Now I've Heard It All...wow!!

Lounge By hsmomma Updated 11 Jul 2010 , 1:40am by adonisthegreek1

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 9:54pm
post #1 of 106

I had a wedding planner contact me to inquire about the pricing on a cake for the end of July. I explained that I have limited availability as I already have a couple large wedding cakes to do. I would need more details to know if it is something I would have time to complete.
She emails back with the information...200 guests with a 300.00 budget max. I explain that even with kitchen cakes, I would be out of her brides budget and suggested she order through Walmart to stay within her budget. She emails back and asks if I would be willing to purchase all the necessary ingredients with food stamps the brother of the bride would provide!!! Then just charge for my time. Seriously!! Use somebody's food stamps to purchase wedding cake ingredients. I told her I wouldn't be involved and thanked her for inquiring. Then I get another email saying that she checked it out and it isn't illegal to do or immoral...so please consider it. I again said "no". I am a commercial business that orders my supplies through my vendors who deliver them to my store. But, even if I were a home baker...I can't imagine!!!
I can't believe the bride suggested it and the wedding planner went with it and asked me. Besides...they have the money for a wedding planner and not a cake????

105 replies
Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 9:58pm
post #2 of 106

OMG I just LOVE it that my tax dollars are buying (or trying to!) wedding cakes.

What kind of twit asks that? Geez...just when you think you have heard everything someone like this pops up.

I can see that the bride is a moron but what about this wedding planner? Seriously...(mod edited for content).

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 9:59pm
post #3 of 106

I had a similar inquiry a couple of years ago. I also said "no." The potential client did not understand why I could not accept food stamps for the finished wedding cake. After all, the local grocery would do it.

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 10:01pm
post #4 of 106

So she thinks it isn't immoral? Well, this tax payer thinks it is. Food stamps are to buy food so that people don't starve...it is not to pay for a party and that is what a wedding reception is ... a party.

zubia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zubia Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 10:08pm
post #5 of 106

I can't believe the bride suggested it and the wedding planner went with it and asked me. Besides...they have the money for a wedding planner and not a cake????[/quote]

Well may be the wedding planner is a relative icon_lol.gif

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 10:12pm
post #6 of 106

oh wow, that makes me want to dry heave. So wrong on so many levels...

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 10:12pm
post #7 of 106

A girl i know shops at one grocery store over another but it lets her purchase her RedBull with food stamps and the other one doesnt!

QueenJessica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenJessica Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 10:15pm
post #8 of 106

wow. that's all I can say.

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 10:20pm
post #9 of 106

Unbelievable! Yet there are some people who NEED help who can't get it because of dingbats like this! I love being behind someone in line using food stamps and then watch them climb into a Lexus! thumbsdown.gif

ArtsyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ArtsyLady Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 10:26pm
post #10 of 106

When I worked in my grocery store bakery I had people order cakes with food stamps all the time. I'm not saying it's horrible, I mean kids deserve a treat every now and then. But what always made me mad was when they ordered the most expensive frickin' cake we have. One lady came in and got THREE signature cakes (45 bucks a pop) on food stamps. For her three kids. Nice way to spend my hard earned money lady.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 10:26pm
post #11 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenJessica

wow. that's all I can say.

icon_surprised.gif that sumed it up for me.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 10:29pm
post #12 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelgirl

I love being behind someone in line using food stamps and then watch them climb into a Lexus! thumbsdown.gif

icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif THAT should not be happening. How can they "legally" do that ? icon_confused.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 10:38pm
post #13 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelgirl

I love being behind someone in line using food stamps and then watch them climb into a Lexus! thumbsdown.gif

icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif THAT should not be happening. How can they "legally" do that ? icon_confused.gif

Maybe it's not their car. Maybe they bought the car before their GM job got shipped to Mexico. Maybe their mom is making the payments because they are upside down on the car and they can't afford to sell it.

Almost 30 years ago, I was pregnant with my son and my husband was laid off. We qualified for WIC. I'm sure there were people who thought the same thing when I climbed into our 4x4 truck after coming out of the store with my free milk, cereal and peanut butter. We bought the truck when he was working. We were struggling to make the payments. Selling the truck would just pay it off and then I'd have to come up with another car somehow .... with no money.

Books ..... covers ..... can't judge that way.

I'm not lecturing. It's just that because of my personal experience, I tend not to look at cars and clothes like that.

But when I see $50 sets of nails on their hands, now THAT'S a different story! icon_twisted.gificon_rolleyes.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 10:42pm
post #14 of 106

This came up here on CC---about birthday cakes---a few years ago. It resulted in pretty heated debate that seemed to center on people's feelings about "deserving" a nice cake, no matter their life's circumstances.

I was a social worker in Baltimore in another life. I have VERY strong feelings about this.

IMHO, a wedding cake, or any other cake, for that matter, IS NOT A NECESSITY. Food stamps are for the NECESSITIES of life. They should be guarded and stretched in order to make sure that the family gets as much good, NUTRITIOUS food as is possible.

It makes me sick that grocery stores are PERMITTED to accept food stamps for crap like Red Bull and decorated cakes. I KNOW that was never the intent of the FS program.

As for illegality/immorality----in the case cited, unless that bride is part of her brother's family--the family unit comprised of members that were approved for and and are receiving the food stamps because they are low income or have foster children who qualify---he simpy CANNOT give those food stamps to anyone who is a "relative"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If my SIL is getting FS for herself, my BIL, and their son, she can't use them to pay for my son's birthday cake--that IS ILLEGAL AND IMMORAL.

It's terribly hard sometimes to accept the hard knocks in life...............

Rae

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 10:54pm
post #15 of 106

I was approached by a guy at the grocery store who asked if I would let him buy my groceries with his food stamps and then give him the cash! Um...No! It's a shame the system is set up where it can be abused like that, but I guess some people can find a way to take advantage of most anything.

cupcake_cutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake_cutie Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 10:57pm
post #16 of 106

Very good point Indebyi.

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 10:59pm
post #17 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise

OMG I just LOVE it that my tax dollars are buying (or trying to!) wedding cakes.

What kind of twit asks that? Geez...just when you think you have heard everything someone like this pops up.

I can see that the bride is a moron but what about this wedding planner? Seriously...what a fricktard.

Exactly! Those of us who work hard (me 2 jobs and a cake hobby) end up paying for things like this! I work in a hospital as an ultrasound tech and hate it when a women comes in for a pregnancy ultrasound and has MEDICAID stamped across her order...then proceeds to set her $300.oo Coach purse on the counter icon_mad.gif (sorry in advance to anyone I might have offended just now icon_wink.gif )

hsmomma Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 11:05pm
post #18 of 106

As the O.P. of this topic....I just wanted to add...that I am in no way judging about the food stamps. Some people desperately need them. As a taxpayer, I have no issue with people that are genuinely in need and are taking care of their family. I don't even care if they purchase "fun food" like cakes with it...everyone needs treats (and happiness) in their lives. Many people are in survival mode right now...so definitely no judgement. It could be any single one of us at any point in our lives.

I just couldn't believe that the wedding planner (not a relative, I have worked with her on other brides cakes before) suggested I take the food stamps to buy the ingredients and then just charge for my time. When I said it didn't feel right...then she asked again saying it wasn't immoral or illegal. Regardless of legality...as I don't know about that part. It seems wrong to accept food for a party cake when I know that benefit should be for the brothers children. KWIM?

I never had an inquiry like this before...glad I'm booked anyways.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 11:07pm
post #19 of 106

I'm guessing this could get REALLY ugly, REALLY fast. So maybe we should kinda set it down and walk away??

Most of you know I have opinions, and I'm not so afraid to share them for the most part. This subject is no exception, and trust me, probably half of you don't want to hear what I have to say on this subject. icon_rolleyes.gif I will say this, the sense of entitlement doesn't stop at food stamps.

hsmomma Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 11:16pm
post #20 of 106

Yep...I agree lets definitely not make it into a debate...
Just had to share my disbelief with my fellow "cake people".

kaciealexa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaciealexa Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 11:19pm
post #21 of 106

when i was 12, old enough to 'get it', my dad got hurt and couldn't work, so we went on food stamps for a couple of months.. i am here to tell you how grateful my parents were that the help was there, how embarrassed they were to have to pay with food stamps, BUT, how very, very careful they were to use the food stamps in such a way as to be a good steward of the taxpayers money. as a taxpayer now myself, i am grateful to live in a country that can take care it's needy, because i know that i too have benefited from it. BUT, lest i sound like a saint, i have to be honest, i do look at what they are buying, and silently passing judgment, good or bad, on what they are getting..

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 11:28pm
post #22 of 106

I would like to see the system come up to current times.

They need to have a type of debit card with a finger print. It would mean that only the person issued the card could use it, because the stores that are authorized to use the debit cards would have a finger print identification system also. Then the card would only be used for authorized items of necessity, (milk, bread, veggies, fruits, nutritional food).

That is just my opinion. If they need other items that are not covered, then they could apply for another type of card.

That is just my opinion.

ccalvin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccalvin Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 11:31pm
post #23 of 106

It is truly sad when you are given the opportunity to recieve a gift as of food stamps,free health care,low income housing,and now cell phones with unlimited everything,not to metion other benefits.
It is terrible how alot of people abuse it,I personally know people who have SRS help,and to be honest,I'm kinda jeleous.
I had worked in a grocery store bakery for four years,mostly because I really needed the health insurance,it wasn't fun at times,but it paid the bills and more importantly I had a baby and needed to be insured.I quit the bakery,after deciding for a year and a half that I was going to be my own boss and own a bakery.Its been alot work,but well worth it.Now I have to pay for my health insurance,not to mention other things,on top of a running overhead,and I havn't seen a paycheck since.
Back on the topic- customers (not to mention I worked at a high end grocery store) that wanted high end exspensive,over-the-top cakes and wedding cakes that took forever to order and right as there wanting to pay,they give me food stamps.And of course we did,im sure it would be a discrimination if we did'nt.I'm very passionate on this subject,thanks for listening,I had to get that off my chest.[/i]

Melvira Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 11:39pm
post #24 of 106

You know, it's weird, I didn't think Food Stamps could be used for that sort of thing. I know for a fact that you can't use them for 'take away' food from the WalMart food counter (whatever the heck it's called). I know because my sister gets them, and she's always ragging about not being able to get that stuff. Well, shucks, girlfriend. Why don't we let you use them on cigarettes and tequila while we're at it? Sorry to dampen your good time. icon_rolleyes.gif Someone shut me uuuup. Right noooooow.

indydebi Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 11:44pm
post #25 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Someone shut me uuuup. Right noooooow.

Now who's dumb enough to even THINK that's possible? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Melvira Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 11:47pm
post #26 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

Someone shut me uuuup. Right noooooow.

Now who's dumb enough to even THINK that's possible? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Buahahahahahaha! You are SO evil! And SO impossible to argue with because you have SUCH a valid point! From one outspoken broad to another, of course. icon_lol.gificon_wink.gif

ccalvin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccalvin Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 11:48pm
post #27 of 106

As in my last post,don't think I'm not for the system.It does need to be altered and defenitly watched a little more closely. I'am more than happy that it goes to people who do NEED it for the important necessitys.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 11:51pm
post #28 of 106

Well, back when i worked in the grocery store, Food stamps were coupons in $$ amounts, in all the people that came in while i worked there was only one lady that would tell her kids they had to wait for candy and such to see if she would have enough real money to buy them it (i really respected this woman she treated the fs help as i think it should be treated)

But the majority of people would come in or more likely send each child in with a one dollar stamp and they would buy a piece of nickle candy and go outside to give the parents all the change, when the parent got enough change they would come in and buy a pack of cigs(1.40 at the time) and a bottle of beer. There was nothing you could do about it. And yes it was an abuse of the system. I was so glad to see them go to a debt card in later years it was one of the best moves the system has made. Now if they can just get the drug dealers off the system maybe this state wouldn't be so broke.

indydebi Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 11:51pm
post #29 of 106
Quote:

You are SO evil!

Yes. Yes I am! icon_biggrin.gif

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 12:00am
post #30 of 106

I'm confused about how you can buy a bakery cake with food stamps, too. I know at my grocery store, there's a sign above the salad and wing bars that says you can't use food stamps to purchase prepared food. Well...a bakery cake is prepared food, so....what gives??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%