Mbc Epiphany!!

Decorating By Melvira Updated 3 Jun 2011 , 7:51pm by DeniseNH

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 9:56pm
post #61 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

AND SERIOUSLY!!! WHO IS GOING TO GET THIS BOWL OF BUTTER RUM SMBC OUT OF MY FRIDGE BEFORE I EAT THE WHOLE THING?!?!?! !!

That sounds yummy!! send it on sister!!

BakedAlaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakedAlaska Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 10:16pm
post #62 of 279

Hey Melvira, I just figured your original reference to IMBC stood for Iowan Meringue Buttercream... icon_lol.gif

Thanks for the recipe! Happy baking... Oh, and STEP AWAY from the Butter Rum BC bowl....

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 11:01pm
post #63 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakedAlaska

Hey Melvira, I just figured your original reference to IMBC stood for Iowan Meringue Buttercream... icon_lol.gif

Thanks for the recipe! Happy baking... Oh, and STEP AWAY from the Butter Rum BC bowl....

Hahahaha! That's good stuff! I'm going to call it that now. icon_lol.gif

I would be lying if I said you wouldn't have to wrestle me to get this bowl away from me. I have been sneaking little bites all day. Well, I've been working really hard today and have to keep my energy up. icon_twisted.gif

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 5:11pm
post #64 of 279

OOOOO MMMMM GGGG!

Good news and terrible, terrible news!

OK, first of all, I made this icing today after watching the youtube video and researching several threads on MBC. Easy-peasy. I made it using half shelled egg whites and half pasteurized egg whites from a carton. Whipped up pretty, but took fuh-evah to cool off while whipping. Well, it finally cools, so I start adding my butter. Then disaster struck!

My beloved, 9 year old KitchenAid Professional 6 all of a sudden STOPPED spinning and started making a grinding noise! Ooooh noooo! So, I immediately stop it and try to start it a couple more times. No dice. It gets stuck in the same place in every rotation. Panicking, I pull out my old Sunbeam and figure I'll at least try to salvage my MBC. I scrape my soupy, half mixed icing into the Sunbeam and crank it up. I turn my back, trying to look at my KitchenAid again, and I feel something hit me in the back!!! My MBC has climbed the bowl and is FLYING ALL OVER MY KITCHEN! WHA-HUNH??? I stop the mixer and assess the damage. Prolly 1/3 of my MBC is on me, the floor, the counters, the island, everywhere.

I FINALLY get the mess cleaned up, scrape down my icing, and somehow manage to get it mixed. Called KitchenAid and found a local service center. Sniff sniff...really worried about my baby.

OK...now the good news. This icing ROCKS! I divided it in half (what was left haha) and made half mocha vanilla, and half lemon. I'm baking almond devils food cupcakes and WASC coconut cupcakes. I plan to use the mocha on the choco cuppies, and the lemon on the coconut cuppies.

So, yeah...it's been quite eventful this morning! But I did want to comment on how easy this icing was to make, and how delish it is. I've eaten about a half pound of the mocha...and can't seem to stop dipping into this bowl. May have to resolve to NEVER MAKE IT AGAIN so I can't eat my weight in this stuff! Thanks so much for the tips everyone!

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 5:37pm
post #65 of 279

My goodness Melvira...I need to say something about you---I mean you really need to hear this, okay?!

YOU ROCK!!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Honestly, not only are you the nicest lady, but you also have a great sense of humor anddddd, you're tha best 'teacher'!!---I mean there's no doubt when you explain something.

Soooo, I'm running(yes running) to the store, as we speak, to get some egg whites and butter so I can make me some "Iowan Meringue Buttercream asap!!!

Thank you Melvira, you're tha' best thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif really!!!

Melvira Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 10:00pm
post #66 of 279

Rosie, thank you! I'm putting you on my full time payroll!!! You will hearafter be known as Rosie-Feelgood!! icon_lol.gif Make sure you note the recipe correction if you use shelled whites! UGH!

Sassy, I am dying. I am so sorry for what you went through, but I needed that smile. I cannot BELIEVE that after all that trouble you can still call this icing EASY to make!!! AHHHHHH! I'd have been drinking gin straight from the bottle once I felt MBC sliding down the backs of my legs. icon_lol.gif

KerrieD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KerrieD Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 1:31am
post #67 of 279

Ok Mel...fyi...I don't have a Super Walmart by me so I buy my food at Shop Rite. Today I rechecked the carton of eggwhites. It said specifically not for meringues. One was a name brand and the other was a store brand. I will check other grocery stores when I can. Thanks for all your info!!!!!

Melvira Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 3:34am
post #68 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrieD

Ok Mel...fyi...I don't have a Super Walmart by me so I buy my food at Shop Rite. Today I rechecked the carton of eggwhites. It said specifically not for meringues. One was a name brand and the other was a store brand. I will check other grocery stores when I can. Thanks for all your info!!!!!

Ok, that SUCKS!! I just went and checked my carton since you said that. I read everything on it, ingredients, nutrition information area, cooking instructions. It does not say that anywhere. Wierd! These are Great Value brand, which is of course the WalMart brand. Ugh. Well, better luck at another store! I hope you can find it! And while I was in the fridge checking the carton... well, there sat that bowl of icing... icon_redface.gif DANG IT! I am not going to make this again for a long time. Like at least two days! Hehehehe.

KerrieD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KerrieD Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 3:46am
post #69 of 279

When I go back to the store, I am going to take a picture to show you! Couldn't you "hide" the icing??? I'm jealous!

slsharratt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slsharratt Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 10:26am
post #70 of 279

ok, i made it yesterday and i LOVE the consistancy of it, but it is major BUTTER!!!!
would it be possible without the 6 sticks? it takes ALOT of flavoring to get past the butter.
could i add cocoa powder to it without it breaking down?

jenbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbakescakes Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 12:53pm
post #71 of 279

You haven't tried anything until you have tried PEANUT BUTTER SMBC! Yummmmmmm......I'll go look up the recipe.

jenbakescakes Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 1:06pm
post #72 of 279

http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/ild/2005/0905/buttercream.html#axzz0uhOekctG

A couple different recipes, including peanut butter!

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 3:23pm
post #73 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrieD

Hey all....the brand I use from Kroger's says not to use it in meringues, either...but it still works...you can see it here:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-688611-.html

Sometimes I think the secret is making sure absolutely no grease is in the bowl AND using cream of tartar to stabilize.

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 3:24pm
post #74 of 279

Let me add too, that I have never had much luck with the national brand...All Whites...blue carton. For some reason store brands work better.

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 4:27pm
post #75 of 279

[quote=Sassy, I am dying. I am so sorry for what you went through, but I needed that smile. I cannot BELIEVE that after all that trouble you can still call this icing EASY to make!!! AHHHHHH! I'd have been drinking gin straight from the bottle once I felt MBC sliding down the backs of my legs. icon_lol.gif[/quote]

Haha, glad to provide comic relief! Yeah, it was sort of a disaster, but all that aside...the process for making the MBC was easy, and a lot less MESSY than regular PS buttercream. And the good news is that my mixer is going to be repaired for about $20. Gotta love a KA mixer!

And I have to tell you, I took those almond chocolate fudge cuppies with the mocha vanilla MBC to a party last night and almost got MOBBED! They were eating them as soon as I put them on the tray! Three dozen cuppies were gone in less than 20 minutes and ppl were asking for more! Heavenly!

Melvira Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 5:04pm
post #76 of 279

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Peanut Butter MBC?!?!?! WHY do you people want me to weigh 300 pounds?!? icon_lol.gif PLEASE post your recipe for PB flavored MBC. That is... uuuhhhhhh... *bleeping out the naughty, suggestive words that are running through my brain right now*

How did this happen?? What is SO different about the two methods that I am so crazy in love with this now? Or maybe my tastes have changed that much in the past year or so? I know I've gotten to the point that I'm pretty tired of ABC. You know, you just get tired of the same thing all the time, so I'm sure that's why I've embraced this so much. The same thing happened when I started getting into Bettercreme... I couldn't get enough of it. I still love it like crazy, but this is my new obsession.

Thanks to all of you for sharing in my enthusiasm here. You know how sharing something that makes you happy makes you twice as happy! icon_lol.gif I'm just really having a great time with this.

Soooo... how much melted chocolate would you guys say to add to the MBC to make it chocolate? And would you stream it in slowly AFTER the butter?

slsharratt, I wondered the same thing... if you could cut back on the butter a little, but I don't know if it would work. I guess you could try 4 sticks and see what happens, and if it's not working out right, you can always add the rest? Maybe I'll try that today! (Yah, the butter rum is almost gone!! GAH!!)

jenbakescakes Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 5:46pm
post #77 of 279

The peanut butter recipe is on the link that I posted earlier. It is HEAVENLY! I always add more PB than the recipe calls for. Pair it with chocolate cake and it's like a Reese's cup! (But the PB icing is lighter and fluffy and ..... "Hun, do we have any eggs?" lol)

lovenintheoven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovenintheoven Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 5:49pm
post #78 of 279

Giving this a shot today...and going to try it with 1/2 high ratio shorthening and 1/2 salted butter. I have tried ALL the buttercream recipes out there, on here and all in between! And really not over the moon with any of them. Actually, as I am typing this, maybe I will experiment and document as I go today. Cause isn't the base of this a 7 minute frosting (which I do like!)? I'll taste as I go, starting with certain quantities of butter and see how it does. Stay tuned... icon_smile.gif

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 6:32pm
post #79 of 279

In the WBH cookbook, it says to stir in 2 to 3 ounces of melted, body temp (100F) semisweet choc. per 1 cup of buttercream. Mix until smooth and completely blended.

Also, lemon is 1/4 cup lemon curd per 2 cups MBC
- LOVE the lemon as a filling, OMG, just thinking about it makes me want to go make some now, but I won't, I CAN'T, because once I start I KNOW I won't be able to stop!!!

1/4 cup raspberry puree per 2 cups MBC

1/4 cup Nutella per 1 1/2 cups

Coffee: dissolve 2 tbs instant espresso powder in 2 tbs of hot water, whisk in 3 cups MBC, mix until smooth.

I'm going to try Kahlua flavored MBC in a few weeks as a special request for my mom.

Melvira Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 8:44pm
post #80 of 279

Sorry jenbakescakes... I see that link now! icon_rolleyes.gif I was too excited when I saw PB and my eyes went blank!

So... will MBC work well with hi-ratio shortening? If it does, that would be a good way to cut the buttery effect. Even starting with 1/3 shortening or something! Be sure to let us know what you find, I'll be very interested to hear!

I have some white chocolate that I need to use up before it's too old, maybe I'll make some white chocolate MBC. Sheesh... that sounds so good. I'm glad my sister isn't here! She LOVES white chocolate!

FullHouse Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 9:47pm
post #81 of 279

Toba Garrett's book, The Well-Decorated Cake says to change out 3 lbs of butter for 2 lbs 10oz butter and 6oz of Hi-ratio shortening. (orig. recipe is 1 1/2 cups or 10 egg whites; 3 cups gran sugar; 3 lbs butter; 2 tbs extract).

I've done it and it worked well in a filling; but I am certainly not an SMBC expert, I've only made it a few times. HTH.

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 11:04pm
post #82 of 279

Mel, if you can find it, Torani makes a Blood Orange syrup. It makes awesome SMBC flavoring! Actually, any Torani syrup does, but the Blood Orange is to die for. I have to make it per order or I will devour the entire batch. Plus, it's a very pretty pink color, so it's great for summer cakes and cuppies!. As for the chocolate MBC, I normally just melt a bag of "your brand here" chocolate chips for a double batch and slowly pour it in after adding the butter. It will be a little stiffer after than normal, but is oh so yummy, and still very workable.

Melvira Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 11:42pm
post #83 of 279

Oh man, I've been wanting to order some of the blood orange syrup! Now that you said it's *that* good, I HAVE to get some. I was just looking at my supplier's order sheet today and thinking it's time! I love finding awesome new flavors! I'm sold! thumbs_up.gif

Fullhouse, that looks like a good place to start. It sounds like doing half and half might not be a great idea though... I mean, only switching 6 oz. isn't a ton, but it might just be enough.

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 4:39am
post #84 of 279

I haven't read the whole thread but regarding the whites that say they aren't meant for meringues, I never have problems with the stuff I use but fresh whites are much better and the freeze well.

Melvira Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 1:54pm
post #85 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenbakescakes

You haven't tried anything until you have tried PEANUT BUTTER SMBC! Yummmmmmm......I'll go look up the recipe.

You are officially kicked out of this thread. icon_twisted.gif You are by far the WORST influence on me!! You are in serious trouble Missy!! Do you know how much trouble you're in? SERIOUS trouble! THAT'S how much trouble you're in! If you don't come remove what's LEFT of this PBSMBC from my fridge I will NEVER forgive you!! AHH!! I just added a hefty half cup to a double batch (1 c whites, 2 c. sugar, 6 sticks butter) of the SMBC recipe I posted earlier. I swear, I am going to choke someone for making me love this stuff. It isn't SAFE! icon_cry.gif I had finally gotten to where I could be around ABC without constantly 'testing' it. icon_redface.gif

Hmmm... I wonder if the taste of it has changed in the last 15 minutes. Maybe I should go check... icon_twisted.gif

The good news is, I made devil's food cuppies and sent some with hubby to his co-workers (they freak if it's been a while since their last treat) and am packaging the rest into 4's to give to all my wonderful neighbors who have given us buckets of free sweet corn. Seems like a good trade to me. But there is just enough icing left to... uh... NOTHING. DO NOTHING. I am not going to TOUCH it. icon_mad.gif (Lie much?)

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 3:26pm
post #86 of 279

Melissa... you are absolutely the most entertaining person on CC. (Doug runs a close second, mind you) I totally get a big kick out of your posts!

Now, I absolutely must try MBC for myself. (Been putting it off for too long!) LOL You make it sound sooooo good!

Melvira Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 5:33pm
post #87 of 279

Well, thank you! I will take that evaluation as an absolute fact!! thumbs_up.gif Besides after all the MBC I've eaten lately, I'm in no shape to chase you down! icon_lol.gif

FullHouse Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 5:56pm
post #88 of 279

Thanks for the laughs, Melvira!!!! Keep 'em coming, please icon_smile.gif.

Melvira Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 6:16pm
post #89 of 279

Ok, then let's discuss who else ALMOST got choked last night! I kid you not, I did everything the same as I always do... but apparently I must not have let the whites cool long enough. (Yah, a LITTLE excited about the peanut butter, sorry) So after about a half hour of my KA whipping them on med-high speed, I was livid! And I was having this horrible out of body experience because it was starting to slosh out of the bowl. The floor in front of the bakers table was soooo sticky. I won't even tell you how much was slopped down the back of the bowl that I didn't discover until after removing the bowl. But this stuff was not doing what it was supposed to and I was about to go postal! I mean, yah, wasted ingredients, blah blah blah, NO! I'm talking about going without the PB SMBC!! Who cares about a cup of egg whites and some sugar!? But, no FROSTING?? There are states that will put you in prison for what I'd do over something like that!! icon_surprised.gif So eventually they started to fluff up. (Hallelujah, hallelujah!! Can't you HEAR the angelic choir?) Fortunately I noticed it right before ripping the mixer apart and giving it the beating of a lifetime. No PBSMBC??? SOMEONE wil be punished. And the mixer was the closest, and most defenseless! And it can't divorce me for appearing mentally unstable while baking. icon_lol.gif

As I mentioned, it was starting to thicken, so I let it go and it eventually turned into icing. But when all was said and done, and all ingredients were added I had been mixing it for over an hour. That is not a joke. I love those recipes that say whip to stiff peak stage, about 8 minutes. Yah, and I wear a size 2 jeans! Whoops! Sorry about my nose poking your eye out!

But I was scared that *SOMEONE* who shall remain nameless (simply because I can't remember who it is...) had put a curse on me because they can't find liquid egg whites that don't say 'do not use for meringue'. Seriously, at one point I went and got the carton out of the fridge and went over the whole thing again looking to see if it said that now! icon_razz.gif Fortunately no.

Next time, 5 minutes more of patience with the ice bath (the eggs, not ME) and I won't have to flip out like that. Sooooo... anyone need anything from the fridge? No? Nobody? Jerks.

Melvira Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 5:04pm
post #90 of 279

FYI... SMBC + bittersweet chocolate = Flippin' evil!! icon_evil.gif

Thank GOODNESS it's for a customer so I can't eat it!!!! icon_cry.gif

But I am going to make more PBSMBC and some of the chocolate, then load the bag half an half and swirl it. Does that sound like heaven or what? On a Devil's Food cuppie with a peanut butter filling. Uuuuhhhhhh!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%