Any Aussies Here?

Lounge By baking-mama Updated 4 Sep 2015 , 9:24pm by Magic Mouthfuls

cakenewbelp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenewbelp Posted 20 Apr 2013 , 6:15am
post #91 of 797

AHi everyone I'm a Syd girl here have made a few fondant covered cakes and really enjoying it. I noticed someone brought up before about pricing fondant Ive been using fondariffic which seems great but it is on the pricey side how does other fondants compare?

AmandaZ2013 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaZ2013 Posted 20 Apr 2013 , 11:08am
post #92 of 797

AI've only used Satin Ice and the cheap fondant from Coles and I found Satin Ice really easy to use. I don't know how it compares in price to Fondariffic though.

AmandaZ2013 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaZ2013 Posted 20 Apr 2013 , 11:08am
post #93 of 797

ADeleted duplicate

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 20 Apr 2013 , 9:09pm
post #94 of 797

I mainly use Bakels , I buy it through the Association it is $48 for a seven kilo bucket. 

cakenewbelp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenewbelp Posted 20 Apr 2013 , 9:34pm
post #95 of 797

ADoes it crack or elephant skin (bakels) is it easy to use? That's a good price fondariffic is 72 for a 5kg bucket

Chellescakes Posted 21 Apr 2013 , 10:20am
post #96 of 797

I have never had a problem with cracking or elephant skin , although I did have one batch I found to be a little soft. But from memory fondariffic is really soft. Cracking and elephant skin is usually technique in covering rather than the product though. I have found that Satan(SIC) Ice seems to create air bubbles. I rarely have had this problem with the bakels .   

maryak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryak Posted 23 Apr 2013 , 3:43am
post #97 of 797

Hi all, fellow Aussie from Western Sydney.

I've tried a few different fondants over the years, even tried making my own (when I had time). My favourite is Satin Ice and I found the easiest way to use it is with the cake mat. If you can't get that, I like to roll it between two sheets of baking paper. Never had air bubbles with it. I've had some Bakels batches completely go wrong and have had to return them (horrible when you've got to finish a cake and the supplier's closed!!) but for the most part they're not bad. I found I had to work quicker with Bakels than I do with Satin Ice. Satin Ice is more forgiving but can break apart easily as it's so soft. At the end of the day it's a matter of personal preference. 

Oh! I also found that with Bakels, it forms hard little balls on the outer edge and I'd have to spend ages removing them otherwise they looked horrible on the finished product.

MG Creations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MG Creations Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 9:52am
post #98 of 797

Thanks for all your input. they were great advice, and i did go on the sites.Great information. Thank you

I am wanting to organize my cake jobs. I was looking at the Cake Boss program.

I would like to know if anyone has had the opportunity to use the program.

If so could you give me your opinion on it.

Also i have been looking at stenciling on cakes. The tutorials explain how to stencil on flat cakes and stenciling

an image on one side but I am yet to find a tutorial which explains how to stencil completely around a cake without showing

joins or damaging the previous stenciled section.

This is something I haven't yet done. So I am a little hesitant. Can anyone can give me advise on the best way to accomplish this or a

site where i can learn.

A break from baking this week. Great opportunity to play around with my experiments!.

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 10:06am
post #99 of 797

Hi everyone,  hope you all have lazy ANZAC days planned for tomorrow.  Hubby is a mad Essendon supporter (hangover from an earlier life lived in Victoria) so I will be listening to the blare of the football.  Did I mention that he is a bit deaf as well.  I'll probably hide in my cake room.  I have a chocolate cake that I have made that I am going to layer with a chocolate mousse so might plan some decorations for it.

MG Creations Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 10:07am
post #100 of 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellescakes 

Good Morning to all the Aussies, 

I am interested to hear about how the Stevia behaves too. My mum is a diabetic and I personally do not like to use artificial sweeteners as I think they are very nasty chemicals with not enough research done on the side effects from them. 

Hi Chellescakes. I did try my continental cake with Stevia, but unfortunately it didn't turn out how i wanted it. Maybe i used it incorrectly. But i will try again.

On the other hand Stevia worked a dream with my Vanilla Custard. Everyone loved it. So I definitely will use this for my Custards. Yummy!!

Well it is Friday and I have cake on the table that needs ganaching . Just an edible image cake this week . I am just ganaching , no fondant . It is a family  cake so I am not going overboard. It was a chance to try out my new oven before I had to bake for clients . 

Has anyone tried the product Flexi-Paste ? I bought some last week at the demo day . You can use it like sugar veil in the moulds to make lace. Make modelling paste out of it, flowerpaste and add it to chocolate to make modelling chocolate. Use it in a cri-cut etc. I haven't had a chance to play with it yet . 

Well have a great weekend cakin' . 

Chelle

Chellescakes Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 11:25am
post #101 of 797

Thanks for the update on the Stevia MG. 

For Stencilling round cakes , I use masking tape to hold the stencil on , and if you need to overlap a design wait until the first one is dry and then you can line it up without the worry of smudging. You can also use the masking tape to block off any part of the design you don't want as well. 

Chellescakes Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 11:27am
post #102 of 797

Cazza , my bestie is a Collingwood tragic , I am sure she has her jersey , wig and facepaint all laid out already. 

Toodee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toodee Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 12:19pm
post #103 of 797

I just saw this thread and thought I would chime in too.

I live in Western Sydney ATM but am originally from Perth. I am going to spend my ANZAC Day torting, filling and crumb coating a 12", 10", 2 8" and 6" cakes that I am using to practise for a wedding cake I am making in June for my brother and FSIL. I have never made bigger than a 3 tier cake before and never done a double barrel cake before either so plenty of learning opportunities ahead I am sure.

Joanna04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanna04 Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 2:25pm
post #104 of 797

AI'M from South Australia. Nice to meet everyone :) In regards to putting fondant covered cakes in the fridge, once I decided to do it as I made a layered cheesecake for my mum. It was a very simple design ( no flowers etc) and I also placed paper towels in a box to absorb any moisture. Another way is to use Fonx brand of fondant, which can be refrigerated. I'd still use the box and pape towels though.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 4:04pm
post #105 of 797

12.01am - sitting here doing Quotes......

Then up early to go to a Dawn Service....

Then home to finish off a Birthday Cake.

LEST WE FORGET. 

Chellescakes Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 10:26pm
post #106 of 797

At the going down of the sun , and in the morning we will remember them .

LEST WE FORGET. 

MG Creations Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 11:00pm
post #107 of 797

Good morning

watching the re-enactment of the morning service.

May we Never Forget Theme.

Thank you for the advise about stenciling and i may try it today whilst i have a free day to do so.

FrecklesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrecklesCakes Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 12:10am
post #108 of 797

MG remember to wash the stencil after each one :) x

Morning everyone x I am getting cake jealous just reading about all these cakes being filled and ganached haha I think I will need to do a few practice cakes while I'm on break haha

one of the first years I didn't make the dawn service! :( I feel strange about it to be honest. It really is lovely once you are awake and at Kings Park. Still will pop past and pay my respect though :)

WOW Blue - will you get any sleep? I hope so x I seriously don't know how you all can have so much work on your plate. I do one cake for a friend and thats about all I can do in that week - thats why I'm the hobby baker and you are pro's I guess :)

FrecklesCakes Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 12:12am
post #109 of 797

Oh and welcome onto the chat group Mary, Joanna and Toodee :) xx

Fondant question - I use Bakels. I didn't have much luck with Satin Ice but haven't really given it another go either.

Bluehue Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 6:24am
post #110 of 797

AAfternoon all....

@ freckles.... I didn't get to the dawn service either in Kings Park. My husband just came out of hospital this week after major surgery.... thus we won't be walking anywhere for about 4 weeks... Like you it didn't sit easy with us either....but we will be there next year...to mark the 100 year anniversary. And how right you are.... To stand on top of kings park at dawn...in the still and quiet... Is a feeling to behold. Lolll @ me getting any sleep..... Occasionally loll. Ganached cake with lime green and blue explosion all done.... Customer requested a *naked cake*... No fondant covering.

Had consult last night for a May 2014 wedding.... 3 tier bird cage design....in white with red trim. Another consult this Saturday arvo.....

Anddddd here is a first for me.... Had contact from a lady in England enquiring about wedding cake for December this year... She googled a certain style of cake....my name popped up....so it all started from there. Have her mother and sister coming for consult and cake tasting in a couple of weeks..... I nearly fell over when they paid a hefty deposit before even meeting with me..... We laughed when DH said...you have now gone international....lollll.

Time to go check on DH.... Change dressings and do the meds.

And welcome to the new posters on this thread from me too.

Blue ANZACS...... Thank you...you make me so proud to be Australian

Bluehue Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 12:46pm
post #111 of 797

Any Aussies know where I can buy 2 x 11 inch Round x 3 inch high Magic Line pans....

Baking Pleasure and Cakes Around Town don't carry them.... ughhhh.

Bluehue

FrecklesCakes Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 11:43pm
post #112 of 797

Oh Blue I hope your hubby is recovering nice and quickly x

Oh WOW congrats on going international haha - thats amazing! I hope the consult goes well x

And sorry I'm no help with the magic line pans. I hope you find them. If I do come across them I'll let you know.

Chellescakes Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 6:28am
post #113 of 797

I too miss going to the dawn service and march but I am not able to walk very far or stand for too long . The Dawn service at Elephant rock is so crowded now that you can't get anywhere near it. At least they do televise it so I get to see it . It is not the same as being there though. 

Well I am supposed to be making lilies and blossoms for next week's cake but I am mucking around on the computer instead. 

Blue have you tried Silver Stars Cake decorating supplies , it is in Vineyard in Sydney . I know that have a lot of tins there . 

It must be the week for international orders , I also got an order from England this week , from  a lady that is going to be here for her son's first birthday and wants a Mickey Mouse cake . I thought of you Blue when I was taking the order. 

I don't often get to do Mickey cakes so I will enjoy doing it as it will be something different. 

Well back to work for me , have a great weekend everyone. 

Chelle

Bluehue Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 2:23pm
post #114 of 797

@ freckles - thank you - yes, eventually all will be well with my DH...  a long rode lays ahead...but staying positive and following medical instructions should see us over this time.... Caking helps me have some *calm time* - iykwim.

Re the cake tins - I have had to order 2 x 11 inch round FD pans.... cannot find the ML ones anywhere for love or money loll

I am assured that the FD ones have straight sides...that's the main thing I am wanting .

Ordered them through the raspberry butterfly...@ wholesale price icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

They have a great assortment of things....not sure if you have ever visited their site....

@ Chelle - lolls - two international orders - for two Aussies - *tick*

A micky mouse cake - how lovely for a little ones birthday.

No, I haven't even heard of Silver Stars Cake Decorating...I must go Google... thank you for the heads up...appreciate that.

Lolls - yes, occasionally I get distracted with the pc every now and then when I should be making something.... sometimes it is just nice to switch off for a while... well that's my excuse.

Rain expected in Perth tomorrow. Finally, it seems Autumn is here.....so I think I might reorganise my caking room whilst baking some fruit cakes.

although swanning around up in the Swan Valley sipping something suitable would be nice...... icon_wink.gif

Might go check our lotto ticket and see if we are Australia's newest millionaires - BWAWAAAAAAAAAAAAAA - *cough*

Safe Sunday everyone.

ellawillow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellawillow Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 1:14am
post #115 of 797

AHi fellow Aussies,

Have noticed this thread running but have not had a chance to sit down and have a read until now. But just wanted to say "hi everyone" *waving madly* from another Aussie in NSW inland from Newcastle. Love CC and have met some lovely 'cakers' off this site... Would love to meet some more :-D

FrecklesCakes Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 7:31am
post #116 of 797

Hi Ella icon_biggrin.gif

waffa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
waffa Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 10:33am
post #117 of 797

A[INDENT]hi [/INDENT]hi I leave in sydney in Granville middle of sydney I buy from Guildford cake supplier and castle hill there priced fair oh and I got a tip for Aussie bakers if your cake is dry use buttercream fondant it makes the cake more moist dont know why but down side it's really hard to work with

Josh1996 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Josh1996 Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 10:55am
post #118 of 797

AHey guys I'm an Aussie to

I live in Melbourne and I am 16 years old and yes I am a guy, I have been making fondant covered cakes for just under a year and I really enjoy it my fondant I use is bakels I get 7kg for $50.

Bluehue Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 12:12pm
post #119 of 797

Hello my friend  ellawillow - great to *see* you - icon_smile.gif

Hello to waffa and josh also...welcome to the *Aussie thread*

Sitting here planning my next Dummy cake for an upcoming Wedding Day Expo.

Its going to be Ivory and ................................................... that's about as far as I have got lollll

Bluehue

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 12:24pm
post #120 of 797

Bluehue either they are better at predicting the weather for Perth than they are for up here or you are an over optomist.  They keep saying rain for us and we get none.  Or it skirts around the other side of town and all we get is the humidity.  Sometimes I think there is a big bubble over my house.  I am still having to water the vegies every two days.

On a different note, I have discovered the joy of the torted cake. Last fortnight's was a lime and coconut cake with a lime cream cheese filling and vanilla buttercream.  This week's was a really super dense chocolate cake with chocolate mousse filling and chocolate ganache.  I have never really had properly torted cakes before (some jam and cream is not quite the same) and I am in Love.  I think next week is going to have to be a diet week.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%