How About A Serious Thread About Cake Balls?

Baking By motherofgrace Updated 6 Sep 2013 , 2:29am by MBalaska

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 11:10pm
post #421 of 1361

a little something I just discovered...let them sit at room temp for a bit, if they get frozen little ice crystals appear on them as they are reaching room temp and then you get these little tiny bits of hard chocolate from when the crystals hit the hot chocolate. Just doesn't give a nice smooth finish. It does make the family happy as they end up with the rejects.

I just used buttercream to decorate my last batch and they are so cute, I will post pictures as soon as ds gets home (I am technologically challenged and can never remember how to transfer the photos from the camera to the computer)

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 5:53pm
post #422 of 1361

Superwawa, I love your turkeys. And thanks to everyone who's posted here for your wonderful suggestions. I haven't had a chance to make any truffles yet, because I've had a few unexpected cake orders. Of course, I now have so many bags of them in the freezer ready to coat that everybody's looking at me and saying nasty things under their breath about how I should get my &%*! balls out of there so they can put something else in. Just bustin' to try some of the flavor combos and decorating ideas I've seen here!

Kerrym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerrym Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 6:51pm
post #423 of 1361

I am in the process of filling an order for a baby shower and my chocolate pops are all leaking. I have no idea why this always happens to me. They sat on the counter from the freezer until all the condensation was gone and I let the candy cool a bit and they are still leaking!! Very frustrating!!

CrazyCakes13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrazyCakes13 Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 6:56pm
post #424 of 1361

I don't really get this leaking problem! I mean, I feel awful you guys are having this problem, but I've frozen mine (and dipped immediately after removing from freezer) I've refrigerated them and dipped... I'm afraid when it does happen to me, it will happen in a big way! icon_sad.gif

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 7:33pm
post #425 of 1361

I just wanted to share what I've come up with as far as the chocolate coating. My family has fallen in love with cakeballs, my kids just finished the most recent batch last night and immediately asked when I'm making more in a tone that sounded as if it's been a long time since they've had any. I'm way too cheap to use expensive chocolate for all that dipping, so..... I've started to combine: 2 oz (1 chunk) choc. almond bark, 1 oz. unsweetened Bakers choc. squares, and 1 oz. bittersweet or semi sweet Ghiradelli baking bar. This gives it a better quality choc. flavor w/o the expense. We also tried it w/just the choc. almond bark and the difference is very noticable.

I also just made Eggnog cake truffles for the grown ups:
Eggnog cake (replaced liquid in WBH yellow cake w/eggnog + dark rum), binder is creamcheese frosting thinned with equal parts eggnog + Bacardi.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 7:42pm
post #426 of 1361

kerrym - how moist is your cake ball - my first batch leaked as soon as they thawed because they were too moist. I'm still in the process of learning - but that has been my experience. When I think they're too dry - they are just right.

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 7:46pm
post #427 of 1361

FullHouse- those eggnog truffles sound delicious! I like the idea of adding the rum to it icon_smile.gif Now I gotta go buy myself some eggnog!

FullHouse Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 7:49pm
post #428 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambugjoebear

FullHouse- those eggnog truffles sound delicious! I like the idea of adding the rum to it icon_smile.gif Now I gotta go buy myself some eggnog!

Forgot to mention, I also added some nutmeg to the cake batter. Next time I want to try to dry out the crumbs a bit more so I can add more binder(rum).

amycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amycake Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 8:05pm
post #429 of 1361

Yum I can't wait to try to make these. They sound delish and dangerous. LOL

CrazyCakes13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrazyCakes13 Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 8:33pm
post #430 of 1361

Ooooo, never thought of eggnog and rum! If only I had more reasons to make these! icon_smile.gif Perhaps I shall try some for my family Christmas. SO many yummy ideas!

cupcakeatheart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeatheart Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 8:54pm
post #431 of 1361

If kids are eating them add rum extract to your batter. Rum flav without the tipsy icon_smile.gif On my way to the store to try the new chocolate combo!

pattycakes55d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakes55d Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 9:11pm
post #432 of 1361

I love eggnog and often find you don't get a lot of eggnog taste as its a delicate flavor. I like it to be more bold. Your truffles sound so yummy and would love to make them. Do you think this recipe would be right for me?

FullHouse Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 10:35pm
post #433 of 1361

Pattycakes, the rum flavor is more prominent than the eggnog, since eggnog is such a mild flavor it doesn't really take center stage when used as an ingredient. Maybe try omitting the rum and use only eggnog in the batter+ some rum extract, go heavier on the nutmeg and then use only eggnog (with maybe a bit of rum extract) as the binder w/o the cream cheese icing & rum. Of course, the main appeal to me is the rum content, gotta have a way to tolerate the in-laws icon_lol.gif . I also highly recommend the eggnog/rum spike cream cheese frosting as a filling for cake, it was so delicious I could have sat down and eaten it by the spoonful.

deMuralist Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 2:32am
post #434 of 1361

I am now experimenting with a peanut butter cake, family request!

I did get the cake balls with the buttercream decorations up, as well as a tree made of the cake balls.

I am thinking I should do the tree with a batch decorated to look like ornaments. Maybe in my spare time;~)

Kerrym Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 5:22am
post #435 of 1361

deMuralist- I made peanut butter ones and they were a hit. I used CMD peanut butter cake and Ina Garten's peanut butter buttercream.
I finished my baby shower order and I used your Coconut cake recipe and made some coconut buttercream and they are so good!!! Thank you for posting it!!
I was complaining earlier today about my leaky cake pops ...well...I dipped them again and they were good. I noticed that the greasy stuff comes out of the air bubbles and the bottoms but after a while some of them stopped leaking .... I am thinking that they do not need to be so cold when being dipped.

BooBooKitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BooBooKitty Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 6:40am
post #436 of 1361

Only on page 6 of this thread. Will have to finish it tomorrow. I have never EVER made cake balls.. After around page 2 yall had me wanting them!!! lol.. I am going to have to bake cakes just for this.. icon_smile.gif

Need to start with an easy one first.. icon_smile.gif

sambugjoebear Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 4:12pm
post #437 of 1361

Boobookitty- What I found last night when I made a batch (one from a cake mix) was that a previous poster's recommendation of about 3 spoonfulls of binder per cake mix is right on. You'll get the perfect cake/binder consistency. Mine turned out kinda fudgey in texture and wasn't greasy/slimy in the least.

The cake balls that I made last night were for my Dad for his birthday. He's a closet chocoholic so I made him chocolate mint truffles, chocolate hazelnut truffles, and chocolate kahlua truffles (yum!). They turned out great thanks to the tips in here icon_smile.gif

*funny story- I had the truffles sitting out on the counter all night so the chocolate could set up. This morning my 2 yr old son comes into my room chattering away and holding his hands up (he doesn't like to be dirty). I didn't see anything on his hands, but then I seen the ring of chocolate around his mouth. I was thinking, "you turkey, you got a truffle. OMG you got a truffle!!!" I had him breathe into my face to see if I could smell alcohol on his breath. LOL. Luckily he got one of the chocolate hazelnut truffles. I definately have to guard those better. icon_redface.gificon_eek.gificon_lol.gif And of course my husband just laughed. I love my husband, he brings me joy icon_rolleyes.gif

truffleshuffle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
truffleshuffle Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 9:39pm
post #438 of 1361

SAMBUG- do you refridgerate at all??....I am afraid to leave them out for too long. I make my frosting with butter and milk in it so I am affraid it will make the milk go bad. Maybe I have nothing to worry about seeing they are covered in chocolate?

deMuralist Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 10:35pm
post #439 of 1361

Gosh I use at least a cup or 2 of binder, but I make my cakes from scratch and they are a tad bit bigger than a box mix.

I don't worry too much about refrigeration between the sugar and the chocolate they hold up as long as they last. Although I would probably put them in the fridge if they were going to be overnight, cant hurt right?

esq1031 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
esq1031 Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 1:53pm
post #440 of 1361

So I've been making these cake truffles and selling them by word of mouth, so far. They've been a hit and I am happy with the feedback that I've been getting. Someone my sister works with requested that I make some for her as holiday gifts which I am very happy about, of course. However, she asked if I was willing to package them and mail them out for her because she "doesn't know how to do it". I am just starting out and was kind of taken back by the request. What would you all do? I feel like I am being taken advantage of since I am not selling these by mail order. But then I feel like i'd be screwing myself if I didn't do it because I'd potentially lose a customer.

Please help!!!

deMuralist Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 2:37pm
post #441 of 1361

If you aren't ready to start sending them through the mail (you don't have the right packaging, or knowledge or whatever) I would be honest about it and say so. The chances that they would melt or get crushed seem pretty high, and then you would lose her as a customer anyway.

p.s. what do you sell them for? I am just getting ready to start doing the selling part and wondering what everyone is getting for them.

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 3:42pm
post #442 of 1361

I just dropped off some samples to area businesses, daycares, etc. I am asking $12/doz-packaged in a gold cand box w/ clear lid. I can get the boxes from a candy store for $1.50. But......haven't gotten any orders yet, but that is what I will be happy selling them for. Set a 2 doz mimimum per flavor.

sweettooth88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth88 Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 4:35pm
post #443 of 1361

Hey ladies i made 3 cake ball trees....let me know what you think of the outcome

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1532357

deMuralist Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 6:07pm
post #444 of 1361

they look fantastic. Do you use candy to decorate the cake balls?

esq1031 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
esq1031 Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 12:36am
post #445 of 1361

I have actually been charging $6/dozen as an introductory price, if you will. However, I have upped my price to $10/dozen boxed and no one has had a problem with the price yet. It's not worth doing for less than that.

Kerrym Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 2:04am
post #446 of 1361

I just posted pictures of the baby shower favors. Take a look!

pattycakes55d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakes55d Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 3:24am
post #447 of 1361

sweettooth, those are really great trees.

Do you mind me asking what your price was?

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 3:42am
post #448 of 1361

I am having trouble getting a nice white coating on a dark truffle, such as oreo. I am using almond bark, (not thinned) which just doesn't cover in one coat and I really don't want to spend the time to double dip! I double dipped a couple and the area where it sat on the cookie sheet after the firts dip-was not covered in bark and then let dark crumbs into the white coating-ug! I am using a plastic fork with the middle tines removed, tapping to remove the excess and coaxing off the fork with a toothpick. Each truffle always has a mark/nick (even if a toothpick is not used) where there is no coating and that's where a little oil develops. So..
Is there a better coating for white?? How to eliminate the little bare marks &/or oil???

sweettooth88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth88 Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 5:41am
post #449 of 1361

i just used melted chocolate for the drizzle on the cake balls, i wasnt pleased with the gapping between the cake balls next time i will def use white chocolate as a binder and place them closer together. As for price i only charged 100 b/c it was for a family event. other wise i would have charged $165= 50 small tree 55 med and 60 for the lg tree

sambugjoebear Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 3:04pm
post #450 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by truffleshuffle

SAMBUG- do you refridgerate at all??....I am afraid to leave them out for too long. I make my frosting with butter and milk in it so I am affraid it will make the milk go bad. Maybe I have nothing to worry about seeing they are covered in chocolate?

I did not refrigerate these. My bc is made with butter and milk also and I don't have a problem with it. It's just like having a regular sized bc covered cake sitting out at room temp. The only time I would refrigerate is if you were using cream cheese or cream cheese icing (or another temperature sensitive binder). I definately wouldn't worry about refrigeration if you're using alcohol as a binder- it preserves itself icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%