Sifting Seriously Sucks

Decorating By kger Updated 7 Feb 2011 , 6:11am by WhiskMeAwayCakes

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:14pm
post #31 of 92

I hate sifting but I always do it. I was in a hurry once and didn't...big regret. I've used the mesh strainer but mine wasn't big enough so I went to the crank handle. It's ok. I may have to get a bigger mesh strainer. The best part is that hubby voluntarily started taking over the sifting for me. I put everything in and he sifts. I really don't deserve him. icon_lol.gif

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:34pm
post #32 of 92

Melvira, is this the battery powered sifter you tried? It's gotten pretty good reviews and I've been considering ordering it but if it sucks, then I don't want to waste my money.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JWLO6I/?tag=cakecentral-20

Thanks

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:35pm
post #33 of 92

Tracy, I've got to get up there to meet you AND your husband!

Kay, if you get a medium mesh like 7yyrt said you shouldn't have to use "more force". I think that maybe the mesh that you're using is too fine.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:40pm
post #34 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

Melvira, is this the battery powered sifter you tried? It's gotten pretty good reviews and I've been considering ordering it but if it sucks, then I don't want to waste my money.

Thanks

GAR-BAGE. That looks exactly like the one I had. Like I said, if you are just sifting a little PS on top of a bundt cake, SURE, works great. Actually sifting to bake?? Start in October for the Christmas cake. thumbsdown.gif

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 4:19pm
post #35 of 92

I am SOOO glad that I am not the only one who lives in sifter hell. My son BEGGED me to buy him a sifter. I did. It just kept getting clogged up and 'holding' the PS. and cake mix wouldnt go through it for love or money.

I do have the mesh strainers, but mine might be too fine. they are more fine than a screen on a window. We have used them for PS- but it makes a HUGE mess and we just stopped. of course, it makes a much larger mess when its an 11 year old doing it... LOL

sillywabbitz Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 4:28pm
post #36 of 92

Ok thanks Melvira, I'll just skip it thenicon_smile.gif

chanielisalevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanielisalevy Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 4:35pm
post #37 of 92

I have an electic sifter imported from Israel. Plug in, add 3 lb of flour or whatever, cover, and WALK AWAY! In a couple of minutes the work is done, pour onto wax paper and like a funnel pour into container or into mixer. It was about $100 but WORTH EVERY PENNY! It's like hiring an extra hand just to do the dreade sifting. I bought it in a local specialty housewares store. I'll try to get the name and address for anyone interested in getting one. I skipped right over all of your sifting woes! Electric is the way to go!

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 5:59pm
post #38 of 92

I use the WASC cakes and I was wondering how different the texture turns out when you sift the dry ingredients?

Melvira Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 6:19pm
post #39 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanielisalevy

I have an electic sifter imported from Israel. Plug in, add 3 lb of flour or whatever, cover, and WALK AWAY! In a couple of minutes the work is done, pour onto wax paper and like a funnel pour into container or into mixer. It was about $100 but WORTH EVERY PENNY! It's like hiring an extra hand just to do the dreade sifting. I bought it in a local specialty housewares store. I'll try to get the name and address for anyone interested in getting one. I skipped right over all of your sifting woes! Electric is the way to go!

That is exactly what I'm looking for! Where did you get it?

Actually my perfect ides is a cupboard mounted one that holds like a 30-50 pound bag and then dispenses it. They have them, but so far the only ones I can find are antique replicas (not old, just made to LOOK like the old ones) for restoring old farmhouses and baker's tables and they say they are not approved for actual food use. WTH?? Then why make them? Can't they MAKE them food safe? Ya know, so they can be used for the purpose they were intended??

sadiemae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiemae Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 6:23pm
post #40 of 92

What is a WASC cake?
Also, looking forward to the info concerning the sifter imported from Israel.

SadieMae

awatterson Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 6:24pm
post #41 of 92
sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 7:54pm
post #42 of 92

My frosting uses two pounds of sugar so I purchase powdered sugar in two or four pound bags. If the bags have never been opened you don't need to sift. It's once you open the bag and have left over sugar and then decide to use it you will need to sift. I have a sifter with a little wooden handle and it turns instead of the trigger. I have both and boy the trigger sifter will give you arthritis. LOL.

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 8:54pm
post #43 of 92

Awatterson -

Is this the sifter you are talking about?

http://www.appliancehut.com/details.asp?productid=846

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 8:55pm
post #44 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettreat101

My frosting uses two pounds of sugar so I purchase powdered sugar in two or four pound bags. If the bags have never been opened you don't need to sift.

I would agree that you dont' HAVE to sift, but man, it makes a BIG difference in the texture of the icing and the cake when you do! I sift all of them. Always.

I'm in the column with those who say it takes just seconds to sift with the handled strainer pictured above.

Melvira Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 9:50pm
post #45 of 92

You know, for some reason I never sift my cake ingredients. I am going to try it and see what I think. In what way does it change the texture? Does it make it lighter? I'm curious now, and I wonder why I don't do it.

regymusic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
regymusic Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 9:53pm
post #46 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

Thanks

I use the Norpro battery operated sifter and overall I love it. However, on a scale of 1 to 10, I would give it a 5 or 6 - I would give manual sifting a -3.

If you try to fill the Norpro with your ingredient to be sifted, the weight of the ingredient prevents it from vibrating and it will take a couple of years to sift. But if you add about a cup at a time, it takes about 3 seconds to sift. My daughter, who does most of my baking was ready to quit until I purchased her one. So for me, in my final assessment of the Norpro, while it has its short comings, it kept my baker and therefore rates a 10!

sillywabbitz Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 10:08pm
post #47 of 92

Thanks for the info Regymusicicon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 10:17pm
post #48 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

You know, for some reason I never sift my cake ingredients. I am going to try it and see what I think. In what way does it change the texture? Does it make it lighter? I'm curious now, and I wonder why I don't do it.

A BEAUTIFUL textured cake!! Not as many airholes (because we've sifted out those big lumps that drop in the batter and make "tunnels" in the cake!); texture is nice and tight.

Absolutely a beautiful looking cake that only a caker can appreciate!

Do it once ... you'll be hooked for life.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 10:25pm
post #49 of 92

When I was a little girl I would help my grannie bake. She was a sifter, or should I say I was THE SIFTER. She had this torture device that held about 1 cup of flour and she'd hand it to me and tell me to sift what seemed to be a 40 pound mountain of flour.

Not only did she want it sifted ONCE--I had to sift it twice. The second time I would sift in the baking powder, salt, etc.

ACK!

I loved my grannie dearly, but for years because of her blasted sifting fetish I took stupid short cuts with my baking. When I finally came back into the fold of sensiblity I grabbed the biggest screen strainer I could find and a big ole bowl and shake, shake, shake.. SMILE!

For whatever reason I still have my grannie's sifter. I should probably give it to my mother-in-law icon_evil.gif

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 10:32pm
post #50 of 92

Sifting is essential in my opinion. By sifting ingredients, be it a box mix or a scratch recipe, we are aerating them making for an altogether lighter cake. If when making a scratch recipe we sift the flour along with baking powder and salt, we can also be more certain that the ingredients are fairly well mixed together before adding them to the butter/sugar/eggs or whatever.
Having said that, I agree that sifting is a pain. I use a metal sieve like the one in the picture and find that, for me, pushing flour or icing sugar through with a spoon is quicker than shaking it. I end up getting less on the work surface too. I am going to try the salad tossing movement though!

Melvira Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 10:49pm
post #51 of 92

OK GREAT, now I have to bake a cake tonight just to try it out! hahaha. Do you guys sift for things like cookies, too? I just never bother to. I sift icing sugar, but nothing else really. I'm a bad girl. But I'm SO good at it! Hahaha.

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 10:52pm
post #52 of 92

I didn't realize how many people hate sifting ( that doesn't sound like a word, do is?)anyway, I don't mind shifting. I also use a big mesh shifter like in the photo that is on this post. In the type of piping that I do, I have to sift the PS a few times then run it threw a stocking. That's what I HATE the most. In that same breath I do have to say that it sure makes the RI smooth smooth. kansaslaura I love that comment on giving your old shifter to your mother in law. I should get one of those Ikea one's for my mother in law icon_twisted.gif

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 11:13pm
post #53 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

OK GREAT, now I have to bake a cake tonight just to try it out! hahaha. Do you guys sift for things like cookies, too? I just never bother to. I sift icing sugar, but nothing else really. I'm a bad girl. But I'm SO good at it! Hahaha.

I always sift icing sugar, and always sift flour. Not only cos of the aerating thing but, and you can call me paranoid if you like, I hate the thought that there might be some little insect in the flour that ends up in my cake icon_eek.gif Bugs love flour.

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 11:38am
post #54 of 92

Alright, you guys have convinced me. Here's a question, though. In Home Ec (back when there dinosaurs), we were taught to sift the flour first, and THEN measure the sifted flour. Is that how you all do it? You don't measure first and then sift, do you? I want to hear the consensus on this.

And, I was going by what I'd read on here: if the bag of 10x sugar wasn't opened, you didn't have to sift. Is that wrong? I've not sifted the unopened bags, and had no problem. I have been sifting the opened bags, though.

indydebi Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 12:42pm
post #55 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayMc

Alright, you guys have convinced me. Here's a question, though. In Home Ec (back when there dinosaurs), we were taught to sift the flour first, and THEN measure the sifted flour. Is that how you all do it? You don't measure first and then sift, do you? I want to hear the consensus on this.

And, I was going by what I'd read on here: if the bag of 10x sugar wasn't opened, you didn't have to sift. Is that wrong? I've not sifted the unopened bags, and had no problem. I have been sifting the opened bags, though.

On the flour issue, it depended on how the recipe was written. If it called for "1 cup, sifted", then you'd measure a cup of flour, then take that one cup and sift it.

Whereas "1 sifted cup" is you sift the flour, then carefully measure one cup out of the pile of sifted flour.

I either posted it in this thread or another thread ..... no, you don't HAVE to sift the p.sugar ... opened or unopened. I sift it because it just makes a better product.

You don't HAVE to put primer on your walls when you paint. But it sure makes a nicer looking wall when you do.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 1:39pm
post #56 of 92

I feel like a dinosaur here. I'm still using a hand crank sifter after all these years. It's what I learned to bake with (Thanks, mom! (she was a home ec major in college)). I don't find it problematic except when I need to do large cakes and am double batching.

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 1:53pm
post #57 of 92

I've decided that I need bigger bowls and a larger mesh strainer!!

And for all of us who agree that it sucks: http://www.bakelove.com/sifthappens_t-shirt_brown.html

Enjoy! icon_wink.gif

sillywabbitz Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:10pm
post #58 of 92

emrldsky, I LOVE that t-shirt. I have a very large mesh strainer/bowl thing that is almost too big for my largest mixing bowl but the sifting goes pretty quickly. It has a larger mesh than most so it's probably not a super fine sift, but I can live with thaticon_wink.gif

awatterson Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 8:15pm
post #59 of 92

I got a bigger strainer because mine was a fine mesh and that made it super hard to sift. I made a cake and sifted the ingredients. It took about 5 seconds. It made a great textured cake. I will continue to sift the ingredients from now on. I sifted the PS for the buttercream. It took FOREVER to sift with the same strainer. What am I doing wrong?

Melvira Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 12:40am
post #60 of 92

Is it very humid where you are? I know when it's humid, the sugar sticks together more than flour. I HATE sifting PS. thumbsdown.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%