Now I've Heard It All...wow!!

Lounge By hsmomma Updated 11 Jul 2010 , 1:40am by adonisthegreek1

devorie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
devorie Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 12:07am
post #31 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by dldbrou

I would like to see the system come up to current times.

They need to have a type of debit card with a finger print..

Yeah, I'm with you, but you know that it would never happen. Privacy infringement blah, blah, blah.

I believe that as a society we need to help those that don't have food on their tables. But wedding cakes, seriously? And it's not immoral to boot? I think I'll hold back some of my taxes next year

icon_evil.gificon_mad.gificon_evil.gificon_biggrin.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 12:11am
post #32 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by devorie

I think I'll hold back some of my taxes next year

Hey, according to the newest wave of commercials I've seen, it's perfectly fine to skip out on your taxes. And then, when the government is trying to take everything you own, you just call this company and they will settle with the government for a FRACTION of what you owe. I almost threw something at the TV when I saw this commercial. Smug looking people standing in front of their million dollar house saying, "I owed the government 175 thousand dollars, and only had to pay twenty-five thousand!" *big disgusting smile that I'd like to smack off their faces* Meanwhile, middle america is overpaying and still getting taken to the cleaners to make up for these @ss clowns that don't think they should have to pay taxes.

Wow, didn't I already say I shouldn't be allowed to talk to human beings any more? I swear I really am a nice person... I just get irked so badly by this stuff.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 12:14am
post #33 of 106

I think the biggest slap was that she wanted to "buy the ingredients" for a professional business, I don't care of that business is being run from home or not.

The fact she thought she could twist your arm because you work from home is terrible. GRRR.

I won't even get started on the food-stamps-for-cake thing because then I won't ever shut up. haha.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 12:21am
post #34 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

...you just call this company and they will settle with the government for a FRACTION of what you owe.

To be fair, there's a difference between what you owe and what the govt SAYS you owe. Years and years ago, I was late mailing in my sales tax. Since it wasn't rec'd, the state IRS arbitrarily just decided that I owed them $800. Back then, 20+ years ago, I didn't even do $800 in total sales for the QUARTER, let alone owe sales tax of $800 for that MONTH!

It was easy to work out. I sent them a letter with the proper forms filled out and they revised the amount owed.

So in that case, I could have EASILY have said, "I owed the government $800 but ended up paying them just $32!" I just left out part of the story! icon_rolleyes.gif

So with estimated taxes due that are arbitrarily assigned by the IRS, plus late fees, plus penalties, plus whatever ..... a good tax attorney can get those waived and get the tax bill down to what it's SUPPOSE to be .... instead of what the gov't SAYS it is.

I mentioned to the lady at the state IRS, "your figure of $800 sure got my attention!" and she said, "That's what it's designed to do!" so they assign those extremely high numbers to scare the Be-Jesus out of you and to light a fire under your butt! thumbs_up.gif

Melvira Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 12:23am
post #35 of 106

Hey, that's really interesting Debi! I didn't know that. Ok, then I WON'T throw a soup can at my TV if that commercial comes back on! Hehehe. Of course, doing that would be stupid, since I'd just have to pay for a new TV. icon_rolleyes.gif

Kitagrl Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 12:25am
post #36 of 106
Quote:

Hey, that's really interesting Debi! I didn't know that. Ok, then I WON'T throw a soup can at my TV if that commercial comes back on! Hehehe. Of course, doing that would be stupid, since I'd just have to pay for a new TV. icon_rolleyes.gif

Maybe they'll take food stamps? icon_razz.gif You can find someone to loan you some I bet.

Melvira Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 12:33am
post #37 of 106

*SNORK* You're killing me Kitagrl!

kleenzac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kleenzac Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 12:34am
post #38 of 106

Excuse my Australian ignorance but this topic has really piqued my curiosity. What are food stamps? Is that like a welfare kind of thing?

In Australia if you are on benefits you get a certain amount of cash per fortnight (not a whole lot apparently). In return you must prove that you have applied for a certain amount of jobs that fortnight. No such thing as food stamps over here.

Do the food stamp people also get cash benefits? Over here we have a public health system where everybody has access to free health. I know that doesn't happen over there so what happens to the people on benefits over there? Do they get health cover too or just have to miss out?

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 12:34am
post #39 of 106

kitagirl~
She knows that I have a commercial kitchen as she has sat in my cake studio with other brides. It's not at my home either...not that it matters. But, yeah...I kinda felt like "Really? You would ask a business this?" One "professional" asking another professional to compromise...didn't seem real professional at all...

ladycakes85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladycakes85 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 12:37am
post #40 of 106

We have lots of food stamps paying for cakes in my grocery store too. And when they pre-pay and leave their receipt, you can't help but notice they bought the best quality of stuff, nothing generic, and mainly junk. and their balance is usually still around $400. I just don't get it.

One time a lady was inquiring about our ice cream cakes. She wondered if they had that crunchy caramel layer like the DQ cakes have. I said no, they had actual pieces of cake between layers. She said 'Darn. I wanted to use my food stamps, but he really wants that cake.'

Another time a lady ordered a cupcake tree. She asked several times if food stamps would cover it since it came with a styrofoam cupcake stand which obviously, wasn't food.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 12:42am
post #41 of 106
Quote:
Quote:

In Australia if you are on benefits you get a certain amount of cash per fortnight (not a whole lot apparently). In return you must prove that you have applied for a certain amount of jobs that fortnight.

Ahhhh, if only that were the case over here. I have no problem with people who need assistance getting it.....but I do have a problem with them being able to ride the system.

On the topic though, I think less of the "wedding planner" who actually agreed with asking the question to begin with! I'm not a wedding planner, but even if I were I can't imagine myself asking that[/quote]

Melvira Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 12:54am
post #42 of 106

Speaking of riding the system, or whatever people prefer to call it... I'm so excited to see that the Obama administration is making efforts to stop payments to all the dead people. Something like 80 million last year was paid out to dead people. AWE-to-the-SOME! Now why don't the people who cashed those checks go to jail?

Kitagrl Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 12:56am
post #43 of 106

hs...I'm sorry...I thought you said something about a home kitchen. That's even worse! I can't believe she'd try to "pay" you for supplies. Like you'd walk in with food stamps anyway...right.

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 12:58am
post #44 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleenzac

Excuse my Australian ignorance but this topic has really piqued my curiosity. What are food stamps? Is that like a welfare kind of thing?

In Australia if you are on benefits you get a certain amount of cash per fortnight (not a whole lot apparently). In return you must prove that you have applied for a certain amount of jobs that fortnight. No such thing as food stamps over here.

Do the food stamp people also get cash benefits? Over here we have a public health system where everybody has access to free health. I know that doesn't happen over there so what happens to the people on benefits over there? Do they get health cover too or just have to miss out?

I'm in Canada and its the same here. You have to prove you've applied for jobs every two weeks or you'll end up being cutting off. We have food vouchers also but they're mostly issued on emergency basis. Some are for a certain amount towards groceries only, but many of them say what they are for, baby formula, diapers, milk & bread etc. Those vouchers can't be used for anything else. We also have access to free medical as do the people that are on welfare as long as they have a valid address. I would think folks on welfare in the US would have access to medical too?

indydebi Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 12:58am
post #45 of 106
Quote:

Speaking of riding the system, or whatever people prefer to call it... I'm so excited to see that the Obama administration is making efforts to stop payments to all the dead people. Something like 80 million last year was paid out to dead people. AWE-to-the-SOME! Now why don't the people who cashed those checks go to jail?

My sister who passed away two years of blood cancer, was on Medicaid because she spent the last few months in a nursing home (at the age of 43). A few months after her death, our sister who was our deceased sister's guardian, rec'd a letter saying that the deceased sister had been declined for Medicaid "..... but she can file an appeal at the address below."

yeah .... we'll forward that right on to her!

Melvira Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:11am
post #46 of 106

Yah, I've seen someone that received a letter saying they were denied for coverage because they were dead. If their circumstances should change, please send info to blah, blah, blah. Ugh. icon_rolleyes.gif Nothing like a little tact to warm up your day...

kimmisue2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmisue2009 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:16am
post #47 of 106
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devorie

I think I'll hold back some of my taxes next year

@ss clowns

heehehhheheheheheee - you said a@@ clowns

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:19am
post #48 of 106

I didn't grow up in the US and where I come from, well, let's just say the welfare needs welfare! Having been raised in a family that struggled a lot, it always surprises me, even after so many years living here now, how much entitlement people have and what their priorities are. DH always says, you could do a lot of things that you don't do simply because you choose to do other things - if you chose not to pay rent or buy decent food for the family, you could totally buy a Fendi bag!

I think it actually just doesn't occur to people that there are REAL people that pay real money and that's where their food stamps come from. It also doesn't occur to them that because of what they do, the system is too loaded to take care of folks that actually really do need taking care of. There's no self-accountability, let alone accountability to someone else! And just to be clear, I'm talking about the people who abuse the system, not the people whose circumstances are real, like Indy's.

Kitagrl Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:22am
post #49 of 106

Our church has a small food closet with dry and canned goods. A lady came by asking for money, and my husband told her we had no money but we had a food closet if she was hungry. She took a look and turned up her nose saying "Ehhh I thought you guys would have some chicken or steak or something. No thanks." And left.

Geez. There are way too many "poor" in this country, who are taking up all the resources away from those who are truly "poor".

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:23am
post #50 of 106

Unemployment is for people who were laid off their job. They have to show proof of actively seeking employment. A friend of mine has sent out over 200 resumes and has had 5 interviews over the past year.

Food stamps are available for people that have below a certain income level.

So some have one, the other, or both, of the types of assistance.

(Very simplistic explanation from a nonexpert.)

MyDiwa Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:27am
post #51 of 106

When I got laid off, I knew I didn't want to look for another job because I decided to take some time off and be with my baby. Soooo many people kept telling me I should be claiming unemployment anyway - "that's what it's there for", ummm actually not!

Kitagrl Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:30am
post #52 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDiwa

When I got laid off, I knew I didn't want to look for another job because I decided to take some time off and be with my baby. Soooo many people kept telling me I should be claiming unemployment anyway - "that's what it's there for", ummm actually not!

Wow, kudos to you!!!!

We had times we could have taken assistance as well too. But we were making it without. If worst came to worst obviously we may have had to, and it is supposed to be there for EMERGENCIES...but thankfully we made it through and didn't need to apply.

I wish that the dishonest ones would just save all the funding for those truly down and out, like the handicapped and elderly and those hard working folks down on their luck for awhile.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:31am
post #53 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Our church has a small food closet with dry and canned goods. A lady came by asking for money, and my husband told her we had no money but we had a food closet if she was hungry. She took a look and turned up her nose saying "Ehhh I thought you guys would have some chicken or steak or something. No thanks." And left.

Geez. There are way too many "poor" in this country, who are taking up all the resources away from those who are truly "poor".

icon_confused.gif That's horrible! Apparently she wasn't THAT hungry, or she would have gladly taken whatever you had!

This reminds me of when my DH's sister got married earlier this year. They had to get their cake from a specific bakery b/c they were the only ones who would take something called "Trade Dollars". I had never even heard of anything like that, but it basically amounts to monopoly money or something. Of course, they had very limited choices as to what their cake could be, since they weren't using real money to pay for it. It's not food stamps though, I really don't know exactly what they are, but that was the weirdest thing I'd ever heard of!

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:31am
post #54 of 106

I'm not even going to get into the whole buying a cake with food stamps thing or abusing the system debate.

What I really want to know is: how in the world is someone who needs to use food stamps to get a wedding cake able to afford a wedding planner??? icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

MyDiwa Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:33am
post #55 of 106
Quote:

I wish that the dishonest ones would just save all the funding for those truly down and out, like the handicapped and elderly and those hard working folks down on their luck for awhile.

Maybe the government wouldn't be so overstretched and would be able to do what other governments do like provide free healthcare and better maternity/paternity leave benefits. Not to say that's the only reason the gov't is in the red.

ladycakes85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladycakes85 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:34am
post #56 of 106

About that feeding the poor comment...

Our local mission comes in our store each day to pick up the one day outdated products to serve at the shelter. Well, lately they have gotten very picky. To the point where they will even call in and see what we have to offer them and they have turned it down in some cases. They ask everytime if we have any cheesecakes or pastry cakes. One of the ladies that does the pick-up asks for her favorite item because we're just sure she takes it on home with her. She flat out said she wanted a sugar free pie because she was diabetic and it was her favorite.
That just really irks me. There is plenty of good food to be given, yet they want to be picky about it? When the director of the mission program came into our store to throw a fit, our bakery manager simply told him that we already give them more than we are supposed to. Apparently there is a list of acceptable items to donate, but because my boss feels bad about it being thrown out, she lets my coworkers go ahead and package it up. She told them that if they throw a fit to the store manager, they will be lucky to find themselves having much of anything at all.
I've never personally had to eat at a mission, but in my mind i've certainly never imagined them lining up for slices of cheesecake! (not that they don't deserve a treat)

MyDiwa Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:36am
post #57 of 106

Reminds me of the muffin top episode of Seinfeld!

Kitagrl Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:37am
post #58 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDiwa

Quote:

Maybe the government wouldn't be so overstretched and would be able to do what other governments do like provide free healthcare and better maternity/paternity leave benefits. Not to say that's the only reason the gov't is in the red.

India actually has a wonderful out-of-pocket medical system. People just go to the dr, pay reasonable and affordable prices out of pocket, and go home. No government involvement, and the prices have not skyrocketed because each person cares for his own medical care, instead of pooling the money (ultimately, in the grand scheme) to pay for all the other people. And I won't mention illegals and health care or then I'd get in trouble for the politics discussion thing. haha.

Anyway I have a friend who is here (legally) from India and she loves their health care system. Its very straightforward, easy, and affordable for most of the country except maybe the dirt poor...and if that were our country, there would be plenty of voluntary charities to help those cases.

Kitagrl Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:39am
post #59 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladycakes85

About that feeding the poor comment...

Our local mission comes in our store each day to pick up the one day outdated products to serve at the shelter. Well, lately they have gotten very picky. To the point where they will even call in and see what we have to offer them and they have turned it down in some cases. They ask everytime if we have any cheesecakes or pastry cakes. One of the ladies that does the pick-up asks for her favorite item because we're just sure she takes it on home with her. She flat out said she wanted a sugar free pie because she was diabetic and it was her favorite.
That just really irks me. There is plenty of good food to be given, yet they want to be picky about it? When the director of the mission program came into our store to throw a fit, our bakery manager simply told him that we already give them more than we are supposed to. Apparently there is a list of acceptable items to donate, but because my boss feels bad about it being thrown out, she lets my coworkers go ahead and package it up. She told them that if they throw a fit to the store manager, they will be lucky to find themselves having much of anything at all.
I've never personally had to eat at a mission, but in my mind i've certainly never imagined them lining up for slices of cheesecake! (not that they don't deserve a treat)

Geez!!!!! That's terrible! Come on, if people are truly hungry.... *sigh*

I feel sorry for the kids, though, who DO end up suffering because adults are selfish and make bad decisions.

I have a sister in law who lived on welfare for years with her bazillion kids (who she no longer has in custody) and truly, for those used to the system, they get ALOT.

indydebi Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:41am
post #60 of 106
Quote:

When hubby worked in the Service Dept of the dealership, he was right next to the car rental company that had an office in the Cadillac dealership. (People who brought their cars in for repair would rent a car for the day and/or get a free rental, depending on the repair or the warranty). One lady was being given a practically brand new Buick as her rental and she was b*tchin' because she DESERVED a Cadillac! I wanted to cheer and shout when hubby told me the car rental agent looked this woman in the eye and said, "Madam, there are children in this city who will go without food today, and you're complaining because a brand new Buick isn't good enough for you." And he stared her down until she had the decency to look embarrassed. As hubby tells the story, it actually took her a few seconds for that to sink in, too.

B*tch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%