobby caker. have only recently come across this amazing site and already am in love with it.

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 8:52am
post #194 of 797

Welcome to the newbies Candy and Stacey, 

Freckles I hope you are much better now . Cazza I hope your Bomb site has turned back into a house by now and Blue , I hope you enjoyed your time with your sister. 

I am quiet at the moment, no cakes for a couple of weeks although I am supposed to be working on a show entry . I did do a couple of Plaques for the National in Adelaide to contribute to Queensland's display . They were of an Egyptian theme , I hope I get to see pictures of the whole display as I only got to do a small part of it. 

cazza1 Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 1:39pm
post #195 of 797

Freckles I would enjoy meeting up but won't be visiting for a while.  When I knew I was coming down for the craft fair I posted to see if anyone wanted to get together for coffee but unfortunately no one answered.

Chelle my house is still a bomb site zone.  I can barely move and the extreme mess is starting to really stress me out.  Carpet goes in tomorrow but hubby decided he couldn't finish the painting last week as it would ruin his bowls muscles for the weekend so even when the carpet is in the painting has to be finished before all the shelving can go back in the cupboards.  Added to all that is the fact that we are off on holidays for 6 weeks next week and as we are going out in to the middle of nowhere I need to be extremely organized food wise and so have that all over the place as well.  It probably hasn't helped that each fruitcake I made to take just had to be decorated as I could not let the opportunity of decorating a cake pass me by. 

The shoe is looking really good, I just have to get it on to the cake tomorrow.  I will post some photos then.

And sadly I must say that my wonderful life of leisure is coming to an end for a while.  When I get back from holidays I am returning to work 2 days a week.  That's presuming that the radiation registration board gets off its bum and into gear.  It is beyond me why it take 4 weeks to approve when I am on their computer (all be it lapsed by 3 months)  when the licensing board took all of 3 days.  I sometimes think that public servants stall things to justify their existence.

FrecklesCakes Posted 4 Jun 2013 , 1:33am
post #196 of 797

Yep much better thanks Chelle :) I hope you get to see pics of the whole display. Sounds like it will be wonderful.

oh I'm sorry I missed that post about the catch up Cazza. hahah of course the fruit cakes had to be decorated! :) Have a great trip! Hopefully the renos will be finished quickly before or after that and you can start enjoying it :) xx

Welcome Candy and Stacey

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 4 Jun 2013 , 12:18pm
post #197 of 797

Came across this thread by accident, just saying hello I'm from the Central Coast, NSW, work professionally full time caking.  I haven't been on any forums for a couple of years but have recently been coming on here, I'm enjoying seeing what other people are making and doing.

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 4 Jun 2013 , 12:40pm
post #198 of 797

Oops maybe I should add made 100 cupcakes for Telstra for the launch of the NBN being switched on in my area.  Got to bed at 12.30am and had to deliver them at 6.15am this morning.  I fell asleep earlier this evening and now I'm wide awake again grrr, should have just gone to bed, instead I'm on here trying to convince myself I'm tired again.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 7:26am
post #199 of 797

A

Original message sent by cazza1

Freckles I would enjoy meeting up but won't be visiting for a while.  When I knew I was coming down for the craft fair I posted to see if anyone wanted to get together for coffee but unfortunately no one answered.

Chelle my house is still a bomb site zone.  I can barely move and the extreme mess is starting to really stress me out.  Carpet goes in tomorrow but hubby decided he couldn't finish the painting last week as it would ruin his bowls muscles for the weekend so even when the carpet is in the painting has to be finished before all the shelving can go back in the cupboards.  Added to all that is the fact that we are off on holidays for 6 weeks next week and as we are going out in to the middle of nowhere I need to be extremely organized food wise and so have that all over the place as well.  It probably hasn't helped that each fruitcake I made to take just had to be decorated as I could not let the opportunity of decorating a cake pass me by. 

The shoe is looking really good, I just have to get it on to the cake tomorrow.  I will post some photos then.

And sadly I must say that my wonderful life of leisure is coming to an end for a while.  When I get back from holidays I am returning to work 2 days a week.  That's presuming that the radiation registration board gets off its bum and into gear.  It is beyond me why it take 4 weeks to approve when I am on their computer (all be it lapsed by 3 months)  when the licensing board took all of 3 days.  I sometimes think that public servants stall things to justify their existence.

Cazza, if they're anything like the NSW Physiotherapy Registration Board, they'll make your life hell if you let your rego lapse! I was advised by my board to let mine lapse when I'd had two kids in two years and was taking some time out of physio to grow my kids....well, BIG difference in attitude when I tried to re-sign again!! Makes you wonder what they pay these peoe for if they're dispensing bad advice to the members they take care of!

810whitechoc....glad you found the other Aussies here :-) I'm jealous you have had NBN switched on in your area! Is it a noticeable difference in terms of Internet speeds? I'm just up the coast from you in Lake Mac. :-) can't wait for an improvement to our services here.

cakenewbelp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenewbelp Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 5:03am
post #200 of 797

can i just ask all the aussies here,  about when you bake and ganche your cakes?

i have a cake due for sun,  when is the best time to do what?

usually i just bake, ice and decorate on the saturday but i usually use buttercream this cake im trying out ganche

cakenewbelp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenewbelp Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 5:05am
post #201 of 797

oh sorry and an add to that 

sugar syrup does anyone use it?  do i need it?  ive never used it before.

Bluehue Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 5:19am
post #202 of 797

can i just ask all the aussies here,  about when you bake and ganche your cakes?

i have a cake due for sun,  when is the best time to do what?

usually i just bake, ice and decorate on the saturday but i usually use buttercream this cake im trying out ganche

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakenewbelp 

oh sorry and an add to that 

sugar syrup does anyone use it?  do i need it?  ive never used it before.

Welcome cakenewhelp...

You can bake your cake now - tort it into the layers you want and then wrap in a few layers of glad wrap and pop in the freezer.... this is what most of us do IF you are using a Mud Cake.

As for Ganache - make that tomorrow - allow it to *set up*  over night - and keep it on your Bench...it will be good as gold.

For a cake due Sunday - i would take the frozen cake out of your freezer Thursday night - allow it to thaw, come Friday morning - ganache - then allow that to settle over night so as you don;t get any blow outs.... then Saturday morning/afternoon cover with your fondant and start decorating... that way you have plenty of time for any mishaps or alterations you want to do before delivery Sunday.  But, it all depends on what TYPE of cake you are baking and using.

As for the Sugar Syrup - yes, i use it all the time.

Its all i use to adhere all my work onto my cakes...plus just before i cover my cakes in fondant, i use a light mist of sugar syrup over my ganache.... once the fondant is smoothed over the cakes it doesn't move - plus no air bubbles.

I use equal parts of water and castor sugar for my SS....

Bring to the boil - allow to boil for a few minutes - then tip into a sterilized jar - will keep in the fridge for 3 weeks.

Nicer than using the bought stuff that consists of numbers and chemicals one can't even pronounce. icon_confused.gif

Welcome also to any other newbies to this thread that i have missed.... My kitchen has kept me busy of late.... Two wedding cakes this weekend plus consults and book work....

gotta dash .................my kitchen is calling.

Bluehue

ellawillow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellawillow Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 12:55pm
post #203 of 797

Ok fellow Aussies....  Did anyone watch "The Great Australian Bake Off' on Monday night.  After waiting months for this show (they have been advertising it on tv a few months into the year saying coming after Easter....and then nothing) is it just me who found it a massive disappointment :(  Am really hoping it will get better but I have a feeling that it is only going to get worse.....waaaaaaah so disappointed

DriveMeBatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DriveMeBatty Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 1:12pm
post #204 of 797

Ugh, I was sooo disappointed!! Admittedly, I missed the first half of the show so didn't see the cupcakes or technical challenge and only watched the birthday cakes. For 5 hours worth of work I thought majority of the cakes were rubbish! I did like the beehive cake, and thought that the sweet 16 cake was fairly good for her first decorated cake, although not at a professional standard at all.

I didn't think the rainbow cakes required any sort of skill at all, they're all over the internet at the moment so its not like they were original at all (even the idea of using the edible markers to decorate the cake has already been done by Sweetapolita) but everyone was oohing and aahing over them, blech!

I really hope they improve the rest of the season cos I'm sick of there only being rubbish on tv!! :(

Bluehue Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 1:16pm
post #205 of 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellawillow 

Ok fellow Aussies....  Did anyone watch "The Great Australian Bake Off' on Monday night.  After waiting months for this show (they have been advertising it on tv a few months into the year saying coming after Easter....and then nothing) is it just me who found it a massive disappointment :(  Am really hoping it will get better but I have a feeling that it is only going to get worse.....waaaaaaah so disappointed

Disappointed is an understatement...

Over staged and over scripted to say the least. icon_rolleyes.gif

And why on earth did they script Kerry to be so cold?

Honestly, if someone makes a bland cake and you want them to improve - then instruct them on how to improve - not "that's bland" and leave it at that.

I found it condescending and demeaning actually...

Wonder what the criteria was for one to be a contestant on the show....... icon_confused.gif

Won't bother watching the rest of the episodes - rather watch something note worthy on SBS,

Actually, i didn't watch it to the end - as i mentioned above... it was too over staged and over scripted....poor tv.

I would be interested to know how others learnt from it....

Bluehue

ellawillow Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 1:31pm
post #206 of 797

I agree totally Bluehue.  I did not watch it last night as I had my sister over (one I never see) and we were chatting and I knew I would never get to concentrate on the show. I set it to tape and got all excited to sit down and watch it today when the little ones were sleeping....  Really really bad...I actually got up and started cleaning up the lounge room at the same time - lol not something I would do if enthralled with a show.

I think they are trying to do the old 'good cop, bad cop' with the Judges.  I remember on one of the promo's for the show that they said Kerry was the 'Simon Cowell' of the cake world.  Hmmmm me thinks this show is not going to hang around for long.  Also from the ads I thought it would be mostly about cakes, decorating, etc but I have a feeling we have just watched the 'cake episode' and it will now go onto bread and who knows what else.  Aggggggh - did I mention disappointing.  Sad :(

ellawillow Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 1:36pm
post #207 of 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveMeBatty 

Ugh, I was sooo disappointed!! Admittedly, I missed the first half of the show so didn't see the cupcakes or technical challenge and only watched the birthday cakes. For 5 hours worth of work I thought majority of the cakes were rubbish! I did like the beehive cake, and thought that the sweet 16 cake was fairly good for her first decorated cake, although not at a professional standard at all.

I didn't think the rainbow cakes required any sort of skill at all, they're all over the internet at the moment so its not like they were original at all (even the idea of using the edible markers to decorate the cake has already been done by Sweetapolita) but everyone was oohing and aahing over them, blech!

I really hope they improve the rest of the season cos I'm sick of there only being rubbish on tv!! :(

Oooops sorry DriveMeBatty - your comment was not showing until now.  Don't worry you did not miss anything with missing the cupcakes or the technical challenge....  I seriously could not get over how BAD the cupcakes were decorated.  Ok one or two not too bad but the majority really bad - my husband could do better just from watching me do it.  I can't believe these were the contestants that made the show.....I shudder to think how bad the others were.  I sadly think it is only going to get worse.  Hmmmm - now if someone could do a show on cakes like a masterchef but for cakes.....I think they would be on a winner....  Lol if only I had the money to go out and produce a show.  Damn ;)

Bluehue Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 3:31pm
post #208 of 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveMeBatty 

thumbs_up.gif - totally agree

Bluehue Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 3:34pm
post #209 of 797

Where they decorating warm cakes?

How foolish is that if they were - great example to set for people just starting out - or mums who want to create a cake for their families....

Honestly, the script didn't show KV in the best light.... sad.

DriveMeBatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DriveMeBatty Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 3:46am
post #210 of 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue 

Where they decorating warm cakes?

How foolish is that if they were - great example to set for people just starting out - or mums who want to create a cake for their families....

Honestly, the script didn't show KV in the best light.... sad.

I'm not sure if the cakes were warm when they were decorating or not - that was another disappointing thing about the show because they didn't really show any of the decorating process, you only got a quick glimpse of each contestant doing one thing on their cake then suddenly they were finished!

I would assume that they probably have equipment at their disposal such as a blast chiller etc if they quickly wanted to cool down their cakes - one contestant mentioned having a warming drawer to dry out her decorations in (her decorations were so-called sprinkles - basically just dots of royal icing that she dried and threw on her cake lol).

And considering the short time frame they had for making their cakes I was pretty surprised that a couple of the contestants chose to make mud cakes which require a longer time to bake than most cakes.

Oh one guy actually made a really cool rocket/moon landing cake, he had enough skill to be able to airbrush it and I thought it looked quite impressive. Apparently it didn't taste very good though and the judges were criticising him for making too good a design??? icon_confused.gif Apparently having a really cool looking cake is only for adults according to them...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%