Any Aussies Here?

Lounge By baking-mama Updated 4 Sep 2015 , 9:24pm by Magic Mouthfuls

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 11:10pm
post #241 of 797

AOh good! I'm glad Pam stepped in. Another thing to remember when pricing, even if it's simple it's still a process that takes days to complete so don't undervalue your time.

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 11:27pm
post #242 of 797

ahhhhhhh - Baby Booties !!   I stand corrected - here I was scolding you because I had a picture in my mind of life size pair of stilletos!! haha

You are not far off the mark for baby booties... BUT if they are $13.50 for the pair - you should be knocking those babies out in about  TEN MINUTES

cakenewbelp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenewbelp Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 11:33pm
post #243 of 797

ALol no just two little baby booties which yes didn't take me very long to do at all lol

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 12:26am
post #244 of 797

AI thought you were doing the entire cake for under $14! Anyway, I'm glad you figured it out! Bling on baby booties would have been cute-I'm sure it will turn out nicely with your new plan.

ashleabrowncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleabrowncake Posted 20 Aug 2013 , 10:19pm
post #245 of 797

Ahey aussies, I am trying to think of a new name for my business, but I am stuck :( I have been going under Ashlea Brown Cakes, but want something a little more creative, and suitable for use as a home-based business and eventually a cupcake shop. I want to stay away from the 'Brown' in my name too. hope you guys can help me get thru my mental block :)

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 2:03am
post #246 of 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleabrowncake 

hey aussies,
I am trying to think of a new name for my business, but I am stuck icon_sad.gif
I have been going under Ashlea Brown Cakes, but want something a little more creative, and suitable for use as a home-based business and eventually a cupcake shop. I want to stay away from the 'Brown' in my name too.
hope you guys can help me get thru my mental block icon_smile.gif

Morning Ashlea

Perhaps...

CAKES by Ashlea

CAKE CREATIONS by Ashlea

THE CAKE & CAKE  STAND by Ashlea

CAKE DELIGHTS by Ashlea

Sorry - that's all i have at the moment. icon_smile.gif

Bluehue

ashleabrowncake Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 7:54am
post #247 of 797

AThanks Bluehue

Bluehue Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 8:12am
post #248 of 797
Quote:

Thanks Bluehue

Its difficult to think of a name for someone else - not knowing exactly what you do or what style of name you are wanting... but i tried lolll.thumbs_up.gif

ashleabrowncake Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 9:28am
post #249 of 797

AI know, and thank you, I really mean that :) they are some good ideas and I could get nothing myself, you have cleared the block and I am playing around with some combinations now, so stay tuned...

Bluehue Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 10:07am
post #250 of 797
Quote:

I know, and thank you, I really mean that icon_smile.gif they are some good ideas and I could get nothing myself, you have cleared the block and I am playing around with some combinations now, so stay tuned...

Staying tuned -  :)

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 12:23pm
post #251 of 797

Hi everyone, I've been away from this thread for a while.  Harking back to the July discussion (whilst I was on holidays) about old fashion techniques I just wanted to say that at our CDAWA in Geraldton on the weekend we had a guest tutor from Perth who taught us pressure piping.  Not the chunky figure (clowns etc.) type but the really delicate lace effect that we could then make 3 D pieces out of.  Well, you could have if you didn't manage to smash your pieces to smithereens like I did.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 2:14pm
post #252 of 797

Ashlea, you might not want to set yourself up just for cakes and cupcakes. Perhaps get a more general name in case you want to make other sweets and desserts. I'm adding to your collection here.

Ashlea's Sweet Corner

Ashlea's Sweet Atélier

Sugar Confections

Sugar & Spice & Everything Nice

Ashlea's Desserts

Sweets by Ashlea

Just Sweetness

Ashlea's Confections

Flour & Sugar

Carabella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carabella Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 4:06am
post #253 of 797

AHey everyone! I'm new and this is my first post and thought this would be a great place to start as I'm from sydney. It's nice to know there are so many of us here! Ashlea, just to add to all of the great suggestions - Ashlea creates

Nadiaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nadiaa Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 4:50am
post #254 of 797

Hey there! I didn't even realise there was an Aussie thread! I'm up in lovely, hot, HUMID Darwin - air conditioning is my friend. Lol! I'm just a hobby baker at the moment, I've been baking for years but am just starting now to push myself a bit more in the decorating side of things. I've found my true love! I could spend all day in the kitchen quite happily creating. Bliss! 

Anyway, it's lovely to meet you all :) 

Carabella Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 7:39am
post #255 of 797

A

Original message sent by Nadiaa

Hey there! I didn't even realise there was an Aussie thread! I'm up in lovely, hot, HUMID Darwin - air conditioning is my friend. Lol! I'm just a hobby baker at the moment, I've been baking for years but am just starting now to push myself a bit more in the decorating side of things. I've found my true love! I could spend all day in the kitchen quite happily creating. Bliss!  Anyway, it's lovely to meet you all :) 

I just found it a few hours ago also! Ahh yes, I think most of us in this country find the air con to be their friends! I'm mostly a hobby baker and make mostly for family and friends but also do a few orders here and there. Great to meet you and everyone else!

cazza1 Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 8:26am
post #256 of 797

Welcome Nadiaa and Carabella.  Nadiaa I was just trying to imagine decorating in the wet season and it is beyond me.  But then I don't much like air conditioning.  If I lived in Darwin I suppose I would have no choice.  I have been to Darwin to work in the wet season a couple of times.  I just love the lightning storms and the extreme downpours of rain.  Don't get much rain where I live and it is generally squally showers but do have to cope with some humidity as I live across the road from the beach.  Enjoy your decorating, both of you.  It is a fabulous hobby to have.  It can be very frustrating but also immensely rewarding.

Nadiaa Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 9:38am
post #257 of 797

Thanks for the warm welcomes :) Yes, decorating up here is challenging! I refrigerate all my cakes. I just have to. But I love Darwin and the wet season is my favourite, the storms up here are like nowhere else.

CakeDays Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDays Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 11:13am
post #258 of 797
Hi everyone, 

An Aussie thread! Awesome! I live on the Gold Coast, and currently enjoying the cooler weather. I'm am just starting out in decorating, with a goal towards opening my own business in the future. I cannot wait to start and get my creativity flowing, just waiting for a few more supply deliveries. Luckily my partner was in the U.S and will be flying over next week and I've been able to load him up with quite a lot :)

Nice to meet you all. 
cazza1 Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 1:14pm
post #259 of 797

Freckles I was just thinking about you and wondering if all went well with the birth of your baby.  I hope all is well and that you are just not on here lately because you are plum tuckered out.  Hope you see this and let us know how you are.

Alvida Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alvida Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 9:22pm
post #260 of 797

Hello to all of the Aussies icon_smile.gif

Just going to crash this thread even though I'm Canadian, my husband is Aussie.

At his request for his birthday this past week, I made Pavlova.

It was a big hit and I don't think I've tasted a better dessert thumbs_up.gif

Carabella Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 10:46pm
post #261 of 797

AMmmmm, Pavlova! Now I want some! I haven't made that since last summer! I love making mine in a wreath design, topping it in sweetened cream with strawberries drizzled in chocolate. Yummy!

Nadiaa Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 12:24am
post #262 of 797

Chocolate pav is my favourite. I love the slight bitterness that the dark chocolate and balsamic vinegar give. It's still sweet (it has a heap of sugar after all!) but the bitter flavours give the chocolate depth. Topped with chantilly cream and raspberries - divine!! 

CakeDays Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDays Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 1:18am
post #263 of 797

Oh pavlova... Yum! I made this for my partner, he's American so had never tried it and he didn't like it at all. Well, he did like the whipped cream. I seriously re-evaluated our relationship after hearing that lol.

MustangMollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustangMollie Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 12:32pm
post #264 of 797

Hi gals,

I'm American buy married an Aussie and moved to Adelaide. I've been here for a bit over 3 years. I'm just a fledgling hobbyist cake maker (just did my first cake for my birthday over the weekend), but I wanted to say hi :)

Gails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gails Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 6:08pm
post #265 of 797

A

Original message sent by FrecklesCakes

another hobby baker from Perth, WA girl here :)

Chellescakes lol thats so true

Kegs302 - I agree with Bluehue try the fan. Also some fondants are easier for me to use in our climate than others but that may just be me.

Gails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gails Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 6:15pm
post #266 of 797

AAnother one here from Perth! Just a cake hobbyist too, I love this time of year when heat isn't a problem, we have evap air con and its a nightmare because of the high moisture so I agree with the fan method and keep the cake as open to air as possible once decorated, sometimes I just put them in the larder overnight covered with one of those umbrella fly nets.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 7:44pm
post #267 of 797

I'm going to sneak in here for just a minute since I'm not Aussie, (Does having Aussie friends count?) I was considering your business name and wanted to add:

Ashlea's Awesome Sweets

I can just visualize that swinging on a sign above your shop's door...

OK, now I'll just tiptoe back out of this thread and turn it back to you guys...

Jan

MustangMollie Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 8:52pm
post #268 of 797

AHas anyone here done a course or workshop at Planet Cake in Sydney? My birthday was over the weekend and I asked for money towards a PC class, now i just have to pick which one and book in ... I'm SOOOO excited!!!

Nadiaa Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 9:43pm
post #269 of 797

Wow!! I'm so jealous :) I would love, love, love to do a PC class!! Have the bestest fun ever - and Happy Birthday for the weekend!!!! 

MustangMollie Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 10:31pm
post #270 of 797

Thanks Nadiaa! :) I'm totally looking forward to the PC class!!! I'm brand new to cake making (I've only done one ... and had a few issues with it). Which PC class do you think I should do? I'm thinking of doing the quick start accelerate (you do a single tier round and a single tier square) or should I do the basics 101 (a single tier round)? I'm also really interested in the piping workshop and the sugar flowers workshop.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%