Duff Cake Mix...seriously????

Decorating By momma28 Updated 11 Jul 2013 , 8:13pm by laurenp33

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 17 May 2010 , 1:44am
post #61 of 155

My Michael's finally got some of the Duff Stuff. Finally. I asked them a month ago when they planned on getting it and they said it should be in that next week! Sure. The aisle was actually quite empty looking and they're supposed to get more shipments in tomorrow, so I'm going back then to check it out.

I did find something quite interesting though. He's got cake wires. They're already curved, so you just have to stick on whatever fondant deco or dangle that you want. I read the package, it even says "just insert directly into your cake!", though it doesn't say "food safe". Doesn't say it's food unsafe, but not safe either. What do you guys think of that?

I haven't ventured into that realm of decorating yet because I didn't want to hassle with straws, dipping in chocolate, etc. But if you can stick his wires directly into cake, then I might be trying something new!!! I wonder if you can reshape them though???

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 17 May 2010 , 1:58am
post #62 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bannette

The fondant is Fondarific (my fav!) There is another thread where a rep from Fondarific actually commented and confirmed that it is actually Fondarific. Which I think is well worth the price. So it is prob the only Duff product I would buy and only if I am out.

To be honest I am jealous. Why? Because I really think I can do cakes as good as his BUT I am not getting paid like he is (I read somewhere that he won't do a cake for less than $1000) and I'm sure not as famous as him. I am afraid that I would probably cash in too. After all it is a business and even if it's all marketing it seems to be working for him.

I am sure there are people who will buy it just for the name (we all have our vices). Think about it. There are people that will pay the price for the cake mix once just to try it. I've been guilty for buying something just because of who's name was on the package or who endorsed it.

I guess I have mixed feelings. Looking at him as a "bakery" it seems to be good business but from as a "cake artist" it could be viewed as selling out. Surely they did market research so ultimatley there must be a market for his products somewhere.

I still think I will stick to my from scratch cakes. It sure doesn't take much to get all us "cake people" to get stirred up (PUN intended!)

If the fondant is from fondarific, then who is really the maker of the cake mix?

It sounds like this is one of those license agreements like you see for fashion clothing or perfurme, etc.

But knowing it is fondarific, I think I'll take one of those 40% off coupons and try it before I buy the real fondarific.

buttercreamkisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercreamkisses Posted 17 May 2010 , 2:15am
post #63 of 155

I thought Duff used Satin Ice-I remember an episode where they had to borrow some Satin Ice from a different local baker b/c their shipment had not come in. If he uses Satin Ice on the show why is his Duff fondant something else?

I thought I might try the fondant-I've always used MMF before. I did buy some of his silver spray. It's for a cake that I'm working on right now. I'm excited to see if it works like I want it to.

AXOCutie143 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AXOCutie143 Posted 17 May 2010 , 2:20am
post #64 of 155

I have a 50% off coupon for this week, so I may buy a tub the fondant to test out, especially if it's actually Fondarific. As for the rest of the stuff, besides the cheap impression mats and maybe the spray, I probably won't be buying any of his stuff. The cake mixes are such a joke, I saw them and just laughed.

candycakes2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candycakes2010 Posted 17 May 2010 , 2:48am
post #65 of 155

My tub of Duff fondant says "Satin Ice" on it !!! You cannot blame the guy for marketing his name and trying to utilize all the work he has done over the last few years....wouldn't you ??? We all know that these shows have their life span and they will sunset...why not market his name any way he can..it makes perfect buisness sense....I know if I were in his shoes, I would do the same....Emeril, Martha, Rachel, Cindy Crawford,...etc etc have all made a nice penny off of their celebrity staus...if there is a market for it...go for it.

Lelka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lelka Posted 17 May 2010 , 3:34am
post #66 of 155

I thought Satin Ice is coming out with Buttercream flavor?

QueenMo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenMo Posted 17 May 2010 , 3:54am
post #67 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I say we all take the pledge not to buy this stuff.

i'm in too.
Duff cake mix? icon_confused.gif I would buy betty crocker over it, and that's saying something!

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 17 May 2010 , 4:36am
post #68 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by candycakes2010

My tub of Duff fondant says "" on it !!!

Where on the tub does it say Satin Ice? I looked over and over and did not see it anywhere. I saw a company name on it but not Satin Ice.

Sandy C.

Kenfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kenfections Posted 17 May 2010 , 4:54am
post #69 of 155

Good for Duff for bringing attention to the cake decorating industry to where he has but this is basically the most ridiculous marketing play imaginable. Now throw a celebrity's name and mug shot on the stuff and charge more than double for half the amount of product and you have the new Duff line of products. Complete rip off. If Michaels ever hopes to turn their inventory, the price point needs to come down, coupon or not. 8$ for a box of cake mix that requires the same amount of added ingredients as good ol Betty Crocker's? This whole thing ranks up there in the annals of Ralph Lauren Polo Brand Paint at $45 a gallon.

candycakes2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candycakes2010 Posted 17 May 2010 , 11:44am
post #70 of 155

Ralph Lauren is very expensive...but people are buying it....just like all the other Celebrities...you pay more for their name...All the baseball, football, basketball etc. jerseys are probably made in China but you pay more for the team that is doing better than the others...and people buy into it.. People will buy the Duff products because it has his name on it..

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 17 May 2010 , 12:51pm
post #71 of 155

I can't believe how much you're saying a box of cake mix is. I can get 3-4 boxes (depending on sale) of mix at the grocery store for that price. and you all say it's dry? Wow. The more I read about things like this, the more I really want to start a new website about things being worth what they cost.

dinascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinascakes Posted 17 May 2010 , 1:19pm
post #72 of 155

I don't know why he would be selling HIS OWN fondant when on the show he promotes Satin Ice as the best one around and buys it in bulk! Not sure, but I think he also buys the buttercream in bulk. And those prices are just crazy!! I don't buy the cake mix at the store unless its on sale (buy 1 get 1 free) or at Walmart where they are less than $1.00.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 17 May 2010 , 1:30pm
post #73 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I say we all take the pledge not to buy this stuff.

Ummmm......why???

If you don't want to pay the prices, I understand that, but why do we need to make this a collective effort to boycott his products? He has every right to market and sell a product.

Seems like there's a lot of Duff-hatin' going on here and I guess I just don't get it.

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 17 May 2010 , 1:39pm
post #75 of 155

Part of the reason better cake decorators cannot command the prices that Duff does, is that he is a unique personality, and therefore a good "branding opportunity".

He's funky. He's interesting. And he surrounds himself with interesting people in his bakery. (I much prefer watching the happy antics at Charm City Cakes over watching the cast of "Cake Boss" yell at each other.)

Yes, his items are overpriced. And I doubt that the professional cake decorating community is his "target market". He knows we know the price of things, and will seek the professional-level vendors that he himself uses.

But there IS a growing market for off-the-shelf point-of-purchase cake decorating materials for moms who want to make their child one birthday cake a year.

Wilton has traditionally dominated that arena, but they cast their lot with buttercream, and did not initially develop a GOOD line of fondant-focused products. Duff (or his handlers) see an opportunity there, to provide a true alternative to the Wilton line. More power to him, and I hope he does well. (No, I am not personally going to buy his stuff unless I'm in a pinch and cannot wait for an Internet purchase.)

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 17 May 2010 , 1:47pm
post #76 of 155
Quote:
Quote:

We read that some think Duff's fondant is Satin Ice, while others have said it could be Fondarific. Since we've posted numerous times about being avid users of Fondarific, we figured, "Let's take a coupon and purchase some and see if it takes like what we have." When we got to Michaels, we said, "NO WAY!"

The fondant was being sold for $19.99 BEFORE the discount for only 2 pounds----$10/lb of fondant. I don't think so! Even with the coupon, it would have still put it over the regular purchase price.

I think we'll stick with buying what we normally use.

Paul

I agree with the pricing. I had a coupon and still wont pay that much either! I was going to buy the black just to have some on hand if it was cheap with the coupon, but it was still to expensive. I did get one of the impression mat sets and the Jewel tones color set both with coupons. I did really like the color. I used the turquise on a purse cake and it really colored dark fast. I mixed a little with vodka and airbrushed the cake with it too to give it texture and it turned out great.

It is quite expensive, but I dont see a reason for everyone to not buy just because it is Duff.

glow0369 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glow0369 Posted 17 May 2010 , 1:47pm
post #77 of 155

i agree with newsmanmom...

AXOCutie143 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AXOCutie143 Posted 17 May 2010 , 1:58pm
post #78 of 155

I totally agree with newsmansmom, I just thought it was hilarious that he was selling boxed cake mixes when one of the biggest complaints I hear about Charm City Cakes is how their cakes taste icon_smile.gif

I didn't see the jewel tone color set, that may be worth checking out.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 17 May 2010 , 2:07pm
post #79 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCakes1966

....But they were totally "remodeling" their baking aisle to make room for it, so it's obvious they are going to push it heavily and expect it to sell well. I can't imagine Wilton is excited about this.... tapedshut.gif

They are not redoing the cake aisle just for the Duff stuff. Every year at this time they re arrange the cake section and bring in new products. Wilton has new products coming out as well. This year they did a bigger flop flop than they have in the past, but it happens every May/June.

cakesalone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesalone Posted 17 May 2010 , 3:18pm
post #80 of 155

I am reading all of this thread, and what sticks out most to me is...50% off Michael's coupon! How can I get 1 of those? LOL! Sorry, just a show of my cheapskatedness.
As for the new Duff products, "it is just a phase and this too shall pass."

KKristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKristy Posted 17 May 2010 , 3:31pm
post #81 of 155

well, I did purchase (with coupon) some of the buttercream fondant ( my kids wanted to see what it tasted like), not bad...but of course way over priced. Mine did not have any company name on it except for Gartner.

I don't blame Duff ( I would take the money and run if I could too) ...I actually think this is a good idea. It will help us out, in a way. When regular people see how expensive decent fondant is (sorry Wilton), then maybe they will have a better grip on why our fondant covered cakes cost what they do. In the past, when customers have gone into Michaels, all they have seen is the 5.99 box of wilton fondant and wondered why fondant covered cakes cost so much...they don't know the difference between wilton and Massa or Choco-Pan. And when they do purchase Duff's fondant and find out that it is not as easy to work with as the shows make it seem, then they might understand a little more about what we do to get a cake smooth and beautiful.
Just my two cents...

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 17 May 2010 , 3:36pm
post #82 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesalone

I am reading all of this thread, and what sticks out most to me is...50% off Michael's coupon! How can I get 1 of those? LOL! Sorry, just a show of my cheapskatedness.
As for the new Duff products, "it is just a phase and this too shall pass."

cakesalone I get coupons in the Michaels flyer, but the flyers don't always show up cause of the paper boys forever quiting, icon_rolleyes.gif so I signed up online at michaels dot com and get the flyers and coupons sent. Just print out the ones you want and go shopping! icon_biggrin.gif

Ivy383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivy383 Posted 17 May 2010 , 3:39pm
post #83 of 155

I posted yesterday that I wanted to buy the gels. I should have explained that I am going to buy the DUFF GOLDMAN VARIETY PACK-5 FL OZ COLOR GEL-PASTE, not the regular small bottle gels.
LL

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 17 May 2010 , 3:45pm
post #84 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesalone

Go to Michaels website and sign up for their newsletter.

Also the past few weeks when you purchase something there is a 40% or 50% off coupon that prints off after your receipt that is good for the next week.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 17 May 2010 , 3:45pm
post #85 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyfull4444

cakesalone I get coupons in the Michaels flyer, but the flyers don't always show up cause of the paper boys forever quiting, icon_rolleyes.gif so I signed up online at michaels dot com and get the flyers and coupons sent. Just print out the ones you want and go shopping! icon_biggrin.gif

Is there something special you have to do when you sign up? I've signed up three times and STILL don't get the e-mail coupons like I used to. I don't know what's happened. I have a login, profile and everything but still no coupons. I've e-mailed them a couple times with no response. icon_cry.gif

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 17 May 2010 , 3:48pm
post #86 of 155

Maybe they are going to your "spam" box?

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 17 May 2010 , 3:50pm
post #87 of 155

I just purchased the duff gel colors about a month ago through decopac. I love the tubes. they are so neat to use. The colors are so vibrant i really like them. The gumpaste accessaries offered through decopac are so dissapointing. the pieces are really small. and nothing I can't create easier on my own.

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 17 May 2010 , 3:55pm
post #88 of 155

I bought a couple of his impression mats, but haven't used them yet. I used a coupon, too, lol. Perfect time to try something new, right?

I wouldn't buy the cake mix/fondant either...too expensive and I'm very pleased with what I use now. I'd love to try the gel colors...may pick up some of those soon.

I agree with a few others who've posted...more power to him if he can work his mojo on marketing his own line of products (no matter WHO actually makes them). Many others have done it. Either people are willing to pay the price, or they're not. Not my concern. I'll keep doing what I do, give a few of the products a try and decide if they're worth the price to me, and go from there. I'm actually glad to have more options. It's frustrating to have to order so much on-line...I'd pay more, or hunt down a coupon, if I could get more locally.

impala Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
impala Posted 17 May 2010 , 4:12pm
post #89 of 155

I also think I am going to try the impression mats for now other than that not to impressed.

RozMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RozMarie Posted 17 May 2010 , 4:40pm
post #90 of 155

Don't know if anyone else has seen it, but Duff's Charm City Cakes website has an announcement about the line of products in Mary Alice's "blog." From reading it, it sounds like they are definitely appealing to the home baker and those who are so "inspired" by their show to try their hand at decorating. (Gotta admit, watching the Food Network cake shows for the past few years is what got me started.)

It also mentions that the products are supposed to be what Charm City Cakes would actually use in their shop. There's food for thought...

Anyway, I don't plan to spend that much money on his products either unless, like others have said, I'm in a real pinch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%