Mbc Epiphany!!

Decorating By Melvira Updated 3 Jun 2011 , 7:51pm by DeniseNH

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 1:29am
post #1 of 279

I really fought it.

I was NOT giving up my American buttercream.

I had tried SMBC and was not a fan. It seemed tedious, I wasn't that 'into' the flavor/texture really. And I HATED wasting the egg yolks! I know you can make stuff with them, but I never got around to it. Every time I'd put them in the fridge intending to utilize them, and every time they had to be thrown out. thumbsdown.gif

So, I saw a little video for IMBC on YouTube a while back and thought I should give it a try. I know the difference between those two is probably pretty small, but for some reason, the IMBC hit me right. It was easier and faster to make than I remembered. I made three different batches... first unsalted butter, something wasn't exactly right, but it was good. Then salted butter... not quite right either, but really warming up to it. Then half and half. icon_surprised.gif You know how the clouds part, the single ray of light shines down, and harps play? Yah. I went bonkers. THAT was the stuff. SO much less messy than PS based buttercream. SO delicious!! But I still couldn't get past the wasted yolks!

So why did it not occur to me that the obvious answer was liquid egg whites? icon_confused.gif I saw them on the shelf above the eggs the other day and it slapped me in the gourd that this was the answer. I was a bit nervous that it wouldn't work the same... were there 'extra' ingredients? were they too 'processed', would they not taste right? etc. But the ingredients list just says 'egg whites', so I gave it a shot. Ok... bye-bye to EVERY excuse for not making IMBC. It's quick, it's not that expensive, it's so freakin' delicious that I want to cry right now because I don't have any made. icon_redface.gif We are NOT going to discuss how much of it I ate last night. So far my absolute favorite is lemon, followed by maple. OMG. It hurts just saying it!

So... to all of you wise acres that said I'd love it if I just opened my heart and mind... I'm sorry I was such a hard sell. Buuuut... I have to go right now because, well, all this talk... you know... gotta go make some IMBC!!!

P.S. I am not going to stop using my American Buttercream for my customers unless they try this and want it, simply because I am FAMOUS for my ABC, and because it might be dangerous for me to have that stuff around very often!! icon_rolleyes.gif

278 replies
gourmetsharon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gourmetsharon Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 1:48am
post #2 of 279

Would you please share your recipe for the IMBC?
I see several versions.

Does it smooth nicely too?

Thanks for sharing!

Melvira Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:57am
post #3 of 279

It is utterly perfect in every way. Only three basic ingredients, and then whatever flavoring you desire. Smooth, silky, painfully delish! I just made a batch of Butter Rum, and it's my new favorite! icon_lol.gif

1 c. liquid egg whites (or 4 large egg whites)
2 c. sugar
6 sticks butter (half salted, half unsalted)
optional - tiny pinch of salt
flavoring

Put egg whites in mixing bowl of stand mixer (or whatever you use) and place that in a pot of simmering water. (Make sure NO yolk gets in it!) Slowly pour in premeasured amount of sugar while gently whisking. If desired add a very small pinch of salt. Heat just until sugar is completely dissolved. (For the technical peeps, at least 140 degrees in order to pasteurize them. But it will get warm enough by the time the sugar is dissolved, so I don't even use a thermometer.) Place bowl in a water bath to begin cooling while you slice butter into pats. Place bowl on stand mixer with whisk attachment on med-high to high speed. Whip until soft peak stage and whites are completely cool. Switch to paddle attachment and slowly add butter while beating at medium speed. At one point it may seem like it's curdled or separating, ignore that, finish adding the butter and turn up the speed to med-high and within a minute or two it will be the most smooth, beautiful icing. Add desired flavoring. For a batch this size I add an entire 2 dram bottle of LorAnn because I like lots of flavor. It is wonderful! thumbs_up.gif

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:04am
post #4 of 279

I think I just might give a try! Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

Melvira Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:10am
post #5 of 279

My pleasure. Ummm... I need to go get something out of the refrigerator. icon_lol.gif

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:14am
post #6 of 279

this is just what i have been needing to hear. I too have backed off from using this kind of icing. I will give this recipe a try, it sounds easy. So have you iced a cake yet?, how was it getting it smooth. thanks for sharing.

abeane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abeane Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:18am
post #7 of 279

Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Melvira Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:26am
post #8 of 279

It smooths very nicely, and the best part is that it firms up kind of stiff in the fridge so it's great for fondant. You can retain that crisp edge. You cannot use the "Melvira Method" for smoothing though because it doesn't crust. You have to use a hot spatula or one of those methods. I just like to use it for cupcakes most of all though. Ok, I'm not gonna lie... I like eating it with a spoon. icon_lol.gificon_redface.gif

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:29am
post #9 of 279

i make smbc and use liquid egg whites all the time too... save me tons of time and no wasted yolks!

cakemom24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom24 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:36am
post #10 of 279

so do you replace the butter with half and half?? How much??

Carlachef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carlachef Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:46am
post #11 of 279

What did you do with the half and half?

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:49am
post #12 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemom24

I think that she meant half salted and half unsalted butter

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:51am
post #13 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

It is utterly perfect in every way. Only three basic ingredients, and then whatever flavoring you desire. Smooth, silky, painfully delish! I just made a batch of Butter Rum, and it's my new favorite! icon_lol.gif

2 c. sugar
flavoring

Put egg whites in mixing bowl of stand mixer (or whatever you use) and place that in a pot of simmering water. (Make sure NO yolk gets in it!) Slowly pour in premeasured amount of sugar while gently whisking. If desired add a very small pinch of salt. Heat just until sugar is completely dissolved. (For the technical peeps, at least 140 degrees in order to pasteurize them. But it will get warm enough by the time the sugar is dissolved, so I don't even use a thermometer.) Place bowl in a water bath to begin cooling while you slice butter into pats. Place bowl on stand mixer with whisk attachment on med-high to high speed. Whip until soft peak stage and whites are completely cool. Switch to paddle attachment and slowly add butter while beating at medium speed. At one point it may seem like it's curdled or separating, ignore that, finish adding the butter and turn up the speed to med-high and within a minute or two it will be the most smooth, beautiful icing. Add desired flavoring. For a batch this size I add an entire 2 dram bottle of LorAnn because I like lots of flavor. It is wonderful! thumbs_up.gif

Melvira, where's the half and half? I thought you said that's what made it over the top?

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:53am
post #14 of 279

I offer it as one of my options - but I charge the same for it as I do fondant! I have had one person order it so far. It is hands down my DH's favorite. He LOVES it. Now that I have an ALdi's in town, it doesn't break my heart using all that butter! icon_biggrin.gif

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:54am
post #15 of 279

On my list of things to try. Thanks for the great review!

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:57am
post #16 of 279

LOL, DUH! jk, yeah it's super easy that way, huh!!

does 4 egg whites sound right? I use Warren Brown's recipe (thanks to another CC's suggestion) and there are so many more egg whites..but maybe the recipe was doubled...hmmm...

Anyone who wants to see a video on it, it really helped after a couple failed attempts...and MAN is it yummy......http://www.cakeswebake.com/video/italian-meringue-buttercream

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 4:02am
post #17 of 279

oh, and DUH I forgot the best part... they're pasteurized...READ: NO salmonella. I follow the same steps to make it but worry less about the itty bitty chance that the syrup didn't heat the crap out of them enough.

Bakingangel Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 4:02am
post #18 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeandpartygirl

Quote:

Ooooh...I see! icon_redface.gif Another question then...how well does it hold up in hot weather?

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 4:30am
post #19 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakingangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeandpartygirl

Quote:

Ooooh...I see! icon_redface.gif Another question then...how well does it hold up in hot weather?

I think that it is a no go for hot weather. It needs to be pretty much kept refrigerated. I have seen some make it with shortening but that sounds gross to me icon_redface.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 4:30am
post #20 of 279

NO - hot weather is not MBC friendly. I have read that you can add about 1/3 shornting in place of the same amount of butter and that makes it a little more stable for hot weather.

cr8zchpr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cr8zchpr Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 4:39am
post #21 of 279

I use this icing all the time, year round in California, as long as it is out of the direct sun and not 100' it should be fine...

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 4:46am
post #22 of 279

I use this year round in Florida, just wouldn't use it for an outdoor event. In the AC this is fine.

Bakingangel Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 4:46am
post #23 of 279

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll try it in the late fall/winter season. Even then will it need to be kept refrigerated?

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 4:52am
post #24 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

2 c. sugar
flavoring

But this is SMBC isn't it? Always thought Italian was when you make a syrup with sugar and water then pour into the beating egg whites?

cr8zchpr Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 4:55am
post #25 of 279

I keep my finished cake in the fridge until delivery then it can sit out to come to room temperature. By the time they go to cut the cake it should be perfect... you shouldn't cut a cake with SMBC right out of the fridge, doesn't cut nicely, the butter is too stiff.

cr8zchpr Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 4:57am
post #26 of 279

It is SMBC, I'm sorry am I answering to a different thread? Opps, I thought it was about SMBC.

jerseygirlNga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jerseygirlNga Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 5:17am
post #27 of 279

Can someone help me out? I thought I was making SMBC and the recipe was the same. I had followed a video after googleing <--- is that even a word? for Swiss Meringue. I think it was 123 Swiss Meringue...Watching her make the buttercream worked wonders for me!

iluvpeeks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvpeeks Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 5:46am
post #28 of 279

Bunsen is right. IMBC is making the melting sugar/water, and then pouring it into your KA on top of peaked egg whites. Also with IMBC you usually use Castor Sugar (fine sugar).

gourmetsharon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gourmetsharon Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 12:11pm
post #29 of 279

Thanks so much for the recipe and all the advice!

Can't wait to try!

KerrieD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KerrieD Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 12:41pm
post #30 of 279

I tried Warren Browns's IMBC recipe and although mine didn't come out right in texture, it was delish!
BUT!!!!...I had a carton of egg whites and it says on the carton that it should not be used for meringues. Of course I read this AFTER I started the recipe and they were not volumnizing! Is there a specific brand of egg whites?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%