Is This A Reasonable Price For A 4 Tier Wedding Cake?

Business By Blueridgebuttercream Updated 8 Dec 2013 , 6:28pm by jason_kraft

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 1:38am
post #61 of 108

Quote:

Originally Posted by lubbyanne 

i am new at cake making and i would love to have my first wedding cake order, an if i have to be low priced to do it , until i become better and better at it than i am wonderfully happy to get the experience.  I have done a couple fake wedding cakes for display when time and my client will know the price is for a decorator newer to the business and charging according to the experience. And when i get enough wedding cakes that  i have done to get a photo album started to see my work for weddings than my price will go up. Almost anything you do in life your experience dictates your wages.  Hardly anyone starts at the top  .

I don't understand this mindset. Why would a new decorator want to gain "experience" on one of the most important days of a couples' life? I don't understand why someone just starting out wouldn't practice until they have skills to warrant a decent wage before selling a cake to someone for a special event, especially a wedding. So many want to jump into weddings without having the skills to be really ready, and the client and baker end up heartbroken over the results. It's so sad to see bakers being misled that they can do ANY cake and try EVERY order when some are not ready. Learn to walk before you run.  I understand wanting to encourage people, but like DD said, not to the detriment of the client. These are special occasions to people, special enough that they seek out someone to make something unique, not just a chain store copy. The "harshness" that a lot of newbies don't understand comes from seeing the same stories of a baker that took on too much before they were ready and ended up with a bad outcome. They post pictures and stories of a cake not turning out and an "oh well, I'll do better next time" attitude..there's not a do-over for that couple who just got married and ended up with a less than expected cake at their reception.  Practice, make a few 3-4 tiered REAL cakes to make sure the basics of filling, stacking, covering cakes are not just mediocre, but good -- worthy of someone's special occasion before taking that order. YES, practice can get expensive, any education costs money, you are educating yourself on how to become a good decorator/designer. There are a variety of price ranges, a lot of times based on where you live, but there is no excuse for even a lower priced, entry level cake to not be level, with straight sides, without bulges, wrinkled fondant or not smooth buttercream and a clean board. Until those things are perfect every time, just don't sell the cake, it's not fair to the client who deserves those simple things.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 1:44am
post #62 of 108

Nah, I was giving advise.  :-D  Thank you for your kind words justmeandcake.  Enough time on this forum and you will start to realize that just about everyone means well but the advise can come across a bit on the stern side sometimes.  

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 2:55am
post #63 of 108

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixinarow 

I don't understand this mindset. Why would a new decorator want to gain "experience" on one of the most important days of a couples' life? I don't understand why someone just starting out wouldn't practice until they have skills to warrant a decent wage before selling a cake to someone for a special event, especially a wedding. So many want to jump into weddings without having the skills to be really ready, and the client and baker end up heartbroken over the results. It's so sad to see bakers being misled that they can do ANY cake and try EVERY order when some are not ready. Learn to walk before you run.  I understand wanting to encourage people, but like DD said, not to the detriment of the client. These are special occasions to people, special enough that they seek out someone to make something unique, not just a chain store copy. The "harshness" that a lot of newbies don't understand comes from seeing the same stories of a baker that took on too much before they were ready and ended up with a bad outcome. They post pictures and stories of a cake not turning out and an "oh well, I'll do better next time" attitude..there's not a do-over for that couple who just got married and ended up with a less than expected cake at their reception.  Practice, make a few 3-4 tiered REAL cakes to make sure the basics of filling, stacking, covering cakes are not just mediocre, but good -- worthy of someone's special occasion before taking that order. YES, practice can get expensive, any education costs money, you are educating yourself on how to become a good decorator/designer. There are a variety of price ranges, a lot of times based on where you live, but there is no excuse for even a lower priced, entry level cake to not be level, with straight sides, without bulges, wrinkled fondant or not smooth buttercream and a clean board. Until those things are perfect every time, just don't sell the cake, it's not fair to the client who deserves those simple things.

Well said!!  ;-D

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 3:03am
post #64 of 108

A

Original message sent by sixinarow

I agree with Six's statement. I do not understand this mindset at all!

I don't care if your customer is aware you are new to decorating, chances are they don't realize how much work goes into making & decorating a custom cake. It is our job, to explain that.

This thread (old and new) started out as a simple discussion. There is a lot of useful information here from successful business owners, take it as you will, but the only people I see being rude or nasty are the ones complaining about people being rude and nasty.

The only thing I wish to add is many people starting out price too low. It is typically due to ignorance, and they'll eventually realize (or quit due to frustration) and begin to factor in ALL of their actual costs. However, being hateful or disrespectful to those who are only trying to save you this heartache, well it just seems silly to me.

Charge what you want, it really doesn't matter to me. You need to understand the same people trying to explain the actual overhead we all have are the same people who respond to posts saying 'Help! Order due in three days and I have no clue what I'm doing' or 'Cake Disaster, what do I do?'. This isn't directed at anyone in particular and I'm not trying to disrespect anyone (or their skills).

For many of us this is how we support ourselves, naturally we will have strong opinions on this topic especially. It does effect us all, it devalues what we do. There are so many cake shows, magazines, etc. that make it seem like such an easy job or advertise it as 'a quick, easy way to make money from home'. I just don't understand why anyone would willingly add to the problem.

For those who share the mindset of the original poster, who said she wanted to make custom cakes available to everyone-it's a lovely idea but it's not the mindset of a person who wishes to run a successful business.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 3:15am
post #65 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

it comes as no surprise that some owners take out their aggression on unsuspecting newbies---like a warped initiation or something--just check the not so distant archives--if any reasonable person reads some of these threads they would respond as allthingsnice1 has --

i am not commenting in particular on the nuances of this thread because i've read it before--recently there was a pile on on a chick who clearly stated she had a tragedy and part of her recovery was baking--oh we take no hostages--

mimi, idk--allthingsnice1 says they read the thread and i did read op's posts and op describes herself as atn1 states by post #6, a mom and a baker with a sweet new order for her new business--

troll or no troll--vengeance or voice of god

our favorite bush to hide behind  :lol:

Kate, I need a translator for this and apparently no one else wants the job... Please restate in simple, concise words.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 3:40am
post #66 of 108

Quote:

Originally Posted by allthingsnice1 

Perhaps you folks might just take a breath (have a cup of tea, perhaps?) and gain a little perspective

Newbie: condescending much?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 4:00am
post #67 of 108

Quote:

Originally Posted by MimiFix 

Kate, I need a translator for this and apparently no one else wants the job... Please restate in simple, concise words.

what does 'apparently no one else wants the job' mean? who else? what do you not understand

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 4:20am
post #68 of 108

Quote:

Originally Posted by justmeandacake 

I'm not sure how to do the quote on here.. Nor I'm here often enough to care. But, Norasmom... Thank you for the advise. It makes a lot of sense. And we all can learn from persons like you! That's the type of advise that should be given out ..not a bunch of thoughtless words! Again, thank you!

Advise vs. Advice- please learn the difference! 

That is my advice to you.

allthingsnice1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allthingsnice1 Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 6:13am
post #69 of 108

AYes, justmeandacake, your comment that there is a lack of respectful advice on here is spot on. I think Norasmom is the only member who has attempted to give measured and reasonable perspective on this topic in a way that is respectful. Thanks for that.

For the record, I'm not the original poster "out for vengeance" - jeez calm down! -- I'm just someone who came here in the belief that this might be a useful place to exchange ideas and information... Yes I am a 'newbie' to the site (whatever that means- what are we in high school or something?)... and as I scrolled through the thread I was fairly disgusted at the tone of some peoples responses. Rather than an open and supportive/welcoming community for those with similar interests, businesses etc., it appears to be a platform for (some) members to sit behind the anonymous shield of the internet and exchange snarky and sarcastic comments, and then high-five each other for how "witty" they are being. I mean, the fact that someone would pick on a person for grammatical errors or use of exclamation marks in such a way is just plain rude. Disappointing to see members who are clearly experienced in the industry so ready to tear down, attack, and quite frankly, completely overreact to a simple question about price points from someone starting out.

Anyway, life's too short for all this petty back and forth business, so I'll be on my way. Cheers

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 6:20am
post #70 of 108

ASo is the advice bad because of the way somebody said it?

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 6:33am
post #71 of 108

I fail to see how my responses, or those of Smckinney07, sixinarow, etc. are any different than what Norasmom said. We are all saying the same thing. 

Also, the term "newbie" as I understand it is not meant as derogatory, it's used a lot on forums, and in this instance can mean both someone new to the forum and/or someone new to the business of cake decorating. 

I guess I'm missing something, because for the most part I don't see where you are seeing a lack of respectful advice. It's straightforward and may lack sugar-coating, yes, but disrespectful? I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm truly trying to understand what I'm missing here. 

ETA: I know there have been a few tongue-in-cheek responses and people correcting grammar, but you are saying that every response on this thread other than Norasmom's is disrespectful, and that's what I don't see. 

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 6:41am
post #72 of 108

A

Original message sent by allthingsnice1

Disappointing to see members who are clearly experienced in the industry so ready to tear down, attack, and quite frankly, completely overreact to a simple question about price points from someone starting out.

You're absolutely right, there is no reason to completely overreact to a simple discussion about a pricing question, especially when your own attack-laden post was responsible for taking this thread completely off the rails six months after the most recent post.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 7:20am
post #73 of 108
Quote:

Yes, justmeandacake, your comment that there is a lack of respectful advice on here is spot on. I think Norasmom is the only member who has attempted to give measured and reasonable perspective on this topic in a way that is respectful. Thanks for that.

For the record, I'm not the original poster "out for vengeance" - jeez calm down! -- I'm just someone who came here in the belief that this might be a useful place to exchange ideas and information... Yes I am a 'newbie' to the site (whatever that means- what are we in high school or something?)... and as I scrolled through the thread I was fairly disgusted at the tone of some peoples responses. Rather than an open and supportive/welcoming community for those with similar interests, businesses etc., it appears to be a platform for (some) members to sit behind the anonymous shield of the internet and exchange snarky and sarcastic comments, and then high-five each other for how "witty" they are being. I mean, the fact that someone would pick on a person for grammatical errors or use of exclamation marks in such a way is just plain rude.
Disappointing to see members who are clearly experienced in the industry so ready to tear down, attack, and quite frankly, completely overreact to a simple question about price points from someone starting out.

Anyway, life's too short for all this petty back and forth business, so I'll be on my way. Cheers

1)  It might be worth considering that you really don't understand some of the issues.

2)  I don't think anyone needs you to tell them to "calm down".

3)  And not sure why you don't give "members who are clearly experienced in the industry" more credit for their posts. Wouldn't it be logical to assume they know what they're talking about instead of assuming they're wrong just because their statements don't sound right to you?  One of the reasons some experts here are frustrated is that often people who know next to nothing about the cake business argue that they don't know what they're talking about.

Quote:

Originally Posted by justmeandacake 

Will you all just stop it!!! I'm sure if the op sold a cake for less than you all.. I'm pretty sure she did not break your bank account, or took a client from you. Which by the way... I sell a cake for whatever price I feel like!!! I'll give it away if I want! Some of you on here are not giving advise.. You are only trying to control the situation! Geez!!! ...Now please.. Go somewhere and Give good advise and stop..all this! ( I was reading this thread to get info..but now, I'll just give the darn cake away)

Good for you that you can give away free cake or sell cake way under a fair price. I don't have that luxury. The sole source of income for my household is my cakes. Try to imagine what someone in my position might think about what you just said.

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 7:41am
post #74 of 108
Quote:

If you're referring to my remarks regarding what I posted, well, when somebody makes snarky posts repeatedly using incorrect grammar/spelling- I feel that is rude to the English language. I'm not picking on anyone. Just please respect whatever language you're using. If you think that is rude- that's not my issue.

All this "everyone is so rude/mean" stuff on here lately is dumb. Cry me a river, build a bridge and get over it.

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 11:45am
post #75 of 108

A

Original message sent by cakefat

All this "everyone is so rude/mean" stuff on here lately is dumb. Cry me a river, build a bridge and get over it.

♥ snork

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 2:37pm
post #76 of 108

I just want to give my 2 cents but first want to say that CC is an amazing site that I have learnt loads from, I know that I could not do what  I do today without all the help on here. 

My 2 cents is about bringing people up on their spelling or grammatical mistakes, I only say this bc although I was born in London I've lived out of an English speaking country for more years than I lived in it so I know that I sometimes have difficulty with speaking/ writing or even remembering the right English words when  I want to say something plus if you account for typos there are even more errors to be accounted for. Please keep this in mind, thanks and blessings and happy holidays to all:smile:

justmeandacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justmeandacake Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 4:47pm
post #77 of 108

AHey everyone... Did you see that beautiful cake in the picture gallery???!!!..QUICK!!!!!.....Go check it out!!!

justmeandacake Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 4:55pm
post #78 of 108

AApurencen y miren Los fotos ..Estan bonitos!! How's that for grammar *****ES!!! And to tell you the truth seeing how bunch of you behave on here.. No way I want to take any advise from you.. Oh excuse me.. Advice! How's this for grammar ... KISS MY ASS!!! I know I'll be deleted from here..but that's ok!! JASON YOUR AND ASSHOLE THERES NOTHING WRONG WRONG WITH "CHARITY" so no need for your sarcasm !! And I think your name is mimifox or some **** like that.. Stop acting stupid!! Or maybe you are stupid.. Not sure because I don't know you.. Anyhow toodles.. AND Happy Holidays..ASSHOles!! I'm out!!

justmeandacake Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 4:57pm
post #79 of 108

AEye catching isn't it!!!!

justmeandacake Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 5:06pm
post #80 of 108

AOh..em...gee.... Did everyone read what justmeandacake posted on here??? (Jaw dropping) oh no!!! So rude!!all we were trying to do was give her advise.. Oops.. I meant advice. (Palm on forehead) gee... She's so rude.. Sigh!! What are we to do now.. Maybe use up all of our day and reply by quoting her???? ....Yes!!! FUNNNN!! Let's quote her all day long.. Hahaaa...!!!

Godot Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 5:24pm
post #81 of 108

AOy vey.

I love all the drama on CC.

Don't let the door hit you on the @$$ on your way out.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 5:25pm
post #82 of 108

I smell a fourteen, wait, maybe a ten year old troll. Who apparently doesn't know that posting "I'm out" means that you quit posting after that. Toodles.

justmeandacake Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 5:26pm
post #83 of 108

AAnd....20 minutes later... I'm waiting for quotes or replies fooos!!! I made sure to decorate my house yesterday ..(pretty big house so it took me all darn day) So that I had all the time in the world to reply to you all today.. So let's at it.. You grammar hogs!!!

justmeandacake Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 5:27pm
post #84 of 108

AHey *****es!!! No door on here to hit me in the ass!!

Godot Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 5:27pm
post #85 of 108

A

Original message sent by justmeandacake

Apurencen y miren Los fotos ..Estan bonitos!! How's that for grammar *****ES!!! And to tell you the truth seeing how bunch of you behave on here.. No way I want to take any advise from you.. Oh excuse me.. Advice! How's this for grammar ... KISS MY ASS!!! I know I'll be deleted from here..but that's ok!! JASON YOUR AND ASSHOLE THERES NOTHING WRONG WRONG WITH "CHARITY" so no need for your sarcasm !! And I think your name is mimifox or some **** like that.. Stop acting stupid!! Or maybe you are stupid.. Not sure because I don't know you.. Anyhow toodles.. AND Happy Holidays..ASSHOles!! I'm out!!

Aw Jason, I know you must be way sad, being and [sic] @$$hole and all.

justmeandacake Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 5:28pm
post #86 of 108

A"You smell".. I'll give you something to smell!!

justmeandacake Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 5:29pm
post #87 of 108

AGodot... Lmfao!! I bet I can keep you all on here.. Post after post after post..

Godot Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 5:30pm
post #88 of 108

A

Original message sent by costumeczar

I smell a fourteen, wait, maybe a ten year old troll. Who apparently doesn't know that posting "I'm out" means that you quit posting after that. Toodles.

Really!

It's always highly amusing when all the drama queens stamp their little footsie-wootsies and shriek that they're leaving, and they end up hanging out and posting a bunch more drama queen crap!

Godot Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 5:31pm
post #89 of 108

A

Original message sent by justmeandacake

"You smell".. I'll give you something to smell!!

What - did you fart?

justmeandacake Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 5:33pm
post #90 of 108

ACostume..you are very correct.. I normally do not use that term.. "I'm out" my kids use that often.. Thought it was cute! But.. Go move some snow around.. Or better yet, go bake cake .."troll" hahaa.. Ouch...NOT!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%