How About A Serious Thread About Cake Balls?

Baking By motherofgrace Updated 6 Sep 2013 , 2:29am by MBalaska

Jknoxcake2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jknoxcake2011 Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 1:33am
post #1321 of 1361

Is there anywhere online that I can buy royal blue ( and other bright colors) of candy melts? I am wanting to make the muppets cake pops for my nephews birthday and Wilton.com I s completely out of stock. icon_sad.gif
Any good alternatives?

cakeballsofi10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeballsofi10 Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 5:01am
post #1322 of 1361

Maybe buy white bark and color it blue. I won't use anything but bark. Hope you find what you're looking for.

cakeballsofi10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeballsofi10 Posted 18 Nov 2011 , 10:29pm
post #1323 of 1361

I finally gave in and decided to make something other than a simple ball. So I made my first reindeer. But with practice, it will get better. Here he is. I am making them all with different colored noses instead of brown or red. Something different, not the norm.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2210504

Enjoyicon_smile.gif

Bubbleandsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbleandsweet Posted 24 Nov 2011 , 8:12pm
post #1324 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jknoxcake2011

Is there anywhere online that I can buy royal blue ( and other bright colors) of candy melts? I am wanting to make the muppets cake pops for my nephews birthday and Wilton.com I s completely out of stock. icon_sad.gif
Any good alternatives?

I can see that Kitchen Krafts has blue Merckens in stock

maimai16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maimai16 Posted 3 Jun 2012 , 11:50pm
post #1325 of 1361

This thread is soo cool... After reading 89 pages, im so eager to try this tomorrow. My nephews bday is on saturday and will give this as my gift. Will decorate it like a basketball icon_smile.gif

And, have anyone invested on this?
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=ROyGsnJ_3b0

mizlila Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mizlila Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 11:39pm
post #1326 of 1361

AI know this thread is old but I just want to say thank you to everyone for the wonderful tips, tricks, and flavor ideas. I read the entire thread between last night and today, and I look forward to experimenting with different flavor combos. :-)

domesticangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
domesticangel Posted 27 Feb 2013 , 7:16pm
post #1327 of 1361

I made Twinkie balls...piped the frosting (cream cheese with cool whip) into the balls. What could be better than bite sized twinkies?

FYI...these are so much better than the store bought version ;)

NuhakaNan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NuhakaNan Posted 3 Mar 2013 , 6:02pm
post #1328 of 1361

Pardon my ignorance, but what are cake balls?  I've not heard of them before.

dustinosgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dustinosgrl Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 4:13am
post #1329 of 1361

Oh my gosh I made cake balls with lemon cake mix and buttercream frosting then dipped them in Wilton's Dark Chocolate Rasberry candy melts. I can not explain what it is but they are addictive! I also made some with triple chocolate fudge cake, buttercream frosting dipped in chocolate candy melts rolled in crushed up thin mints Another one was triple chocolate fudge cake, crushed up thin mints mixed in, buttercream frosting dipped in chocolate with a sprinkle of cookie on top. icon_smile.gif

dustinosgrl Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 4:13am
post #1330 of 1361

Michaels has candy melts and somtimes they have good colors.

dustinosgrl Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 4:15am
post #1331 of 1361

Cake balls are cake pops without the sticks. I call them cake truffles.

NuhakaNan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NuhakaNan Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 5:47pm
post #1332 of 1361

I don't know what cake pops are either.  This cake vocab isn't used in my country.

domesticangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
domesticangel Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 12:30am
post #1333 of 1361

We now have cake pans that make little balls. If you use cake mix, then you make cake balls. You can insert a stick and have a cake lollipop. You can decorate them anyway you like. They are very cute & tasty! :)

cakingitup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakingitup Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 7:20pm
post #1334 of 1361

these all sound so delicious! i have a banquet coming up and cake balls it is !  is there a fool proof method for making these?

linny33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linny33 Posted 13 Mar 2013 , 7:39pm
post #1335 of 1361

A

Original message sent by motherofgrace

(dont know if I can do this

So here is a thread (if it isnt closed) So we can ask questions, and such!

First off Id liek to talk about flavor combos you have!!

So far I have

[B]Peanut Butter Dream[/B]- Choco. cake, peanut butter icing, milk choco coating, and peanut butter drizzle

[B]Carrot Cream[/B]- Carrot cake, cream cheese icing, white choc. Coating

[B]Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate[/B]- Choc. Cake. Choc. icing, Milk choc. coating.

Happy cake balling!

linny33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linny33 Posted 13 Mar 2013 , 7:41pm
post #1336 of 1361

AI have made chocolate cake and baileys icing dipped in dark choc and then rolled in crushed candy canes for Christmas they were a big hit

CMAC37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CMAC37 Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 6:29am
post #1337 of 1361

AHi all.

Glad to see more talk about cake truffles. That's what I call mine. I make mine larger than most because I like to offer a little more. I carry sweet potato pie, eggnog, pumpkin spice, carrot, keylime, orange dream, lemon, choco, mounds of joy, piney-coconut, banana pudding, etc. Plus more and new flavors coming. It is tedious but rewarding to hear your clients reaction. Happy Truffling!

cakingitup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakingitup Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 6:36pm
post #1338 of 1361

WHAT ABOUT A SNICKERS KIND OF CAKE BALL. I AM FEELING CARMEL-LY AND NUTTY

Redhead46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redhead46 Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 8:09pm
post #1339 of 1361

Hi all,

I am going crazy trying to draw on the candy coating.  The edible markers do NOT work, I've tried 3 brands......... does anyone know what to do?

Thanks in advance :)

SugarBaker71052 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBaker71052 Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 10:27pm
post #1340 of 1361

I haven't read everyone's posts, but I'm noticing a lot of y'all talking about coming up with flavors. I have been literally DREAMING about diffferent flavors lately, and once I try them out, they're pretty good. I was shopping around in Hobby Lobby and came across the LorAnn's candy flavoring oils. I grabbed a few and used them to make cake balls with...I got grape, watermelon, blue raspberry, lemon lime, and cherry cake balls, y'all! They were deleicious and super cute. I made them using white cake mix from a box, and then added food coloring for the different colors---like purple for grape, blue for blue raspberry, etc. Then, I made up my own simple butter cream frosting and divided out about a cup per flavor and added a 1/2 dram to a full dram of the LorAnn's oil to the frosting and stirred it into the cake. I dipped them in colored candy wafers and basically, the candy wafer color reflected the cake color---pink for watermelon, purple for grape, etc.

Once again, D-Li-Cious!

sfandm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sfandm Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 3:10pm
post #1341 of 1361

AI have two great books that let you vary between the box mix, or scratch recipes, which is all I use. The first book is by Dede Wilson, and the second book is by two women last names Ankeny and Lyons.

There are 51 recipes in the first book and over 60 in the second book. They are both called Cake Balls

They are both available on Walmarts website, and the first one is under $11, the second under $15, very little shipping, and lots of great flavor combos.

Just FYI and my 2 cents.

Babbo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babbo Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 3:35pm
post #1342 of 1361

The peanut butter one sounds amazing!!

anavillatoro1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anavillatoro1 Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 4:07pm
post #1343 of 1361

ALove cake balls

kearniesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kearniesue Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 7:56pm
post #1344 of 1361

Hi everyone!  So, I have spent most of my day reading all 90 pages of this thread!  I tried cake balls in the past and didn't care for them, but I'm ready to dig in and give them another chance icon_smile.gif

Does anyone happen to know how many cake balls are in one serving?  Say, for a wedding or party, if they are planning for 100 people, how many cake balls should they purchase?

Thanks!

Karen

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 6 May 2013 , 5:20am
post #1345 of 1361

Can you put coloring in the candy melts to get a desired color you want?   Like a hot pink?

Rommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rommy Posted 6 May 2013 , 6:38am
post #1346 of 1361

ABeagledog, if you thought they were too sweet try this: one of my coworkers uses plain, softened cream cheese mixed with a spalsh of vanilla as the binder to her crumbled cake. Maybe this will help cut the sweetnes, I find premade frostings to be too sweet also.

I also have a friend that uses coffee creamer to bind the crumbled cake (different flavors).

Flavors: choc cake crumbs with mini choc chips mixed in and a bit of chocolate buttercream, covered in dark chocolate. Red velvet with cream cheese and a splash of vanilla, covered on white choc and red velvet crumbs.

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 6 May 2013 , 11:03am
post #1347 of 1361

mareg, yes, you can add coloring to white melts.  but make sure you get the coloring intended for chocolate, not icing.

Rhodiemental Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhodiemental Posted 9 May 2013 , 8:16pm
post #1348 of 1361

AI like making cherry cake and cut up bits of maraschino cherries and use some juice with powder sugar and dipping them in chocolate. I also like chocolate cake and grand mariner. Otherwise I just like adding fillings to them before dipping like Nutella and jam

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 14 May 2013 , 2:39am
post #1349 of 1361

how much cake for 7 dozen cake pops??  Starting to stress... 

kearniesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kearniesue Posted 14 May 2013 , 2:31pm
post #1350 of 1361

I use a wilton scoop, so mine are about 1" or a little bigger, and I use a doctored cake mix.  I usually get about 30 out of a recipe, so to get 7 dozen, that would be 3 boxes, but you could do 4 to be safe..leftovers are great thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%