Any Aussies Here?

Lounge By baking-mama Updated 4 Sep 2015 , 9:24pm by Magic Mouthfuls

CakeDays Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDays Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 11:40pm
post #271 of 797

MustangMollie you lucky duck! You have to let me know how it goes and if it was worth it. I am hoping to do one either at the end of the year or early next year. I really want to do the 'Basics Foundation'. Both the 'Basics 101' and the 'Quickstart Accelerated' look great and informative. I guess with the 101 you would go more in-depth and the accelerated has less in-depth info, but covers 101 and 102. Maybe someone has done them and can be more helpful :)

Carabella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carabella Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 11:43pm
post #272 of 797

AHappy birthday MustangMollie, I hope you had a great day! How lucky are you going to do a PC class! That will be amazing! All you have to do now is choose which class!

Nadiaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nadiaa Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 12:24am
post #273 of 797

I need some advice from people who live here :) I want to have a crack at making my own MMF - but all the recipes I've seen call for bags of mini marshmallows, which I know in the US are all white. The only minis I've seen here are pink and white (and sometimes yellow). It's even hard work finding big marshmallows in white! What do you all do?

Carabella Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 12:57am
post #274 of 797

A

Original message sent by Nadiaa

I need some advice from people who live here :) I want to have a crack at making my own MMF - but all the recipes I've seen call for bags of mini marshmallows, which I know in the US are all white. The only minis I've seen here are pink and white (and sometimes yellow). It's even hard work finding big marshmallows in white! What do you all do?

I haven't made it but in regards to the marshmallows, there's a place in Sydney where I get all my lollies ect for candy bars which used to stock mini white ones. I haven't been there for a few months but they still should have them. They sell a lot of American candy there so they are a big help! I'm not sure if we are aloud to mention other online sites here so if you want to pm me and I'll give you the site.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 2:15am
post #275 of 797

Welcome *Newbies*.... and Happy Birthday to those celebrating (albeit i am a bit late)

Sorry, forgot who mentioned it - in regards to the marshmallows... do a Google for USA Foods in Melbourne... you *might* find them there.

Also - Target (believe it or not) have packets of White Marshmallows - think the name on the packet is Camp Fire or something like that... they are huge, light and not so nasty to eat. icon_wink.gif and cheap as chips to buy.

For whoever mentioned about typing links and sites on here - if you type it like this

USA Foods .com .au with the spaces in between the words - it wont get removed.

Raining and grey in Perth today - great day for being inside........... looking out icon_smile.gif

Bluehue

Nadiaa Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 2:17am
post #276 of 797

Whoo hoo! Thanks Bluehue :) I will check out Target. 

Out of curiosity, do you all make your own fondant or do you buy it ready made? All I've used so far is the Orchard White Icing from the supermarket and I have to say I don't love it. Not that I have used it to make anyone else a cake - just my children's birthday cakes :) 

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 2:25am
post #277 of 797

I've never bothered with MMF  - marshmallows were always harder to get and more expensive than the ingredients for fondant.

When I started decorating there was no such thing as commercial fondant so we always made our own.  If you are only doing a cake here and there it is much more exonomical to make your own - it isn't hard.

Just make what you need to use - its not like the commercial stuff where it can be placed in a bucket for 6mths - but then it doesn't contain any 'softeners' either so you may very well find it easier to work with.

Need a recipe.....   posted this years ago on here

http://cakecentral.com/a/homemade-rtr-fondant

Nadiaa Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 2:33am
post #278 of 797

Thanks so much AppleGum Pam. I really appreciate it :) I'll try that fondant recipe! I'm still at the learning stage, so am looking forward to playing around with fondants and gumpastes. I have my cake recipes perfected, and have my buttercreams sorted (I'm newly in love with SMBC) so now it's onto fondants and ganaches. And gumpaste flowers etc. I'm loving it! 

Bluehue Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 3:04am
post #279 of 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadiaa 

Whoo hoo! Thanks Bluehue :) I will check out Target. 

Out of curiosity, do you all make your own fondant or do you buy it ready made? All I've used so far is the Orchard White Icing from the supermarket and I have to say I don't love it. Not that I have used it to make anyone else a cake - just my children's birthday cakes :) 

Your welcome...

No, i don't make my own Fondant... I use Bakels, i find the consistency good and as i only ever buy Ivory or White and colour them to suit my needs - it works for me.

Yes, Pam mentioned about it sitting around in a tub for 6 months - but then from the time a packet of tea bags is produced to the time a customer buys it - can be anything from 3 - 18 months... Just like the latex gloves we all use - they are boxed years in advanced.... especially the ones from overseas tapedshut.gif

I buy mine from  medical group (made in Australia) helps that i used to be a nurse... thumbs_up.gif

There is always a batch # and a Date Made on the container -  so if you buy Bakels - just check those details.

Bakels have been around for yearsssssssssssssssssssssss...

Its a *what suits and works for you* thing

If you look up Food Wholesalers in your area/town - and give them a ring - you should be able to pick up a 7kg plastic container from $45.00 - $57.00 if you wish to use *pre made*

Bluehue

Nadiaa Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 3:09am
post #280 of 797

I hadn't even thought of calling food wholesalers up here. It would be great to save on postage for these sorts of things! Especially considering it's extremely limited in terms of what we have available retail. I think I'll make my own and try Bakels as well - and see what works best! 

ApplegumPam Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 3:37am
post #281 of 797

I think you MIS-UNDERSTOOD me Blue  -  I wasn't rubbishing Bakels or commercial fondant

I use it myself too - BUT I am going through 4-6 buckets a month

What I was saying is that if you choose to make your own - which if you aren't doing loads of cakes, makes sense  - then you CAN'T expect your home-made fondant to perform like commercial  ie... you can't put the leftovers in a bucket and expect to use it again in 6mths

CakeDays Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 7:53am
post #282 of 797

Hi everyone,

Hope you are all well :) I was just wondering what kind of turntable everyone is using and where did you bought it? I am thinking of getting the stainless steel one from Cakes Around Town for $50, but I just can't decide.

ApplegumPam Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 8:11am
post #283 of 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDays 

Hi everyone,

Hope you are all well :) I was just wondering what kind of turntable everyone is using and where did you bought it? I am thinking of getting the stainless steel one from Cakes Around Town for $50, but I just can't decide.

What are you using it for?  If it is just to ganache/cover your cakes you can make do with a $15 Ikea one - or the black plastic turntables that they use for TV's etc from Bunnings are equally as good for $19??   They are often cheaper on Ebay.  I have about a dozen of them that I use for classes - never had a problem with them.

If you are wanting it for piping on the sides of your cakes you might be better off getting a turntable specific to cake decorating and if you are doing any sort of extension work you may want to invest in a tilting turntable.  Not sure what the one at Cakes Around Town is.

I'd buy what you think you need - no need to pay for something you may never require

Carabella Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 8:35am
post #284 of 797

AI use a cheap turntable ($20) I got from Cake decorating solutions which is perfect for me as i only use it for ganache and fondant. I'm quite loyal to them as they are really wonderful to deal with and are never to busy to answer questions! Prices are pretty decent too. They have a tilting table for 35.00 if your looking for something a little cheaper.

CakeDays Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 8:43am
post #285 of 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplegumPam 

What are you using it for?  If it is just to ganache/cover your cakes you can make do with a $15 Ikea one - or the black plastic turntables that they use for TV's etc from Bunnings are equally as good for $19??   They are often cheaper on Ebay.  I have about a dozen of them that I use for classes - never had a problem with them.

If you are wanting it for piping on the sides of your cakes you might be better off getting a turntable specific to cake decorating and if you are doing any sort of extension work you may want to invest in a tilting turntable.  Not sure what the one at Cakes Around Town is.

I'd buy what you think you need - no need to pay for something you may never require

Thanks Applegum. I am planning to use it for everything in the end, so I guess I should get a good one from the start. I might get the PME tilting turntable with my other stuff from Global Sugar Art, it seems to have good reviews.

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 12:19pm
post #286 of 797

Hi to all the Newbies  , it is quite the little colony in here now . 

Cake Days , I got the pme tilting turntable from cakes around town and love it. It make doing side designs and piping to much easier. 

On the fondant front , I use bakels too , and buy it by the tub . I got some of their small packs of colors ,red and black ,  I think they are 750g packs at the local  IGA the other day for 6.99 each . they had white in the small packs for that price too. The white works out a little dearer than buying it by the tub but the colours are cheaper than we can get them through the association. 

Bluehue Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 4:00pm
post #287 of 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplegumPam 

I think you MIS-UNDERSTOOD me Blue  - 

icon_confused.gif, No, no misunderstanding Pam.

I wasn't rubbishing Bakels or commercial fondant

Yes, i got that - i was just stating the pros and cons of using store bought compared to making ones own....

As i mentioned - its what works for you - not YOU per sae but all of us.

I use it myself too - BUT I am going through 4-6 buckets a month

And i too go through about 5 a month - but i get it at a good price and honestly, i find it great to work.

What I was saying is that if you choose to make your own - which if you aren't doing loads of cakes, makes sense  - then you CAN'T expect your home-made fondant to perform like commercial  ie... you can't put the leftovers in a bucket and expect to use it again in 6mths

Roger that....thumbs_up.gif

All's good from my end Pam....

Bluehue Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 4:08pm
post #288 of 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellescakes 

Hi to all the Newbies  , it is quite  little colony in here now . 

Cake Days , I got the pme tilting turntable from cakes around town and love it. It make doing side designs and piping to much easier. 

On the fondant front , I use bakels too , and buy it by the tub . I got some of their small packs of colors ,red and black ,  I think they are 750g packs at the local  IGA

icon_surprised.gif Your local IGA sells Bakels ??? - as i have said 15784538763 times...WA really does mean Wait Awhile..... lolllllllllllllllllllllllll. the other day for 6.99 each . they had white in the small packs for that price too. The white works out a little dearer than buying it by the tub but the colours are cheaper than we can get them through the association. 

Gails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gails Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 9:17pm
post #289 of 797

ASuper IGAs have large bags of white marshmallows, they are giant ones so you only need maybe 3 or 4 of them, I use to use them but dont bother any more, just get pre made, coloured ones from my local decorator shop, they do small quantities and it works out cheaper, I found out that making my own fondant was a gamble, get it wrong and it gets expensive and frustrating, all down to preference, but yes, Super IGA stores do them, and funnily enough they are American. Good luck with making your own.

Original message sent by Nadiaa

Chellescakes Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 9:43pm
post #290 of 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue 

I know , I couldn't believe it . I actually had to go and buy some orchard at Coles the other day as I had used up my spare tub without realising , ( someone was being helpful and stacked the tubs with an empty one on the bottom) I wish I had known then instead of having to try and cover three cakes with orchard. 

I feel that life is too short to make your own fondant, I don't have enough time as it is , I do however make most of my own flowerpaste , and I teach all my students to as well. 

MustangMollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustangMollie Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 10:41pm
post #291 of 797

Chellescakes, I just wanted to comment that the cake in your avatar pic is GORGEOUS!!!!!

MustangMollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustangMollie Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 10:42pm
post #292 of 797

Is Cakes Around Town a local or Internet shop? As far as local shops (for Adelaide) I've only found Creative Cooks. Are there any other options?

Gails Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 10:45pm
post #293 of 797

ALooks like another grey and wet day in Perth, unfortunately not doing any baking but wallpaper stripping which by the way I think was originally stuck to the wall with superglue! Have a quick question, large cup cakes or standard size, does anyone have a preference?

Original message sent by Bluehue

Welcome *Newbies*.... and Happy Birthday to those celebrating (albeit i am a bit late)

Sorry, forgot who mentioned it - in regards to the marshmallows... do a Google for USA Foods in Melbourne... you *might* find them there.

Also - Target (believe it or not) have packets of White Marshmallows - think the name on the packet is Camp Fire or something like that... they are huge, light and not so nasty to eat. :wink: and cheap as chips to buy.

For whoever mentioned about typing links and sites on here - if you type it like this USA Foods .com .au with the spaces in between the words - it wont get removed.

Raining and grey in Perth today - great day for being inside........... looking out :)

Bluehue

ApplegumPam Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 10:48pm
post #294 of 797

Don't feel isolated Blue..... NSW IGA's don't stock Bakels either!   and $6.99???  for the coloured?   even wholesale price for me is dearer than that !

http://www.completecake.com.au/    is in SA    and Cakes Around Town have an online shop too

Gails Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 10:55pm
post #295 of 797

ACakes Around Town I think are based in Q'land, I shop on line with them and I must praise them, if you are on facebook look them up and "like" then you get to find out any special deals, another one is Something For The Cake. If you Google cake decorating retailers in your area, you might be surprised how many there are, I live in Perth and was surprised how many there were nearby. Shopping on line is great and so easy, just set up an account with them and browse through all their goodies!

Original message sent by MustangMollie

Is Cakes Around Town a local or Internet shop? As far as local shops (for Adelaide) I've only found Creative Cooks. Are there any other options?

Nadiaa Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 12:07am
post #296 of 797

I knew you guys would have all the answers! I'm going to go and have a look at my local IGA stores now, not sure where they are or if they have a super IGA up here, but it's worth a shot from the sound of it!! 

Cakes Around Town are fabulous. They process and post orders sooo quickly, and it's worth stalking their online shop because they always have heaps on special. I had an order from them arrive this morning, one of those things was a non stick rolling pin - 23cm - which I got for about $5.

CakeDays Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 12:16am
post #297 of 797

Nadiaa, I love Cakes Around Town as well, I couldn't believe how fast my order arrived. I'm on the site right now, having another look. I may be a little addicted!

Nadiaa Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 12:31am
post #298 of 797

I'm banning myself from looking. Lol! I need to spend money on ingredients to try out the things I've just bought recently. 

Chellescakes Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 5:53am
post #299 of 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMollie 

Chellescakes, I just wanted to comment that the cake in your avatar pic is GORGEOUS!!!!!

Thank you Mollie, I was thinking of changing it the other day but I might leave it a bit longer now. 

Gails, Cakes around town are Brisbane based they are at Darra.  In Adelaide you have Caroline's , I get stuff from there all the time http://www.carolines.com.au/ , I have a friend that has family in Adelaide so we get stuff brought back in suitcases all the time. 

Speaking of Adelaide anyone go to the national ?

Chellescakes Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 5:54am
post #300 of 797

Better go this isn't getting my show entry done. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%