Any Aussies Here?

Lounge By baking-mama Updated 4 Sep 2015 , 9:24pm by Magic Mouthfuls

ashleabrowncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleabrowncake Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 11:49am
post #61 of 797

AFreckles, I made a chocolate cake and I used apple sauce instead of the eggs and rice milk instead of the milk.

FrecklesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrecklesCakes Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 12:53pm
post #62 of 797

interesting Ashlea :) I will have to experiment soon.

Thanks Cazza :) I'm happy and not worried. my dream list is definitely growing though. i haven't tried the wet strips on a fruit cake so i can't help you there sorry. I have used with mum cakes and haven't had any problems there.

Kegs302 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kegs302 Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 4:52pm
post #63 of 797

AThanks everyone for your encouraging words, sorry to not 'quote' you all individually, I'm using this forum on my iPhone and I don't find it easy to navigate this way.

An association group is a fab idea and something I am going to look into when I get back from my UK trip (which incidentally yes I'll pop on her to let you know how my 'caking' is going (love that!).

One obstacle I come across is space, (amongst all the other challenges this new obsession of mine creates). My newly acquired 'tool kit' (most of it from china off eBay cheap). Has now taken over a whole cupboard! I also have a lack of 'workstation'. (Leaving cakes and cake art to dry and somewhere to call my work station'. Living in an inner city unit with a growing (too fast) 6 month old and an (inconsiderate at times) husband mean I have a never ending battle to keep my work and family life separate! Oh how I dream of a separate kitchen just for my cakes! Must remember to do the lotto this week!

You all sound just as cake mad as me!

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 8:57pm
post #64 of 797

Good Morning Aussies , it is pouring here again on the Sunny Gold Coast. 

Kegs , definitely look into the Guild or Association when you get back from the U.K . It is a great support network as well as learning things and even finding out where to source product and tools from. 

I hate to tell you that my one cupboard , has now turned into purpose built floor to ceiling drawers and cupboards  in one of the spare rooms.  So I now have two walls of cake stuff. 

Ashlea, I had to do a Gluten free , Dairy Free cake recently , I am glad it wasn't egg free too . I found the dairy free to be the most challenging as all my cakes are based on real butter and margarine just doesn't behave the right way in the cake .  

Have a great day everyone , I am off to see how much money I am going to allow myself to spend at the Demo day shops. 

ashleabrowncake Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 10:06pm
post #65 of 797

AI am hearing you on space (and husbands!) I am in the planning stages of turning our spare bedroom from guest room to cake room. I already use the wir in there as a pantry, but I want to get rid of the bed and put a table and more shelving etc. it would be nice to have my kitchen back for good and be crowded by cooling cakes, drying decorations and setting ganache lol (plus everything will be out of sight of my 3 little munchkins)

ashleabrowncake Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 10:09pm
post #66 of 797

Ahave a great day/weekend at the dems Chelle, I wish there were some closer to me. Spend up a storm!

FrecklesCakes Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 11:15pm
post #67 of 797

OH enjoy the dems Chelle :)

The spare room project sounds great Ashlea and the floor to ceiling cupboards Chelle - oh to dream :)

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 12:19am
post #68 of 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleabrowncake 

I am in the planning stages of turning our spare bedroom from guest room to cake room. I already use the wir in there as a pantry,

What is "wir"?  (Is it an Australian thing and/or would I have wir in my spare bedroom?)

ashleabrowncake Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 12:23am
post #69 of 797

Ayou may have one :) wir is walk in robe, as opposed to bir (built in robe) basically a big wardrobe that is almost its own room

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 12:33am
post #70 of 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleabrowncake 

you may have one icon_smile.gif
wir is walk in robe, as opposed to bir (built in robe)
basically a big wardrobe that is almost its own room

I thought wir meant WIR for Walk-in something... thanks for keeping me in the loop!  (we call it a walk-in closet.)

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 4:22am
post #71 of 797

Afternoon everyone.  My sewing room got the flick 3 months ago and got converted into a cake room.  Two pantries plus the WIR later and I am starting to spill out already.  And none of the cake tins etc are in there.  We have a bar that has a built in cupboard for wine bottles.   These are very shallow but good for my old fashioned tins.  Otherwise they are in the kitchen or in the garage, where I put another pantry to accomodate the spill over from the kitchen. We have 4 bedrooms and a study and I would like to shift into a 2 bedroom unit but hubby refuses to go at this stage as he says I could never fit in with all my junk.  Every room is filled with some sort of craft stuff and even his study has a bookshelf filled with my embroidery books.

ashleabrowncake Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 7:19am
post #72 of 797

Alol Cazza, if you ever have a garage sale invite me ;)

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 4:00pm
post #73 of 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41 

I thought wir meant WIR for Walk-in something... thanks for keeping me in the loop!  (we call it a walk-in closet.)

loll - Thought WIR might end up on *spelling pet peeves* icon_wink.gif

The only Closet we have over here is the WC - you see it on every house plan.

WC = WATER CLOSET = TOILET.

WC just looks nicer than T on house plans icon_lol.gif

Blue

wendymc2001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendymc2001 Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 11:55am
post #74 of 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue 

Welcome Wendy - hope to see you around the board.

Shellharbour area..... that's a lovely slice of Australia icon_smile.gif

Bluehue

Thanks Bluehue

I have been lurking around for some time now.

Shellharbour is a really lovely slice of Australia feel very lucky to be living here.

Wendy

Kegs302 Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 9:57am
post #75 of 797

ASorry to change the subject, can any of you help. I'm new to cake making/decorating and at the moment I'm making lots of 'practice' cakes with a view to perfecting my recipes before hoping to make some cold hard cash! Anyway I get great feedback on my cakes but the one thing everyone says is that my buttercream filling is too sweet. I really want a really good basic recipe for a cake filling I can use as a base that's not too sweet and allows for variations of flavours. Can you help?

Bluehue Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 12:36pm
post #76 of 797

Ughhhh - didn't get notification that any posts had been posted

@ Wendy - no need to *lurk* anymore icon_smile.gif

just jump in and chat

@ Kegs -  what recipe are you using?

I think many Australians find most BC's overly sweet.... loll.    I know I do.

That's why I am more of a Ganache person - I prefer that *bitter sweet taste*

Sorry I digressed  icon_rolleyes.gif

Just post your recipe and we will all have a look for you - nd hopefully come up with a solution for you.

Blue

Kegs302 Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 1:35pm
post #77 of 797

AYes I am using a basic American buttercream recipe, 1 part good quality (using salted) butter, 3 parts icing sugar, 1tsp vanilla extract and a splash of milk. I have tried whipped ganache which is good, but in yellow cake I'd like a nice light texture, but something that doesn't necessarily need to go in the fridge and ruin my fondant decoration. It's a minefield of different suggestions on the forum here, some sound delicious, but I don't know where to start!!!!

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 2:13pm
post #78 of 797

I use a Swiss Meringue buttercream and find it is not as sweet as some others.  Cream cheese fillings are also nice.  Both of these need a certain amount of refridgeration, though, depending on the weather.

Bluehue Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 2:25pm
post #79 of 797

http://www.joyofbaking.com/ConfectionersFrosting.html

Kegs...  I find the joy of baking a great site for finding out the how to's

I know of two ladies who have used this - and both said it was light, sweet, but not as sweet as some BC's they have made.

Or maybe this might help... http://seriouscakes.com/wordpress/?page_id=535

Just going off to check something else for you.

Blue

Bluehue Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 2:25pm
post #80 of 797

http://www.joyofbaking.com/ConfectionersFrosting.html

Kegs...  I find the joy of baking a great site for finding out the how to's

I know of two ladies who have used this - and both said it was light, sweet, but not as sweet as some BC's they have made.

Or maybe this might help... http://seriouscakes.com/wordpress/?page_id=535

Blue

MG Creations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MG Creations Posted 17 Apr 2013 , 4:24pm
post #81 of 797

Hi everyone,

baking again. Actually im baking a cake for a friend who is diabetic. So im trying a new ingredient called 'STEVIA'.

I haven't used this product before for baking so I'm not sure how it will be. But i will surely let you know.

Maybe if anyone out there may know of a good recipe of a sponge cake for diabetics without compensating on taste,

i will be most grateful.

One thing i like doing is playing around with my ingredients. My friends always tease me because they are my testers

before i make them for others.

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Bluehue Posted 17 Apr 2013 , 4:50pm
post #82 of 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG Creations 

Hi everyone,

Hello MG Creations

baking again. Actually im baking a cake for a friend who is diabetic. So im trying a new ingredient called 'STEVIA'.

Really !! I was just reading about that in the BH&G mag email tonight about  the benefits of it

Stevia

Health benefits: This natural sweetener has been shown to have little effect on BGLs, so it’s a great option for people with diabetes. Stevia contains no kilojoules and is up to 300 times sweeter than sugar.
How to use it: Available in granule, liquid or tablet form, use in place of sugar – think tea, coffee, baking – whenever a sweet kick is needed

I haven't used this product before for baking so I'm not sure how it will be. But i will surely let you know. Please do - i

Maybe if anyone out there may know of a good recipe of a sponge cake for diabetics without compensating on taste,...hmmm, can't say I do - but I am sure one of the others could know.

Bluehue

i will be most grateful.

One thing i like doing is playing around with my ingredients. My friends always tease me because they are my testers

before i make them for others.

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Kegs302 Posted 17 Apr 2013 , 10:01pm
post #83 of 797

A

Original message sent by Bluehue

[URL=http://www.joyofbaking.com/ConfectionersFrosting.html]http://www.joyofbaking.com/ConfectionersFrosting.html[/URL]

Kegs...  I find the joy of baking a great site for finding out the how to's I know of two ladies who have used this - and both said it was light, sweet, but not as sweet as some BC's they have made.

Or maybe this might help... [URL=http://seriouscakes.com/wordpress/?page_id=535]http://seriouscakes.com/wordpress/?page_id=535[/URL]

[COLOR=0000CD]Blue[/COLOR]

Thank you, these are great recipes and I'm going to experiment this weekend. :0)

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 1:46am
post #84 of 797
Chellescakes Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 9:45pm
post #85 of 797

Good Morning to all the Aussies, 

I am interested to hear about how the Stevia behaves too. My mum is a diabetic and I personally do not like to use artificial sweeteners as I think they are very nasty chemicals with not enough research done on the side effects from them. 

Well it is Friday and I have cake on the table that needs ganaching . Just an edible image cake this week . I am just ganaching , no fondant . It is a family  cake so I am not going overboard. It was a chance to try out my new oven before I had to bake for clients . 

Has anyone tried the product Flexi-Paste ? I bought some last week at the demo day . You can use it like sugar veil in the moulds to make lace. Make modelling paste out of it, flowerpaste and add it to chocolate to make modelling chocolate. Use it in a cri-cut etc. I haven't had a chance to play with it yet . 

Well have a great weekend cakin' . 

Chelle

FrecklesCakes Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 11:34pm
post #86 of 797

No I haven't heard of either of those products. Let me know how you both go : )

Side note: Has anyone use or had troubles with the 750g packet of Bakels? I'm not making any cakes in a while but had a small 4" square 30th cake (to surprise my best friend) for today so brought that and OMG what the hell is wrong with it?! Has is changed its recipe or is there something wrong with me? it was extremely soft and not fun to work with at all. oh well no big issue really as its done now but think I will rethink buying it again or write to them and ask.

Kegs - I haven't tried these recipe for frosting/icing however I sounds a lot less sweet than the normal American buttercream (one using cream and one sour cream)...

http://www.thatreallyfrostsme.com/2010/04/my-favorite-frostingicing.html (oh this has coffee creamer which i don't think we have here)

http://cakecentral.com/recipe/fluffy-crusting-buttercream

Chellescakes Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 11:49pm
post #87 of 797

Freckles it is not just the small packets it is the buckets as well. We had some at Christmas time and it was terrible . However I was wondering if it was too fresh as when I came back to the bucket a month later to use it up it was better. 

FrecklesCakes Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 12:01am
post #88 of 797

oh possibly thats it. Thanks Chelle I'm not going crazy! :)

I finally contacted Cake Decorator's Association of WA Perth Branch YAY. Waiting to hear back from them and hopefully I fit in just right :) (Is that the sort of group you meant? I couldn't really find anyone else about - although in the yellowpages there is another group near me however it isn't listed anywhere else.

Chellescakes Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 4:28am
post #89 of 797

Freckles, That is exactly the kind of group I was talking about. I am a member of the Association in QLD . I  am the one that liases with new members for our branch . Which reminds me I have emails to send out . 

FrecklesCakes Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 6:26am
post #90 of 797

Thanks Chelle :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%