Ruffled Effect...how To?

Decorating By dalis4joe Updated 25 Apr 2010 , 7:30pm by threeforhim

tenleysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tenleysmommy Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 2:16am
post #31 of 99

The chocolate ruffler is called a girolle and I have one sitting under my bed never used.I dont know how it would work with fondant.You have to buy special discs of chocalte to use.If any one has any ideas on how to use it for fondant I would love to blow the dust off and give it a try icon_smile.gif

cakefairy03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy03 Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 2:50am
post #32 of 99

That is the coolest thing ever! Now I want one! Even if I only ever use it once....hehe!

That cake is just gorgeous! Can't wait to see you're final masterpiece!

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 3:11am
post #33 of 99

Love that cake.... I have a bridal shower coming up that this just might fit the bill.... Can't wait to see pictures! And of course, tips on how you did it... please!!

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 3:16am
post #34 of 99

tenleysmommy: why dont you get a thick slab of fondant.... make a hole in the middle.. and put it there to see if it would ruffle fondant? I think it might.. not sure though....

mcdonald: that's wht I said when I saw it... and that's what I will use it for.. a bridal show... it's very nice and I know it has the feel that can appeal to many brides-to-be.... so far it's coming along great... I am taking pics so I can post them when it's finished!

Bonniecakes08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonniecakes08 Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 11:29am
post #35 of 99

dalis4joe, we are on pins and needles for you! Good luck with it. I wonder if you would share how you covered your dummies, I need to think about starting my dummy wedding cakes for an upcoming show. TIA

Bonniecakes08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonniecakes08 Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 11:32am
post #36 of 99

Another question about that cake, how are you going to make the polk-a-dots, they almost look like tiny fondant circles, but so perfectly placed????

bobhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobhope Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 12:02pm
post #37 of 99

colette peters did a ruffle demo here..i guess it's the same concept icon_smile.gif

www.rolledfondant.com/how.htm

dalis4joe Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 12:10pm
post #38 of 99

Bonniecakes08: Hi... thanks for your support... I will be sharing the pics I have when I finish the project.... as far as the dots... they are royal icing (done with a stencil)
And the cake board is fondant with RI dots so they raise the cake a bit and look like it's floating.... I have to stop for 2 days 'cause tmo I will be at the ABE Expo (Atlantic Bakers Assoc. in Atlantic City, but when I get back I should be finished soon...

Thank to all of you for all the help and support!! Love Ya

dalis4joe Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 12:19pm
post #39 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobhope

colette peters did a ruffle demo here..i guess it's the same concept icon_smile.gif

THANKS YOU!!!!

This is going to save me tons of time.... the way I'm doing it... get the same effect but it's a lot less ruffles for the same amount of time.... I will do it the way she did from now on..... AWESOME!!!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 9:53am
post #40 of 99

Natalie, I've done the same exact effect (don't have a picture of the cake though). I just roll out a very thin strip of fondant (I use choc. fondant so it rolls super thin but gumpaste or 50/50 will do) and then clump it together. You just keep building it until you get the flow you want. I hope I made sense.

Good luck.

marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 10:44am
post #41 of 99

Hey There
Anytime i have done ruffles i've rolled out the fondant ( just plain old fondnt) fairly thin (i've done it with the carnation /frill cutter thingy and just a long rectangle - either way works fine). Then i get a cocktail stick and roll this along te bottom edge coming up as high as needed. The fondant then ruffles away beautifully - the good thing about this way is it is an optical illusion. The edge you see is very thin and beutifully ruffled and can be manoevered to sit however you want it to but the bit you don't see is thicker which makes it easier to attach and much less likely to tear as you set it down where you want it.
Just what i do - hope it helps.

ckckhome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckckhome Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 1:56pm
post #42 of 99

Good Luck, you will make a beautiful cake. We are rooting for you. Please share the final results. I have another cake tool to purchase for my collection. icon_smile.gif

bobhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobhope Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 2:39pm
post #43 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalis4joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobhope

THANKS YOU!!!!

This is going to save me tons of time.... the way I'm doing it... get the same effect but it's a lot less ruffles for the same amount of time.... I will do it the way she did from now on..... AWESOME!!!

icon_biggrin.gif

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 6:42pm
post #44 of 99

bobhope,

Thanks for the link!

cakefairy03 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 1:26pm
post #45 of 99

bobhope, thanks from me too! There are a lot of good demos on there! icon_biggrin.gif

dalis4joe Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 12:29am
post #46 of 99

Hi....

I know you have all been patiently waiting for some updates... well here are some of the progression pictures... this is of the cake drum and the stenciled sides of the cake... I will do a more detailed run down when all is finished.... I am almost done with the ruffle but don't want to show it until it's all done...

The Colette Peters How-to was a huge help for sure.. so thanks for that... I have 4 more dummy cakes to do by mid April... wish me luck and any ideas you think might be good for a bridal show... please throw them my way... I need ideas also...

Hope you like....
LL

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 1:33am
post #47 of 99

The dot stencil is really cool. I haven't seen that done with a stencil before. Looks very dainty. I can't wait to see the ruffles!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 1:43am
post #48 of 99

Thanks for the updates!! icon_biggrin.gif

cupcake_cutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake_cutie Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 2:00am
post #49 of 99

It looks beautiful so far! I was wondering where I could purchase the dot stencil?

dalis4joe Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 2:25am
post #50 of 99

I got that one from GSA it's made by Marcela Sanchez.... I am so exited...

I lovedddd doing stencil.. it was my first stencil and I got the hang of it pretty quickly and just love how easy is is to use and the awesome look that it gives a cake...
I didn't want to spend the $$$ for the Damask stencil set... but after using this one.... I AM GETTING IT FOR SURE!
tmo the drum should be dry enough to put it all together... can't wait...

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 2:48am
post #51 of 99

If you don't mind...is that the small, medium or large Marcela Sanchez dot stencil? I LOVE the look!

buttercreammgt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercreammgt Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 4:04am
post #52 of 99

I just had a design appt. tonight and she wanted this cake How cool is it that I get to watch someone else do it first.

cakefairy03 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 11:33am
post #53 of 99

It looks awesome! Great job so far...can't wait to see the final piece!

dalis4joe Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 11:57am
post #54 of 99

that's the small one... I had ordered it for a wedding I have coming up... the picture I posted they used the big one but I like the look of the small one better...
icon_smile.gif

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 12:23pm
post #55 of 99

Thanks!

ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 12:24pm
post #56 of 99

It looks beautiful so far! I love the tiny dots, can't wait to see the final result! icon_smile.gif

dalis4joe Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 2:01pm
post #57 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttercreammgt

I just had a design appt. tonight and she wanted this cake How cool is it that I get to watch someone else do it first.

AWESOME!!!

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 2:11pm
post #58 of 99

Who did this cake originally? What site is it from? I LOVE IT!

dalis4joe Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 2:15pm
post #59 of 99

It's from a brides magazine... I will look up who did it and post the info.. but I tried to go to the website before to see if they had the cake from other angles or close up pics and the cake is not posted in her site... but I will get the info for you icon_smile.gif

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 12:30pm
post #60 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

shirleyw. that use to be on here. has a pic in her photos of a chocolate ruffle cake like this. she used a ruffling machine. she bought at sweet inpirations. but other places sell it like country kitchen , i think. check out her photos. hth

I love shirleyw's work...she was one of my favorite people here on CC....these are links to her pix:

fondant ruffles: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1197287.html

chocolate ruffles done she says with the La Girolle ruffler : http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_896943.html

(BTW: Shirley rated the La Girolle ruffler 5/5 stars in her review if you wish to read/order the gadget: http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_CE3300 HTH! thumbs_up.gif )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%