How About A Serious Thread About Cake Balls?

Baking By motherofgrace Updated 6 Sep 2013 , 2:29am by MBalaska

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 10:20pm
post #541 of 1361

Thanks, Cakesbylj, I will have to go and check her out. I am not often on that side of town, but if it is worth your time to come from Clarksville, I guess I should trudge on over. Thanks again.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 5:39am
post #542 of 1361

It was (deleted) You can just type merkens chocolate wafers into google & many options turn up

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 5:59am
post #543 of 1361

Just a tip and someone may have already suggested this. When I'm dipping my cake balls I melt my chocolate in my mini crock pot on low setting. It works like a charm! My chocolate stays at the perfect temp. and doesn't "cook".

deMuralist Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 7:16pm
post #544 of 1361

I just remembered that I never responded to the reason I use that particular binder for my red velvet cake balls....

If I use cream cheese, powdered sugar, and milk as opposed to using a cream cheese icing I can adjust the flavor, sweetness, and moisture independently of each other to make the final result perfect.

I am working at being able to do the same thing in all of my cake combos.

kaddikakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaddikakes Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 8:23pm
post #545 of 1361

So I made about 150 cake balls last night and now have a couple of questions:
1. I used Bakerella's recipe with red velvet & cream cheese icing but why when I covered them in choc. they squirted out??
2. How do I get the edges off the bottom of the balls without breaking them?
3. I have them in the fridge now and want to box them up on Sat., how long before I box them should I take them out of the fridge?
Thanks everyone for your help.

Kerrym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerrym Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 1:32am
post #546 of 1361

Kaddikakes - I have the same problem with the leaking. I think that is a temperature thing....balls too cold candy too hot....then they crack and leak. It could also be tiny air bubble in the candy. For the puddles around the bottom, I use a toothpick and score around the bottom while it is still wet. When it dries it pops right off. No answer for your 3rd question... I need to figure that one myself. HTH

stashie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stashie Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 3:09am
post #547 of 1361

I leave the toothpick in the ball after dipping and stick it into a piece of Styrofoam until the coating sets up, then I remove the toothick and place the truffle in a mini-cupcake liner.

Also, I have seen that many here thin their chocolate with shortening, but I find that my truffles set up better and have a beautiful shinny coat if I thin with a small amount of paraffin wax. My customers love them!!

dandelion56602 Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 5:46am
post #548 of 1361

Does anyone have any ideas for Christmas cake pops besides the reindeer? I'm thinking about giving them as gifts to my dd's class.

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 5:52am
post #549 of 1361

how about santa hats, or santas, christmas trees, Presents, Ordaments... lots of ideas!

three_sets_of_twins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
three_sets_of_twins Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 7:57am
post #550 of 1361

dark chocolate cake, german chocolate frosting, dipped in dark chocolate, topped with a pecan.

fresh baked chocolate chip cookies( chewy), chocolate frosting, some cream cheese, dipped in dark or milk chocolate. top with choc chip.

fresh baked chocolate chip cookies (chewy), fresh baked brownies, mush together, chocolate frosting, dip in dark chocolate.

Dark chocolate cake, 1 jar nutella, 1 jar peanut butter. YUM.

fresh baked brownies, cheesecake as binder. dip in dark chocolate.

cheesecake baked with pineapple and coconut essense, dipped in white chocolate. pina colada cheesecake balls!

yellow cake mix, add cinnamon and nutmeg, substitute pumpkin pie filling for oil and 1/2 cup water, mix with cream cheese or cream cheese frosting. tastes like little pumplin pie cake balls. dip in white or milk chocolate.

deMuralist Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 12:28pm
post #551 of 1361

Stashie, do you actually roll yours into a ball shape? And how do you keep the ball from falling off of the toothpick whne you dip it in the chololate?

I am dipping mine with a 2 tine candy dipper.

kaddikakes, if you tap the spoon (or whatever you are using) on the side of the chocolate pan before you take it out of the chocolate there is less of a puddle, then I also use the toothpick score method. I have boxed mine right after they are hardened, and also taken them out of the fridge and boxed with varying amounts of time between fridge and boxing and not had any issues yet (that I know of). I do usually put the box back in the fridge if the balls came out of the fridge though.

dandelion56602 Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 2:54pm
post #552 of 1361

Sweetheart, I can't visualize what you've listed, except an ornament (b/c it's round icon_smile.gif ) . I done other things w/ cookies, but I think it's the shere shape of the ball that's throwing me off. Would you dip a Santa in flesh then in red for the hat, pipe some white for the rim & beard & then detail? I think trees & presents would be cute but how would you do them?

scionmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scionmom Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 3:01pm
post #553 of 1361

I must tell you all that i have loved reading this thread! I have frozen my cake scraps from like the last 4 cakes and finally decided to dive into them last night. With all the tips I have gotten here they look much better than the last time I tried to make them, not to mention taste better! icon_smile.gif I do have a quick question tho, how do you get the pretty little drizzels on top? I have tried using the squirt bottles before but it turned into a PITA!!!! I thought of using a piping back but thought it might be too hot to actually handle, and then maybe I could use RI cuz I have some of that already made. What do you all think?
I want to thank you again, I now have about 120 cake balls and one more batch to make, these are going to be great gifts for teachers and friends!!!

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 3:04pm
post #554 of 1361

http://www.bakerella.com/its-beginning-to-look-a-lot-like-christmas/

Click that link, scroll down and you will see Bakerella has pics and instructions for santa hats and Christmas trees. I just made them this weekend and I thought they were easier to dip than the ball shape. You dip the bottom of the cone first, let it dry, the you hold that part and dip the top of the cone. They were fun to do.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 3:08pm
post #555 of 1361

scionmom, You can put the chocolate in a piping bag. Let it cool a bit if it is too hot. We did this and my 7-year old was able to make beautiful drizzles last week for cookies and pretzels she made for her Christmas concert.

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 3:16pm
post #556 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by three_sets_of_twins

dark chocolate cake, german chocolate frosting, dipped in dark chocolate, topped with a pecan.

fresh baked chocolate chip cookies( chewy), chocolate frosting, some cream cheese, dipped in dark or milk chocolate. top with choc chip.

fresh baked chocolate chip cookies (chewy), fresh baked brownies, mush together, chocolate frosting, dip in dark chocolate.

Dark chocolate cake, 1 jar nutella, 1 jar peanut butter. YUM.

fresh baked brownies, cheesecake as binder. dip in dark chocolate.

cheesecake baked with pineapple and coconut essense, dipped in white chocolate. pina colada cheesecake balls!

yellow cake mix, add cinnamon and nutmeg, substitute pumpkin pie filling for oil and 1/2 cup water, mix with cream cheese or cream cheese frosting. tastes like little pumplin pie cake balls. dip in white or milk chocolate.

These sound lucious~! I wonder how peanut butter cookies w/peanut butter binder would be enroved in milk chocolate... yummmm

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 3:20pm
post #557 of 1361

Ooh - CakesByLJ, that sounds like a Reeses cup!

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 3:40pm
post #558 of 1361

To make the drizzles on top, I just take the melted chocolate in a bowl, take a small spoon and just flick it back and forth across the cakeballs. Or just make little swirls. HTH. icon_smile.gif Here's some I did awhile back.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=90245

charleezgal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charleezgal Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 4:46pm
post #559 of 1361

Okay, I happened onto this thread and am overwhelmed by the possibilities. I want to make some of these today! Where can I find the first original recipe (oe at least an easy one for a first timer to try out)? I need the main instructions too as I see that there are many variations.

I'm glued here waiting for a response. icon_lol.gif

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 4:47pm
post #560 of 1361

well instead of rolling them in balls, shape them. you would need to colour your chocolate or get candy melts.

CaribbeanCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CaribbeanCakes Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 5:13pm
post #561 of 1361

ESQ1031, I love how the tree came out, and you know, I love the different sized balls, look more "natural" to me!!! Good Job!!

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 5:13pm
post #562 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTFundraiser

Ooh - CakesByLJ, that sounds like a Reeses cup!

E x a c t l y ...... icon_biggrin.gif I gotta try some of these; reaching for the peanut butter now...

deMuralist Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 5:33pm
post #563 of 1361

OMG those trees and hats are soooo cute!

scionmom, if you check out the link that Barbaranne just gave it has all sorts of info on what to use to decorate. I just use a disposable pastry bag with a very small snip in it. The chocolate is only slightly warmer than your hand so not too hot to handle at all. Then I just put the whole bag into a ziplock to store for the next time and reheat in the pastry bag. works like a charm and no waste.

charleezgal, http://www.bakerella.com/cupcake-bites-made-easy/ (this is the link from Barbaranne) has a very easy starter recipe for red velvet with cream cheese icing. It is a good place to start because it gives you a feel for the final texture you are looking for, from there the possibilities are endless.

Coffeegrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coffeegrl Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 6:10pm
post #564 of 1361

Oh my gosh, I had never thought to do this! I have a cake that got stuck to my pan the other day (and I learned when you add something sticky to your cakes, no matter hown much you spray or oil, they WILL stick to the pan, lol) so now I know what to do with it! Awesome icon_smile.gif

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 6:54pm
post #565 of 1361

For those of you that have been making these for a while, what works better, holds up better to attach RI decorations, RI or melted chocolate. I'm making some for a party this coming weekend.

Auntie_RaRa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auntie_RaRa Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 7:07pm
post #566 of 1361

This has been a fun topic to follow! There are so many fun things you can do with this little sweet treats. Because I've different sizes of scoops, I can make mini bites and show case them at bridal shows. Brides loved them in the favor boxes that I made with my cricut.

Kerrym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerrym Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 7:38pm
post #567 of 1361

Anyone have a nice vanilla cake recipe? I want to make vanilla cake balls and not use the box. TIA!!

deMuralist Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 7:47pm
post #568 of 1361

I have used buttercream decorations as well as melted chocolate, and had no problem with either one sticking.

scionmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scionmom Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 8:43pm
post #569 of 1361

Thank you everybody! I am going to finish them up tonight and I think I am going to try the Santa hats! I think I am getting a girl crush on Bakerella.... LMAO! JK!

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 11:52pm
post #570 of 1361

I've got the cake ball tree as an option for a big dessert party this weekend for a client- hopefully they will pick it as part of their choices. Oh the pic I posted on page 35 wasnt mine - but I love it too. The cone I will purchase from Jo Ann. If I need it taller I will just carve a bottom out of extra styrofoam.

There was someone on this thread that has beautiful cookies (sugar cookies that had smooth inlaid royal icing detail) that were recently done? Can any of you remember who that was?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%