Pet Peeves On Cc

Lounge By cutthecake Updated 28 Nov 2010 , 7:07pm by KathysCC

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 12:45am
post #121 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakingpw

My CC pet peeve is reading "I'm not licensed, just a home baker." I feel all home bakers should be licensed and INSURED with a separate kitchen than is used for their family! If your county/State does not allow it (like mine) then lease an approved kitchen. And...it's not ok to not be licensed if you are "donating cakes" - people won't remember or care the cake was free if they get sick.

I happen to live in a state--OH-- with a Cottage Provider status for home bakers that allows for baking from a home kitchen as long as the items provided aren't perishable or require refrigeration.

I'm asked to donate cakes and cake certificates all the time and that's actually all I do--donate cakes, donate certificates for cakes, and make cakes for donations to charities and non-profits.

I carry a hefty (but relatively inexpensive) umbrella policy on my homeowner's insurance--just in case-- and I only provide shelf stable products.

Michigan's Cottage Provider bill was signed by the governor today.

It's up to each baker to understand the rules of their state and perhaps their county and city as well. In some states, it may be OK to bake at home, but in your county or city, zoning laws may make it illegal to run certain types of home businesses. It all has to be taken into account.

Rae

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 1:42am
post #122 of 351
Quote:
Quote:

One of my pet peeves is when there is a person giving tons of advice, but they have very few pictures posted and have been here for years. How can a person tell if they can trust your advice?
I love mostly everything on CC

One of the reasons it might be why they don't have lots of photos is because (and correct me if I am wrong) you give away the rights to that photo when you post it here. In other words CC can do with it what they want.

At least it is like that on other sites. I have never taken the time to read the terms of agreement here. For all I know I signed over my first born or something like that.

But there are several on here who do not have lots of photos and I hang on their every word. Lots of photos does not mean anything IMO.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 2:04am
post #123 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdiabetes

Quote:

My CC pet peeve is reading "I'm not licensed, just a home baker." I feel all home bakers should be licensed and INSURED with a separate kitchen than is used for their family! If your county/State does not allow it (like mine) then lease an approved kitchen. And...it's not ok to not be licensed if you are "donating cakes" - people won't remember or care the cake was free if they get sick.

What do you mean by "home baker"? I would consider myself a home baker, I do only cakes for family and friends and never charge for anything. I don't think that I would need to be licensed and insured but perhaps we have a different definition of home baker.

I think we're getting hung up on semantics. If you bake from home just for family and friends and don't get paid for it, unlicensed, all that, then I would consider you to be a hobby baker. I would consider a home baker to be someone that IS licensed and insured and gets paid for their cakes, but just does it from home and not a "commercial/store front" kitchen.

frankdiabetes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankdiabetes Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 2:23am
post #124 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

I think we're getting hung up on semantics. If you bake from home just for family and friends and don't get paid for it, unlicensed, all that, then I would consider you to be a hobby baker. I would consider a home baker to be someone that IS licensed and insured and gets paid for their cakes, but just does it from home and not a "commercial/store front" kitchen.

Ah yes. That makes sense. Indeed, by that definition, I am a hobby baker then. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 12:11pm
post #125 of 351

You know another pet peeve? People who try to turn a lighthearted thread into a heated debate.

icon_lol.gif

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 2:48pm
post #126 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdiabetes

Quote:

What do you mean by "home baker"? I would consider myself a home baker, I do only cakes for family and friends and never charge for anything. I don't think that I would need to be licensed and insured but perhaps we have a different definition of home baker.

frankdiabetes, I do what you do, I have never sold a cake, they are for friends and family and are gifts. I call myself a hobby baker/decorator.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:05pm
post #127 of 351

As far as the home baker thing, I think it is fair to let them know that in some states it is illegal to sell baked goods out of your home, same thing with the whole copyright topic. There are alot of people that just have no idea it isn't allowed.

I get it alot in my classes. "Oh I'm taking the classes cause I want to sell cakes." "Did you know you can't legally sell cakes out of your house here in Texas?" "It is?"

I think it, like everything else, should be done in a helpful manner. After that information is out there, it is up to the original poster to take it and do what they want with it. Do I think that 20 other people need to press the same issue in the same post? Nah, usually it over kill.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:36pm
post #128 of 351

When I started this thread a few days ago, I intended for it to be a light-hearted forum for venting about things that annoy us on Cake Central. ( I love this site; I appreciate all that the owners and moderators do to keep it running; and I truly value all the caking information I have gotten here.)

In one online dictionary, a pet peeve is defined as "a frequent subject of complaint". That's all I was looking for. I wasn't attempting to establish laws for posting; I wasn't trying to tell anyone else what to do; I wasn't looking to start arguments or debates; and I wasn't looking to insult or offend anyone.

To those of you who responded in the spirit of the original post, thanks.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:40pm
post #129 of 351

ooooo. the perfect picture from one of my favorite bloggers!

http://organizeddoodles.blogspot.com/2009/03/pet-peeves.html

FYI - be sure to click on the picture to see it full size.

then play the FIND EGGY GAME.

somewhere in the drawing, ala Hirschfield and how he hid his daughter's name, Nina, in his caricature's, Rick likes to hide Eggy.

He looks like a little egg with arms and legs.

sic 'em!

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:44pm
post #130 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I get it alot in my classes. "Oh I'm taking the classes cause I want to sell cakes." "Did you know you can't legally sell cakes out of your house here in Texas?" "It is?"

TexasSugar, my Wilton instructor got this out of the way in the first 5 minutes of the first class icon_smile.gif. She tells everyone who takes her classes that there is no home baking allowed in Colorado. She even has an anecdote about a former student who had an illegal business and was found out and shut down by the health department via her website.

luckylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckylibra Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 5:15pm
post #131 of 351

I love CC and everyone here has been so helpful and patient. I am a hobby baker, by previous definitions. I do not post often but when I have there have been plenty of helpful responses. (I quickly went back and posted a thank you to someone I PM'd who responded back and forth but I forgot to thank them once the cake was completed oops icon_redface.gif )

I have been able to search and find many answers, tons of tutorials and great people to share the love of cake decorating. I love the sarcasm sometimes used.. I must have sarcasm decoder as I think I hear you saying the phrases sometimes and it is hysterical. Pet Peeves, don't have any really.. just hope I have not made anyone's list for inadvertent posts or comments I have made. icon_smile.gif
Have a wonderful day and thank you for all you contribute to the rest of us as we attempt to improve our skills.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 5:26pm
post #132 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCakes1966

Ohhh....Now these are my 4 pet peeves:

1. When someone says, "I made IndyDebi's buttercream and it was a disaster. I followed the recipe exactly, except I used butter instead of Crisco and left out the Dream Whip. It totally melted off the cake! What went wrong?!?!?!?!"

This IS one of my biggest pet peeves icon_razz.gif on cc. AND re posting pictures of cakes that have already been posted.

That's funny Doug...thanks for sharing
thumbs_up.gif

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 5:59pm
post #133 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by kassie11

What annoys me the most are the posts that ask, "are you a scratch baker or a mix baker?" . Always starts an argument.

The other thing that drives me crazy is when people PM you and ask you how you did something and never bother to acknowledge your response. I have written lengthy tutorials/recipes in response to some PMs and never heard a word from the person again.

@Kassie11. I'm sending you a "how did you do..." PM and when you send me a response, I won't reply. LOL, I'm just kidding. That seems really rude.

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 6:25pm
post #134 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

ooooo. the perfect picture from one of my favorite bloggers!

http://organizeddoodles.blogspot.com/2009/03/pet-peeves.html

FYI - be sure to click on the picture to see it full size.

then play the FIND EGGY GAME.

somewhere in the drawing, ala Hirschfield and how he hid his daughter's name, Nina, in his caricature's, Rick likes to hide Eggy.

He looks like a little egg with arms and legs.

sic 'em!

I found Eggy!!!
thumbs_up.gif

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 10:12pm
post #135 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GCakes

Mine is that people post their pics with NO description whatsoever. Especially when it is something new or innovative, and they are happy to answer questions in the comments, but why not just state it in the description? If you KNOW someone is going to ask about something, and you don't mind telling....then TELL us!

Yeah, yeah yeah - me too!

MyDiwa Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 10:16pm
post #136 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Tubbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

My pet peeve is when Indydebi types "return" instead of "enter" twice in the same post. It makes me feel old because I know what she means. LMBO icon_biggrin.gif

For anyone else who gets this, watch this funny and VERY short video...

This had me cracking up I have tears running down my face!

MyDiwa Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 10:39pm
post #137 of 351
Quote:

My CC pet peeve is reading "I'm not licensed, just a home baker." I feel all home bakers should be licensed and INSURED with a separate kitchen than is used for their family! If your county/State does not allow it (like mine) then lease an approved kitchen. And...it's not ok to not be licensed if you are "donating cakes" - people won't remember or care the cake was free if they get sick.)

You're a peeve that's already been mentioned! And I'm amongst those you peeve, mostly because it's not said to be helpful, but to be mean and judgmental (at least that's how I read it).

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 10:42pm
post #138 of 351

My two big pet peeves are 1. when people post replies pretty much stating what the 5 people before them have said-because then I'm scrolling down reading the same thing being said different ways. It gets boring.

My 2nd and biggest pet peeve is when the more experienced CCers tear apart a newbie and treat them poorly-I remember seeing a post that was so bad I didn't come back to CC for about 8 months. I come here for cakes-the drama should be left off CC. I've noticed this with SOME (not all) pro cakers-they feel entitled to scoff at any newbie that needs a BC recipe or asks something...god forbid the ask it like a newbie. I was once a beginner and I didn't know terms, how to ask things, etc...we've all been there so we should all treat each other with respect-I believe if you aren't going to be helpful and nice-don't reply! Just move right along icon_smile.gif

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 10:51pm
post #139 of 351

my pp is probably one already mentioned. tons of views on a cake pic i've done and not a single comment. gee thanks. not tooting my own horn but i know my cakes aren't That bad lol.

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 12:29am
post #140 of 351

This is harsh I know, but people who have cake disasters that could have been prevented by the simple knowledge of how to properly stack a cake using either the dowel method or SPS. I read all of these Cake Disasters and I think to myself, wow that could have been prevented if you actually knew how to properly stack a cake.

Of course they are unfortunate accidents, but the really silly ones that say my cake fell and I have no idea what happened, well did you use proper supports? Uh what are supports? icon_rolleyes.gif

GenGen Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 1:38am
post #141 of 351

if you see the Winnie the poohbear cake i Think is in my photos- that was done early on in my cake decorating hobby and in another view of it- the back view shows the cake sinking due to the fact i had forgotten to put support under winnies "behind" lol. ah well though it didn't fall apart and was very appreciated by my niece at her 4th bday party icon_smile.gif

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:02am
post #142 of 351

Okay so I just want to say this:

1) I want to THANK people like IndyDebi, mamawrobin, TexasSugar, Khalstead, leah_s, Melvira, carmijok, catlharper and many others who graciously answer the same questions over and over and over again. When I first joined, I did not know what Indydebi's buttercream was but mamawrobin explained it again, and again and yet again. And each time I learned something. Thank you!

2) To all the cc members who do take the time to post suggestions on design, execution etc. I marvel when I see someone post a picture of what I think is a highly complicated cake design and ask for advice "for a cake due in a week". I usually think, um, no way is that going to happen. Then I see the finished cake and it is almost always beautiful!

3) The cake disaster posts I always read because while I am relatively new, someday that same situation may happen to me. One recent post told of a wedding cake where the bottom tier collapsed on transport. I still cannot believe how well she handled salvaging that cake and how beautiful it looked.

So I just wanted to say that while sometimes a post may really annoy you, your answers, advice, insight, is always educational to someone new like me. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:11am
post #143 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheriej

3) The cake disaster posts I always read because while I am relatively new, someday that same situation may happen to me. One recent post told of a wedding cake where the bottom tier collapsed on transport. I still cannot believe how well she handled salvaging that cake and how beautiful it looked.

So I just wanted to say that while sometimes a post may really annoy you, your answers, advice, insight, is always educational to someone new like me. icon_smile.gif

You don't hvae to be new to learn from these! I had this very thing happen to me a couple of years ago. The ONLY way I knew how to salvage it was because other people shared their disaster stories and I was able to benefit from the many replies of "next time try this ....."

GenGen Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:32am
post #144 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

You don't have to be new to learn from these! I had this very thing happen to me a couple of years ago. The ONLY way I knew how to salvage it was because other people shared their disaster stories and I was able to benefit from the many replies of "next time try this ....."

ok time to help pass on said learn widsom (grins) what happened debi? i like to hear about how problems get resolved too to help fix what May come my way too (knock on wood heh)

Jayde Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 4:29am
post #145 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenGen

if you see the Winnie the poohbear cake i Think is in my photos- that was done early on in my cake decorating hobby and in another view of it- the back view shows the cake sinking due to the fact i had forgotten to put support under winnies "behind" lol. ah well though it didn't fall apart and was very appreciated by my niece at her 4th bday party icon_smile.gif

First time cakers and I mean FIRST time are excused, but if something falls or sags try to find out why and fix the problem for next time. If you are going to sell your cakes however you have a business and researching how to properly stack a cake should be a top priority.

I equate it to those people on Food Network Challenge, they come with an overly ambitious design, never practice to see if it can be done in 8 hours, and then end up having to scrap half of the cake design because they run out of time.

Research! It doesnt matter how you do it, ask on CC, look up a tutorial, buy a SS DVD, but research what you are doing before you start selling your cakes.

<End Rant>

And its not a peeve but it breaks my heart that people who have taken all of the impowered, charge more for your cakes, threads and then they go out there and charge someone $4 a serving for something that is not of their skill level to do.

Then they post their photos saying that their customer wants a full refund and they dont know why. Hardly ever is it mentioned in those famous What to Charge threads that they should factor in their skill level into their price.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 5:47am
post #146 of 351
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

You don't have to be new to learn from these! I had this very thing happen to me a couple of years ago. The ONLY way I knew how to salvage it was because other people shared their disaster stories and I was able to benefit from the many replies of "next time try this ....."

ok time to help pass on said learn widsom (grins) what happened debi? i like to hear about how problems get resolved too to help fix what May come my way too (knock on wood heh)

Let me say up front, it's ok to laugh, but I never would have thought of removing the damaged bottom tier and setting up a 3 tier cake instead of a 4 tier. Too simple, I know, but I swear to high heaven I wouldn't have thought of it. The bottom tier was ok to cut and serve, and we did that tier in the kitchen....it just wasn't pretty enough to display. Bride and family were fine with it. I deducted $200 and they gave my staff a $200 tip for service above and beyond.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 6:01am
post #147 of 351

On several occasions I've answered structural questions like "what is SPS?" or "Do I need to use supports?", and then I notice that they joined in 2005!

Come on! Have they never happened across a thread in the past five years concerning this, or what happens when you don't use a support system?

Even if they haven't logged on within the past five years, you'd think they'd search a little first. I almost regret helping. Next time, I'm going to ask what have they learned since '05. (maybe.) tapedshut.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 6:09am
post #148 of 351

[quote="Jayde"]

Quote:

<End Rant>

And its not a peeve but it breaks my heart that people who have taken all of the impowered, charge more for your cakes, threads and then they go out there and charge someone $4 a serving for something that is not of their skill level to do.

Then they post their photos saying that their customer wants a full refund and they dont know why. Hardly ever is it mentioned in those famous What to Charge threads that they should factor in their skill level into their price.

Whenever I see these thread I ALWAYS chime in and say that the skill level and quality of work is VERY important and should be factored in when figuring the price. I agree it seems that this is never mentioned and honestly I've seen some cakes that I would have been highly po'd if I'd paid $4.00 a serving for, and I can certainly understand these customers demanding a refund on some these cakes.

Jayde Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 12:49pm
post #149 of 351

[quote="mamawrobin"][quote="Jayde"]

Quote:

Whenever I see these thread I ALWAYS chime in and say that the skill level and quality of work is VERY important and should be factored in when figuring the price. I agree it seems that this is never mentioned and honestly I've seen some cakes that I would have been highly po'd if I'd paid $4.00 a serving for, and I can certainly understand these customers demanding a refund on some these cakes.

I remember that thread that you started a little bit ago about this very same subject. I love to read posts, but rarely comment sometimes. I love the site, really I do, but sometimes when things get hot I disappear for awhile into lurker mode. I hate the scratch v mix fights and the are you legal? ones too.

Some people just like to argue for the sake of arguing and there is no way I am going to argue with someone who is already convinced themselves AND usually someone else that they are right and I am wrong. Not worth my time.

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 1:01pm
post #150 of 351

One of my biggest peeves (and this is mostly because this site is extremely helpful) is when someone posts a good description of their problem, like:

I can't get the icing on my cake smooth! It's full of air bubbles, I've tried smoothing it with Viva, as well as with the Melvira method, and I still can't get it smooth! I'm using IndyDebi's recipe, with a minor change (heavy whipping cream instead of milk). It's just a practice cake, so it's fine for now.

What can I do to avoid this problem in the future?

And someone replies with:

Have you tried the Viva or Melvira method?

GAH! Just read!

I just want to also point out that I've only had air bubble problems with that recipe once...and I think it was because I didn't beat the crap out of it. Ever since then, I try to let the mixer go for 5-10 minutes more after it's mixed, depending on my mood.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%