My Cricut Success With Gumpaste

Decorating By Jenn2179 Updated 19 Oct 2010 , 4:29pm by cloetzu

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 12:32pm
post #91 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I'm looking at the SCAL product. Least expensive I'm found is $69.95. Does that sound right?
Also what are these add ons for - Fonts for SCAL, Artwork for SCAL and Content Sampler for SCAL?

I got mine on Ebay for about $60 with free shipping and it included the USB cable, and a link to private members only webpage that has links to free fonts, free images, etc. It appears that the people selling the SCAL on Ebay are giving you links to different things that can be used with SCAL. You could probably find all these same things yourself, but it would take a lot of time and they have already done the work for you. But read each ad carefully, because each seller has many different packages offered. If in doubt, send the seller a question about what they are offering.

HTH's.

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 1:00pm
post #92 of 226
Quote:

I'm looking at the SCAL product. Least expensive I'm found is $69.95. Does that sound right?
Also what are these add ons for - Fonts for SCAL, Artwork for SCAL and Content Sampler for SCAL?

I don't know what those are but you can get free fonts all over the internet so I wouldn't pay for any. You can get free svg files lots of places too so I wouldn't pay for any. You can also create your own artwork. I have done 2 cakes this past week using the cricut and I designed my own artwork and turned them into svg files using inkscape. I imported them into SCAL and cut away.

cjshoemake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cjshoemake Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 1:49pm
post #93 of 226

JENN, can we see pics of your cricut cakes? so what settings was your cricut set to? and did you use the deep blade AND housing?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 2:11pm
post #94 of 226

Two words.

Edible. Paper.

Dude! I'm making these delicate flowers that are quite literally paper thin.

Next test = icing sheets.

live2create Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
live2create Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 2:27pm
post #95 of 226

For those of you who are looking at the Circut, check out JoAnn Fabric flyer this week, the Expression is on sale for 250. Great Price I am off to purchase on tonight. I can not wait.

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 2:29pm
post #96 of 226

pressure = 2
speed = 4
deep cutting blade and housing = 4

I have been using fondant with tylose added. I place on mat and let sit for 5 minutes before cutting.

I couldn't get the pictures to upload in this post so here are the links to them.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1419039

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1418422

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 2:33pm
post #97 of 226

Overstock has a sale right now on both the Silhouette machines.... This is the one I got off of Ebay and am awaiting its arrival tomorrow! Prices on Ebay were averaging right around the $165 price range, some going to the $200 mark, and one luck buyer got one for $72!

At the $169 price range, it would actually be cheaper than the smaller Cricut when you factor in the extra software you have to buy to use your own designs.

http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewing/Quickutz-Silhouette-SD-Digital-Craft-Cutter-25-Gift-Card/3912166/product.html?CID=144236&fp=f&TRACK=emailcusts&ecd=O_DOD

ptanyer Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 6:04pm
post #98 of 226
Quote:

Two words.

Edible. Paper.

Dude! I'm making these delicate flowers that are quite literally paper thin.

Next test = icing sheets.

Leahs, do you have any photos of the flowers you are cutting out? I would love to see them (and I'm sure everyone else would like to as well) icon_smile.gif

Did you following the basic procedure for cutting out fondant/gumpaste on the Cricut but used the edible paper?

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 6:06pm
post #99 of 226

Would the SCAL work with the Silhouette machine? Am I right when thinking SCAL is a computer program that has designs, letters, numbers, etc? Or is it something you pay for that gives you internet links that have free downloads?

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 11:07pm
post #100 of 226

love my cricut.. I put frosting sheets through mine all the time. I have some of the coolest fonts. I have the sure cuts a lot program and i download images like mad. I get all the free fonts online.
i print a floral, paisley design on the sheets and then put the on my cricut.
it makes some of the fanciest lettering that way any color style. I love it

cavette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cavette Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 11:56pm
post #101 of 226

You can order the deep cut blade at customcrops.com for 19.99 and most of the cartridges are around $34.99 that's a great deal!

(Leahs) ........ I paid about that much for my SCAL program as far as the fonts for SCAL you can go to svgcuts.com and he will answer any questions you many have about the program..... just go to his blogspot on the web-site..... he has helped me alot! Hope that helps

nesweetcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nesweetcake Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 12:37am
post #102 of 226

Does anyone have the Cricut Design Studio and is it similar to the SCAL? Which is better, or do you need both? Any benefit to having the Design Studio? I saw tonight Wally World had Design Studio on sale for $49. Any input on this? Thanks in advance.

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 2:02am
post #103 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleD

love my cricut.. I put frosting sheets through mine all the time. I have some of the coolest fonts. I have the sure cuts a lot program and i download images like mad. I get all the free fonts online.
i print a floral, paisley design on the sheets and then put the on my cricut.
it makes some of the fanciest lettering that way any color style. I love it

That's a great idea! Do you leave the backing sheet? Also, if you don't mind sharing, what depth/speed do you use? TIA!

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 2:09am
post #104 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesweetcake

Does anyone have the Cricut Design Studio and is it similar to the SCAL? Which is better, or do you need both? Any benefit to having the Design Studio? I saw tonight Wally World had Design Studio on sale for $49. Any input on this? Thanks in advance.

With the DS you MUST have cartridges. With SCAL you can use svg files that you can download from hundreds of places for free. HOWEVER, you have to have the latest firmware installed on your Cricut to use SCAL. In order to update the firmware you have to download the FREE TRIAL VERSION of DS from the Cricut site. Once you update the firmware using the free version of DS, you are all set to get SCAL and use it with your Cricut. Hope that made sense icon_smile.gif.

tmr137 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmr137 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 2:10am
post #105 of 226

Nesweetcake. I am waiting for the Design Studio software from ohmycrafts.com. It's 39.99 right now plus they have a 15% of coupon (july15).

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 2:43am
post #106 of 226

Just to let you all know, even though the sale going on at JoAnn's right now is really good, you can buy a cricut expressions on ebay for the same $250 and it comes with 2 cartridges plus a mini spatula or tool kit. Plus you don't pay for shipping or taxes! I looked on Amazon, HSN, Overstock, different scrapbooking sites and ebay was by far the best deal!!! Also on cartridges, they sell on average for $25 and again, NO tax or shipping!!! icon_smile.gif That's were I got mine!!!

nesweetcake Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 3:07am
post #107 of 226

Thanks rezzygirl!! Helps alot. One more question.....is there really any benefit to purchasing the Design Studio? I do already have several cartridges but will be nice not to have to spend $ on more cartridges with SCAL.

Thanks tmr too! I'll have to check into that!

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 3:29am
post #108 of 226

I have a question the mat with the Cricut is sticky what do you do to it so your gum pasted dosen't stick to it or do you do anything to it

Molly

treschic-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
treschic-cakes Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 3:48am
post #109 of 226

Just to let everyone know...SCAL just released a new version for Windows. You should be looking for Version 2.0 now. If you haven't purchased SCAL yet, candacraft.com has the best price I've seen at $59.99. If you have already purchased it, you can go to craftedge.com and get the upgrade for $30 for a limited time. If you purchased yours after June 22, supposedly you can e-mail the folks at craftedge and get the update for free. (I just missed this by a week!)
This new version has a trace feature so that you won't necessarily need to use inkscape, and the new grouping feature will come in handy, too.

sister340 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sister340 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 1:51pm
post #110 of 226

What model are you guys using? Personal size or Expression? If the smaller one is okay, I want to get that one, but I don't want to be sorry because it is to small.

I just ordered the DVD by Linda McClure, can't wait to figure this out.

jn

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 2:10pm
post #111 of 226

Sister340..I think it depends how big you want to make things.I bought the personal size as I just didn't want to spend the money on the Expressions at nearly $400.00 here in Canada..I bought mine on sale at Michael's for $129.00..The only difference I think is the expressions can cut up to 24 inch wide pieces and the personal cuts 12 inches.They both will do the same things with maybe a few extra features from the larger machine.

nesweetcake Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 2:31pm
post #112 of 226

For those of you saving your pennies, last year day after Thanksgiving, Wally World had the expression for $199. If not purchasing right away, keep an eye out for those black Friday sales!

sjmoral Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjmoral Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 2:57pm
post #113 of 226

Has anyone tried this with the Big Shot? I might try it!!!!!

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 8:44pm
post #114 of 226

I GOT A CRICUT TODAY!!!!! icon_lol.gif Sooo excited!

EXCEPT, I had to FIGHT to get it at Joanns!

I was an hour away from home today at a doctor's appointment and remembered that they had the sale at Joanns so I thought I'd go pick up the personal cricut because I think it's plenty big enough for me right now. We don't have a Joanns in my town, so this was my only shot. Anyhoo, I went shortly after they opened and didn't see any signs or anything that said they were on sale. icon_confused.gif So I asked an employee and she said no we only have the bigger one for $249 (which they didn't even have in the store as far as I could tell). Ummmm, what? So I went down the street to the store where my husband was and b****ed for a minute and went back to Joanns and asked for a manager. Manager said, I'm sorry we have to go by what they ring up, can't override, etc. We can't get on the internet to look, blah, blah, blah. So I left. Peeved. I called back a little later and asked for the district manager's number. The "manager" that I spoke with a little earlier said she couldn't give it to me!!! icon_mad.gif She said I had to speak with the manager first and she didn't get there until 1:00. So I said, "you mean earlier, when I asked to speak with the manager and you came to help, you're telling me you're not the manager?" She said nope...just a keyholder. Anyway, I call the store at about 10 after 1 and the manager wasn't there yet...apparently she runs late quite often. So, we were done with our errands and my doc appt. so we decided just to go to Joanns and wait it out. As soon as I walked in, the keyholder said that the manager told her to honor the 149.99 price. Showed her how to override it as a "competitors" price. So, what they should've just done at 9:30 am took until 1:30 pm to complete. It seems that the keyholder was probably new and truly didn't know what to do.

But, I got my Cricut. That's all that counts!!!!

ATCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ATCakes Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 9:32pm
post #115 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn2179

pressure = 2
speed = 4
deep cutting blade and housing = 4

I have been using fondant with tylose added. I place on mat and let sit for 5 minutes before cutting.

I couldn't get the pictures to upload in this post so here are the links to them.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1419039

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1418422

Jenn
I have 2 questions:

How much tylose do you add to the fondant & how thin do you roll it out? I was wondering about using fondant

cjshoemake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cjshoemake Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 12:49am
post #116 of 226

FYI- I just bought the deep housing & blade from ebay for $15.49, free shipping.

jonahsmom Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 12:41pm
post #117 of 226

Okay, I think this has been asked, but I didn't see an answer. Forgive me if there is already an answer for this. I just got my cricut yesterday and played with it last night. Ended up frustrated. But I know I'll get it! Trial and error....that's all!

Anywhich, those of you using the cricut with gumpaste.....are you instructing people to take those decorations off before cutting. I know gumpaste dries rock solid so I was a little concerned about that.

Also, the blade has been cutting into my mat. Right now I'm just using the regular blade. I'll be getting the deep cutting blade hopefully this weekend to actually use it on gumpaste. I tried and it just moved it and tore. I figure it's because of the blade. Is that something that's just going to happen sometimes? I mean, the mats show up as "consumables" on the cricut website, so I'm assuming that they're just gonna get cut up and worn out and you'll have to get new ones.

Thanks!

ptanyer Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 1:19pm
post #118 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahsmom

Okay, I think this has been asked, but I didn't see an answer. Forgive me if there is already an answer for this. I just got my cricut yesterday and played with it last night. Ended up frustrated. But I know I'll get it! Trial and error....that's all!

Anywhich, those of you using the cricut with gumpaste.....are you instructing people to take those decorations off before cutting. I know gumpaste dries rock solid so I was a little concerned about that.

Also, the blade has been cutting into my mat. Right now I'm just using the regular blade. I'll be getting the deep cutting blade hopefully this weekend to actually use it on gumpaste. I tried and it just moved it and tore. I figure it's because of the blade. Is that something that's just going to happen sometimes? I mean, the mats show up as "consumables" on the cricut website, so I'm assuming that they're just gonna get cut up and worn out and you'll have to get new ones.

Thanks!

Yes, the blade will scratch up your mat and at some future point you will need to replace it. The blades are sharp and the more pressure and depth you use will leave cuts and scratches. Depending on how much use the mat gets will determine how long the mat will last. That's why it is considered a consumable. It's too bad that Provocraft didn't design the mat to be a self-healing mat.

I highly suggest that anyone that wants to use the Cricut for cutting gumpaste visit the Cricut forums and read, read, read. There is a lot of info available there, and can answer alot of questions.

Now I know that this is going to sound strange, but I suggest that when you start cutting with your Cricut - try it with paper first so you can see the actual cutting and what the cuts will look like. Then use a prepared mat for fondant/gumpaste and compare them. Another thing would be to hold a flash light and shine it inside the Cricut when it is cutting fondant/gumpaste and look at how it is cutting. If you see it messing up, then push the stop button, unload the mat and remove the torn up portion, re-load the mat and reposition the cutting blade and try again with different settings to see if it changes the way the blade is cutting your design.

HTH's.
Pam

jonahsmom Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 4:08pm
post #119 of 226

Okay, that answers the question about the mat. Which common sense told me, but thought I'd check. And I've read all of the forums and searched for the answer to my other question, but I still would like to know how those of you who have successfully used the cricut for gumpaste go about cutting the cake.

Do you just let people know to take off the gumpaste decorations (like all those scrolls, etc on the sides of the cake). I know it's usual practice to tell them that whent there's other gumpaste decorations so common sense should lead me in the right direction with this question, too, but I just want to make sure my thinking is correct! icon_razz.gif It isn't always!! (Despite the fact that I would to think I'm 100% correct 100% of the time!) icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks again!!!

ptanyer Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 4:32pm
post #120 of 226

That's what I tell my customers. But I too wonder about cakes that are completely covered with a pattern like damask - they are basically gonna have to strip the cake of the decorations in order to cut and serve the cake? Wish someone had a video of cutting a cake covered with gumpaste decorations.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%