Thoughts And Support For Cakegirls - Devastating Fire In

Decorating By KathysCC Updated 29 Apr 2010 , 5:28pm by felin

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 1:49pm
post #91 of 215

Even though things seem impossible now in your loss, you will rebuild and continue to be a success and an inspiration to all of us at CC. I will pray for a speedy and fair resolution with your insurance company so you can start rebuilding.

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 1:51pm
post #92 of 215

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/2128458,north-side-bakery-fire-032910.article#

Hopefully the laptop the recovered is salvagable by the computer gods and the order book is readable.

After the shock wears off, they will be okay. I've read they received lots of offers on space to use.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 1:53pm
post #93 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie

The entire Cake Central team will be sending you gals our thoughts and support!

For those of you that have not read about the devastating fire, you can read more here:

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/03/cakegirls-bakery-in-flames.html

Cakegirls owners and sisters Brenda (left) and Mary Maher console each other after an early morning fire destroyed their business. (Heather Charles/Tribune)

ImageBrenda Maher was about to drive to work at Cakegirls early this morning when her sister Mary called sobbing. The upscale Lake View bakery that the pair launched from scratch in 2003 was engulfed in flames.

"I just couldn't believe it," said Maher, who rushed to the store from her home in Portage Park. "When I saw it I felt like I was going to throw up. I just felt nauseous."

"We put a lot of work into this business," she had said hours earlier. "Now in a flash it doesn't exist. This is devastating. This is our livelihood. We built this from nothing."

The building at 2209 W. Belmont Ave., with Cakegirls on its ground level, was judged a total loss, with firefighters battling the blaze only to keep it from spreading.

By the time the Maher sisters arrived on the scene, they said water was pouring out of the charred structure, carrying blackened debris and cake frosting into the street.

A Chicago fire department spokesperson said the fire started on the residential second floor of the building shortly after 5:30 a.m. Fire officials have told the sisters the building is a total loss and will be condemned.

Julie Thomas, who owns a 24-hour dog care facility two doors down from the fire, said that she was awakened by the sound of sirens and helicopters. Running outside, she watched flames shoot through the nearby building's roof and into the lightening sky.

"It was a huge fire," said Thomas. "It was scary."

Fire officials said the fire was brought under control about 6:50 a.m. They said that the roof had collapsed and there was extensive damage to the whole building. The fire closed Belmont to traffic between Hoyne and Oakley avenues.

No injuries were reported, but one of the tenant's cats is believed to have died.

Throughout the morning Monday, the Maher sisters camped out at a neighboring Starbucks, fielding calls from worried friends and family and wondering how they were going to start to piece their business back together.

"We worked so hard to make our business grow. This is our blood and sweat," said Mary Maher, tears filling her eyes. "It's like our baby -- every inch of it we made. To see it today is so hard."

The Maher sisters grew up in Detroit sharing a room and an Easy-Bake oven. After they moved to Chicago they ran a cake shop out of their apartment until they could pull together enough money to rent a shop.

The spot they rent on Belmont wasn't ideal, they said. But they made it their own, redoing the floors, lugging in the necessary baking and decorating equipment, and fashioning the outside metal sign.

"We worked to the bone," said Brenda Maher.

And it paid off. Cakegirls has received national attention. It embarks Wednesday on its second season as one of four bakeries on the WEtv network's "Amazing Wedding Cakes" series. Fortunately, that film is already in the can. And Mary Maher is a former winner of the Food Networks' "Last Cake Standing" challenge, taking home a $50,000 prize.

Cakegirls' cakes are pricey. According to the company's Web site, wedding cakes start at $600 and specialty cakes at $900. Customers have included Bono, Queen Latifah, Ashlee Simpson and Jim Carrey, among other notables.

In the coming weeks and months they said they had multiple wedding and Easter orders and an assignment to sculpt a T-Rex cake for the Field Museum.

Now, they worry how any of that will get done. In the hours after the fire, offers of help poured in from around Chicago, but the sisters said they have not made any decisions. They did say that they had insurance.

The bakery has been open for seven years and has six employees on staff, Brenda Maher said. "More than anything, it breaks my heart that for now, they will be unemployed," she said.

With the wedding season fast approaching, the bakery has up to 500 outstanding orders, she said. Firefighters this morning were keeping the sisters out of the building, so they were unable to retrieve any computer records -- or know if there are any records left to retrieve.

The Mahers said that anyone who has paced an order can e-mail [email protected] with questions.

"Please apologize on our behalf to our customers," Brenda Maher pleaded shortly after the fire. "We are going to do our best to reach everyone."

Later this morning, staring toward the charred remains of the business, Brenda Maher said the last several hours have been surreal.

After teaching two cake decorating classes Saturday, the last day the shop was open, Maher said she closed up as usual, finishing the remaining paperwork and wiping the counters clean.

"I just closed the doors and turned off the lights," she said.

-- Cynthia Dizikes and Deanese Williams-Harris

The picture of them together just tells it all. I ache for them. Thank goodness no one was in the shop at the time and no one was hurt. That's first and foremost. Their personal strength comes through everytime you see them, I know they'll come out of this even stronger and more determined. I just wish there was something I could do for them.

jadedlogic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadedlogic Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 2:10pm
post #94 of 215

You are in my thoughts and prayers

Jan14grands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jan14grands Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 3:12pm
post #95 of 215

This is such sad news for you sisters. I've watched you compete on tv many times and I'm sure you are just devastated. But I hope you keep the faith and press on, and build your business again, in time. My prayers are with you both and God Bless You.

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 3:37pm
post #96 of 215

Dear Cakegirls:

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. The bright side is that no one was hurt and like a Phoenix, great things will rise from the ashes and you will bounce back, bigger and better than ever.

In my thoughts and prayers, God bless.

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 3:48pm
post #97 of 215

If only there were something I could say that would help! I've been through a house fire, and know how devastating and hopeless it feels. Be strong!

Arita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Arita Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 4:12pm
post #98 of 215

These are very sad news. Just think you are more than the building. The esence is in you and you take it wherever you go.

auntyjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntyjo Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 4:31pm
post #99 of 215

hi cakesgirls

sorry to hear bout the fire but here in yorkshire, england i'd just say chin up babe its only bricks and mortar, bigger and better have tried to bring me down but not suceeded yet,

a company with a reputation like yours can only get bigger and better and i hope you get back on your feet soon thumbs_up.gif

keep ya chin up chuck
best wishes for a speedy come back
aunty jo

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 4:59pm
post #100 of 215

So sorry for you ladies. If there is anything I can do, please let me know.

golfwidow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfwidow Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 5:06pm
post #101 of 215

My thoughts & prayers are with you Brenda & Mary.

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 5:12pm
post #102 of 215

I only know you from watching you on TV, and from admiring your amazing work, but I wish I could add more to what the others have said so well.

Hoping that when you know that so many people support you in their hearts, it helps you even just a bit.

Wishing there is more we could do - just say the word and your Cake Central friends will be there.

Moniquea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moniquea Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 5:32pm
post #103 of 215

I was shocked and immediately so sad to hear this, as are many kindred cakers. I can think of another successful bakery that burnt to the ground in it's prime. They borrowed the oven of a fellow business while they worked hard to rebuild. They came back better than before.

It was...Junior's Cheesecake.

You WILL make it thru this Cake Girls...

SugarMama602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMama602 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 5:50pm
post #104 of 215

I am so sorry this happened to you....I can only imagine what is going through your minds. But no one was hurt and you will come back bigger than ever! Your clients will understand. I wish I lived closer so I could help!

TheCakeShak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeShak Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 5:51pm
post #105 of 215

We are so sorry to learn of your devastating loss!
As you said Mary, thank goodness no one was hurt..

You will bounce back!! Someone here said, and it's true, it was just a building. You've already built your business on your cake styles and your name!
It is so so wonderful to read that your community is surrounding you with help.. That too is a blessing!

You will come back bigger and even more better! This will pass!
You have the rally of everyone here and at the other cake sites and all over of support! Use that support and the strength from which it comes to help you take that new step each time!

Blessings and more blessings to you all!

Jenteach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenteach Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 6:14pm
post #106 of 215

My thoughts and prayers to you both during this difficult time. May you find the strength in each other and your friends and family to help you through this time.

Jen

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 6:26pm
post #107 of 215

Terribly heartbreaking. My prayers and hope are with you. I know both will rise from the ashes like a Phoenix.

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 6:26pm
post #108 of 215

Mary and Brenda,

You are two tenacious gals.....you will survive and come back stronger than ever. Take this as an opportunity to design your space and have an even more ideal workplace some day.

Hugs to you and my prayers and best wishes as you work through this devastating loss.

Blessings,
Ilene

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 6:43pm
post #109 of 215

My thoughts and prayers, are with you, when I heard I was so shocked and tears came to my eyes, so I can surely imagine how you feel, but the Lord is on your side, and he will guide you through your troubles and everything will be better.

DiLynn918 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiLynn918 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 6:53pm
post #110 of 215

I am so sorry to hear about your lost, your are one of my favorite shows to watch. I watch it like I'm watching a soap opera.

Even though it hurts right now, maybe this is GOD's way of giving you a new beginning.

Don't give up!

Diana thumbs_up.gif

pugmama1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pugmama1 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 7:00pm
post #111 of 215

I, too, am shocked and saddened by this awful news. Your bakery was my favorite on the Amazing Wedding Cakes show- because of your amazing cakes and your special bond as sisters. My prayers are with you and I hope you will find comfort and guidance in the days ahead. My heart aches for you both- sending many hugs your way.

Jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 7:19pm
post #112 of 215

I know everyone here just wants to help out The Cake Girls, but please refrain from contacting them directly.

At this difficult time its best to post your positive thoughts, and support directly on cakecentral.com

Also, a lot of you have expressed an interest in donating, or volunteering to help them.

I have actually contact Brenda about organizing something like that.
Although they are absolutely grateful for the outpouring of support from the cake decorating community, , this is not a top priority for them at the present time.

If anything gets organized, I will definitely make a post about it.

I just want to remind everyone to please not contact the gals directly, but make all your support here. Understandably, they have been getting a lot of email, and they need to get back to their customers first.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 7:20pm
post #113 of 215

Prayers and support as you recover from this terrible tragedy.

Deniro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deniro Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 8:20pm
post #114 of 215

No words could comfort the grief you are going through. You may not see it now, but the Lord is by your side and he will see you through this. You will overcome this and will make you a stronger person. With love, Anabel.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 8:32pm
post #115 of 215

Very well put Jackie. And thank you so much for the update.

MrsAB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsAB Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 8:34pm
post #116 of 215

My thoughts and prayers are with you Cake Girls! In the words of motivational speaker Willie Jolley "A Setback is Nothing but a Setup for a Comeback!" And a comeback, we all in the cake world know, you will make! Keep your heads up and know many around the globe are behind you!

BlairsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlairsMom Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 10:45pm
post #117 of 215

So sorry for this loss. It is like a death when something like this happens you ladies are both in my thoughts and prayers and my heart goes out to you. You ladies have worked so hard and that will pay off i know that you two will once again have a shop! icon_smile.gif Hugs

threedcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
threedcakes Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 3:50am
post #118 of 215

OMG! I was just in this past Saturday's class and can't believe this happened. Brenda was such a doll, she even let me take home her cake she demostrated on in class. My heart and prayers go out to the Cakegirls at this sorrowful time.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 9:04am
post #119 of 215

I am so sorry this awful thing has happened to you, but you will rise again, even better than before. You are strong women. You'll be fine. Hope will lift you up and help you fly again.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 9:54am
post #120 of 215

Some of my favorite Food Network challenges were when you two kicked butt. You're an amazing team and I know you'll get through this...

My sincerest thoughts and prayers are with you...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%