Any Aussies Here?

Lounge By baking-mama Updated 4 Sep 2015 , 9:24pm by Magic Mouthfuls

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 3:26pm
post #121 of 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazza1 

Bluehue either they are better at predicting the weather for Perth than they are for up here or you are an over optomist.  They keep saying rain for us and we get none.  Or it skirts around the other side of town and all we get is the humidity.  Sometimes I think there is a big bubble over my house.  I am still having to water the vegies every two days.

Well the weather people looked out the wrong window of their office block when they predicted rain - BECAUSE WE GOT NONE....... honestly, how hard can it be.... after all we are in the 21sdt century....aren't we icon_confused.gif

And yes, like you, I am STILL putting on the retic twice a week and watering in-between by hand....ughhhh.

I have more luck getting 3 and a sup on a Saturday night than what I do getting my tank filled lollllllllllllllllllllllllll.

Think that bubble is larger that what we think lollllllllllll

On a different note, I have discovered the joy of the torted cake. Last fortnight's was a lime and coconut cake with a lime cream cheese filling and vanilla buttercream.  That sounds so decadent....yet delish....Lime and coconut = *togetherness*

This week's was a really super dense chocolate cake with chocolate mousse filling and chocolate ganache. Now that sounds rich.... mousse and ganache.... a chocoholics dream   I have never really had properly torted cakes before (some jam and cream is not quite the same) and I am in Love.  I think next week is going to have to be a diet week. lollllllll vegemite on toast

Blue

ashleabrowncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleabrowncake Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 9:28pm
post #122 of 797

A.

ashleabrowncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleabrowncake Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 9:29pm
post #123 of 797

ABluehue, I love the colour combination of Ivory and Latte (just a suggestion) I am sure what ever you come up with will be amazing.

Today I am experimenting. I have a wedding cake booked for December and the bottom tier in their inspiration picture was covered in Silver Leaf. I am going to try and use the airbrush and a paintbrush to replicate the look for them. I have a bit of time up my sleeve so hopefully we can get something that looks good. (if all else fails they want the tier to just be white). I am also going to have a play around making orchids for the first time today. Have a great day everyone

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 10:50pm
post #124 of 797

Hi all...haven't had time to post, but just wanted to say g'day...

Been reading through:

* Chelle - you and I hate Satan Ice. I am still working my way through my last half of a 10kg bucket. I'vr been using it up slowly as homemade GP, and adding it to small coloured batches. How has your health been lately?

* CDA vs CDG (Association vs Guild). We had a huge problem in NSW in recent years with the President, and as a consequence the CDA grup in my area closed and then reopened as part of the Guild. So I guess I will not be attending the Association national conferences now!

* Is everyone else enjoying the onset of autumn?! I am just so happy the madness of wedding seaason is finally easing off. Alas, I now have around a billion enquiries and quotes to sort through, plus consultations. Is anyone else finding people are booking in their weddings heaps earlier these days? I'm booking dates in late 2014 now which is a bit unnerving. Just means I need to block out all the days/weeks I suspect I'd like to be free...

* Ellawillow - nice to see you posting again! Welcome Josh! You snookered my ability to call everyone here 'ladies' :-)

I have a baby bump cake due this week, plus a funeral to attend, plus a whole Saturday booked solid with consultations. Hanging out for Sunday already!

Have a great week everyone!

FrecklesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrecklesCakes Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 11:35pm
post #125 of 797

welcome Josh and waffa :)

Bluehue haha more chance at 3 and a sup - love it!!! :)

wow busy weekend for a few of you. Is it always that busy.

good luck with the orchids Ashlea and hope the silver plans work out :)

I'm not doing anything haha trying to write a baby name list and sort out the back room while trying to rest.

Toodee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toodee Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 12:01am
post #126 of 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoir 

* CDA vs CDG (Association vs Guild). We had a huge problem in NSW in recent years with the President, and as a consequence the CDA grup in my area closed and then reopened as part of the Guild. So I guess I will not be attending the Association national conferences now!

I have been wondering whether to join the CDG lately but if there is a lot of politics involved between the 2 I might just skip it. I used to work for a not for profit organisation who had a 'rival' association (nothing to do with cakes or baking) and the politics between the 2 was a nightmare to deal with. I really don't want to go back there in my personal life for something that is supposed to be fun!

Bluehue Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 5:12am
post #127 of 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrecklesCakes 

welcome Josh and waffa :)

Bluehue haha more chance at 3 and a sup - love it!!! :)

LOLLLL -

apparently we are having our warmest April ever.....

Oz lotto tonight - eagerly waiting for the 3 and a sup.... wooohoooo - should be worth around $12.00

cha ching.

wow busy weekend for a few of you. Is it always that busy.

Just one week end sipping something suitable amidst the Greek isles would be divine lollll

But reality tells me I have wedding consults.....

Two of the consults are for Weddings next year - and the consult I have for tomorrow evening is for 2015.....icon_eek.gif

Apparently due to the lack of large reception venues in Perth - the B&G need to get things sorted this far out.

I smiled and gave a small laugh and said - "its ok, we don't need to confirm the cake ...... yet"

But the Bride is set on her colours and theme..... and as she is the customer - I am here to oblige.

good luck with the orchids Ashlea and hope the silver plans work out :)

Agree - looking forward to seeing your completed silver leaves Ashlea.....

It sounds gorgeous.

And yes, I love the ivory and latte combination also - very elegant yet chic.

I'm not doing anything haha trying to write a baby name list and sort out the back room while trying to rest.

A baby name list - too cute....

Hardest part of naming a baby I believe is making sure that the name is not only suitable for a child but for all the adult years.

Some names just don't suit any human over the age of 3..........  iykwim

Blue

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 5:43am
post #128 of 797

Wish I was a professional this week and could use the excuse of consultations.  Instead I'm a hobbier and with no excuse available I am varnishing all of my skirting boards and window ledges etc, instead of caking.  Probably just as well as the chocolate mousse cake will last all week.

Bluehue Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 6:33am
post #129 of 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazza1 

Wish I was a professional this week and could use the excuse of consultations.  Instead I'm a hobbier and with no excuse available I am varnishing all of my skirting boards and window ledges etc, instead of caking. remember the fumes - last time I vanished anything about 10 years ago I was high for about 5 hours lollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll....  Probably just as well as the chocolate mousse cake will last all week. Your reward for when you have finished your vanishing... .............well earned I would say.

Me - re doing a quote - Bride is thinking 100 cupcakes now instead of a cake to feed 100.

its all go here - icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

Blue

Danilou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danilou Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 11:30am
post #130 of 797

Hi Girls (and guy). I haven't made an appearance since the start of this post. I'm from Naracoorte South Australia. Just wondering what cupcake pans you use that you can brag about? The William-Sonoma goldtouch muffin/cupcake pans are highly recommended on this site but I'm having trouble getting hold of them in Aus. Any ideas?

cazza1 Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 11:55am
post #131 of 797

Don't know about getting high on the fumes.  They leave me headachy and feeling sick.  And that's affecting how I feel about my wonderful cake.  Hopefully it will not take me any longer than 2 weeks.  I can only do about an hour a day.  Then they should last until I sell the place in 10 years or so.

LynetteB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LynetteB Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 12:22pm
post #132 of 797

AHi all, It's nice to see an Aussie discussion! I used to get on the planet cake forum quite a bit but since it stopped I didn't think much went on on here specifically for the Aussies. Anyway, I'm from brisbane, and decorate as a hobby. I would love to go into business but I think I need a bit more practice before I would be confident enough.

I normally only do cakes for the family so I don't get as much practice as I'd like! However I'm super excited, I'm making a cake for my mum for Mother's Day & another birthday cake for a friend the following weekend.

Look forward to reading more in this discussion! Lynette

Bluehue Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 3:34pm
post #133 of 797

@ Danilou -  welcome to the Aussie thread.

Sadly WS don't ship to Australia

I was fortunate last year to go to the States and whilst in San Francisco I went into the WS store there...

Didn't know where to look first or which floor to go to lolllllllllllllllll.

I bought a few things and carefully packed them into my case.....

As for what pans I use from here in Australia... none in particular, brand wise ... whatever takes my fancy and what sizes I require.....sorry, not much help there.

@ cazza - vanish, paint and even nail polish remover make me spin.... but then I don't take kindly to panadol  (could never be a druggie... lollll) so it doesn't take much for me to spin lollll. I need to lay down after taking the non drowsy Sudafed ....*snore*..............lolllllllllllllllllllllllll

@ Lynette - welcome and hello to you also....

Brisbane - such a lovely City....

Make sure you take some snaps of your cakes - and perhaps you could show us.............. yes?

Mothers Day. !!! .... not long now for all us Mums icon_smile.gif

I have booked myself a 3 hour class on the Saturday before - hands on perfecting pastry  -  chocolate Turkish delight tarts - and perfecting mini bagels.

Looking forward to sitting in a class/kitchen making and learning different techniques - without cleaning up and doing the dishes... lollllllllllll

By the time you get to my age - there isn't much one needs - so I am giving myself a day to myself - wellllllllllllll, 3 hours.

*think* I am being taken out for  breakfast this year   shhh.gif ..... then off to the airport to wave my father goodbye as he heads off on an overseas trip.

Off to check if I got 3 and a sup in Oz Lotto................ icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif    party.gif

Blue

FrecklesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrecklesCakes Posted 1 May 2013 , 1:50am
post #134 of 797

welcome Lynette :)

yeah would love to see pics of everyones cakes :) maybe I should start clicking on your profiles when I have time (and and update mine - wow they are old cakes haha)

Yes I totally agree on Blue on your the baby naming point. I have friends with the strangest names for their bubs (well IMO) but hey each to their own and I'm used to them now haha. I get told I like the old fashioned names too much haha but I just think they are beautiful and normal haha

WOW 2015 weddings already! organised brides! :)

Oh and I am the SAME with panadol and fumes and anything like that haha I go a bit nutty :)

Hope the weather is nice enough while you are doing the house then Cazza so you can air it out nicely.

I'm sorry Danilou I can't help with cupcake pans at all. Hoping someone comes online that is of help to you soon x

Mothers Day - oh that 3 hour class sounds lovely Blue. ENJOY! We haven't really organised anything with our mums yet and as for me don't think anything on the cards either at the moment :)

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 1 May 2013 , 2:04am
post #135 of 797

I did buy some heavy gauge cupcake pans a few years ago - can't remember the brand, I'll have to check when I'm back in the kitchen. They're great, however they do not fit the 50mm base cupcake liners, which is my preferred largest size for making cuppies.

So, usually I just use my Wiltshire ones (buy at Coles/WW) and double up if you want a diffused heat. I have now got my recipes down pat so I don't relay on that anymore.

So - what has everyone got planned for Mothers Day? Besides making yourselves and your Mums cake!

I am heading out to see Vince Jones in concert at a fabulous intimate venue, with a couple we've been friends with for years. We both have young families, so its a nice treat to actually go out! That will be the night before. Mothers Day itself I will be sleeping in - bliss!

Danilou Posted 1 May 2013 , 3:03am
post #136 of 797

I just got an e'mail back from William-Sinoma  they are opening an Australian online store on May 5th. Can't wait.

For Mothers Day I plan to make vanilla cupcakes (scratch SF white cake recipe) with passionfruit curd in the centre (recipe from Rosy Levy Beranbaum) and topped with SMB. I haven't made passionfruit curd before so hopefully it works. Unfortunately passionfruit were 90c each so I wonder if I can get away with a couple tins of passionfruit pulp in syrup.

Danilou Posted 1 May 2013 , 3:04am
post #137 of 797

I just got an e'mail back from William-Sinoma  they are opening an Australian online store on May 5th. Can't wait.

For Mothers Day I plan to make vanilla cupcakes (scratch SF white cake recipe) with passionfruit curd in the centre (recipe from Rosy Levy Beranbaum) and topped with SMB. I haven't made passionfruit curd before so hopefully it works. Unfortunately passionfruit were 90c each so I wonder if I can get away with a couple tins of passionfruit pulp in syrup as well as the 6 passionfruit I bought.

Bluehue Posted 1 May 2013 , 3:59am
post #138 of 797

ADanilou...that's the best news...Re WS. Rather dangerous for me actually.... It's like kitchen heaven for anyone who loves cooking....not just baking/caking. Roll on 5th May I say lolll. Thank you for letting us know....I'm thrilled. Blue

cazza1 Posted 1 May 2013 , 9:01am
post #139 of 797

Did they give you any idea on what the website will be called or will it just be something like WS Australia?  I might have a look and buy myself a mother's day present to go with the mother's day cake that I will need to make myself.  My kids are pretty erratic about things like that. Usually get a Christmas present but everything else is pot luck.  Might get a text if I'm lucky!  I'm not complaining, they do things in their own way.  Daughter just bought us 2 nights at a Margaret River Eco Lodge for our wedding anniversary in September.  Lovely surprise.

Danilou Posted 1 May 2013 , 10:53am
post #140 of 797

Actually I got the date wrong (it always confuses me when Americans write it backwards) lol. It opens tomorrow.

Here is the e'mail.

Hello Danielle,

Thank you for contacting Williams-Sonoma.

We have received your email regarding our Australian site and placing an order to ship to your country.  Please know that we are currently opening a store on 05-02-13 and a site for Australian customers only.  The site will be www.williams-sonoma.au and orders will be placed on this site if not purchased in store.  All discounts, promotional codes and other perks will be available to our Australian customers.

Bluehue Posted 1 May 2013 , 11:52am
post #141 of 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danilou 

Actually I got the date wrong (it always confuses me when Americans write it backwards) lol. It opens tomorrow.

Here is the e'mail.

Hello Danielle,

Thank you for contacting Williams-Sonoma.

We have received your email regarding our Australian site and placing an order to ship to your country.  Please know that we are currently opening a store on 05-02-13 and a site for Australian customers only.  The site will be www.williams-sonoma.au and orders will be placed on this site if not purchased in store.  All discounts, promotional codes and other perks will be available to our Australian customers.

Lollllllll - WOOO HOOOOO - even better... have to go out tomorrow - but will take iPad with me so as I can see what they have.....

@ Danilou - bet I know what you will be ordering.....mini cupcake pan - yes..... think I might also.

Thank you for posting the correct date.....

Blue

Danilou Posted 1 May 2013 , 12:16pm
post #142 of 797

Blue I'm thinking of getting the 'muffin and cupcake goldltouch' pan, it looks like it would make a good cupcake but not too big..don't you think?

Bluehue Posted 1 May 2013 , 12:34pm
post #143 of 797
Quote:Originally Posted by Danilou 

Blue I'm thinking of getting the 'muffin and cupcake goldltouch' pan, it looks like it would make a good cupcake but not too big..don't you think? INDEED.... thumbs_up.gif

If I stay up till 10.05pm then the web site should be up and running.... as I am two hours behind NSW lollllllllllllllllllllllllll...... its just gone 8.32pm..... tic toc ...tic

toc.... will go keep myself busy  and try not to look t the clock every 3 minutes....lollll

oh good - its now 8.34pm.   icon_lol.gif

Blue

Danilou Posted 1 May 2013 , 12:37pm
post #144 of 797

lol .....It would be interesting to see if it does open at 12am on the dot..let us know Tomorrow, if you do decide to stay up..lol

Bluehue Posted 1 May 2013 , 12:55pm
post #145 of 797
Quote:

lol .....It would be interesting to see if it does open at 12am on the dot..let us know Tomorrow, if you do decide to stay up..lol

Shall do....

its now 8.55pm............................................................. sigh

tic toc

tic toc

tic toc

tiiiiiiiiiicccc toooocccccccccccc

its like being 6 and waiting for Santa

lolllllllllllllllllllllllll

Blue

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 1 May 2013 , 11:25pm
post #146 of 797

Good Morning Aussie Cakers , 

I have had a pretty busy week so far, I have a two tier to complete today and deliver up to Tamborine mountain tomorrow. I have torted and ganached so far and am about to clean the table so I can cover them.  

I have been given 5 hours a week respite care for my Mum so I had a day out on Tuesday all to myself , it was lovely to get out and not worry about Mum for a few hours . I had a fiftieth birthday to attend yesterday , for a fellow caker . Twenty cake decorators all together and a great time was had by all , The birthday girl was even serenaded by one of the husbands. He is a professional entertainer and a lovely tenor voice. So all that activity means that I have to complete my cake all in one day . 

Evoir, my health is okay at the moment , thank you for asking . My ribs are pretty much healed to the point where some panadol osteo is sufficient to cope with the pain.  I had my vitamin B shot on Tuesday so I should be good for the next couple of weeks I hope. 

Cazza , I would love my house to be painted , I have a family full of painters so I am not allowed to so it myself and they never get around to it. 

Blue , I hope you are not too sleepy this morning . 

Welcome to all the new Aussie posters . Talk to you all soon , Happy Cakin' 

Chelle 

Danilou Posted 2 May 2013 , 12:23am
post #147 of 797

The WS website is up and running. For some reason I had trouble finding it but, eventually did

This link should work (the one in the e'mail didn't).

http://www.williams-sonoma.com.au/

cazza1 Posted 2 May 2013 , 1:53am
post #148 of 797

Thanks for posting the link.  I have been trying to find it with Google unsuccessfully.  I'm off now to go window shopping.

Danilou Posted 2 May 2013 , 2:01am
post #149 of 797

$38 for the  Williams-Sonoma Goldtouch® Non-stick Muffin Pan, 12-Well

Sheshhhhh! Might have to put some money away for this one, or wait for the sales. icon_sad.gif

Bluehue Posted 2 May 2013 , 9:10am
post #150 of 797
Quote:

$38 for the  Williams-Sonoma Goldtouch® Non-stick Muffin Pan, 12-Well

Ohhhh - I just ordered the 24 Mini pan - for the same price.... welllll, $38.01

I guess this is the price we pay for goods being shipped from OS...

Description
Options
Qty
Rate
Amount
GST
Gross Amount
1984046 Williams-Sonoma Goldtouch Non-stick Mini Muffin Pan, 24-Well   1 $34.55 $34.55 $3.46 $38.01

I jumped on line this morning whilst waiting for hubby at the hospital - lolllllllllllllllll

Bit icon_sad.gif that they don't have a range of bedding and cushions - that's what I am on the hunt for....

Hopefully in time they will have everything available that is available in the States...

But at least they are here . thumbs_up.gif

@ Chelle - oh Chelle, that is lovely that you now can get some respite and have some *you* time.

Its not always easy is it when caring for someone.

Lollll - house of painters but they never get around to it..... sounds like a family I know who have a pool business.... poor her, she has the worst kept pool  with paint peeling off here and there and a filter that sounds like it has the death rattle.

@ cazza and Danilou - yes, Google wasn't bringing it up I noticed.....Too new perhaps  *shrug*

Have saved it to my desktop for future reference lolll

Back to caking - had a phone call today - couple getting married in one of the old Jails over here next year.....  so I have been asked to design and make their cake.  Now there is a photo opportunity one doesn't get every day -  Can't wait to get some *cold and rustic - yet weddingish* photos.  Its not until April next year - but even so, I am thrilled to be given the opportunity..... Gives a whole new meaning to the term Chocolate Bars - lollll - sorry - couldn't resist.icon_rolleyes.gif

Blue

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%