Duff Cake Mix...seriously????

Decorating By momma28 Updated 11 Jul 2013 , 8:13pm by laurenp33

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 15 May 2010 , 8:09am
post #31 of 155

LOL, Deb! You ALWAYS seem to crack me up!

I look at it from this perspective: Whether culinary school or on-the-job trained or home hobbyists, we're far more qualified than the average joe-schmoe who "thinks" they can just whip up a better cake than any of us. Perhaps after seeing prices at the grocery stores and "trying" the products mentioned above, people will begin to understand WHY we charge what we charge for our cakes. Maybe this is the wake-up call that's needed for people to realize that cake decorating is more than just throwing items together and "whipping up" a cake.

Paul

kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 15 May 2010 , 11:38am
post #32 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I can practically hear the narrative now. The gunshot rings out in the air, the gates are raised and THEY'RE OFF! Scratch Cake Sally taking a big lead, followed close by Box Mix Betty with Duff Stuff closing in fast! Walmart Willy seems to have noticed a butterfly fluttering about and is having trouble staying on the track. They round the first turn .... Box Mix working to get ahead but Scratch Cake Sally still holding the lead. Duff Stuff is gaining but uh oh! ..... he's falling back, his momentum not holding up .... and the winner is .... the winner is .......!

(Tune in next week folks for the continuing saga of Scratch vs. Mix vs. Duff Stuff!)

ok ok .... it's 3:30 in the morning and I have my hotel reports all done and there is pretty much NOTHING to do right now! Humor me as I entertain myself! icon_redface.gificon_biggrin.gif

icon_lol.gif ROFL icon_lol.gif That's the funniest thing I've read in a long time! HA!

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 16 May 2010 , 1:59am
post #33 of 155

Thanks for the giggles indydeb....that was hilarious!!! icon_biggrin.gif

smitakasargod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smitakasargod Posted 16 May 2010 , 2:17am
post #34 of 155

I thought Satin Ice was expensive...until I saw duff fondant in Michaels. Now Satin ice seems like such a bargain icon_razz.gif
8$ cake mix? Let's not even go there icon_wink.gif

iownajane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iownajane Posted 16 May 2010 , 2:22am
post #35 of 155

Seriously wouldn't buy it.......against my "scratch" religion.....
He/the show is entertaining,just like "Cake Boss"..but when you see several people doing what you do yourself alone...well...So many people on here do such gorgeous cakes..way more detailed and intricate..
mine don't spin/spew/smoke or whatever,but the biggest compliments I get are "my god it was good!" and " it was gorgeous!"
My biggest fear is that somebody doesn't like the taste of the cake!!

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 16 May 2010 , 2:33am
post #36 of 155

well I guess my Michael's is behind. stopped in today & the cake aisle is not fully stocked like usual and they're moving things around. no Duff items though (kinda curious just to see it). the checker said they were getting in new "celebration" items?

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 16 May 2010 , 2:45am
post #37 of 155

Michael's in Hickory, NC has gotten in quite a bit of Duff supplies. My biggest surprise was that he has impression sheets. A package of 2 for $4.99 and with a 40% coupon, quite a deal. But I wasn't impressed with his tools. I have been carefully buying equipment that is ergonomically correct or really comfortable in my hand and his definitely aren't either one.

They did have the fondant, cake mix, etc. But even with a coupon, they cost a little more. Seems like I read somewhere that his fondant was actually Satin Ice. Anyone else know?

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 16 May 2010 , 3:04am
post #38 of 155

Im still laughing, Debbie your a trip! And you have such a way with words! I really want to put your article about why wedding cakes are so expensive on my website.

I was telling my husband today about the line and how much more money it was. He said that whoever was doing the marketing was crazy to think that marking up the products THAT much just because his name is on it was crazy. Like he said if it was like $1 more than he could see people buying it over Wilton but to jack up the price so much.

Oh well, Im sure he will burn his popularity away like they did with Emeril, etc. There is just so many times you can hear Bam! and I dont know what they put in your water, but mine isnt flavored. Yah, its cute for a while but after a while it gets old.

But I have to say I like the commercial with Buddy doing water ballet!! I think that is too funny! Anyone know when Amazing Cakes will come back?

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 16 May 2010 , 3:12am
post #39 of 155

I think it's marketed towards those who want to "rub elbows" with the famous. Think of the social points some will get for making a "real" Ace of Cakes cake. The problem is making sure it's easy enough so those people can make a decent cake, but a little hard to accomplish-otherwise no social points for you! LOL If it's too hard for the average consumer to use or it tastes bad, it won't be around long.

I did buy the red buttercream fondant with a coupon. As I said when word first went around about this, it's a chance for me to buy commercial fondant for 40% off. After the coupon, it was a buck and a half cheaper for 2 lbs. than I can get it for at my local cake supply store. I did not see any silver spray. I looked at the packaging for the wire and I didn't see any mention of food safety but it does say to just stick them in the cake (no straws/coffee stirrers mentioned). I looked at the fondant smoother, turned around, grabbed the Wilton one from the other side of aisle, and compared them. They look like the exact same thing for the exact same price so I don't know what the point of that is.

Mary Alice and Geoff attended a local home and garden show here a couple or so months ago. I couldn't believe the inane questions from the audience and I thought I'd scream if they handed the microphone to one more kid asking a question that had already been asked by three other kids. Those people are their market and, like I said above, as long as it's not too hard and tastes good, they'll rake in the bucks until his popularity wanes. He's trying to "strike while the iron is hot" and I can't blame him for that.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 16 May 2010 , 3:35am
post #40 of 155

I also noticed the fondant smother is identical to Wilton. I wonder how much like Wilton his tips are.

Sandy C

luv2cook721 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cook721 Posted 16 May 2010 , 4:52am
post #41 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by gscout73

I also noticed the fondant smother is identical to Wilton. I wonder how much like Wilton his tips are.

Sandy C

I went by Michael's today and took a look at his stuff. His tips actually look like they would be more resistant to being bent than the wilton's ones. Overall, though, everything looked overpriced for what it was. You are paying for the name. His line will attract fans of the show who are "cake muggles" (whoever coined that one deserves a high five icon_wink.gif)

3LittleBeesCookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3LittleBeesCookies Posted 16 May 2010 , 5:03am
post #42 of 155

I agree, kassie! After reading the thread late last night, I had to check out Michael's today. There were quite a bit of Duff Stuff in my local Michael's. I had heard the cake mix was $8 and I was thinking that maybe it cost so much because it was for a huge cake. I read the box and it only makes a 9x13 or 2 "double layer 8 inch rounds." Whaaaaaaat? With a good sale at the grocery store, you can get 8 boxes of cake mix for 8 bucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kassie11

I thought was expensive...until I saw duff fondant in Michaels. Now seems like such a bargain icon_razz.gif
8$ cake mix? Let's not even go there icon_wink.gif

smitakasargod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smitakasargod Posted 16 May 2010 , 5:07am
post #43 of 155

Cake muggles!! lol

Bannette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bannette Posted 16 May 2010 , 6:04am
post #44 of 155

The fondant is Fondarific (my fav!) There is another thread where a rep from Fondarific actually commented and confirmed that it is actually Fondarific. Which I think is well worth the price. So it is prob the only Duff product I would buy and only if I am out.

To be honest I am jealous. Why? Because I really think I can do cakes as good as his BUT I am not getting paid like he is (I read somewhere that he won't do a cake for less than $1000) and I'm sure not as famous as him. I am afraid that I would probably cash in too. After all it is a business and even if it's all marketing it seems to be working for him.

I am sure there are people who will buy it just for the name (we all have our vices). Think about it. There are people that will pay the price for the cake mix once just to try it. I've been guilty for buying something just because of who's name was on the package or who endorsed it.

I guess I have mixed feelings. Looking at him as a "bakery" it seems to be good business but from as a "cake artist" it could be viewed as selling out. Surely they did market research so ultimatley there must be a market for his products somewhere.

I still think I will stick to my from scratch cakes. It sure doesn't take much to get all us "cake people" to get stirred up (PUN intended!)

Butterpatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterpatty Posted 16 May 2010 , 7:01am
post #45 of 155

Pre-made fondant is kinda expensive around here (about $16 for a 2 lb bucket of Satin Ice colors, a little less for white or ivory), so with a 40% or 50% off coupon I think I might try the fondant.

However, I about fell out of my chair when you guys posted the boxed mix price! When I told my husband the price, he said, "well, are they wearing masks?" When I asked why, he said that they needed to because they were robbers at that price icon_lol.gificon_rolleyes.gif .

The Michael's in my area was just clearing several isles last week to get ready for the new stuff. He said the Head Honchos are pretty excited about the new stuff coming out.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 16 May 2010 , 10:50am
post #46 of 155

I gotta think that Wilton is pretty pi$$ed about the whole situation. Up until now you could only buy their products at Michaels. Now they are in competition with Duff and the Celebration brand (or is that also Wilton? Sorry couldn't remember).

Ivy383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivy383 Posted 16 May 2010 , 1:40pm
post #47 of 155

I actualluy saw a demonstration were they used his gel colors on fondant. I loved how the black color worked. I am not sure about the other stuff, but I will def be buying his gel colors. icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 May 2010 , 1:46pm
post #48 of 155

How are they different from Americolor gel colors which are most excellent, BTW?

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 16 May 2010 , 2:14pm
post #49 of 155

I can't imagine them being any better than Americolor, and I'd much rather give my money to them icon_wink.gif

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 16 May 2010 , 2:42pm
post #50 of 155

I don't understand the negativity... I'm sure Duff isn't the person pricing the products....there was just a business opportunity available, so why not jump on it?

And I don't think buying a specific cake mix or some fondant makes anyone a spectacular cake decorator - no matter whose name is on it. I guess some people may think that way, but buying a Betty Crocker cake mix doesn't make me Betty Crocker.... and buying anything from Martha Stewart doesn't make me Martha Stewart. I would hope that Duff at least tried the products out before putting his name on them.... that's the only reason I might be interested in trying the stuff.....hoping that he had endorsed it as a good product. It does sound a little over-priced, but maybe it really is good stuff? Guess we'll have to wait for reviews from those who do buy it.

By the way, I have tasted one of his cakes and I thought it was fine. Wasn't the best thing in the world I've ever tasted...but that also could be b/c I didn't get a real "slice". It was the Lebowski Festival cake (the one of the big toe) ... there was no one to cut the cake after it was presented...people waited around for about 10 minutes and then started just grabbing cake with their hands (disgusting, I know - but no one wanted to wait forever for the bowling alley to get their act together and no one wanted to miss out on trying the cake). Well I did get some (cut it with a fork - not my hands) and I thought it was pretty good. Definitely not dry - it was soaked in a ton of alcohol if you watched the show!

I also went to an event that Geoff attended - at a University, no less....and the questions from the audience were stupid....I can't believe how many girls asked him if he was dating anyone or if their friend could come up and give him a hug....it made me embarrassed for our local University (although it was open to the public - maybe those weren't University students - fingers crossed). Geoff was great about it all though - I really enjoyed hearing him talk and meeting him during the autograph signing.

Ivy383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivy383 Posted 16 May 2010 , 2:47pm
post #51 of 155

I use americolor gels and they work well. I have no problem with them. However I think the black gel in the duff product line works better. (the other colors are nice too) icon_smile.gif

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 16 May 2010 , 5:50pm
post #52 of 155

I posted earlieer on this thread...and was talking to the hubby about this, and I think he is def. not a dumb cookie LOL...I am sure someone thought about this an approached him and he jumped on it as an opportunity. I know myself my buttercream recipe (my own) my customers love. If I had some big wig approach me and said I will give you 2 million dollars for the recipe I would say, do you have a pen and paper...LOL I think with all the cake shows now and that cake is such an "it" thing...that people (cake muggles LOL) really probably think with one wilton class, and duff stuff that presto! they will be ace of cakes! I will say I am going to be guilty of going to get the fondant now, when I have a coupon. I am a sole satin ice user, but have been wanted to try fonderific just to see what the hype is all about....I also was doing some online shopping for some impression mats, and cutters and found that he also sells premade gumpaste pieces, flowers,name plaque and wire in a kit for about $15.00 so you can replicate one of his cakes icon_cry.gif Like I said thanks anyway with that stuff, and especially the $8.00 box mix...I wouldn't pay that that is craziness people...nothing can be that good..unless they are a box of chocolate truffles for $8.00

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 16 May 2010 , 6:15pm
post #53 of 155

I'm glad to see an honest thread about Duff and his cakes. While the show is entertaining, I think we can all agree his cakes are only for looks. Who wants to pick through the 1" deep fondant, styrafoam and pvc to get a crumb of cake? Duff is entertaining and hilarious, but he's a little crazy if he thinks people will pay $8 for a cake mix!

DebbyJG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbyJG Posted 16 May 2010 , 7:43pm
post #54 of 155

I was at Michael's the other day and did pick up a box and take a look. I'm seriously, devoutly, religiously anti-hydrogenated oil, so when I do see a "big name" cake mix, I like to take a look to see if they've managed to come up with a box mix with real ingredients. So far, I haven't seen one. It looks like the Duff cake mix is the exact same chemical formula as in all the grocery store boxes, including hydrogenated oil and aluminum. So nope, I won't be buying it.

I saw a Paula Deen box mix the other day (at Walgreen's, no less!) that was about $4 a box. It too was full of the same chemical sludge. So far, the only non-hydrogenated/non-aluminum cake mixes I've found have been in the organic aisle or stores. And I haven't found one that tastes better than badly baked whole wheat bread. (Not really the texture and taste I'm looking for in a cake!) icon_wink.gif

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 16 May 2010 , 10:49pm
post #55 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I say we all take the pledge not to buy this stuff.

If people buy Duff cake mix and fondant and then use the Cake they really can become professionals in no time!!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Just what I was thinking as I read this thread icon_rolleyes.gif

JanetBme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetBme Posted 17 May 2010 , 12:40am
post #56 of 155

I was just noticing today that the cake mixes were almost gone in my micheals. You know people will pay for his name- that way they get a "duff" cake. Good for him- the cake shows have done my business well- now they can imagine cooler cakes- and will pay a bit more! It isn't about baking- it is about personality. They have it on the show and it gets people excited about cakes. I bought his black, just because I needed some and it was closer than the drive to Louisville to the cake shop to get satin ice. I don't think regular in business bakers will ever use his products except in an emergency- but hey, if I could sell a cake for 10 people for a $1000, you better believe I WOULD...it's not selling out, it is marketing!

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 17 May 2010 , 12:53am
post #57 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCakes1966

But I'm also not convinced that these "celebrity" decorators actually post their real recipes. I mean...I don't give out MY recipes to customers! icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.giftapedshut.gif

THANK YOU!!! I swear some of the "big name" decorators whose recipes I've tried (from their books) have intentionally left out a couple things just so I can't make a cake as delicious as they can! icon_cry.gif

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 17 May 2010 , 12:59am
post #58 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbark

well I guess my Michael's is behind. stopped in today & the cake aisle is not fully stocked like usual and they're moving things around. no Duff items though (kinda curious just to see it). the checker said they were getting in new "celebration" items?

Same here in San Antonio. Still haven't seen any Duff stuff in our Michael's stores.

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 17 May 2010 , 1:12am
post #59 of 155

We read that some think Duff's fondant is Satin Ice, while others have said it could be Fondarific. Since we've posted numerous times about being avid users of Fondarific, we figured, "Let's take a coupon and purchase some and see if it takes like what we have." When we got to Michaels, we said, "NO WAY!"

The fondant was being sold for $19.99 BEFORE the discount for only 2 pounds----$10/lb of fondant. I don't think so! Even with the coupon, it would have still put it over the regular purchase price.

I think we'll stick with buying what we normally use.

Paul

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 17 May 2010 , 1:15am
post #60 of 155

I pay $15 for 2lbs of satin ice at my cake supply so the Duff with coupon isn't bad to me. And I can get it close to home. I'll be trying next time I need to do a fondant cake. I won't be trying the cake mix. That price is nutsicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%