Ot - Hurricanes!!!! Uugggghhhhh! (Long)

Decorating By JennT Updated 25 Sep 2005 , 9:51pm by tcturtleshell

crimsonhair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crimsonhair Posted 28 Aug 2005 , 3:46am
post #31 of 212

I just called my girlfriend in Hollywood Florida to see how she was, she had surgery a few weeks ago . She told me that she was evacuated from her house a few days ago because of the hurricane.. She is back home now and not too much damage to her place..only a couple of broken windows.. We rent the place across from her and it is ok she says..Some damage to a few homes on the street but no one hurt ,that is the main thing.. Pretty scarry , my heart goes out to everyone down there. Keeping you in our prayers.
Liz

2cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2cakes Posted 28 Aug 2005 , 5:34am
post #32 of 212

Thoughts and Prayers go out to all families that have been faced hurricane Katrina and also to the families who lost love ones. I know what it is like and believe me, I don't ever want to come in contact with another one. I was vacationing in Puerto Rico, when Hurricane Hugo hit the island and my room was on the 8th floor facing the beach, if that is not scarey enough and received a knock on the door at 5:00 a.m. that everyone had to be evacuated immediately. Elevators stopped running so I had to rush down to the first floor and as I was making my way down stairs glass from a window broke from the high winds. Phone service was knock out completely, traffic lights were out and some on the streets. Trees in the streets, hotels were destroy from the hurricane. The winds was more than 100 miles per hour, I have never seen or live in a hurricane before. It is very scarey and you can't go no where, we could not even drink the water, but by the time the word got out about not to drink the water, it was too late for me cause I had water from a fountain and also had pour some into a glass of ice and drank it was it was too hot and I needed to stay hydrated. Later on in the day, I began to feel sick and was wondering if it was the water. Well after learning that the resorviour was damage completely from the storm and that all drinking water was contaminated, well I think that might explain it all. The hotel started handing bottle waters out to everyone and giving out sandwiches, but of cause, I did not want neither at that moment, I just wanted to head back home and cancel the remainder of my vacation, but could not leave until the storm was over. To make it even more complicated, the airport was closed with no income or out going flights. The storm did some damages to the airport making it difficult for airplanes to even see the run way. After the storm was all over, I had a chance to take pictures and can't believe what I saw. Cars landed on top of other cars, iron fences on the ground, trees uprooted, beach chairs everywhere. The beach looked like a war zone. Even the rain forrest was destroyed by the storm, but not sure if by now it has been repaired or if things are back to normal. I am just guessing, but I think things are back to normal. I was told at the time, that it would take at least ten years to restore and repair the rain forrest, which it has been ten or more years since Hurricane Hugo took place. Would I go back to vacation in Puerto Rico, absolutely, but not during hurricane season. icon_smile.gif

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 28 Aug 2005 , 5:58am
post #33 of 212

Well we went out the the emergency shelter and then got sent back home lol ... we're still on call and could possibly be called back out first thing in the morning .. it appears we are out of the path of Katrina unless it makes a more westward turn .. I'm praying for all the people in New Orleans, the Mississippi and Alabama coastlines ... this thing is expecting to be a Category 4 and possibly a Category 5 by Monday when it makes landfall icon_sad.gif It's just sitting in the Gulf of Mexico building up strength .. it doesn't look good ... New Orleans levies are 13 feet and the tidal surge is expected to be 17 feet .. that's 4 feet over the levies .. the city will be submerged so remember to pray for the people in the path of this storm!

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 28 Aug 2005 , 6:08am
post #34 of 212

Hey, I've finally gotten a chance to get on CC. Been busy today. Just wanted to let everyone know that I'm ok here. I live in the North-northwest part of Louisiana so me & my family are out of harms way. We have a lot of evaquated families from New Orleans & that area on their way up here. All the hotels are booked! The city is now opening up school gyms, our civic centers are also opened.

Cheryl, BJ, MarknRox, MelissaBlack, & anyone else that lives down around New Orleans I hope you & your families & homes will be safe! If your having to come up this way don't hesitate to look me up!! I will do whatever I can to help you out!! So please call if you need anything.

Katrina is supposed to hit La. on Monday morning. I pray it isn't a catagory 4 or 5. One of my best friend is in Biloxi. They were evaquated earlier today. I haven't heard from her so I pray they will be ok. I have a feeling that her & her family will show up at my door anytime now.

We will get rain & storms from Katrina but nothing compared to what New Orleans will get. Ya'll are in my prayers!! Stay safe! God Bless!!

tcturtleshell Posted 28 Aug 2005 , 6:10am
post #35 of 212

Ha, ha, Cheryl... we must have wrote our posts at the same time icon_smile.gif

ashianadotkom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashianadotkom Posted 28 Aug 2005 , 6:56am
post #36 of 212

Everybody in florida, alabamaand louisiana be safe out!
My prayers go out to all of you to be safe

AShiana

ivanabacowboy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ivanabacowboy Posted 28 Aug 2005 , 5:41pm
post #37 of 212

Godspeed New Orleans and the gulf coast. Katrina is a Category 5 at 175 mph. They are calling it the "perfect" storm. Get to wherever you can be safe. Now. Things can be replaced-people cannot.

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 28 Aug 2005 , 5:51pm
post #38 of 212

Well - ladies...I just have to say that I haven't stopped praying for all of ya'll in Lousiana & Mississippi. It looks like that's where the worst of it will hit. Over here on the east side of Mobile Bay, it looks like the effects here will only be equal to a Category 2 or so. At my in-laws house, the river is already covering the dock....they're calling for a 12 foot storm surge here in Mobile Bay and on Fish River....so we'll have lots of water & mud to clean up downstairs after it's all over...but hopefully that will be all. We're going to stay there at the house on the river - they've got hurricane shutters and it's a very stable home...as I'd mentioned before, it's made it through every storm since Hurricane Frederick 25 yrs ago...so we feel pretty safe there. I'll try to post again later on tonight, but if I'm not back on tomorrow...ya'll know why - no power!! lol

Thanks to everyone for their concern & prayers - and to all of you in LA/MS....God be with you & your loved ones...stay safe & together!

Jennifer

tcturtleshell Posted 28 Aug 2005 , 6:00pm
post #39 of 212

You stay safe too Jenn!! I'm up in the left hand corner of La. so I'm safe. I just worry about all my friends down south. It does look bad. Everyone keep safe! If any of you need to come up north I'm here! Keep me in mind for shelter!
God Bless!!

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 28 Aug 2005 , 6:02pm
post #40 of 212

I'm still sitting here waiting for dh to get home from work! He is working in New Orleans right now, and has our only vehicle that is running so the kids and I are stuck in our house, which is in a flood zone. I'm just worried that he will get stuck in traffic trying to get home, and we won't be able to get out of town in time. Agh!!

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 28 Aug 2005 , 6:24pm
post #41 of 212

Well Turtle Lady, I am glad to see you are in a safe zone, I actually went on-line to see where you were in relationship to the storm because I was worried that you hadn't been on the sites.
Melissa and Cheryl and Jenn T and everyone else in the path of harm's way, you are in our thoughts and prayers! I have been watching the Weather Network steadily hoping that the storm fizzles out but it doesn't look like it.
Anyway, we will all feel better when we know you have made it through safely. When you see something like this, it sure makes all of your other worries and problems seem minor, doesn't it?
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

tcturtleshell Posted 28 Aug 2005 , 6:27pm
post #42 of 212

OH my goodness Melissa!!! I've been worried about you & Marknrox & ntertayneme!!! If you need to get out before your DH gets home call 911 & get them to take you guys to a safe zone. Leave a note on the front door of your house in a ziploc bag (so it won't get wet) for your DH. Please get out! You don't need to be in that house when Katrina hits. Ya'll are welcome to come up to Bossier City for shelter. I'm going to PM you with my # ok.

tcturtleshell Posted 28 Aug 2005 , 6:30pm
post #43 of 212

Squirrelly, thanks for that! I knew someone was thinking of me today! icon_smile.gif I'm worried about Melissa now!! I was just looking at the weather channel, looks like we will get some of the rain & winds from Katrina. Nothing major though. I just hope everyone will be safe too!

SquirrellyCakes Posted 28 Aug 2005 , 6:44pm
post #44 of 212

Geesh, I forgot to include Marknrox! Yes I was thinking of you, I am getting a good geography lesson on this one. Hope your hubby gets home soon Melissa! Be safe!
Hugs Squirrelly

2cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2cakes Posted 29 Aug 2005 , 3:27am
post #45 of 212

tc, that is so nice of you to think about others for shelter and to pitch in with accomondation for cake central members. Very thoughtful of you. Also, don't want to leave anyone out, but to all CC members, you are all so kind and thoughtful to extend your help and support during Hurricane Katrina to the many people that this storm has impacted their lives. This storm is pretty serious, I have been looking at the weather channel and the wind is 160 mph, pretty scarey. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 29 Aug 2005 , 3:32am
post #46 of 212

I live in Longview, TX, and as of ten minutes ago on the Weather Channel, we look to get hit head on if it doesn't turn. Hopefully by that time, it will have died down to at least a Category 3. I'm in Amarillo, TX for my grandmother's funeral and I fly back in to Longview Tuesday morning and I'm worried that my flight will be acncelled due to the storm. They are saying it should hit us in the northeast Texas area Monday night late or Tuesday morning

SquirrellyCakes Posted 29 Aug 2005 , 3:38am
post #47 of 212

Our sympathies on the passing of your grandmother! I hope you will be safe, what a worry! You are in our thoughts and prayers too!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Misdawn Posted 29 Aug 2005 , 3:40am
post #48 of 212

Hope everyone down in Louisian and Texas are okay. Hopefully I'll be back in the area very soon. Good luck and God bless!

P.S. Thank you Squirrelly..I appreciate your thoughts!

SquirrellyCakes Posted 29 Aug 2005 , 3:46am
post #49 of 212

I am hoping that this storm fizzles out before it hits land because boy, if it doesn't it is going to be a massive tragedy! I guess everyone just feels sick about it and everyone I talk to is watching CNN to catch the latest. These kinds of things bring us all closer together, don't they, they make the world a much smaller place.
Hugs Squirrelly

Misdawn Posted 29 Aug 2005 , 4:09am
post #50 of 212

My TV is on CNN right now! My mother is in Longview right now and she doesn't have a phone or a car. I'm just worried sick! They say the Longview may not get the eye, but it will be close. I'm ready to get home!

gdixoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gdixoncakes Posted 29 Aug 2005 , 4:13am
post #51 of 212

I just got back to Austin from Vegas. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you in LA. I am really worried about MelissaBlack because of her last post. Misdawn, I am so sorry about your grandmother.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 29 Aug 2005 , 4:15am
post #52 of 212

Awwhh, Misdawn, my heart goes out to you! Keep us posted, we are thinking about you!
Hugs Squirrelly

Misdawn Posted 29 Aug 2005 , 4:15am
post #53 of 212

Thank you gdixoncakes.. I appreciate it.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 29 Aug 2005 , 4:18am
post #54 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdixoncakes

I just got back to Austin from Vegas. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you in LA. I am really worried about MelissaBlack because of her last post. Misdawn, I am so sorry about your grandmother.

I am hoping that Melissa's hubby got home and they left right away. Guess we will have to wait for when she is able to get back to us. Geesh, isn't it strange how you worry about folks that you have never met, yet you feel you know them. Guess we share the human experience here a lot!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 29 Aug 2005 , 4:21am
post #55 of 212

I have been through my share of hurricanes when we lived in Pensacola and I know first hand the devastation a hurricane can leave. I haven't been through a Cat 5 though! My heart and prayers are to everyone who will be affected by this. We don't know why things like this happen but they do and all we can do is pray!

Here's to hoping everyone in New Orleans, especially, will be safe and be able to return to their homes!

Amy

tcturtleshell Posted 29 Aug 2005 , 6:11am
post #56 of 212

I wrote MelissaBlack an email but haven't heard from her yet. I'm worried too! I can't remember exactly where she lives. I also wrote Cheryl, haven't heard from her either. I will call her in the morning to make sure she's fine! I hope all our friends are safe down there!

Misdawn, I know your only 1 hour away from me. I agree with you about the route the hurricane is going now. I feel we might get more bad weather from it then the weather people think. Hurricanes change direction so quick though. Yesterday it was supposed to hit Florida. Go figure. I'm sure your Mom is ok. Also I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma. I was looking for you to call me last week so we could get together for lunch. Now I know why you didn't call. My thoughts & prayers are with you. I hope you also make it home soon.

Oh, 2cakes you are sweet too! You would do the same thing that I did! I just wish I could do more!! Sorry to hear about your hubby. Is he ok? Your in my prayers too!

Squirrelly there ARE a lot of wonderful caring people on CC aren't there!! I'm so happy that I know a lot all these wonderful people, your one of them too!! WE ALL MAKE THE WORLD GO AROUND MUCH EASIER!!!!

I so dread seeing the news on tv in the morning. I hope Katrina will miraculously (spelled wrong) disapate!! WOW!!! That would be great!! God's Blesssing to everyone!!!

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 29 Aug 2005 , 7:21am
post #57 of 212

Ladies, I'm a nervous wreck....can't sleep. Just thinking about all of those people in New Orleans and south LA and MS....but also worried about what will happen here. We're at my in-laws house, as I told ya'll we'd be...on Fish River - it empties out into Weeks Bay (small bay) which empties into Mobile Bay. The dock is already 3 feet under water...at least at 10pm it was...probably more now. The rain is coming down so hard that I can't go to sleep...and the wind is getting stronger & stronger...it's hovering around 25 mph in this area now. I know ya'll probably think we're crazy choosing to stay in a house on the water, but we live in a mobile home....we moved it onto our property back in January so we wouldn't have to pay rent and we could start building our house this winter. It's an older one that we bought with cash...no payments to have. I'm just so scared, though....they say the west side of a hurricane is always the worst...well - we're on that side and from what it looks like on the weather channel and our local channels, we're going to get some very serious winds. And that's what will tear a trailer apart. I just want to cry, but I keep stopping myself. At least we have a generator here & gas stove...and we're all here. My in-laws, who are in Utah right now, are going insane because we stayed. But there wasn't anyone else to take care of "the homestead". They're scared because they are the ones who usually tell us what to do during hurricanes!! lol you know....the older, the wiser...lol. But really because they're so far away from their children & grandbabies at such a stressful time. My dad, who lives in Atlanta, is going a little nutty himself, with his only=child, baby girl far away from him with a giant hurricane heading inland.

If any of you have ever been to Gulf Shores/Orange Beach, AL - the beach road is completely under water...and the water's making its way up into the town, Hwy.59(road that dead ends at the beach). The beach is only 20 minutes south of me....maybe 35/40 miles at the most...nothing to a hurricane like this one.

As worried & scared as I am, I can only imagine what everyone in LA and MS...especially near New Orleans are going through. All the weather/news casters keep calling it a "soup bowl".....that's just terrifying to think about.

Misdawn - I'm so sorry about your grandmother & I sure hope that your mom is ok where she is. I'll be praying for ya'll.

That's very worrying about MelissaBlack...TC - please let us know if you hear from her or Cheryl & how they're doing.

Thank goodness we've still got power and internet and phones or I'd have gone insane watching all of the coverage tonight/this morning. Been taking breaks from the TV to surf the net just to distract. But I'm sure it won't be the same tomorrow. I'll try to post again, if I can.

Jennifer icon_sad.gif

alracntna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alracntna Posted 29 Aug 2005 , 2:30pm
post #58 of 212

Well I have been watching the news all morning about the Hurricane. I hope all our friends in LA and MS. are doing okay as far as here in TX we are bone dry. we thought we were going to get at least some rain from the hurricane but nothing. We have a 20 % chance of rain today. Anyone need a place to stay from LA or MS? We are always open here in TX. Lets pray for those in LA and MS.

God protect our friends who are in the way of the hurricane. Keep them and their families safe. We hope we will hear from all of them soon saying that they are all okay. Thank you Lord, Amen.

fytar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fytar Posted 29 Aug 2005 , 4:08pm
post #59 of 212

I don't have Internet access at home still so I've been dying to get back to the office to check on my friends here at CC! I am praying for you guys and if any of you need to come as far north as Montgomery, which I don't think you'll need to do that with the way this storm seems to be moving, you can stay with me!! Haven't got much room, but sure do have food and water!! All weekend I've been wondering especially about you guys there in New Orleans and how stressed and scared you guys must be. I'm praying you are spared the flood damage and that nothing more than some cleanup will hinder you. Love you all, Tarina

tcturtleshell Posted 29 Aug 2005 , 4:10pm
post #60 of 212

Good day everyone,

I had a pretty sleepless night too Jenn. I didn't get up to look at the tv but I was tossing & turning all night. One of my best friends is Franklinton, La. it's right at the toe of La. She was at Kesler, AFB in Biloxi but evacuated to La. where she is from. Her hubby being in the AF had to stay on the base. Mandatory he had too. So they are seperated! I talked to each of them last night. My friend has been through plenty of hurricanes but worried about this one like everyone else is. I pray they'll be ok.

FOXnews is saying they are not getting any radar from New Orleans because it has been damaged so we're not getting much news on that. I do know the Superdome is leaking & has been damaged. New Orleans has always been called a "soup bowl". But I'm from La. that's how I know. I guess other people wouldn't.

Looks like the eye is nearly past New Orleans. They were hit pretty hard.

I'm in the North-Northwest part of La. right under the left hand point of the state. It is cloudy, then sunny here & very windy! We never get this much wind in Aug. So I know the winds are from Katrina.

Still haven't heard from Melissa, Cheryl or Roxanne (marknrox). I wish we would hear from them. Everyone would be able to breathe if we heard from them.

Keep praying everyone! Carla, thank you for that prayer!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%