My Cricut Success With Gumpaste

Decorating By Jenn2179 Updated 19 Oct 2010 , 4:29pm by cloetzu

cjshoemake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cjshoemake Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 1:04am
post #61 of 226

I am posting a pic of how all of my cuts are coming out on the cricut expression. The cutter is set at 6. The gumpaste set out to dry some and it was rolled out to a #1 in the clay/pasta machine from michaels. I darkened the picture a little hoping so show more detail on it. I hope you can see it.

THANK YOU!!!!
LL

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 1:28am
post #62 of 226

cjshoemake - maybe your gumpaste is too thin. I can see the lines of your mat underneath it. Are you using straight gumpaste or a combo of fondant and gumpaste?

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 1:33am
post #63 of 226

cjshoemake - go to the bottom of page 1 in this strand. Kiddiekakes has suggestions for blade, pressure, and speed. Not sure if you saw this. Hope it helps along with others' suggestions.

cjshoemake Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 1:41am
post #64 of 226

guys, sorry for all the multiple posts!!! I have been having severe issues with CC. It keeps saying link not valid or whatever else.

yes, I saw the settings, I tried it.

ptanyer- I thought the gumpaste had to be set on a 1 (or a really thin setting) to make it able to go through it. As it is, my #6 knife setting isnt cutting through it sometimes. I know this will be great once I do master it. I didn't think it would be this difficult though. icon_cry.gif

Does everyone have the normal knife green metal tube holder thingy? icon_redface.gif I know someone mentioned a deep housing something or other icon_confused.gif

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 11:54am
post #65 of 226

I got it to cut with the basic blade but have been using the deep housing blade. To me it looks like your gumpaste is to sticky. Or it looks like the blade isn't long enough. Did you try to increase the pressure. When it wasn't cutting all the way through I increased the presure to a 2. I know you are frustrated, I worked with it for about 6 hours the other day. Am still having problems. It's just a lot of trial and error.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 12:17pm
post #66 of 226

We seem to have a few experts on those machines here. Please teach me -

What's the difference between a cricut and a sizzix?

Thanks -

Theresa icon_smile.gif

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 2:56pm
post #67 of 226

I am also trying to figure out which machine is the best investment. Understandably the Cricut Expression is top of the line, but the others might do the same job, but not sure.

Do you need to order the extra deep blade cutter? Also, what about extra matts?

I have yet to see someone answer the question about using it for gumpaste and still use it for scrapbooking. Can it be used for both or just one or the other. Does it have a way to install edible inks?

So, my big question is, which Cricut machine is the most economical investment and what if any attachments should be ordered?

Do I need to order a cartridge or can I use the machine by downloading from the internet?

Thank you if you are able to help answer these questions.

A few have stated that there is already a thread on this subject, but in searching for it I am having trouble finding which thread, so if you could give a link, it would be very much appreciated. icon_wink.gif

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 3:17pm
post #68 of 226

cjshoemake - I'm working with the Silhouette SD, but my first cuts looked like that. The blade cap was dragging in the paste - I'd say you need more blade exposed. I'm finding that I need a good blade exposure, a slow speed, and a fairly light pressure. I have also found that a medium-thin paste is better - too thin makes it hard to lift the intricate patterns off the mat.

cjshoemake Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 3:52pm
post #69 of 226

thanks guys for all your input! I am going to go today and buy the deep blade and housing. This seems like it may be the culprit. I have it set on the deepest setting right now and it is not enough. It drags on the GP. I even tried to make the GP thin enough that it is transparent and it still did it. So I will let you guys know what kind of success I have after I try the new blade. Like they say, LOTS OF TRIAL AND ERRORSSSSS!! icon_biggrin.gif It is a good thing though that you can just ball it up and start again!! thumbs_up.gif

ATCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ATCakes Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 4:56pm
post #70 of 226

I just won an Expression on Ebay and ordered the DVD. The next question I have is do I need to get both the Cricut Design software and SCAL? Or is SCAL better?

Thanks

Amy

cjshoemake Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 5:12pm
post #71 of 226

from what I am understanding is that you do not need the design software from Cricut. SCAL is the only software system that you need and they do free updates periodically. you can also create your own designs on the SCAL.

please, if I am incorrect on all of this, someone please correct me. I am ordering the SCAL from Ebay.

ptanyer Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 9:12pm
post #72 of 226

If you are going to use SCAL, you must have the Design Studio for the Cricut, whether it be the trial version or the full version you pay for. Once you have the Cricut connected to your computer you will need to update the firmware for the Cricut before you can cut things from Design Studio or SCAl. You do that by opening Design Studio and updating. Either version will work.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 3:34am
post #73 of 226

This week Michaels have a sale for the expression machine and the cartridges too..

Edna icon_smile.gif

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 4:38am
post #74 of 226

I think I'm in love icon_smile.gif

I bought my cricut last week not had a chance to play with it yet, had my honey see if he could install all the stuff and get me going with ease, no luck getting it to work. We were away all weekend, just got back, so thought give it another go. Seems we picked up the wrong instructions from SCAL site on making your own svg files, we found the right ones tonight somewhere else. I know have my lovely coach stencil ready to use this weekend. No more cartridges for me ( I bought 3 last week on sale at Michael's) This thing is gonna be so great. Not tried my gumpaste yet, hopefully this week I can get to it. Thank you ladies for all the input

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 12:20pm
post #75 of 226

I found an older version of SCAL online - and we cut some simple things with it yesterday, I do not have the design studio on my computer, how was I able to cut those desgins without using the design studio?

Will having the design studio make it easier to import things to the cricut? I am confused - as to why I need the D/S software to use SCAL? (and am very thankful for those who are willing to explain this to me!)

Jenn2179 Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 12:37pm
post #76 of 226

You do not need to pay for design studio. I got the trial version for free to make sure all my stuff is up to date.

ptanyer Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 12:41pm
post #77 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I found an older version of SCAL online - and we cut some simple things with it yesterday, I do not have the design studio on my computer, how was I able to cut those desgins without using the design studio?

Will having the design studio make it easier to import things to the cricut? I am confused - as to why I need the D/S software to use SCAL? (and am very thankful for those who are willing to explain this to me!)

My understanding is that you only need the Design Studio software in order to update the firmware on the Cricut. That's all. Maybe since you were using an older version of SCAL, it worked with the firmware version already on the Cricut. That update is the only reason you need the Design Studio. If you are using the most up to date version of SCAL, then you would need to update the Cricut.

You don't have to buy a full version of Design Studio to do the update, the free trial version will do it as well.

Hope that helps icon_smile.gif

cjshoemake Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 12:55pm
post #78 of 226

PTANYER ROCKS!!! icon_biggrin.gif Thanks for all of your help! I was able to cut out regular paper images with my cricut so I know that it is working fine. I am going out today to get the deep blade and then play with it. Hopefully that will work and I will stop bugging you icon_smile.gif
i will let you know one way or the other how things go!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 2:26pm
post #79 of 226

Thank you ptayner......you explained it well! I wish all of the cricut posts were in one spot - sure would help keep things in order for me....

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 2:45pm
post #80 of 226

Ladies they are on sale at Joann.com http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat2005 . Thought you might like to know.

I noticed a Cuttlebug in the machines. What is it & has anyone ever used one?

xinue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xinue Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 2:49pm
post #81 of 226

Hey ladies!
I live outside the US and I'm going on vacation next month. I´m planing on buying the cricut expression, I understand I need a deep cutting blade for it to cut gp. Am I right?
What else do I need??
thank you!

Jenn2179 Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 3:08pm
post #82 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by xinue

Hey ladies!
I live outside the US and I'm going on vacation next month. I´m planing on buying the cricut expression, I understand I need a deep cutting blade for it to cut gp. Am I right?
What else do I need??
thank you!

I would buy an extra set of cutting mats and any cartridges you want.

ptanyer Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 3:12pm
post #83 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

Thank you ptayner......you explained it well! I wish all of the cricut posts were in one spot - sure would help keep things in order for me....

I do too! There are at least three threads total running right now about the Cricut. Wondering if we could start a thread like "Cricut - everything you always wanted to know and more" icon_wink.gif

Have a great day!
Pam

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 8:10pm
post #84 of 226

I decided to look at walmart while running errans today & they had 3. Has someone mentioned The Cricut Create Personal Electronic Cutter? But Walmart has pretty good prices & cheap shipping if you don't have a Walmart. http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_constraint=0&ic=48_0&search_query=cricut&Find.x=0&Find.y=0&Find=Find

cjshoemake Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 9:08pm
post #85 of 226

Does anyone know or can someone please see if the deep blade will fit and work properly in the regular housing that came with the Cricut expression please? I was at joann's today to purchase the deep blade and housing and they were out of the housing. I didnt get just the blade, I figured I would just get them both at the same time. I just read on Walmart.com that you do not need the different housing that it works in the regular housing. Does anyone know if this is true?

ptanyer Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 11:37pm
post #86 of 226

Did you check the Cricut.com forums?

ATCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ATCakes Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 2:22am
post #87 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjshoemake

Does anyone know or can someone please see if the deep blade will fit and work properly in the regular housing that came with the Cricut expression please? I was at joann's today to purchase the deep blade and housing and they were out of the housing. I didnt get just the blade, I figured I would just get them both at the same time. I just read on Walmart.com that you do not need the different housing that it works in the regular housing. Does anyone know if this is true?

According to Linda's video, she uses the deep blade housing.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 3:24am
post #88 of 226

Can you buy the deep blade housing seperate? How much does it cost?

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 5:54am
post #89 of 226

It was hard to find the deep cutting unit where I live. I finally found one at Hobby Lobby last week. Iit wasn't on sale. I think I paid around $29 for one.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 11:10am
post #90 of 226

I'm looking at the SCAL product. Least expensive I'm found is $69.95. Does that sound right?
Also what are these add ons for - Fonts for SCAL, Artwork for SCAL and Content Sampler for SCAL?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%