How About A Serious Thread About Cake Balls?

Baking By motherofgrace Updated 6 Sep 2013 , 2:29am by MBalaska

stashie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stashie Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 12:16am
post #571 of 1361

deMuralist - I roll them into balls and then chill/freeze. Then I place a toothpick in each ball, dip, gently tap off extra and then place in Styrofoam block until set-up, them remove toothpick and place in mini cupcake liner.

scionmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scionmom Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 3:21am
post #572 of 1361

Well, I just finished some of my santa hats and I think I am going to finish the rest tomorrow, I am really tired. But I wanted to share the ones I have done. They are white cake with eggnog as the binder and they are sooo yummy!!!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1538500&sub=1538502&done=1

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 12:01pm
post #573 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by scionmom

Well, I just finished some of my santa hats and I think I am going to finish the rest tomorrow, I am really tired. But I wanted to share the ones I have done. They are white cake with eggnog as the binder and they are sooo yummy!!!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1538500&sub=1538502&done=1

Soooooo cute!! Love them.

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 12:49pm
post #574 of 1361

The santa hats are so cute!

Sorry no recipe for Vanilla.

Made Chocolate yesterday with Creme de Cocoa in the binder, dipped in the dark chocolate mix and boy are they yummy!

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 2:45pm
post #575 of 1361

Has anyone started a shared doc with all these great recipes/combos yet? I would love to know.
I just want to that everyone on this forum post b/c it helped me to "seal the deal" on a cake ball tree for this Saturday!!! THANKS!!

Auntie_RaRa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auntie_RaRa Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 3:12pm
post #576 of 1361

Those little Santa hats are so adorable. Great job!!

cupcakeatheart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeatheart Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 3:19pm
post #577 of 1361

CakesbyLJ...I made peanut butter ones like that a couple of weekends ago..they are delicious! I thought the peanut butter was too thick so I mixed in some milk with my food processor and the thinner consistancy worked better to bind.

cupcakeatheart Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 3:21pm
post #578 of 1361

Awesome santa hats! I love the M&Ms on top

scionmom Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 4:24pm
post #579 of 1361

Thanx everyone! I loved the m&ms too! I wanted to try and find some hot choco marshmallows, the really tiny ones but couldnt and my dd seen these and was telling me she wanted them in her stocking and I said those are perfect! I have so many cake balls around my house right now!!! I just keep grabbing cakes from my freezer and making them... lol. My dh keeps telling me to stop making and give them away... LOL!

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 4:45pm
post #580 of 1361

Wrightway777, someone was working on a google document. It will just take time as everyone is so busy with the holidays.

scionmom Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 4:58pm
post #581 of 1361

Here is the link for the google doc... you can thank wonderbuns for it... LOL

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AWyT_ZcILkBTZGRkNHF6cjNfNWduNzY5YmNm&hl=en

cakesrpretty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrpretty Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 6:15pm
post #582 of 1361

I made cake balls for the first time this weekend. Everyone just loved themicon_smile.gif Can these cake balls be put in the fridge after dipped in chocolate to help the chocolate set up? Also, are they better stored in the fridge or on the counter. I was on a website for a company that sells just cake balls and they said they are best stored in the fridge and served cold. what are your opinions?

Thanks

Auntie_RaRa Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 6:18pm
post #583 of 1361

Sometimes I put them in the fridge and sometimes just sit on counter. Just depends how many and how quickly I need to get them done. Some of my family like keeping in the fridge until ready to eat (along with a bowl of icecream), but I like mine at room temp. I think matter of preference and possible ingredients used to make them.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 7:28pm
post #584 of 1361

To me they are like cheese, cheesecake, cream puffs etc. Better served at room temp. But to each their own. Maybe cool but I don't like them cold

2SchnauzerLady Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 7:59pm
post #585 of 1361

Depends on how long you need to keep them and what you use for a binder. Some binders need to be put in the fridge. I try to use binders that don't require the fridge for convenience sake and lack of room in the fridge - plus, I only do mine for fundraising.

CakesByLJ Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 8:50pm
post #586 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie_RaRa

Sometimes I put them in the fridge and sometimes just sit on counter. Just depends how many and how quickly I need to get them done. Some of my family like keeping in the fridge until ready to eat (along with a bowl of icecream), but I like mine at room temp. I think matter of preference and possible ingredients used to make them.

Auntie_RaRa..... that cakebite cake you did was so gorgeous~! I saved it immediately.. Can you tell us what size the cakes were that you used? I assume you used styro, since it was a dummy? I would love to use that style someday.. You did a beautiful job on it~! icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 8:54pm
post #587 of 1361

You guys are all doing a wonderful job!! icon_biggrin.gif

CakesByLJ Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 8:57pm
post #588 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakeatheart

CakesbyLJ...I made peanut butter ones like that a couple of weekends ago..they are delicious! I thought the peanut butter was too thick so I mixed in some milk with my food processor and the thinner consistancy worked better to bind.

Thanks for the tip cupcakeatheart~! Life just keeps getting in the way, and I haven't gotten them made yet.... icon_redface.gif but I'm workin' on it.. icon_biggrin.gif

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 1:30pm
post #589 of 1361

Auntie_RaRa..... that cakebite cake you did was so gorgeous~! I saved it immediately.. Can you tell us what size the cakes were that you used? I assume you used styro, since it was a dummy? I would love to use that style someday.. You did a beautiful job on it~! icon_biggrin.gif[/quote]

She says in her picture comment that they are dummies. She also mentioned that she covered them in "press n' seal"....what a great idea. I'm going to do that for this Saturdays cake ball tree!

Bobwonderbuns - you are such a sweetheart for pulling the cake ball doc together!!

Auntie_RaRa Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 1:46pm
post #590 of 1361

Thanks everyone for the compliments. Yes, when I say "dummies" I am talking cake styrofoam dummies. Just get lazy with all the words...lol

I can't remember the sizes, but I'm thinking I did a 6-10-14. I saw some examples similar on some websites and just came up with my own way of doing it. I didn't think anyone would purchase this look using real cake and 175 cake bites. Of course, I could be wrong and if someone wanted that I option, I wouldn't turn them down.

I'm sure there are probably easier ways of doing this and I look forward to hearing them.

CakesByLJ Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 1:53pm
post #591 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie_RaRa

Thanks everyone for the compliments. Yes, when I say "dummies" I am talking cake styrofoam dummies. Just get lazy with all the words...lol
I can't remember the sizes, but I'm thinking I did a 6-10-14.

Thanks Auntie_RaRa... I am thinking this might be a great Groom's cake too... again.. great job~!

cupcakeatheart Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 3:38pm
post #592 of 1361

Wow Auntie_RaRa...your cake bites cake is really cool!

You said you attached them all with chocolate, did that hold okay? I'm going to do a tree for a Christmas party, but was worried about how it would look with all the toothpicks sticking out after.

Anyone else...does it look funny with toothpicks when people start to eat the balls off? TIA

Auntie_RaRa Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 3:50pm
post #593 of 1361

Groom's cake...that is a good idea!

I did have a few fall off, but majority stayed on pretty well just using chcolate. For a wedding, I will bring my small Wilton chocolate thingy. Almost everywhere I've done a cake has an outlet and fix any bites during setup.

I made sure when I did the Christmas tree cake bite project, I put more than a dab of chocolate. I feel you about the toothpick thing. I guess it could be ok, but I'm not sure if I would like it. The size of my bites didn't stay on the tootpick...they might have been to heavy. To remove the bites, I used small metal tongs to pull off and they came off easily.

Veronica

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 3:51pm
post #594 of 1361

Auntie_RaRa: MY daughter is getting married the end of February and I'm curious if you have a picture of the favor boxes you made with your Cricuit? Also, how many mini cake balls do you put in each. Love this thread - Merry Christmas everyone.

cupcakeatheart Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 4:07pm
post #595 of 1361

Thanks Veronica! Yeah I just don't want to create this beautiful thing and have it start to look like a retarded porcupine part way through

CAKEetc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKEetc Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 4:16pm
post #596 of 1361

After 3 straight days of reading and enjoying your posts on the cake balls, I had to join to thank you and to share an idea I started last night.
First, I am not a professional baker nor do I have a business. I cook and bake for my family constantly and my MIL gave me a newspaper article about cake balls being all the new rage at parties so I figured I would try my hand at it. The first ones I made were using DH Devils Food cake with a lot of Almond extract added to the cake as I crumbled it. I used just vanilla frosting as my binder. I use a silicone spatula to mash my frosting into my cake crumbs and then refrigerate my "dough" overnight. I rolled them and froze them and then dipped into Sephra dark chocolate. Well needless to say they were a hit and I haven't been able to stop making them. Everyone thought they were truffles. I had no idea they are also called cake truffles but I surely know why they are! Then for Halloween I used Funfetti with white icing, dipped them in white Almond Bark and my daughter put a circle of blue colored frosting in the center with a smaller M&m on top of it. She then took red gel and piped from the outside of the center. We created "Monster Eyeballs"! That was a big hit.
Just like y'all, I became addicted with the thought of all the combinations out there. So here is my new one. I had a Pillsbury white cake that I added peppermint extract to the batter. After crumbling, I used white frosting again and added Peppermint schnapps to that. I refrigerated my dough last night. Today I am going to make balls spacing them out far enough that I can put a piece of parchment paper on top and mash them with another baking sheet to form patties. After freezing, I will dip them in sephra dark chocolate to create peppermint patties for a tea I am attending on Saturday. The dough tastes so good I can't stay out of it!
Sorry for the long post, but I am just excited and have really enjoyed this thread. Thanks!!! icon_biggrin.gif

cupcakeatheart Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 4:22pm
post #597 of 1361

Balls on the brain this morning..........can we talk about shipping? Has anyone ever shipped these babies? I have had numerous requests to send cake balls 5 states away for Christmas, but I can barely get them delivered in my car with all my fingers and toes crossed.

2SchnauzerLady Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 4:27pm
post #598 of 1361

CAKEetc, the peppermint sounds like a great recipe for the google document - Yummy! I'm doing lemon cake with white chocolate BC dipped in white Chocolate for a party this weekend. I was up late last night piping tiny wreaths in RI to put on each ball.

CAKEetc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKEetc Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 4:47pm
post #599 of 1361

TNT, the wreaths sound like a cute idea!
I noticed your link at the bottom of your signature and just wanted to share that my daughter raised over $6000 for TNT. I lost my 13 year old nephew to Leukemia Dec 30 (last year) and she ran the Rock-n-Roll marathon in San Diego in his honor. She is not a runner, but has been a swimmer all of her life and really wanted to do this in his honor. That is a wonderful organization and I appreciate all the efforts of great people like you do for their fundraising. God Bless wonderful people like you!

2SchnauzerLady Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 4:53pm
post #600 of 1361

Thanks, I am doing cakes and that to fundraise to do the Nike Women's in San Francisco next October. I have to raise $4700. I have a good friend I met in TNT who lost her daughter at the age of 2 to leukemia. I walk 1/2 marathons, I do not run and will not run. However, I am learning how to racewalk - that takes a little coordination.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%