How About A Serious Thread About Cake Balls?

Baking By motherofgrace Updated 6 Sep 2013 , 2:29am by MBalaska

Bubbalynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbalynn Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 5:50pm
post #1171 of 1361

I haven't yet been able to make it through this whole thread so I appologize if thishas already been asked, but I posted this elsewhere and haven't had any responses. Seeking help.

I tried making some truffles but the cake came out very fudgy. So I think I added too much icing. The problem I ran into was that I wanted the truffles to have a particular flavor but it seemed that no matter how much icing I added, it still just tasted like my cake.

So how do you get the proper texture of the truffle and still get the intense flavor you want (i.e chocolate peanut butter or rum flavor truffle)?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 5:55pm
post #1172 of 1361

It's supposed to taste like your cake. You don't want a mush ball. If you want a more intense flavor you can add a drop or two of LorAnn oil in a flavor you like or some extract. Go easy on this stuff though, a little goes a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG way!! icon_biggrin.gif

Bubbalynn Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 6:06pm
post #1173 of 1361

So how would I get, for example, a chocolate peanut butter truffle, if it's just going to taste like chocolate cake? How is everyone getting all these different flavors? Does the truffle taste like cake with maybe a hint of a different flavor?

I did try adding an extract but it didn't make any difference. What am I doing wrong?

Auntie_RaRa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auntie_RaRa Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 6:15pm
post #1174 of 1361

I do not use icing with my cake bites. My flavor is added to the cake batter. I haven't tried using the LorAnn oils. I'm still playing with peanut butter cake bite, but I added peanut butter in the batter. I'm testing using yellow and chocolate cake batter for the peanut butter bites. But I'm leaning towards the yellow batter and dip them in dark chocolate.

bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 6:29pm
post #1175 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbalynn

So how would I get, for example, a chocolate peanut butter truffle, if it's just going to taste like chocolate cake? How is everyone getting all these different flavors? Does the truffle taste like cake with maybe a hint of a different flavor?

I did try adding an extract but it didn't make any difference. What am I doing wrong?

I haven't tried this particular flavor, but I would use peanut butter for the binder. A TINY bit. Then taste. After you get the taste where you want it, dip it in chocolate and see how that goes. Taste and texture are what you are after.

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 7:55pm
post #1176 of 1361

I use peanut butter as my binder, and its a fav. I add about a TBSP at a time and taste it adter each addition.

The thing about peanut butter is i find I add quite a bit to it. But still, only a tbso at a time icon_smile.gif

Bubbalynn Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 10:19pm
post #1177 of 1361

did you find that by adding that much peanut butter that it got fudgy? Mine ended up like the consistency of a partially baked brownie and Hubby said he couldn't taste the PB so I was afraid to keep adding more.

Also, I've seen that you've done a lot of these truffles - how do you get a strong flavor? Do you use an extract? Put it right in the crumbled cake? Or add it to the icing? Or do you find that any flavor is pretty much just a "hint" of flavor?

For example I tried to do a vanilla rum flavored ball and it still just tasted like cake.

motherofgrace Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 11:21pm
post #1178 of 1361

mine are life a really firm cookie dough... definatly not fudgey!

And MY flavors come from the binder. Like the peanut butter is not OVERLY strong, but noticable. Mint is mint buttercream and that is really minty.

motherofgrace Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 11:21pm
post #1179 of 1361

for vanilla rum, what did you use?

Bubbalynn Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 11:28pm
post #1180 of 1361

for the vanilla rum, I used a canned vanilla, and added a rum extract and a little vanilla extract. It seemed like no matter how much flavor I tried to add, it still tasted like cake, and I was afraid to keep trying to add more flavor.

So yours aren't really cake-like? I think that's what I thought I was trying to achieve - good to know icon_smile.gif

motherofgrace Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 11:29pm
post #1181 of 1361

why not add real rum?? and adding the vanilla on top sounds like that would take away from the rum taste

motherofgrace Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 11:35pm
post #1182 of 1361

and no you cant have them "cake like"

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 11:38pm
post #1183 of 1361

I don't necessarily use icing as part of the binder. I usually go straight to the source. If I want PB flavored cake balls I use PB, with a bit of powdered sugar. If I wanted rum I would use rum and powdered sugar (if it needed sweetening). I try to add the sweetness, the moisture, and the flavor separately if possible. I also ever so slightly over bake so the cake is a tad bit on the dry side, then crumb it and put the crumbs in the fridge-covered- so they will dry a bit more. If I was doing the PB I would use that, then if I needed it sweeter I would add powdered sugar, then if it needed more moisture I would either add PB syrup or 1/2 and 1/2.

My texture is not fudgy, but like a very moist fairly dense cake. And it tastes like cake, but you can tell what flavor cake it is.

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 11:47pm
post #1184 of 1361

Great thread with some awesome advice! I've never made cake balls/pops but I think I may make some icon_biggrin.gif

Bubbalynn Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 1:20am
post #1185 of 1361

I didn't use real rum cuz we don't have any in the house, and I want them to be kid and pregnant friendly for this batch.

I also experimented with baking some of them and I perferred the texture better that way. Hubby said he liked both ways.

Thanks for the info. So my texture on one batch isn't too far off. Just need to experiment a little more.

bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 1:53am
post #1186 of 1361

Okay I'm not at all inclined to go back through 80 pages, so I'll just ask y'all -- does anyone have the cake ball recipe that uses crushed Oreo cookies and cream cheese for the binder? It's very similar to cake balls.

motherofgrace Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 2:00am
post #1187 of 1361

no i dont but i think bakerella does

durell87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
durell87 Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 3:16am
post #1188 of 1361

hey guys sorry if this question has already been asked but i made my first cake truffles today and they were fantastic. I did lemon cake with cream cheese frosting and dipped in white chocolate so yummy! my problem was no matter how hot i got my chocolate it was really thick and hard to dip and make it look nice. it looked rough if that makes since. it was wilton brand wafers. is there any secrete to get the chocolate thinner so its easier to dip?
thanks

deMuralist Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 4:07am
post #1189 of 1361

if you over heat the chocolate it will get thick. So too hot or too cold both make for thick chocolate.

If the temperature is right-somewhere between 100 and 105 I think, you might want to google that- then you could add just a smidge of crisco. I have not had to do this either with Wilton's-which I used to use- or with Merkens-which I use now.

sorry, no recipe for the oreo/cream cheese mix. If it was me, well I would just toss some oreos into the processor to turn them into crumbs, then add enough cream cheese to get the consistency I wanted. but that is just me. My second choice would be to check Bakerella's sight.

Actually, her sight might have the answer to the thick chocolate as well.

GatuPR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GatuPR Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 7:47pm
post #1190 of 1361

bobwonderbuns, is this the one your looking for?

http://www.bakerella.com/grocery-item-goes-gourmet/

She also has one using Nutter Butters. HTH

bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 7:50pm
post #1191 of 1361

That's it!! Thanks!! icon_biggrin.gif

mommakabob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakabob Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 1:24am
post #1192 of 1361

So I have a question, I read most of the pages last night but can't remember seeing this. A customer just asked me tonight if there was some way I could make some cake pops that would go for a brunch...so a breakfast-y cake pop I guess...any ideas????

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 1:36am
post #1193 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommakabob

So I have a question, I read most of the pages last night but can't remember seeing this. A customer just asked me tonight if there was some way I could make some cake pops that would go for a brunch...so a breakfast-y cake pop I guess...any ideas????

How about a buttermilk based cakeball with bacon flecks and maple buttercream as the binder? This idea came from an episode of Cupcake Wars. Or maybe a spice or carrot cake ball with cream cheese icing as the binder. Cheesecake cake ball with chocolate candy coating (from Bakerella).

I was thinking about trying these combos one day.

motherofgrace Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 1:51am
post #1194 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lita829

How about a buttermilk based cakeball with bacon flecks and maple buttercream as the binder? This idea came from an episode of Cupcake Wars.

YUM!!!

Suzisweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzisweet Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 2:10am
post #1195 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Okay I'm not at all inclined to go back through 80 pages, so I'll just ask y'all -- does anyone have the cake ball recipe that uses crushed Oreo cookies and cream cheese for the binder? It's very similar to cake balls.

Oreo Truffles

Servings:40-48

Ingredients:
1 lb Oreo cookies (3 sleeves)
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (using different extracts allows for subtle flavour changes...I've used mint extract, upped to 1 tsp)
1 lb milk chocolate
1/2 lb white chocolate
Change Measurements: US | Metric

Directionsicon_razz.gifrep Time: 1 hr
Total Time: 1 hr
1 Using a food processor, grind cookies to a fine powder. With a mixer, blend cookie powder, cream cheese and vanilla extract until thoroughly mixed (there should be no white traces of cream cheese). 2 Roll into small balls and place on wax-lined cookie sheet. Refrigerate for 45 minutes. 3 Line two cookie sheets with wax paper. In double-boiler, melt milk chocolate. Dip balls and coat thoroughly. With slotted spoon, lift balls out of chocolate and let excess chocolate drip off. Place on wax-paper-lined cookie sheet. 4 In separate double boiler, melt white chocolate. Using a fork, drizzle white chocolate over balls. Let cool. 5 Store in airtight container, in refrigerator. 6 Note: When I am exceedingly lazy (most often the case these days), I forego the chocolate 'dip' and merely roll my truffles into various mixtures - chopped nuts, chocolate sprinkles, vari-coloured candy sprinkles, cocoa powder, chocolate shavings, coloured sugars -- still pretty -- less work.

Suzisweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzisweet Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 2:18am
post #1196 of 1361

Looking to see the most cake truffles anyone has made at one time and how long it took if done in one or two days (part of the time being setting in the freezer)

How long will they keep refrigerated......unrefrigerated?

Does anyone have a recipe (ratio) for 100? What size cakes and how many for 100....the icing I can wing.

Does anyone know what temperature (if sitting outside) they start to melt?

Thanks in advance!!
Suzi

bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 2:27am
post #1197 of 1361

Thanks Suzisweet!! icon_biggrin.gif

motherofgrace Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 3:39am
post #1198 of 1361

Suzisweet- when using my small scoop, I get 100 truffles from one WASC

deMuralist Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 12:47pm
post #1199 of 1361

I get about 125 out of my red velvet recipe using the small scoop.

i have had mine a week left on the counter, would probably go longer, but they have always gotten eaten before the week is up.

Never had mine melt and I had one of my tiers sitting outside this summer at a buffet, I think they were out for about 2 hours total under an open tent and the customer swears they had no problem with melting or even with them falling off of the structure. It was in the mid 90's that day.

For the brunch question...you could do cinnamon rolls.

mlocklear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlocklear Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 6:45pm
post #1200 of 1361

I have a customer asking for amaretto in her cakeballs. She wants white cake with cream cheese binding with a vanilla/amaretto coating. Do you think I can pour some amaretto in my candy bark? I'm thinking it won't harden enough if I do.

Give me your thoughts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%