Lounge By cutthecake Updated 28 Nov 2010 , 7:07pm by KathysCC

MessMaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessMaker Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:01am
post #61 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Tubbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

My pet peeve is when Indydebi types "return" instead of "enter" twice in the same post. It makes me feel old because I know what she means. LMBO icon_biggrin.gif

For anyone else who gets this, watch this funny and VERY short video...

This is all too funny to me...LOL

ninjacaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninjacaker Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:03am
post #62 of 351

People who start the threads "I'm leaving CC because you all are mean and suck". God I hate that. Just leave already! No one WANTS to beg you to stay. Yeesh.

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 3:26am
post #63 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelle_75

- Whining about no comments on your photos

That's it! ^^^^

Vkandis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vkandis Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 3:26am
post #64 of 351

People who choose accuse someone of not following a recipe when diagnosing problems they may have with that recipe (thereby explaining why their problem occurred) when the original post clearly states they followed the recipe as directed. Really an example of a more general problem which is people not reading posts carefully enough and the responding to them based on what they think they said.

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 3:29am
post #65 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCakes1966

This isn't a pet peeve, but my eyes always cross when I read the posts that say, "I'm making my first wedding cake this weekend: 600 people, 5-tiers, carved and topsy-turvy, buttercream, fondant, figurines, drapes, string work, gum paste flowers...the works! I've never done any of that, so I need tutorials immediately!! I also need tutorials on how to stack a cake. Do I need to use supports? (It's 5 tiers.) Is that enough cake for 600 people? And also, does anyone have a recipe for wedding cake and buttercream?? Throw in a filling recipe while you're at it. It's Friday and the cake is due tomorrow...Is it too soon to start working on it?? Reply ASAP!!!!!!"

icon_eek.gificon_confused.gificon_surprised.gif

Too funny! Now this is comedy gold.

Vkandis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vkandis Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 3:40am
post #66 of 351

Another---that I can more effectively search (faster and better results) for threads on these forums using google than I can using the sites search function.

maddysmom2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maddysmom2007 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 4:16am
post #67 of 351

Yall are flippin hillarious!! : thumbs_up.gif

sweetbn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbn Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 4:25am
post #68 of 351

Totally agree with the search issue!

Just when you think you have discovered the answer through your search, click on the title of the thread and up comes this lovely message "Not found". Or no information or photos are generated at all. icon_confused.gif [/code]

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 4:57am
post #69 of 351

finally, i get to vent too!

1) if you think cake balls are mushy and gross, i'm sry, but yer doin it wrong ... use less binder!

2) you do NOT need inkscape for SCAL 2.0 ... and this may be just my opinion but MTC is NOT more user friendly than SCAL. neither are the bees knees, but you can do practically the same dang thing in either

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 5:06am
post #70 of 351

Pet Peeve?
sherrycanary62,
to save a thread to your hard drive, click File, Save Page As or if you just want the text, try Print Topic at the bottom of the page.

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 5:40am
post #71 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vkandis

People who choose accuse someone of not following a recipe when diagnosing problems they may have with that recipe (thereby explaining why their problem occurred) when the original post clearly states they followed the recipe as directed. Really an example of a more general problem which is people not reading posts carefully enough and the responding to them based on what they think they said.

Vkandis even though sometimes you build the clock to tell the time, you're usually right on target! thumbs_up.gificon_smile.gif

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 6:03am
post #72 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

No road rage. Just pet peeves.
Writing should be easy for the reader to read. If a poster asks a question that cannot be interpreted, he/she may not a get the correct answer, or even any answer at all.

Let's hear from all the teachers on CC!

i am a teacher...who can't spell, who would rather teach Spanish than English and really could care a less outside of a class room . But then again, this isn't my pet peeve. icon_rolleyes.gif

smitakasargod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smitakasargod Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 6:12am
post #73 of 351

What annoys me the most are the posts that ask, "are you a scratch baker or a mix baker?" . Always starts an argument.

The other thing that drives me crazy is when people PM you and ask you how you did something and never bother to acknowledge your response. I have written lengthy tutorials/recipes in response to some PMs and never heard a word from the person again.

MollyGirl_17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MollyGirl_17 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 6:14am
post #74 of 351

1) No description with pictures. Flavor? Filling? Colors? Technique? Quit waiting for people to ask (or beg you) in coments.

2) Grammer. We all make typos, but some of it is just laziness. And for pete's sake quit using 5 and 6 question marks and exclamation marks! Really people??? One is enough to get your point across!!!!!!! <--sarcasm

3) The way the most saved and recent photos come up. I end up not clicking to enlarge most of them just to avoid the hastle of it taking me back to the beginning and having to arrow over to where I left off.

Sunshine0063 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunshine0063 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 6:51am
post #75 of 351

[quote="SPCC"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

my biggest complaint is about the posts that have no punctuation no capitalization and undecipherable spelling sometimes im not sure what im reading because i cant figure it out if you get my meaning i know that everyone makes mistakes (grammatical spelling punctuation) but some posts are written in a way that makes reading them impossible

My biggest complaint also. By the way I thought it was so funny the way you emphasized that by leaving all of the punctuations, capitalization and apostrophes out of your pet peeve complaint.
Just in case anyone had a hard time reading it, I put the corrected version below.

My biggest complaint is about the posts that have no punctuation, no capitalization and undecipherable spelling. Sometimes I'm not sure what I'm reading because I can't figure it out, if you get my meaning. I know that everyone makes mistakes ( grammatical, spelling and punctuation ), but some posts are written in a way that makes reading them impossible.

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 6:51am
post #76 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyGirl_17

1)3) The way the most saved and recent photos come up. I end up not clicking to enlarge most of them just to avoid the hastle of it taking me back to the beginning and having to arrow over to where I left off.

That's why I always open the photos in a new tab.

I wish they'd just have a dedicated page for the daily favorite photos like they do for most recent photos (although that one isn't obvious either... I had to have someone point me to it*). It would save so many people so much frustration.

* In case you're looking for the newest photos pages, click on the "Galleries" link at the top of the page, and then on the "Last uploads" link just under the "CakeCentral.com Photo Gallery" title.

scorpio711 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scorpio711 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 6:53am
post #77 of 351

I also get peed off when no one answers a PM e-mail when I ahve taken time and trouble to answer there questions.
Also my biggest peeve at the moment is not being able to get hold of CakeCentral magazine over here I do wish some bright spark would come up with something.
I could get it from Global Art but have no credit card, and they only do Pay Pal in the States. Life sucks sometime, to all you peevers. greetings

pvcat2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pvcat2000 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 6:55am
post #78 of 351

To see the pictures and not have to go back to the beginning, right click then select open in new window. When you close that window, it takes you back to where you were.

smitakasargod Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 7:52am
post #79 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvcat2000

To see the pictures and not have to go back to the beginning, right click then select open in new window. When you close that window, it takes you back to where you were.

So true about the photos! I hate having to start at the beginning too. That is more a pet peeve with CC. My other CC pet peeve is not being able to favorite a person whose work I can follow (as on flickr).

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 8:36am
post #80 of 351

Text speak. Lack of punctuation, capitalization, paragraphs, etc. Yeah, the same stuff that's been mentioned and, which, unfortunately, seems rampant across the interwebs.
I understand that many members are not native English speakers on CC and that's all the more reason to take a few moments to write a legible post using at least 6th grade level grammar. I speak/read passable Spanish, but when it's being spoken or written with tons of slang, I'm clueless. The same applies for those who aren't perfectly fluent in English. Have a little consideration.

The scratch/mix debate. I don't even open the threads anymore because it always devolves into a fight. The levels some posters stoop to on this subject disgust me.

Posts that ask for advice on the surface but in reality just want justification for the decision the poster has already made. "I want to sell my home-baked cakes in (state that doesn't allow home bakers whatsoever)" is followed by 20 people saying "I'm sorry, but your state will not license you to bake out of your home, no exceptions." "Well, I'll charge $500 for the gumpaste flowers and throw in the cake for free!" "No, sorry, that's still not allowed." And it goes on and on with the original poster ignoring all advice given. Substitute home baking for tweaking a recipe, selling copyrighted images, or whatever they want to do but can't/shouldn't.

I know the search function isn't the best on CC. At least scan over the first page of posts before starting a new one. The other day I saw a new post asking the EXACT same question as the post two below it.

Sockpuppets. It's fairly obvious when someone creates a new screen name on CC just to make "smartypants" comments or cause drama. There's no need for that. If one doesn't want a post associated with their regular screen name, maybe it shouldn't be posted.
(Exception: business owner with an account tied to their business who wants to vent about an issue and not risk their professional reputation.)

Not so much "How much should I charge?" but....well, those that haven't done even rudimentary price research and have zero interest in figuring out how to price their goods. If you want to own a business, you have to act like a business owner, and that includes doing a lot of un-fun stuff like job costing and accounting. "The cake mix cost a buck, the powdered sugar cost $3, the butter cost $3, so charging $15 will give me a good profit, right?? What? I'm not going to sit down and figure out how much each egg costs and how much electricity I used and all that other stuff!"

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 11:50am
post #81 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

My pet peeve is when Indydebi types "return" instead of "enter" twice in the same post. It makes me feel old because I know what she means. LMBO icon_biggrin.gif

ROFLMAO!!! Oh, that is a good one!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCakes1966

This isn't a pet peeve, but my eyes always cross when I read the posts that say, "I'm making my first wedding cake this weekend: 600 people, 5-tiers, carved and topsy-turvy, buttercream, fondant, figurines, drapes, string work, gum paste flowers...the works! I've never done any of that, so I need tutorials immediately!! ......

Put this one on my list! Makes me want to ask, Have you even cracked an egg before??

Someone mentioned the Can I? question previously. Im out of green. Can I mix blue and yellow and make my own green? Are you asking for permission? Why CANT you? Just do it!" Its not the question that peeves me . Its the lack of initiative and the need for permission that peeves me!

I have not failed. I have found 10,000 ways that will not work. ---- Thomas Edison

And speaking of colors: Im out of blue. What can I mix together to make blue? Big sigh! Blue is a primary color. I think we learn that in 2nd grade. You cant MAKE blue . Or yellow . Or red. (Trying to get a specific shade of blue cornflower, Tiffany . is not the same thing as How do I make blue?)

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:31pm
post #82 of 351

OK...I agree with most of what's already here but have one of my own to add:

How about, "I've taken one Wilton class and now everyone is begging me to make them cakes. I know I'm not supposed to sell cakes, but how can I say NO?" icon_wink.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:42pm
post #83 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

OK...I agree with most of what's already here but have one of my own to add:

How about, "I've taken one Wilton class and now everyone is begging me to make them cakes. I know I'm not supposed to sell cakes, but how can I say NO?" icon_wink.gif

Oh! Oh! Oh! pick me! pick me!

I swear to god there was a thread in which someone said "I've just finished my first cake for my first wilton class and am so excited! What do I need to do next to open a bakery?" icon_eek.gif

You don't even want to know my list of "geesh I wish I could actually post this!" responses! icon_eek.gif

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 2:57pm
post #84 of 351
Quote:

2) Grammer.

Grammar--sorry, I couldn't resist!

Quote:

3) The way the most saved and recent photos come up. I end up not clicking to enlarge most of them just to avoid the hastle of it taking me back to the beginning and having to arrow over to where I left off.

If you right click over the photo and choose to open it in a new window, it keeps your place and you never need to start over scrolling from the beginning again.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 3:36pm
post #85 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Someone mentioned the ¡§Can I?¡¨ question previously. ¡§I¡¦m out of green. Can I mix blue and yellow and make my own green?¡¨ Are you asking for permission? ¡§Why CAN¡¦T you? Just do it!" It¡¦s not the question that peeves me ¡K. It¡¦s the lack of initiative and the need for ¡§permission¡¨ that peeves me!

I have not failed. I have found 10,000 ways that will not work. ---- Thomas Edison

I think with all the how to articles and books, all the youtube videos, and all the easy to access information that people don't just pull out cake/buttercream/fondant/gumpaste and just try it on their own.

I am all for searching for help if you need it, but I don¡¦t think it is a search for help when you post ¡§I need a tutorial for ABC¡¨ on the CC site. I get that some people have issues with the CC search but there is google and so many other search options out there.

We have to be willing to actually get our hands dirty and not depend on the internet so much that we can¡¦t add chocolate to our buttercream with out coming online to find out of it will work.

I seriously doubt the person that created the FBCT went online and asked ¡§do you think it will work if I do this¡¨? Instead my guess is they said, you know what I wonder what happens when I do this and tried it.

Don¡¦t get me wrong, I love tutorials and how to¡¦s. I love to see how people do things differently, but at the same time I know that there are times when you just have to pick up a rolling pin and some gumpaste and just see what happens.

It is a pet peeve of mine when people expect everyone to drop what they are doing and create a tutorial for something that they want to know or something that is relatively easy. I remember a specific post where someone wanted to know how someone did a cake. I gave a quick basic run down because it was a basic cake. But that wasn¡¦t enough for them. They wanted more details and pretty much seemed like they really expected someone to jump in the kitchen and make the cake, take pictures of the process and turn it in to a long written tutorial that day and we weren¡¦t really being helpful because we didn¡¦t do that for them.

Have on occasion taken some during the process pictures with the thoughts of maybe I¡¦ll turn it into a tutorial, but more so if I need to recreate the cake I have a photo of what shapes I used and so on. I don¡¦t think anyone should expect someone to make a tutorial of a certain flower or thing because ¡§oh my god your cake is awesome and I just have to know how you did it.¡¨ If someone makes a tutorial it should be on their own time, their own terms and because they truly want to share what they did. Not because it is being demanded of them. And of course if they don¡¦t have time to share, well they just aren¡¦t in the spirit of sharing and our deemed a bad CC member because how dare they post something and not give a full out, step by step complete with pictures how to and answer 200 pages of 10 questions that just repeated because other people can¡¦t be bothered to read the whole thread where they would already find the answer.

Oh yeah, Happy Monday everyone. º

grossoutqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grossoutqueen Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 3:38pm
post #86 of 351

I don't think I have any particular pet peeves about things people post/ask. I'm a firm believer of "The only stupid question is one that is not asked". Its how we all learn.

I will agree that I have a hard time with the search engine on CC. If I have a question that I think someone may have asked before, I will always try to search for it first but 99% of the time, I can't find a thing. I just get an endless list of posts that don't have anything to do with what I am looking for.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 3:40pm
post #87 of 351

TexasSugar -

Well said!

TexasSugar Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 4:13pm
post #88 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by grossoutqueen

I don't think I have any particular pet peeves about things people post/ask. I'm a firm believer of "The only stupid question is one that is not asked". Its how we all learn.

I will agree that I have a hard time with the search engine on CC. If I have a question that I think someone may have asked before, I will always try to search for it first but 99% of the time, I can't find a thing. I just get an endless list of posts that don't have anything to do with what I am looking for.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-687761.html

Check out this post for great tips on using the search feature here at CC.

As far as asking questions, I'm all for it, but when you have a thread on the same subject that asks a very close question on the same page as yours in the forum, it makes me wonder if people even looked for an answer before asking.

Using Debis example, in the time it took for them to come here and ask if they can mix yellow and blue to make green and then wait for an answer, they could have pulled out some butter cream and icing colors and tried it.

Same thing for the chocolate buttercream posts and so on

Trail and error seems to be a thing we are afraid to do any more.

I get questions will be repeated, over and over and over, because there are always new people coming to the boards. It is just the nature of message boards. I do pay attention the number of posts someone has. If they are newer to the board I tend to be more forgiving. But if you have hundreds of posts, I feel that at some point you had to see the same question you area asking posted before.

But when you seem to have the same people asking over and over how many people certain sizes of cakes will serve it makes you wonder why you posted the link to the guide any of their posts because they obviously wont use it. Or someone posts a question that is asked and answered just 5 posts down from theirs.

No I dont think people shouldnt ask questions. And no I dont think there are any stupid questions. I do think people should think before they ask questions. Sometimes the answer they need can be easily found. And sometimes if they would give more information we can actually answer their question with out playing 20 questions first.

My buttercream icing came out wonke, how do I fix it?

My cake sunk, what did I do wrong?

In both cases if they would have given more information before hitting the submit button they could have gotten a more useful answer sooner. Instead the first replies they will be getting will just be questions asked to try to even figure out where to begin with them.

TexasSugar Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 4:15pm
post #89 of 351

Sorry about the additional symbols in my first post, apparently I used some text in word when I was typing that up that didn't translate well. icon_sad.gif

smitakasargod Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 4:39pm
post #90 of 351

I'm reading these posts with great interest, just to figure out which of the things I do might irritate people. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%