Any Aussies Here?

Lounge By baking-mama Updated 4 Sep 2015 , 9:24pm by Magic Mouthfuls

MustangMollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustangMollie Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 11:34pm
post #301 of 797

Thanks for the links, Chellescakes.

Are any of you making Father's Day cakes for the weekend? I'm going to, but not sure what I'm doing yet.

Nadiaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nadiaa Posted 29 Aug 2013 , 12:01am
post #302 of 797

I'm thinking I might. It depends whether hubby wants to go fishing on Saturday, because we're going to the boat show on Sunday for Father's day. So if he insists on fishing, I may have to do it Saturday night if we're home early enough.

CakeDays Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDays Posted 29 Aug 2013 , 12:45am
post #303 of 797

Chellescake lots of luck for the show :) Hopefully I can get there on Saturday or Sunday.

CakeDays Posted 29 Aug 2013 , 11:18am
post #304 of 797

MustangMollie, I am thinking of doing Chocolate Guiness Cupcakes with Caramel Frosting :) Mmmm! Or maybe Bailey's frosting??? Which means I would have a bottle of Bailey's :D

brooke083 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brooke083 Posted 29 Aug 2013 , 9:13pm
post #305 of 797

AHi , I am from melbourne Australia :)

MustangMollie Posted 29 Aug 2013 , 11:51pm
post #306 of 797

CakeDays, chocolate guiness cupcakes sound delicious! Any chance you'll share the recipe? 

Do you gals have sources here for shortening and cornstarch or do you you substitute? If you substitute, what do you use?

Hi Brooke :) I'm new here too.

CakeDays Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 12:07am
post #307 of 797

Hi Brooke :) 

Welcome, I am also a new member. So glad I found this sight, there is so much information and plenty of helpful members.

MustangMollie, The Choc Guinness recipe is from Epicurious, it has a lot of rave reviews. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Chocolate-Stout-Cake-107105

For shortening I got my partner to bring over a 6lb tub of Crisco :P If I ever run out I will probably get it from USA Foods. I am pretty sure that cornstarch is cornflour over here and you can get it from the supermarket. When we were in L.A I sent my partner to the shops for cornflour and instead of getting what Americans call cornstarch he came back with flour made from corn lol.

Nadiaa Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 4:14am
post #308 of 797

Hi Brooke, I'm new too - there's a few of us! 

Yep, cornstarch is cornflour. So that's easy to find, lol! I'm in the process of developing my recipes so am trying to avoid recipes that need shortening. For example, my buttercream has butter in it - not shortening. I don't think we have a direct substitution for Crisco here, so I'm in the mind set that when I do one day open my business and need to buy in bulk, I'm not going to be using an ingredient I can't source easily in Australia (without it being hugely expensive). Who knows, I might find I need it yet. 

FrecklesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrecklesCakes Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 4:36am
post #309 of 797

AWow I missed a bit haha WELCOME all newbies :) can't wait to get back into cake decorating and the forum.

Original message sent by cazza1

Freckles I was just thinking about you and wondering if all went well with the birth of your baby.  I hope all is well and that you are just not on here lately because you are plum tuckered out.  Hope you see this and let us know how you are.

Thank you for thinking of us Cazza x we had a little bit of a rough ending but we are both safe and healthy (6wks old). I had another boy so I have a house full of testosterone now besides me of course haha. My older son (3yrs) is loving being a big brother so I am very lucky on that front (although we haven't had to share and play together yet haha). I have the baptism this Sunday (fathers day) and had planned on making the cake but the week got away from me and I only just finished all the savouries and other sweets. I'm a little annoyed but I will still try today to bake and cover a simple cake otherwise I will be ordering a last minute bakery cake tomorrow and get whatever they have :( oh well.

If I get around to it I will be trying a passionfruit white choc cake with a blue/ivory vertical stripe base and plain ivory top with a cross and I wanted baby shoes too but I have a busy day tomorrow as it is so baking the cake now and see how I go. A bit sleep deprived here haha

Wow that is long sorry you only probably wanted a yes we are great. I had a boy post lol oops. Xx

Nadiaa Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 4:41am
post #310 of 797

Hi Freckles, it's lovely to 'meet' you. Hugest congratulations on your new squishy bundle!! xxx

Gails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gails Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 6:22am
post #311 of 797

AThanks, just checked out carolines and love the silicone moulds, I just might have another shopping spree!!

Original message sent by Chellescakes

Thank you Mollie, I was thinking of changing it the other day but I might leave it a bit longer now. 

Gails, Cakes around town are Brisbane based they are at Darra.  In Adelaide you have Caroline's , I get stuff from there all the time http://www.carolines.com.au/  , I have a friend that has family in Adelaide so we get stuff brought back in suitcases all the time. 

Speaking of Adelaide anyone go to the national ?

FrecklesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrecklesCakes Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 6:33am
post #312 of 797

AThank you Nadia x

MustangMollie Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 11:36am
post #313 of 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadiaa 

Hi Brooke, I'm new too - there's a few of us! 

Yep, cornstarch is cornflour. So that's easy to find, lol! I'm in the process of developing my recipes so am trying to avoid recipes that need shortening. For example, my buttercream has butter in it - not shortening. I don't think we have a direct substitution for Crisco here, so I'm in the mind set that when I do one day open my business and need to buy in bulk, I'm not going to be using an ingredient I can't source easily in Australia (without it being hugely expensive). Who knows, I might find I need it yet. 

Thanks for the link to the recipe! 

I went into Caroline's today and they have two types of "shortening." The White vegetable fat can be used like crisco to keep fondant from drying out and things like that, but not used IN recipes (they sell another type of shortening for that, but they were out of it today). I have a lot of family in the U.S. and I also have a forwarding mail service to me here in Australia so it shouldn't be a big drama to mail order some Crisco, though I'm not sure how much shipping will be. 

When I saw cornflour in the shops I thought it was flour made from corn, I didn't know it was the same thing as cornstarch! The nice guy at Caroline's answered a bunch of questions for me today :)

dittle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dittle Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 1:35pm
post #314 of 797

AHi Aussie Bakers, I'm from Adelaide. Originally from Coober Pedy, where I first signed up on this website about 7 years ago. I have benefited so much from this site. I have spent hours and hours researching and gaining tips. I owe a lot to this site for my success in cake decorating. It's great to see Aussies on here. I noticed a lot of talk about refrigerating fondant covered cakes. I have been refrigerating all my cakes from day one, and have never experienced any problems. I have noticed since moving to Adelaide that there is more moisture in the air compared Coober Pedy. Most of my cakes have chocolate mousse so I find that I don't have an option. I think it really depends on the climate that you live in too. Just wanted to share that. Lol

CakeDays Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 11:18pm
post #315 of 797

Hi dittle and welcome, like you I am spending hours on here and gaining a lot of knowledge. 

cakenewbelp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenewbelp Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 4:11pm
post #316 of 797

ADoes anyone use the sps system there always going on about? Was thinking about buying it and getting it shipped but not 100% sure if its worth it or not? I've got a wedding cake coming up and I find with my tiered cakes the fondant always seems o get stuck to the bottom of the board

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 9:07pm
post #317 of 797

No way would I be buying SPS system and having it shipped to Australia.   I don't know of anybody that uses it here and IMO it's NOT the secret to success.

I use wooden dowels or the larger bubble tea straws - important to make sure your cakes are level, that the dowels are inserted straight, that they are the same length, that they are cut a fraction higher than the fondant level... I don't mean it sits above the fondant though.

With regard to the fondant sticking - are you giving your covered cakes time to 'set up' before you stack them?  or are you covering and stacking in one go?

What are you using to coat your cake prior to the fondant being applied?

What are you using to 'stick' the tiers together with?

Happy to help you sort this out - you don't need to buy SPS

MustangMollie Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 7:06am
post #318 of 797

AHere is my second attempt at cake decorating. It has some issues, but overall I don't think it's too bad for my 2nd cake :)

If I had to do it again I would have measured out the lines around the circumference of the cake instead of eyeballing it. I think I would like the look of skinnier lines better so I would reduce the width by at least half. I have some tears in the fondant so I'll need to take the time to roll out a more uniform circular shape next time and also I think reducing the amount of buttercream would help as well. [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3091274/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

CakeDays Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 11:11am
post #319 of 797

Looks awesome MustangMollie, what a great "Super Dad' cake! What flavour cake is it? Maybe ganache would be better than the butter cream.

Well I made the Chocolate Guinness Cupcakes and they are so good. Yummy flavour, moist and just an overall great recipe. The Guinness was only very slight, but just enough. The caramel frosting I used was a little on the soft side, so next time I'm going to try one that is a little more stable. I also tried to make chocolate vodka swirls, but it didn't work out and instead they came out more like flowers.

Forgot to add that 'Dad' loved them :D

MustangMollie Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 12:56pm
post #320 of 797

AThat's a gorgeous cupcake!!! What is a chocolate odka swirl? It sounds interesting! I've added your Guinness cupcakes to my "gotta try" list.

I just did a plane vanilla cake. I've never done ganache. Is it yummy? Is it easy to use?

We had a huge family get together today and even with the flaws, my sister in law thought that I bought the cake from a specialty cake shop. She was floored when I told her that my 9 year old and I made it!

CakeDays Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 9:15pm
post #321 of 797

A vodka swirl is where you put a glass of vodka in the freezer and after a while you pipe chocolate into it and it comes out like long swirly sticks. Mine on the other hand didn't sink and instead sat on top of the water.

Ganache is chocolate and cream, I think it so much yummier than butter cream. It gets really hard in the fridge and you can get very sharp edges for your fondant.

It is great when people are wowed by what you made! You had a really good idea :)

MustangMollie Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 10:20pm
post #322 of 797

AWow, thanks for the info. I'll have to try ganache and vodka swirls. I think your vodka "flowers" are much prettier than straight lines would've been!

Nadiaa Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 11:19pm
post #323 of 797

I've never heard of vodka chocolate swirls! I'll be giving them a go, I love trying something new :) 

MustangMollie - your cake is terrific!! I love the colours and I think you did a fantastic job. 

I did no Father's Day cake - poor hubby, lol! I was sick with the flu all weekend and lost my voice! So no baking for me. I might venture into the kitchen today though, I'll see how I feel. 

cakenewbelp Posted 2 Sep 2013 , 7:44am
post #324 of 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplegumPam 

No way would I be buying SPS system and having it shipped to Australia.   I don't know of anybody that uses it here and IMO it's NOT the secret to success.

I use wooden dowels or the larger bubble tea straws - important to make sure your cakes are level, that the dowels are inserted straight, that they are the same length, that they are cut a fraction higher than the fondant level... I don't mean it sits above the fondant though.

With regard to the fondant sticking - are you giving your covered cakes time to 'set up' before you stack them?  or are you covering and stacking in one go?

Thanks I didn't know if any Aussie use it,  they are always talking about it on here

I use plastic dowels,  someone suggested that i place a small amount of royal icing on the top of them then place the board,  i dont use a centre dowel nor do i want to either the whole thought of spearing one through a 3 tiered quilted cake makes me very nervous.   I yeh generally cover then stack,  so rest it for a few hours first? 

i was going to assemble it on site,  but it has pearls around it so i think im going to have to take it together,  prob sit it on the floor or maybe my lap? not sure. ???  its going to be 8'10'12 so its not hugge but its not small either.  mostly ive only done 2 tiers travelled on my lap 

ApplegumPam Posted 2 Sep 2013 , 9:05am
post #325 of 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakenewbelp 

Quote:

Thanks I didn't know if any Aussie use it,  they are always talking about it on here

I use plastic dowels,  someone suggested that i place a small amount of royal icing on the top of them then place the board,  i dont use a centre dowel nor do i want to either the whole thought of spearing one through a 3 tiered quilted cake makes me very nervous.   I yeh generally cover then stack,  so rest it for a few hours first? 

i was going to assemble it on site,  but it has pearls around it so i think im going to have to take it together,  prob sit it on the floor or maybe my lap? not sure. ???  its going to be 8'10'12 so its not hugge but its not small either.  mostly ive only done 2 tiers travelled on my lap 

Just a word of caution - IF you are going to transport this cake assembled you will need to have more than a small amount of royal icing on top of your dowels to SECURE the tier above.  THAT system is OK if you are going to assemble on site - where the cake is placed in-situ and not moved.

An assembled cake needs to be secured!   The easiest way I have found is to use fondant 'goop' which is essentially just a blob of fondant that has been heated in the microwave until it is lava-like.  Be careful 25secs is normally enough - you don't want it to burn.  Stick some into the centre on to pof your fondant - line up your 2nd tier and pop into place - you will need to work quickly - it sets like concrete and you will not have too much time to make any adjustments.

I don't know any Australian's that spear a central dowel down through cakes AND board.

If you are going to use a central dowel - I would go the pre-drilled boards, and thread the cakes OVER the central dowel that had been hot-glued into a base/presentation board.

MustangMollie Posted 2 Sep 2013 , 10:38am
post #326 of 797

Thanks Nadiaa :) 

I hope you're feeling better!

CakeDays Posted 2 Sep 2013 , 11:00am
post #327 of 797

Today I went on a cake supply shopping spree with my sister. We tend to go a little crazy together. We ended up with some great bargains from Spotlight. They had 25% off Fat Diddio pans, but only had square and I'm waiting for the Magic Line ones I ordered. I got an icing mat that was cheaper than the one at the supply store and the Wilton 1M for four dollars. I ended up with bags of bits and pieces, but still didn't get any glycerin. Still a great day of shopping!

cakenewbelp Posted 2 Sep 2013 , 11:09am
post #328 of 797

A

Original message sent by ApplegumPam

Just a word of caution - IF you are going to transport this cake assembled you will need to have more than a small amount of royal icing on top of your dowels to SECURE the tier above.  THAT system is OK if you are going to assemble on site - where the cake is placed in-situ and not moved.

An assembled cake needs to be secured!   The easiest way I have found is to use fondant 'goop' which is essentially just a blob of fondant that has been heated in the microwave until it is lava-like.  Be careful 25secs is normally enough - you don't want it to burn.  Stick some into the centre on to pof your fondant - line up your 2nd tier and pop into place - you will need to work quickly - it sets like concrete and you will not have too much time to make any adjustments.

I don't know any Australian's that spear a central dowel down through cakes AND board.

If you are going to use a central dowel - I would go the pre-drilled boards, and thread the cakes OVER the central dowel that had been hot-glued into a base/presentation board.

So with the fondant lava blob thing you put that the middle of your cake? Then then next board and cake on top? But then when comin to cut up and serve wouldn't that still get stuck and make an awful mess of the cake?

ApplegumPam Posted 2 Sep 2013 , 11:24am
post #329 of 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakenewbelp 

Quote:

So with the fondant lava blob thing you put that the middle of your cake? Then then next board and cake on top? But then when comin to cut up and serve wouldn't that still get stuck and make an awful mess of the cake?

It doesn't STAY as a blob.... or your cake would be suspended over it and rock and roll everywhere.

The weight of the cake above spreads it out so it ends up being a thin layer.   I can only speak for my cakes and what happens with them, because I don't know everything you do with yours.   But when it comes time to cut mine - I can insert a thin bladed knife between the tiers, give a slight twist and it is enough to break the 'seal'  - the top tier is removed for cutting and the fondant on the base tier is NOT an awful mess.

You don't HAVE to do it this way......  BUT you must work out   -

HOW...... is that top tier going to stay where you want it - you don't seriously think that 2 dots of royal icing on top of the straws will be enough to hold it??

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%