Seriously, How Is It Done?? Is There Some Trick?

Decorating By CakesIMake Updated 23 Oct 2009 , 1:35pm by FromScratch

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 7:50pm
post #32 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmom

Thanks, Jeff!

Hey, how does one cut and serve a three-layer cake? Do you just slice through all three layers?

If I do three layers, then yes, just smaller slices.

If I want a taller cake and use 4 layers, I put a foamcore board between layers 2 and 3. You then slice layers 3 and 4 and serve, then layers 1 and 2 and serve.

Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 8:06pm
post #33 of 43

Flourpots you are the best thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif !What a lovely and easy-to-follow tutorial! Thanks for sharing icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 8:18pm
post #34 of 43

Oh, you're welcome...glad to help icon_smile.gif .

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 8:22pm
post #35 of 43

That really is a terrific tutorial. Very clear written instructions a great photos. Thanks for sharing that FlourPots
icon_biggrin.gif

ShayShay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShayShay Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 8:46pm
post #36 of 43

Thanks Jeff, Diva and Flourpots! I think I will just have to dive in and make one!

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 8:50pm
post #37 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Arnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayShay

But how do you get the right angle ( using graduated sizes)?

This diagram may help.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1496199.html

Thank you for this diagram... thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 8:52pm
post #38 of 43

Thanks again, Jeff!

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 8:54pm
post #39 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

Here's a cool tutorial (scroll down): http://www.blogcatalog.com/search.frame.php?term=topsy+turvy+cakes&id=20b2e5738f12db748c01086532de9176

Incredible!!!! Thank you!!!! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

pish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pish Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 8:59pm
post #40 of 43

Okay, so the top cake is mine. I basically did what the diagram Jeff_Arenett posted says to. Baked a 6-7-8, trimmed and frosted. I didn't angle the top of this cake, but if you do you just take the top layer and cut across and down then flip and turn to get the exaggerated top. I hope that helps.

actionmcjaxon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
actionmcjaxon Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 1:31am
post #41 of 43

first of all, try a different buttercream recipe, there are lots of great ones on this site :} also make sure to use a scraper on your buttercream.

if you carve a cake where the top is at a 90 degree angle with the sides, it might not work out. when you're putting on the buttercream, the fondant, the decorations, etc., it's gonna tend to poof out a little bit. then you could end up with some weird obtuse angle cake.

but!
if you angle the sides in, you might get it to look more like you want it. that worked for me :}

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 1:06pm
post #42 of 43

For the bow on top, I use melted candy melts as the glue. (I even melt them in a disposable piping bag) IMO, it sets much quicker than gum glue, and you still have the nice clean look (no big ball of fondant or buttercream that they are stuck in)

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 1:35pm
post #43 of 43

When I make a cake that is tapered I always start with a solid tier of cake with all the layers the same size and carve it. I have done it with the graduated sized layers and I don't care for that method at all. It looks sloppy when you cut it and it is a pain in the ass to ice. Just use cake boards as guides when you carve it... one the same size at the cakes you started with and one that is 2 inches smaller. Place the larger board on top and flip it upside down (unfilled) then center the smaller board on the bottom and using a sharp serrated knife carve away. If you keep the knife so that the flat edge is touching both boards while you carve, it will come out perfectly symmetrical everytime. I hang the edge I am carving over the side of my turn table as I go.. easy peasy and the resulting tier is solid and sturdy and MUCH easier to ice. It looks nice and clean when it is sliced too... no pieces with giant glops of icing to fill in the gaps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%