How About A Serious Thread About Cake Balls?

Baking By motherofgrace Updated 6 Sep 2013 , 2:29am by MBalaska

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 12:47pm
post #481 of 1361

I had to stop putting the chocolate on the back to hold them to the tree because they were so hard to get off that they were falling apart as people tried to take one.

As to the boxes, the brp website will send a sample not sure for how much. I am liking the Nashville wraps as they have a trey that will hold a dozen and it fits into one of their 1 piece boxes, which i can get in a color to match my business card. One trey with box would end up costing about 70 cents (of course I didn't figure in shipping yet). But when the dust settles after the holidays I am just going to call them and see if I can either stop by their offices, or have a sample sent, to be sure that my balls fit into the trey.

The range I have seen here for the charge to the cake balls is 50 cent to $1 each. A local bakery here charges $1.25. I plan to do an intro price to try to sell to local coffee shops, probably $6 a dozen then after I get them hooked up their price to $7.50 a dozen. Giving businesses a deal in the hopes of having an amount I can count on each week to make. Then selling by the dozen for individuals I am thinking $10 to $12 a dozen. I am actually still in the process of trying to figure out how much it costs me to produce a dozen though.

truffleshuffle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
truffleshuffle Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 4:54pm
post #482 of 1361

is anyone else having MAJOR cracking problems? If I go to the commercial kitchen I rent I don't have as much of a problem. But if I am trying stuff at home they all crack. I used to freeze but they got too cold...so now I refrigerate for a short time. Then dip in Chocolate that is melted in a wilton melter which I will admit if you leave the chocolate in the melter it does get too hot but I have figured that out. Both place are kept at a room temp of 68 to see if that was the problem. SO now what can I change to stop the cracking?

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 4:59pm
post #483 of 1361

truffleshuffle, what kind of chocolate are you using? And let us know if you are adding crystals or shortening or anything to it.

cupcakeatheart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeatheart Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 5:08pm
post #484 of 1361

pics!!
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1534640

I got boxes from Uline and they were about $1.25 a box. Didn't really want to spend that much, but they look nice. I sold these for $15/bx with no problem on price. I also got smaller clear boxes from Nashville Wrap. I sell them not in gift-boxes too and send them in kraft colored pizza boxes from Sam's Club which are about 23 cents for a 10". Parchment in the bottom and they work great

truffleshuffle Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 5:40pm
post #485 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTFundraiser

truffleshuffle, what kind of chocolate are you using? And let us know if you are adding crystals or shortening or anything to it.

I am using Chocoley melting disc that is made for dipping(it is alredy thinned) so I do not add crystals or shortening.

I found that if I leave a hole on the bottom that is not covered then the cake mixture can "poop"(for lack of better term) out the bottom to save myself from them cracking I am at my witts end with this as I am working on an order of 400 cake pops but if I cant get any that dont crack I will spend double what I make to get quality ones to send out the door icon_sad.gif

truffleshuffle Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 5:42pm
post #486 of 1361

Cupcake- Love the boxes! and the truffles look great.

Can I ask what chocolate you use? Is is soo shiny and beautiful. Do you temper?

cupcakeatheart Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 5:48pm
post #487 of 1361

Thanks truffleshuffle! I use candy melts, but am considering using FullHouse's chocolate combo (2oz almond bark, 1oz Bakers, and 1oz Ghirardelli) bc it tastes fab, I just need to check the cost first. And I do not temper...no patience for that

littleladyk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littleladyk Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 7:42pm
post #488 of 1361

LOVE LOVE LOVE all these great ideas, i cant wait to try cake balls this year!! thank you for starting this thread!
Im wondering, for the smores one, or anything with marhmallow, do you think fluff could be used instead of marshmallow icing??
thoughts????

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 7:48pm
post #489 of 1361

Truffleshuffle-
I have not had any cracking problems. I have dipped the truffles from the freezer and also from the fridge. What is your specific process? Do they go back in the fridge right after dipping??

Manotas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manotas Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 8:01pm
post #490 of 1361

cupcakeatheart, your boxes are stunning!!!!

esq1031 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
esq1031 Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 8:18pm
post #491 of 1361

OK so here is my first attempt at the tree using an ice cream cone. The only issue I had was that because the cone is so small, I had to make different size balls to fit the top of the tree. they really needed to be smaller than the bottom ones. I just covered the sugar cone in chocolate, dabbed some chocolate on the ball itself and stuck it on. No need for toothpicks. I would just advise using a knife or some utensil to get the balls off clean. I think they are cute and worth the work.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1534740

sugarspice Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 8:47pm
post #492 of 1361

I like your cone-truffle tree! Did the cone become unstable as the truffles were removed? Did it stay upright as they came off? Wondering if it would need some extra weight. Nice job!

truffleshuffle Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 9:04pm
post #493 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarspice

Truffleshuffle-
I have not had any cracking problems. I have dipped the truffles from the freezer and also from the fridge. What is your specific process? Do they go back in the fridge right after dipping??

Ok lets see. I use different versions of WASC let it cool take. crumble into bowl. Then I make my frosting. I am using a version of buttercream- with butter, milk and heavy cream. I mix them and roll. I cool the balls in the fridge for 20 minutes. I dip the stick in chocolate(chocoley bada bing bada boom dipping chocolate that is melted in a Wilton Chocolate melter) I put them back in the fridge for 5 mins for the chocolate to set well enough to hold the stick. I then take 3 out at a time to dip in the chocolate. I made a little make shift lollipop holder so they all can stand and not bump into each other. I leave them out on the counter to set up. ( I found they were cracking when I put them in the freezer....go figure!)

Is it possible the chocolate is too thin? And therefore cracks cause it is weak? IDK anymore any help would be great!

cupcakeatheart Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 9:08pm
post #494 of 1361

Mine crack sometimes because they are too cold and when the ball thaws more it expands the chocolate causing it to cracking. I came to this conclusion this weekend when some of my balls were squiring out cake through hole in the chocolate...it was pretty funny

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 9:10pm
post #495 of 1361

My first attempt at a cake ball tree - Thanks Laura for your advice. I'll get a better photo when I set it up at the venue. this is wrapped for transport.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1534752

Thanks to all for your inspiration!

sugarspice Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 9:39pm
post #496 of 1361

I like your cone-truffle tree! Did the cone become unstable as the truffles were removed? Did it stay upright as they came off? Wondering if it would need some extra weight. Nice job!

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 9:41pm
post #497 of 1361

I can't wait to see it unwrapped cupcakemkr. It looks amazing.

esq1031 Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 10:19pm
post #498 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarspice

Thanks for the compliments. I'll have to let you know about the stability factor. Too soon to tell.

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 10:46pm
post #499 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakemkr

My first attempt at a cake ball tree - Thanks Laura for your advice. I'll get a better photo when I set it up at the venue. this is wrapped for transport.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1534752

Thanks to all for your inspiration!

WOW.. what a beautiful design; can't wait to see the finished picture.. I am happy that I inspired such creativity.. and I love your idea to use plastic wrap for transporting. thumbs_up.gif

deMuralist Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 10:46pm
post #500 of 1361

littleladyK, I am sure that fluff would work just as well, We all use all sorts of things as binders, it is all about personal taste and how sweet you want your balls.

truffleshuffle, the thing is since it is happening at one place and not the other it has to be something that is different. maybe the temp of the fridge maybe you are in more of a hurry at the rental kitchen and the balls dont get as cold. I would really try to figure out what is different and go from there. Wish I could be of more help.

littleladyk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littleladyk Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 10:48pm
post #501 of 1361

thanks demuaralist....im going to try it and let you know how it is!

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 11:05pm
post #502 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESQ1031

OK so here is my first attempt at the tree using an ice cream cone. The only issue I had was that because the cone is so small, I had to make different size balls to fit the top of the tree. they really needed to be smaller than the bottom ones. I just covered the sugar cone in chocolate, dabbed some chocolate on the ball itself and stuck it on. No need for toothpicks. I would just advise using a knife or some utensil to get the balls off clean. I think they are cute and worth the work.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1534740

Very cute~! Great work thumbs_up.gif

FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 11:32pm
post #503 of 1361

ok so i want to make some cake balls.. which I have never done. I was wondering if I could make them large say about 2.5" in diameter and then cover in fondant and decorate to look like christams ornaments and present them in a clear 3x3 box for just a thouht gifts for my coworkers. could I ust use a binder as suggested in the recipes and them just press the mixture into a round mold of sorts.would they hold up? any nd all help would be appreciated. TIA

esq1031 Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 11:57pm
post #504 of 1361

Thanks LJ!!!

ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 12:18am
post #505 of 1361

I started reading this thread earlier today and decided to give cake balls a try. I just made my first batch and I can already tell I'm gonna be hooked! I had some leftover chocolate almond cake and I used Frangelico as a binder. (Grown up treats icon_wink.gif ) There are so many different flavor combos running through my head right now! The bakery where I'm working for the holidays just throws their cake tops away, so I'm gonna see if I can bring some home and try some other flavors tomorrow.

truffleshuffle Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 12:49am
post #506 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by deMuralist

truffleshuffle, the thing is since it is happening at one place and not the other it has to be something that is different. maybe the temp of the fridge maybe you are in more of a hurry at the rental kitchen and the balls dont get as cold. I would really try to figure out what is different and go from there. Wish I could be of more help.

Demuralist- I did just turn down my temp in my fridge to see if that is it....Crossing my fingers so I don't have to swear a whole bunch when this next order of 100 cake pops are due! icon_rolleyes.gif

esq1031 Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 12:57am
post #507 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakeatheart

pics!!
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1534640

I got boxes from Uline and they were about $1.25 a box. Didn't really want to spend that much, but they look nice. I sold these for $15/bx with no problem on price. I also got smaller clear boxes from Nashville Wrap. I sell them not in gift-boxes too and send them in kraft colored pizza boxes from Sam's Club which are about 23 cents for a 10". Parchment in the bottom and they work great

I tried the uline website and couldn't seem to find the boxes that you used. Do you remember what they are called so I could order them. They look perfect for what I need. Thanks...

Jackie

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 12:57am
post #508 of 1361

Cupcake, I LOVEEEEEE the two tone truffle tree!!!

stefkovic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stefkovic Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 2:56am
post #509 of 1361

I would like to try to make cake balls for my neighbors for christmas gifts this year. I did cupcakes last year. Anyway my question is, if I use coffee creamer in them do they have to keep them refrigerated?

deMuralist Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 1:05pm
post #510 of 1361

cakebymilan, I am sure that you could adjust the amount of binder in the mix to allow for you to successfully make the big balls covered in fondant. For me though, the smaller balls give the perfect cake to chocolate ratio in every bite. And I am afraid you would not be getting that. You could just decorate the chocolate balls to look like ornaments.

stefkovic, I have not had any issues with not keeping my bites in the fridge, of course they don't generally last long enough to go bad. I would say you can easily leave them out of the fridge as long as you would feel comfortable leaving a cake out of the fridge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%