My Cricut Success With Gumpaste

Decorating By Jenn2179 Updated 19 Oct 2010 , 4:29pm by cloetzu

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 4:42pm
post #121 of 226

ptanyer - that was exactly what I was thinking! I wonder if such a video exists? That's what I'm really interested to know about. I just picture myself taking off this beautiful intricate design and pulling off all of the fondant and/or buttercream with it...leaving boring old cake all by itself for people to eat!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 4:44pm
post #122 of 226

I thought you could eat gumpaste..I have eaten gumpaste flowers before and they just tasted crunchy and chalky but not that bad...Why wouldn't they just eat it?

jonahsmom Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 4:46pm
post #123 of 226

I know it is technically edible, but I thought most people said not to eat it because it was hard? Maybe I'm thinking about this too hard...you know, making something harder than it really is? I do that quite often. icon_redface.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 4:50pm
post #124 of 226

I would think you could eat it...I mean who is gonna stand there and peel all that stuff off.What a waste...Just mention it to the Bride when she is ordering that way if she is not satisfied she can change her mind about the gumpaste..But hey..me personally...The look of the cake would be worth it!!

jonahsmom Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 5:00pm
post #125 of 226

Works for me! THANKS!!!! icon_lol.gif

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 5:02pm
post #126 of 226

Everything I have read says you can eat it. I just haven't heard from anyone that likes to eat it.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 5:26pm
post #127 of 226

In reference to eating the gumpaste cut on a Cricut - these decorations will be very thin and will be placed directly on fondant or BC in most cases. I haven't tried any of my cuts on a real cake yet, but I'm thinking that it won't be rock hard and impossible to bite into like a thicker decoration - there will be just relatively small amounts. Sharon Zambito cuts through a gumpaste lid on her boxes and bows DVD with just a sharp knife, so why won't the thin scrolls just pass as part of the covering for cutting and consuming??

KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 5:38pm
post #128 of 226

I would bet that the moisture in the cake would soften your gumpaste decorations on the cake. I always wait until I deliver the cake to lay any gum paste flowers, or other gum paste items on the cake.

In the case of the type of decorations we will get from the Cricut, I think they will be flat against the cake, and will easily be cut through.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 5:48pm
post #129 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

I would think you could eat it...I mean who is gonna stand there and peel all that stuff off.What a waste...Just mention it to the Bride when she is ordering that way if she is not satisfied she can change her mind about the gumpaste..But hey..me personally...The look of the cake would be worth it!!

The thing about gumpaste is that it's sugar content comes from the sap of a tree and it tastes terrible. That's why people eat fondant rather than gumpaste (not to mention the crunch factor -- some like crunchy, some don't.) I agree the look of the cake is amazing but I'm not convinced on the taste factor.

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 11:12pm
post #130 of 226

After watching these threads for a while and researching the different machines, I did decide on the Silhouette SD and it finally arrived! I did dl the program that goes with it in advance, so had already familiarized myself with how to set things up. The biggest learning curve was getting the gumpaste the right thickness and dry enough to run thru! worked on that a bit today with SUCCESS after a number of tries! What I did was start with a setting, run some gumpaste thru then keep adjusting the settings....did this about 5 times till I got a consistent cut without pulling the gumpaste or cutting the carrier sheet! BTW, I'm using the plastic sheets I got at Walmart...they are like mini file folders....cut them up and have about 10 sheets of plastic for pennies each. I can also cut these plastic sheets to make stencils for my airbrush! No more hand cutting with an exacto knife! So the machine will serve double duty for me!

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 8:48pm
post #131 of 226

I wanted to post to this forum to tell all of you that I know you are excited about your Cricuts and being able to cut gumpaste designs with them. I also know that you are frustrated with the problems posting photos into these forums to show off your Cricut accomplishments.

But, I would like to ask that you please do not post these photos to the templates gallery. These Cricut cut-out photos are not templates that are usable by other members. If you use the cut-outs on a cake then you can load the photo as an additional photo to that cake. At this time we just don't have a gallery for this type of thing and the template gallery would soon be overcome by the great variety of Cricut cut-outs that can be made. Try to keep in mind that the galleries are for decorated cakes and cookies only and that the Templates, Sketches and Patterns gallery is for pictures that other members can transfer to their own cakes.

ATCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ATCakes Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:47am
post #132 of 226

Hey all!! I have success with my first Cricut cake design!! It took a little trial and error but I got it. I used Fondx with a little Tylose and it worked great. I can't wait to do another one!
LL
LL

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:53pm
post #133 of 226

Sorry to bring this up again, but has anyone had a chance to serve & or eat a piece of cake with the gumpaste cut out on it?
Just ordered the DVD & waiting for the Cricut Personal to go on sale Sat @ JoAnns.

cjshoemake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cjshoemake Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 5:43pm
post #134 of 226

I finally received my deep blade and housing. I had to order it on ebay b.c Joann's and Michaels were always out. I actually only bought it for $15 with free shipping. It is $30 at both the other stores. Anyway, here is a pic of some of my successful cuts!! YIPPEE!!! FINALLY!!!! Thanks again PTANYER!!

Joann's has the cricut on sale this week again!
LL

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 9:32pm
post #135 of 226

To all the Cricut fans!! Joannes will have the Cricut Personal Electronic Cutter on sale (for $99.96) this coming weekend Aug 7-9...
I don't have a Cricut and my first impulse was to go buy it, but after reading this whole thread now I can't decide icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif Can anyone please give me some input about which one to buy?? and no, i'm not a professional and caking is my hobby, but I'd like to be able to cut my own designs, is that possible with this cutter??

Ok, thank you to all!!!

cavette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cavette Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 10:49pm
post #136 of 226

you can use the personal to cut your own designs only if you purchase the SCAL program....... If you just do small designs the personal cricut is Fine..... the only thing that is truly different in the cricuts are the sizes they cut and with the expression you can change the needle house to the deep blade. I went ahead and puchased the expression cause I do alot of crafts and plus my mom was like you might as well get it. It's truly up to you but they are both great products and that's a great deal......dont think you can go wrong if you purphase the personal.......

Rosie2 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 11:18pm
post #137 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavette

you can use the personal to cut your own designs only if you purchase the SCAL program....... If you just do small designs the personal cricut is Fine..... the only thing that is truly different in the cricuts are the sizes they cut and with the expression you can change the needle house to the deep blade. I went ahead and puchased the expression cause I do alot of crafts and plus my mom was like you might as well get it. It's truly up to you but they are both great products and that's a great deal......dont think you can go wrong if you purphase the personal.......

Ahhh, thank you very much Cavette, I appreciate your input!! yeah, I know the sale price of the Cricut is a great deal!!
Do you know if the SCAL program is too expensive? you think I can find it at Joannes?
I can't wait for Friday! icon_biggrin.gif

cavette Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 2:54am
post #138 of 226

The scal program runs about 75.00 dollars or so and you have to get it online at craftedge.com or you can just type in sure cuts alot.com and you can get it there. i have the program and I really love it. I found a font that you can cut candy boxes and cookie boxes on you cricut without buying the cartridge...... it was just a $10.00 donation awesome price and it has 52 different boxes you can cut in all different sizes........ so be sure to check that out..... I'm not sure of the web-site you can go to obsessed with scrapbooking and she has the link!

cavette Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 3:03am
post #139 of 226

if you go to obsessed with scrapbooking you have to go to the section that reads Cricut Projects.... then select boxes made using cricut.....

jewelzbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelzbakescakes Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 5:01am
post #140 of 226

From the website below it appears that only the 'Cricut Wishblade' is compatible with MAC computers. Does anyone use the cricut with a mac or does anyone here have the Wishblade version?

http://www.paperthreads.com/bonus/paperthreads_machine_compare_112008.html

Rosie2 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 5:55am
post #141 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavette

if you go to obsessed with scrapbooking you have to go to the section that reads Cricut Projects.... then select boxes made using cricut.....

Ahhhh, thank you very much Cavette, I will definitelly check it out.
Thanks a million!!!

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:58pm
post #142 of 226

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I have a question re SCAL.
If I'm not reading incorrectly, the website states that version 2 can only be downloaded using Windows? I have a Mac. Does this mean I can only download version 1? What's the difference btw the 2 versions?

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 1:38pm
post #143 of 226

at the moment version 2 is only for windows users, version 2 for macs will be released later this year I believe.

I ordered version 1 and 2 days later came across the post about version 2 so I upgraded, so I really don't know what all the differences are. One difference is tracing tool which is something I have used and like. It seems like there are a few more bells and whistles and a few upgrades on existing features.

cjshoemake Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 2:14am
post #144 of 226

HI Guys,
I need your help! I am trying to put import a SVG photo into SCAL. I have reformated the picture into SVG and when I am in SCAL, I hit import SVG, I pick the picture and hit open and then it goes to the SCAL page as it would if the picture did download. When I go to the page though, My image is not there. I have tried this over and over again. I really need to cut some scroll work out for my cake for tomorrow. Any help would be great. Thanks

p.s. I have SCAL 2. I just got it today.

cavette Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 2:44am
post #145 of 226

You Should go check out Svgcuts.com..... There are alot of helpful videos about SCAL... When you get to the site go to his blogs and there are helpful info on there! hope that helps

cjshoemake Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 2:56am
post #146 of 226

thanks, I will check it out! I am desperate right now. I thought that maybe it was my file that was bad to so I just tried to import another picture that I converted and it is still not doing it.

cjshoemake Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 12:38pm
post #147 of 226

ok, I contacted svgcuts and he wanted to see some of the pics that I was trying to use. this is the email that he sent me back. Apparently I am doing something wrong when I try to convert it into SVG. I thought I was following the directions. I guess not!

Hi Cindy,

It looks like someone tried to create an SVG file by simply opening a bmp or JPEG file and saving it as an SVG file or taking a bmp or jpeg file and embedding it inside of an SVG file. None of those methods will work. There is nothing I can do to help you with these files.

You are right, there is nothing in this file. What type of elements are you looking for?

Leo
SVGCuts

any suggestions? I was following the directions on SVG factory. It said successfully saved. ??????? icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

cjshoemake Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 1:33pm
post #148 of 226

WOO HOO!!! I finally did it!! icon_biggrin.gif I was able to convert my jpeg into svg and import it on SCAL!!! Yea! I did it with several pics so I know it was not a fluke! icon_razz.gif
This link saved me!
Check it out, some GREAT video tutorials!!!
http://scrappydew.com/tutorials/files/category-inkscape-tutorial.html

My day is starting off good, hopefully it stays that way. Yesterday was a wasted day trying to figure that thing out!

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:00pm
post #149 of 226

I was having the same problem, note to others there is a "how to" on one of the sites (sorry I forget which one, I think it might be the main SCAL site) and it skips a step or two. the link that cjshoemake posted is the one we found and the guys directions are spot on, and with it being a video tutorial it's super easy to follow.

I'll post pics tomorrow of the cake I'm doing using my cricut whooooooooo all my playing now gets put into reality icon_smile.gif

Rosie2 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 5:13pm
post #150 of 226

Thank you for putting updates girls, I am practically 'flying' icon_biggrin.gif to Joannes today, after work, to purchase my Cricut icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif
Dutchy, can you please tell me which Cricut do you have?? I am buying the small one that says Cricut Personal Cutter. I really hope I can cut small letters since I like to make cookies and I want to be able to put messages on them...I hope! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%