My Cricut Success With Gumpaste

Decorating By Jenn2179 Updated 19 Oct 2010 , 4:29pm by cloetzu

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 7:06am
post #181 of 226

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-639855-0.html

Kind of long but its where we've all been discussing the ins and outs of how to use the cricut to cut gumpaste.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 1:30am
post #182 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchy1971

Ok if you all promise not to look at the messy fondant job ( stupid weather, warm house and who knows what else, but it didn't turn out well at all, even as I made it I knew it was going to be bad and this was batch #2) anyway, I finished a cake for my friends birthday party, she's having around the world theme.

I did all the cutouts on the cricut, most of them one cut success some we had to battle with.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1437470

OMG Dutchy I love it!! you were able to cut all of that with your Cricut??? Wow!!! did you use gumpaste or fondant? You did a great job!! ;=D Thank you for sharing

dutchy1971 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 3:55am
post #183 of 226

hehe Thanks Rosie, it was all gumpaste.

lindaj36523 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindaj36523 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 6:00pm
post #184 of 226

Ok guys there is a scrapcaking thread started on the cricut website msboard hoping to get PC to help us out with somethings for cake decoraters so check it out and leave your thoughts.

beverlyanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beverlyanne Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 6:16pm
post #185 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaj36523

Ok guys there is a scrapcaking thread started on the cricut website msboard hoping to get PC to help us out with somethings for cake decoraters so check it out and leave your thoughts.

Can you direct us specifically where we can find the scrapcaking thread; I just became a member and can't seem to find it. Thanks.

Bev

lindaj36523 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 6:23pm
post #186 of 226

Go all Forums , General, Cricut Chat

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 7:02pm
post #187 of 226
ptanyer Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 8:17pm
post #188 of 226

I used gumpaste to make the Bullmastiff image I posted earlier. Very brittle and fragile and the PO absolutely destroyed them even though I custom made the foam core trays to hold them. So I tried fondant with gumtex and it cut out so good that I about cried! I was able to cut out three of them in a couple of hours Saturday and they are much easier to handle and not near as fragile. No going back for me. From now on, only fondant/gumtex for my Cricut.

Once again I made custom foam core trays covered in the thin craft foam glued to the foam core. I placed the images on the trays and used the pop-up dots to hold each item in place. Then I placed another foam core tray with more craft foam glued to it. Made a "sandwich" and taped all the edges completely. Going to mail them off again and see how these do. Cross your fingers for me!
LL
LL

lindaj36523 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 7:31pm
post #189 of 226

Thank you ptanyer for the help!!
Gumpase and Cricut forum added at Cricut.com
Please visit and leave a comment
http://www.cricut.com/messageboard/tt.aspx?forumid=157

grannmawlynne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannmawlynne Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 2:59pm
post #190 of 226

I'm new to all this and was wondering howmuch gumtex do you add to your fondant?

jmlawren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmlawren Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 8:24pm
post #191 of 226

Is anyone here using the KitchenAid pasta roller attachment? If so, what setting have you been rolling it to? I just got my Cricut create and am pretty frustrated...

ptanyer Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 11:21pm
post #192 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannmawlynne

I'm new to all this and was wondering howmuch gumtex do you add to your fondant?

I should have measured, but I think about a tablespoon to about 1/2 pound of fondant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlawren

Is anyone here using the KitchenAid pasta roller attachment? If so, what setting have you been rolling it to? I just got my Cricut create and am pretty frustrated...

I use a clay machine to roll mine out. Linda McClure shows using a brush to apply some cornstarch to the front and back of the gumpaste to help keep it from sticking. I do the same, but I use fondant with some gumtex kneaded in. It works better for me than pre-made gumpaste.

HTH's icon_smile.gif

xinue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xinue Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 4:33am
post #193 of 226

I've been trying out my cricut with both gumpaste and fondat+tylose, and I'm sure I'm doing something wrog 'cause it's not working.
How long does it have to dry?

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 4:59am
post #194 of 226

cool!

they had the cricut on home shopping network for $199.00 today! wish i had that kinda money! icon_cry.gif

dutchy1971 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 5:17am
post #195 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by xinue

I've been trying out my cricut with both gumpaste and fondat+tylose, and I'm sure I'm doing something wrog 'cause it's not working.
How long does it have to dry?

xinue I left mine about 20mins to dry and it needs to be quite thin

HTH and good luck

ptanyer Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 3:04am
post #196 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptanyer

I used gumpaste to make the Bullmastiff image I posted earlier. Very brittle and fragile and the PO absolutely destroyed them even though I custom made the foam core trays to hold them. So I tried fondant with gumtex and it cut out so good that I about cried! I was able to cut out three of them in a couple of hours Saturday and they are much easier to handle and not near as fragile. No going back for me. From now on, only fondant/gumtex for my Cricut.

Once again I made custom foam core trays covered in the thin craft foam glued to the foam core. I placed the images on the trays and used the pop-up dots to hold each item in place. Then I placed another foam core tray with more craft foam glued to it. Made a "sandwich" and taped all the edges completely. Going to mail them off again and see how these do. Cross your fingers for me!

Just wanted to let you all know that the images made it from NC to Texas and arrived in absolutely perfect condition!!!!!!! Not one piece moved from their place or broke icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for keeping your fingers crossed for me! What would I do without all of you...don't ever want to find out icon_smile.gif

dannya_2001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dannya_2001 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 1:34pm
post #197 of 226

a couple questions?

1. does any one know can the wish blade machine be used for the same process of cutting fondant or gumpaste; Its very similiar to the cricuit only less expensive & you can use any image from your desktop or internet ( dont need to buy cartridges )

2. Dont you need to afix a picture of what you are cutting to the fondant to run it through the machine for cutting? If so are you simply just laying the printed paper image on top of the fondant?

dutchy1971 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:37pm
post #198 of 226

PTanyer excellent news, so glad it made it in one piece.

dannya, there is no picture we lay on the fondant/Gum paste. The fondant/GP is rolled out onto a mat then fed into the cricut the only image is on the pc or one of the cartridges, it's programmed to see the image and cut accordingly. I've not seen the wish blade so I can't answer that for you sorry.

dannya_2001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dannya_2001 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 4:32pm
post #199 of 226

Thanks for the info,
Any one else know about the wish blade machine?

Ivy383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivy383 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 7:12pm
post #200 of 226

I am very happy and exited! I wanted to share with you guys the good deal that my mom found on craigs list today. All this for $250.00! She is on her way to pick it up for me now. I can't wait... icon_biggrin.gif

Cricut Expression Machine
Juke Box Machine
Cricut Essential Accessory Kit
One Cutting Mat

Cartriges:

Hello Kitty
Disney Princess
Pixar's Cars
Spongebob Squarepants
DoodleCharms
Wedding
United We Stand
Accent Essentials
Plaitin Schoolbook
Jubilee
My Community
Simply Sweet
Printing 101

The jukebox lets you use six cartriges at once and the accessory kit includes scissors, cutter, scraper and ruler

CCCTina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CCCTina Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 4:34pm
post #201 of 226

For those of you with the Silhuoette, did you just buy the machine or did you need a different cutting blade? What settings work the best? I want to buy thisicon_smile.gif

Are there any good specific websites to download free template files?

ailika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ailika Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 4:48pm
post #202 of 226

WOW! I just got the cricut expression & was wondering if I could use the cricut with gumpast or fondant and how to go about it since the paper has to be stuck to the sheet

dutchy1971 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 5:04pm
post #203 of 226

Couple of way to about getting your fondant or gumpaste on the mat.

Personally I soak my mats in boiling soapy water for about 10-15mins then take a scrubby brush and gently scrub off the stickiness, then rinse clean. Light film of crisco on the mat to help the gumpaste adhere
or
Leah_s has been using wax paper on the sticky then placing the gumpaste on that.
or
Rub crisco all over the mat and rub and use your spatula to scrape the stickiness off, rinse cleanthen apply a thin film of crisco on again to stick he gumpaste to mat.

HTH

ailika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ailika Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 9:25pm
post #204 of 226

Thank you I'm ready to cut away LOL

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 11:17pm
post #205 of 226

Hi! I've been having some frustrations with the cricut and gumpaste but there were some successes.
My first project cut beautifully because they were large images and i only needed the outlines (no intricate designs).
Yesterday i tried to cut out a back to school logo and it was a mess. No matter how long i left the gum paste out to dry, it still pulled and smeared off the mat. The letters were about 2-1/2 - 3 inches and they were just mush. I had to stop the cutting to clean the blade and remove the loose pieces. Very very frustrated right now.

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 4:08am
post #206 of 226

Yes luv2bake6 I have trouble with the small designs and also if there are bits that are too thin. Sometimes if you have too much Crisco on the mat it does move around but also not enough and it moves. I know it is so frustrating. I always check the blade often as if it has a piece on it it does not cut properly. The other thing is that I have learnt to flip the images so I have the good side to show after it is cut. Linda says on the dvd to turn the image over as it is the good side on the bottom. Hope you understand what I mean.

luv2bake6 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 2:41pm
post #207 of 226

yes, i know what you mean about flipping the sides. Thanks. It's quite a challenge to get it all right in order to cut properly (the gumpaste, the firmness, how thin to roll, the pressure, the knife depth, the speed, how much shortening, etc etc.) that it does get frustrating.
The other day, nothing i did worked.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 10:08pm
post #208 of 226

I've been playing around a lot with my Cricut. It is a lot of trial & error. I've found that mine works better with fondant & tylose (gum tex) as someone previously posted. Also, older made fondant/tylose (mixed 1-2 days previous) worked better than newly mixed.
I haven't had much luck with lettering yet either. Larger, more simple images definitely cut more clean.
I also purchased SCAL & love it. My poor husband somehow added Windows to my MAC so I could go ahead & purchase the program instead of waiting for the MAC version.

luv2bake6 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 10:30pm
post #209 of 226

I agree. Outlines and larger images will cut nicely but more intricate and smaller images are problems for me too.

dalia1024 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalia1024 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 11:26pm
post #210 of 226

i have read thru all this pages.... and im ready to purchase my cricut but i have one question can it be used for cake and scrapbooking at the same time? or do i need diferent machine for each craft?.... thank you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%