Cake Pops-No More Hand Rolling!!!

Baking By cupcakesnbuttercream Updated 10 Mar 2013 , 7:03pm by Vanilla Bean

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 8:51pm
post #31 of 103

she should send one to Bakerella... she has such a huge following. Way too expensive for me. I hate making cake balls, especially dipping them.

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 9:05pm
post #32 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by WykdGud

I've used other rollers (both for clay and marzipan) and they work EXCELLENT.

I just saw the one on pastrychef.com for marzipan. It's exactly like this one...exactly...except it makes smaller balls. So...the person selling this one didn't "invent" this device; she's just selling one that makes bigger balls. I only say this because on her Facebook page, she takes credit for "designing" it. Anyway...I hope she gets lots of orders.

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 9:18pm
post #33 of 103

I love making cake balls, and sell TONNES, but its still a little steep for me icon_sad.gif

cutiepiecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiecupcake Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 9:24pm
post #34 of 103

wow.. omg it is identical to the one on pastrychef! Would she get into trouble copying the design so closely? I bet if it's successful the original designer is going to be asking for compensation!

WykdGud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WykdGud Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 9:25pm
post #35 of 103

I looked at her page and don't see where she's taking all the credit. She is apparently commissioning the manufacture of a different size for a different purpose (specifically, cake balls). I don't think it's any different than Joy Mangano adding felt-y stuff to hangers and selling huggable hangers as if she were a genius (uh, dry cleaners have been putting foam on their hangers for decades). But it was SHE who took the initiative and had them manufactured to her specifications for sale. Joy most definitely didn't invent the hanger, but she did brand the idea and mass produce it.

JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 9:37pm
post #36 of 103
Quote:

I looked at her page and don't see where she's taking all the credit.

Yeah...Someone asked if she designed it and she says, "I didicon_smile.gif"

No, she didn't design it. She had one made that makes bigger balls than the one already being sold on pastrychef.com. Other than that, it's exactly the same. It might not be a big deal, but then again, it might be to the person who actually DID design/invent it.

JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 9:43pm
post #37 of 103
Quote:

I don't think it's any different than Joy Mangano adding felt-y stuff to hangers and selling huggable hangers as if she were a genius (uh, dry cleaners have been putting foam on their hangers for decades). But it was SHE who took the initiative and had them manufactured to her specifications for sale. Joy most definitely didn't invent the hanger, but she did brand the idea and mass produce it.

But was anyone already selling hangers with felt-y stuff on them before Joy? (I don't know.) That would be the difference. The exact product this person is selling is already on the market, except that it makes smaller balls. I really could see the actual inventor coming after her if it starts selling.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 10:21pm
post #38 of 103

Amazing...if I made them, I'd buy it...but I don't, so I won't. Will save the site tho!

cutiepiecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiecupcake Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 10:35pm
post #39 of 103

Thanks for pointing out the original gadget WykdGud.. didn't know they existed. They even come in a single roller for about $35 US.. might grab myself one for fondant balls/pearls.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 10:40pm
post #40 of 103

I want to find something affordable that will make, like, 1" round balls for the borders of topsy turvy (etc) tiered cakes...I HATE rolling all those!!!

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 10:43pm
post #41 of 103

You've got to be kidding on the price! Well, not you, but them.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 8:09am
post #42 of 103

The owner emailed me back. She has pre-orders for 30 so far. I told her I felt comfortable ordering because it was Paypal. She said that was the reason she picked Paypal and chose the $1.00 reservation. I haven't ordered yet.

travmand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travmand Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 1:27pm
post #43 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinalicia

she should send one to Bakerella... she has such a huge following. Way too expensive for me. I hate making cake balls, especially dipping them.

I made cake balls for the first time last night....flip'n delicious. But...the dipping process is so tedious and downright boring!!! Glad I'm not alone.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 1:57pm
post #44 of 103

I think that it looks super cool - but the price is ridiculous. I mean, my dobord was only like $70. And I would use my dobord way more than a cake bite roller. Crazy expensive! Plus, there's something special about handrolled things.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 2:19pm
post #45 of 103

call me crazy but looks like you could probably make the same thing using those white wilton formers that you use for flowers? line them up, attach them together somehow and then make a "case" to hold them all together and give you some support so the top one can roll over it.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 2:27pm
post #46 of 103

Wouldn't a piece of pvc pipe cut in half do the same thing? I mean, only in small quanities. If you were small time and only needed a few, I think this might work. I'll have to try and let you know (if I can get DH to help me with it). It sounds like a two person job to me, LOL.

edited to add: Also, not real thrilled with how painstaking she is with putting the second batch in the machine (like they have to be placed in there perfectly or it won't work right). This is usually a sign that perhaps the machine can be finicky to some extent.

scp1127 Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 2:39pm
post #47 of 103

it looks like she is positioning them exactly so that the end ones aren't bigger and littler.

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 4:31pm
post #48 of 103

I thought the same thing cabecakes. I already showed it to my husband and told him to add that to his "projects".

cakesbybeccam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybeccam Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 5:07pm
post #49 of 103

I ordered a hard lolli pop mold to try and form them in. I might try it today I hope it works.

WykdGud Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 6:29pm
post #50 of 103

I don't think a home-made version would work nearly as well as this. First, this contraption doesn't just roll them, it forms the balls into the right size and "cuts" them as well. so you'd need something with sharp edges and no seams so that no cake ball mixture gets between the cracks and causes sticking. Also, doesn't it have to be food grade plastic? Is PVC food grade (I really don't know. I know they use it for structural purposes in cakes, but that it's not supposed to touch the cake itself)

I think in theory it sounds easy, but I think it would be a lot of time and money wasted to try creating your own. However, if someone wants to try it, I'd love to hear how it works out! icon_smile.gif

Think about how many hours would be spent trying to get of these created/perfected and also shopping for the parts as well as the gas to get the stores. I'd estimate a total of at least 10 hours spent on design, shopping and "manufacturing" the piece - at $10/hr. plus the cost of the gas used for shopping and the parts purchased (another $50?)

And then if it doesn't work?

I'll just buy one of these... and darn it, I need more people who want to buy them too so she can get her minimum order and I can get mine! Heh.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 7:36pm
post #51 of 103

Evidently people have no idea what it cost to get something into production. I don't see PVC working but more power to you if it does.

scp1127 Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 7:53pm
post #52 of 103

She would already have a big investment in the prototype. The owner is prompt in answering questions. I told her about the discussions and suggested she get in touch with CC admin and possibly share information on the site.

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 8:01pm
post #53 of 103

I didnt get through all the posts, so if this is repeatitive, forgive me.

The second I saw the roller I recognized it immediately! When I was in pastry school our instructor used something exactly like that, the only exception being it made smaller balls. We used it for marzipan. My instructor used to tell us that 2 companies sent them items on a regular basis to try and provide feedback. They wanted feedback from professionals as well as 'newbies'.

It was easy to find : http://www.pastrychef.com/MARZIPAN-ROLLERBOARD_p_1073.html

In my opinion, I think it has a potential for the price to actually raise if enough people are interested.

I recently had a request to provide a company with numerous cake balls on a very regular basis. They said they'd be used for lunches as well as 'gifts' for potential & existing clients.
I was happy to be asked, but I was nervous because its such a pain in the butt to roll even 1 batch, how would i be able to do tons on a regular basis??
I guess this would be a great way.
Im definitely considering it.

WykdGud Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 8:05pm
post #54 of 103

I just watched the video again - she made 35 cake balls in less than 3 minutes.

If she weren't going so slow for the purpose of demonstration, I bet it would be at least double that. Want to know how long it takes me to roll out 70 cake balls by hand? And how sore my hands are afterward?

It's amazing to me how many people don't see the value in this...

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 8:15pm
post #55 of 103

I am almost convinced to put my down payment on this gadget. I intend to open my store front the end of April. This might be a good thing.

scp1127 Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 8:18pm
post #56 of 103

She said she was going to start marketing to high production companies, so I am sure she will get her numbers.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 9:38pm
post #57 of 103
Quote:

I just watched the video again - she made 35 cake balls in less than 3 minutes.

If she weren't going so slow for the purpose of demonstration, I bet it would be at least double that. Want to know how long it takes me to roll out 70 cake balls by hand? And how sore my hands are afterward?

It's amazing to me how many people don't see the value in this...

Every other post in this thread is you pushing the merits of this product. She should just give you one. LOL

WykdGud Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 9:44pm
post #58 of 103

Well darn it - if she doesn't get her minimum met, I don't get one at all! You bet I'm pimping it out... I WANT ONE! icon_smile.gif

And honestly, it bugs the snot out of me that there are so many people here who are looking at nothing but the negative, and somebody has got to point out the positives - and there are several. (Apparently, I've appointed myself for the job.)

Although... a free one WOULD be nice. (Hope whoever makes them is reading. Heh.)

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 10:24pm
post #59 of 103

I would love to have one, but I can't justify spending that kind of money when I typically make a dozen or two occasionally. Now if I got an order for 100+, that's a different story.

KATHIESKREATIONS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 10:40pm
post #60 of 103

Oh, I just love gadgets & this is one sweet gadget!!! I would love to have this & if I can justify spending what she wants for this, $199.99 plus shipping & tax, it will be in my possession....just sayin'!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%