Duff Cake Mix...seriously????

Decorating By momma28 Updated 11 Jul 2013 , 8:13pm by laurenp33

sillyoldpoohbear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillyoldpoohbear Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 1:09pm
post #151 of 155

Bel Anne you've hit the nail on the head Duff is after all a character & that's what they're marketing. They don't care what it tastes like as long as his mug sells it. Let's face it face Disney & co have been doing it for years.

I used to like Duff but have never been wowed by him. His employees make all the great cakes & he takes all the praise.

When he did his UK show he bought all his ingredients from Asda ( owned by walmart) The majority of his ingredients were Smart Price which is the stores cheapest economy brand! Which gives you an idea to the kind of baker he really is.

PTDixieGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PTDixieGal Posted 21 May 2013 , 6:42am
post #152 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyoldpoohbear 

When he did his UK show he bought all his ingredients from Asda ( owned by walmart) The majority of his ingredients were Smart Price which is the stores cheapest economy brand! Which gives you an idea to the kind of baker he really is.

Some people can't taste the difference between the store brand and the name brand. I can't, but my sister, on the other hand, can. So when in doubt, I go for the name brand.

As for the Duff cake mixes...I'm all for choices but his stuff is overpriced. Plus, some of these mixes I'll bet I can find grandma's recipe and (in the long run) make more cakes for less. Now if someone asks me to make a cake for them and get it to them in, oh, I don't know...three days might be a good example...then I'll get the cake mix. But most likely it'll be Duncan Hines, Pillsbury, or Betty Crocker and not Duff.

PTDixieGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PTDixieGal Posted 30 May 2013 , 8:27pm
post #153 of 155

I might add, too, that I have tried the Duff cake mix-someone gave me a box. I DID get a moist cake out of it (it was the "Zebra" cake) but that was because I used a trick that my aunt passed on to me (use 1/2 c butter instead of oil), but again I would not use the stuff on a regular basis.

mommietee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommietee Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 1:37am
post #154 of 155

AI have purchased duff's cake mix and his fondant, it is the same price as Wilton and it taste so much better. I use the cake mix all the time my family and friends love it.

laurenp33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurenp33 Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 8:13pm
post #155 of 155

AI absolutely LOVE this cake mix!!! Everytime I make a cake using this mix, i get nothing but compliments about how moist and delicious it is!!! I change up the recipe a bit because I did trial and error and found what makes them yummy and moist!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%