Weight Loss Help...with The Chunky Monkeys!

Lounge By TexasSugar Updated 28 Oct 2011 , 1:50pm by TexasSugar

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 6:36am
post #181 of 1590

Hello. I started back on NFNS diet- no flour no sugar . This diet has helped me plus exercise, pilates and swimmin, and walking.

Check with your dr or health care provider before starting any diet.

It is very strict but have lost 1-2 pounds a week. When I taste cake batter or icing I use a straw to taste it then spit out the rest.

I like the creative end of decorating cakes or making sugarpaste flowers or 3D but do not like to bake.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:39am
post #182 of 1590

Well I thought I was ready to post on here more regularly, but starting the new job really missed me up. Not eating wise but my time online. I officially started the new job on the 5, though I only worked that afternoon. I spent the rest of that week plus most of this week cleaning, cleaning and doing more cleaning. This meant alot of climbing a ladder, squating, stretching and just all around moving.

I also ate a simple breakfast every morning and usually a decent lunch most days. I'm still working on getting my eating more regular and healthier. I could have probably done better, but I certainly could have done worse.

My eating coupled with all the cleaning 'exercise' has me back in the 163s again. During my trip to the ICES convention I indulged alot and had gained weight, so I'm glad to be back where I was before and am hoping to work on losing more.

I did go to the store today to stock up on some more Lean Cuisine dinners. I also got some whole wheat english muffins as well as cinnamon raisin english muffins. I figure the whole wheat english muffins can be used for breakfast as well as 'bread' for my ham sandwhich meat I got. I got some vanilla yogurt and some fresh blueberries and strawberries to go in it, then some apples and oranges to add to my other meals or use as snacks.

I got my desk at the end of the first week, my chair and phone at the beginning of the second week and now I'm waiting on my new computer. When I get it I will really be able to settle in and find out what all they have for me to do over there. Hopefully the bulk of the cleaning is done. I pretty much did a major spring cleaning thing, and helped weed out things that really needed to go or needed a new home. I'll still have to sweep and empty trash cans during the week. I'll also use Saturday mornings to clean and dust around there, but primarily my job will be more of a desk job.

After I get my computer I'll be able to check in a little more often but I haven't forgotten my Chunky Monkey Sisters! I hope everyone is doing well and are on the right tracks for them. I'm working on finding the right path for me. I haven't given up yet.

HUGS!!

peacebear07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacebear07 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 9:26pm
post #183 of 1590

congrats texas sugar...sometimes being really busy is a good thing it keeps u from mindless snacking and keeps u moving ...the other problem is when u do get to eat it wont be something healthy but it seems your doing great which rocks...ive finally convinced my bf to strat his diet again with me and today we when to the park and walked... It was a real treat not only was the weather beautiful it was the same park where we went on a second date so lots of memories...im just glad that he's making an effort with me ....im excited its almost vacation time for us ...we are going to disney for four days but staying a week so im going to try and watch the portions i eat but to be honest i dont diet on vacation i know thats bad but sometimes you just need a break... at least i know im gonna be doing alot of walking .... anoher thing im excited about is i have 2 cakes for sure that im gonna do and ne involves a tiara icon_smile.gif ive never had a reason to make one and now since my sisters bday is soon i decided im gonna to use one on her cake...yay well im gonna go upload some new pics of 3 cakes i made ....be a happy monkey !!!!

TexasSugar Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 3:48am
post #184 of 1590

I weighed this evening and was at 162.8. It isn't an 'official weigh in' but it means I am down some. Yea!

floridagal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floridagal Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 7:46pm
post #185 of 1590

Hey everyone!
It's been forever since I've checked in. I kinda hit the wall for a while - I just wanted to eat and not exercise! I'm better now. I'm really losing weight again. But not the right way. I'm having a really rough time, with my marriage and finances. So I'm having a hard time eating. I've lost almost 10 pounds since last Tuesday. I'm trying to be sure I get my vitamins and I'm drinking orange juice for the potassium. I bought some bananas but the kids got to them first! I'm still trying to get some exercise in. The good news is that I'm under 200!!!!!!!!!! This morning I was at 196 3/4! I want to be so careful when I start eating again to not put any back on.
I hope you're all doing well and staying strong!

Melissa

TexasSugar Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 3:25am
post #186 of 1590

Hey Melissa. HUGS! Congrats on the weight lose, but becareful and make sure you go about it the right way. Not only for your health but to help you keep it offin the long run.

I just got back from Walmart, spent more money than I probably should have. I needed toliet paper and paper towels so that was a big chunk right there. But now I should be covered for a while. I bought fruit and salad stuff and veggies. I sat down this afternoon and loosely planned out some meals for the week. That way when I went shopping I was able to cross buy things to use several times.

I also picked up some popcorn and a couple of boxes of 100 calories snacks. I've been trying to eat more fruits and good for you stuff for snacks, but I wanted something a little sweet to have on hand too.

Plus I bought a new scale. Now I have no excuses for tracking my weight on a regular basis. Since my days are alot busier with work, I haven't even thought about exercise or walking. I guess I'd be smart to put some of those work out video's to use. I don't just sit at my desk all day yet, but I know there will be a point where I am sitting more when I have actual work to do.

Last week I worked 45 hours between Mon and Saturday, plus taught two nights and had two cakes to do. It was a very long week! I'll hoping this week I get more sleep. Which is probably what I should be thinking about now. I hope everyone has had a good weekend and has a good week coming up!

floridagal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floridagal Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 12:59pm
post #187 of 1590

Hey TexasSugar,
Thanks, I'm trying to be smart about eating. I've just been so depressed and the thought of eating makes me a little sick. I've been getting less than 1000 cals a day. I'm trying to make myself eat or drink something. I know that my appetite will come back and I want to be ready for it. So I'm exercising and I've got some good food on hand.
Congrats on the job! But be sure you take care of yourself, we always put ourselves last. Don't get so caught up in the every day stuff that you lose track of you! It sounds like you've got a good plan. I always have a plan, my problem is actually doing it!
We homeschool our kids and we're starting back today. This year we'll have a 6th grader, 5th grader, 1st grader and one in kindergarten. Plus I know our 4 year olds will want to do school - they always want to when they don't have to! I'm going to add nutrition to our curriculum and the kids are going to get to pick a healthy, easy, CHEAP meal to fix. So any suggestions? I'll let them look on line, in mags and in my cookbooks. But if ya'll have any favorites I would love to hear them.
Have a great day and take care of yourselves!
Melissa

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 3:09pm
post #188 of 1590

Congrats to everyone seeing progress and chin-ups to those who feel things are at a standstill!!!

I'm down a bit to 142, and I'm hoping to destroy those pesky two pounds. It's been difficult with family visiting and such. Never knew getting a new house would make everyone want to visit, lol.

Anyway, got a call from my doctor's office today. I had blood work done on Friday, and the results were in. The order was for my total thyroid (TSH, free t3, free t4, etc.) and my cholesterol (I was biting my nails for THIS result).

You see, August 2008 I had my cholesterol checked and my numbers were terrible!!! My total was 249, and I was only 26. But I was hoping that once my thyroid was under control, my numbers would get better.

So today I got the new number....164!!! I'm out of the woods!!! So, I'm MUCH healthier than I was last year. I'm down 35lbs, and my cholesterol is down 85 points. icon_biggrin.gif

TexasSugar Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 10:46pm
post #189 of 1590

Congrats Jade on the good numbers! Woo Hoo!

Melissa, I couldn't imagine teaching 5 kids a day. I thought once upon a time I wanted to be a Kindergarten teacher but quickly nixed that idea.

I'm so with you on having the good plan and not following through, but I'm trying hard this time. The biggest thing is that I have a set schedule now. I'm having to get up and eat breakfast than at eating lunch at a set time. Some days I eat snacks some days I don't but I always bring something with me.

Today, for lunch though, I didn't do so good. My brother's back is hurting him (work in the family business) and he is having trouble getting around, much less in and out of his truck. He asked if I would go get him some lunch and decided he wanted Whataburger. Well my good intentions turkey sandwich is still sitting in the fridge cause I knew if I had to smell fries on the way home I'd think about nothing but them for days until I went and got some. So tonight I'm having my sandwich with a salad.

On a good note though, I love the new scale. It said I weighed 160 this morning. Or course it could be cause my floors aren't perfectly level and that helped some how, but still I liked the number and I started the day off with a smile. I'm not sure if that is totally accurate, but atleast I can use it as a base number and keep track of my weight from it. I'm gonna keep the scale in the same place, so it shouldn't vary from what it is saying.

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 12:29pm
post #190 of 1590

It's been quite a while since I've posted, we went on vacation and I have just been enjoying the end of summer! I gained 4 on vacay but lost it quickly when we returned, I am still exercising and eating well but stuck around 167... My running seems to have gotten less efficient too, I'm not sure why? I am running a half marathon at the end of September and will probably take a small break from running to pursue other exercises.

Welcome heather! Pregnancy was evil to me the two times I went through it. It sounds like you are on the right track!! Your husband needs to eat well too, it is possible to eat well and gain, all that junk is bad for all of your cholesterol, blood pressure, etc... I hope you find lots of support here!!

Congrats TexasSugar on the loss!! It is good to be busy. icon_smile.gif Can you walk lunch times? I almost always exercise over lunch breaks...

Melissa, please be careful! I know you are happy about losing weight, but 10 lbs in a week is a lot, and if you are not eating your body will begin to think you are starving it and will hold onto fat....

Jade, congratulations on turning your life around!!!!!! That is awesome news about your bloodwork, and your weight of course!

TexasSugar Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 7:10pm
post #191 of 1590

Hey there Kat!! Glad to see how things are going for you. Maybe the running is like every other thing, your body gets use to it and ya need to change things up a bit to get it going in the right direction?

Up until this week I was doing good in the eating department. I didn't make it to the store and it has been downhill from there. I'm going to use the weekend to get back on track with the eating and prepared to do better next week.

I did see the magic number 158 on the scale last week. I say magic because that is the number I got to when I orginally lost 25 lbs several years ago. Now it is motivation to get under that number and see how much more I could lose.

I could walk at lunch, sorta. I work for a roofing company that is tucked in on a busy road so I can't really walk on the road. But I could walk beside it. Problem is that it is still pretty warm now so I'd be a little sweaty for the rest of the day. I do walk to work in the mornings, but I only live next door, hehe. icon_wink.gif

The watching what I have been eating was working, and I know that I could kick it up a little with some exercise. I have alot of things at home I can do, and access to a treadmill that is only 2 miles away. I just have to make myself do it. That's where the struggle is.

I hope everyone has a great weekend.

TexasSugar Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 7:09pm
post #192 of 1590

Where are all the Monkeys???

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 7:22pm
post #193 of 1590

I've been eating and eating and eating icon_sad.gif I've fallen and I can't get up.....

TexasSugar Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 7:25pm
post #194 of 1590

Oh Margie... Here is a big hug and a hand to help pull you up...

butternut Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 7:44pm
post #195 of 1590

Ahhh, thank you Tracy. I don't know what my problem is but somehow I've got to figure it out and do something about it. I'm running out of excuses as to why I can't stay on track. They are starting to sound really stupid... icon_rolleyes.gif I look like crap and I feel like crap. No one to blame but myself........... I haven't felt "worthy" of being on the forum for a while so I've stayed away. Once I get myself straightened out, I'll be back. I know I can do this, just got to find my determination and dedication.

TexasSugar Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 6:31pm
post #196 of 1590

I totally understand. All of us have fallen off the wagon many of times, if we hadn't we'd all be at our goal weight and sticking there.

Last week was bad eating for me. I was telling my mom that I had to get back on track and she was like what did you eat. When I started listed the fast food places I had eaten and realised how long the list actually was I was like I know better. But knowing what you have to do to lose weight and doing it aren't the same.

My motivation right now is that people have commented on me losing weight. I'm not sure if they are just seeing me in clothes that fit well or if I really have lost enough to show, but hey, it helps when people notice. So far this week I haven't had any fast food and I'm hoping to keep it that way. Or if I do give in and get some it is only once and not over and over.

I have good for me stuff to eat at home, I just need to plan out meals and follow through. I probably should get back to writing it all down again. Even though it is a bit of a hassle it does seem to keep me in check more.

I'll be here when you are ready to return, but remember don't stay away completely. Sometimes the motivation we need is here in this thread.

Kay_NL Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 1:54pm
post #197 of 1590

Margie, Tracy, and everyone else! Lets make a pact to STAY ON TRACK!!

I am embarrassed to report that my weight has somehow creeped up to 175. icon_sad.gif I have been omitting bad eating from my journal and not exercising nearly as much as I should be! I am re-starting (again) today...

Here's wishing us all great success and motivation to keep on the right track, and be honest with ourselves when we are off the track so that we can jump right back on!! icon_smile.gif

EnjoyTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnjoyTheCake Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 3:25am
post #198 of 1590

OMG I found you guys again and my ticker broke!

I'll have to catch up on the read and post updates for now... i'm here again.

TexasSugar Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 6:02pm
post #199 of 1590

Katherine, I am with you!

While I'm doing pretty well on the eating, I'm not exercising at all. Though I will say that at work I am driving everyone crazy (Family Business) because I won't use the intercome system to tell them they have a phone call. I get up and walk out to the shop to let them know. I figure that even though I'm doing desk work now it doesn't mean I have to be stuck behind one all the time.

I do need a better plan for food. Actually I need to follow through with my meal plans. I keep buying healthy stuff, but when it comes time to cook I keep putting it off. On Sunday I bought chicken to grind and make chicken meatballs and chicken taco meat. The chicken is still whole in the fridge. Sigh!

I've been doing the full time job with the classes at night for over a month now. I thought it would get easier but most days I go home and am just wiped out! Next week I have two classes during the week, plus I'm doing a wedding cake for Saturday and I have a demo at the store Saturday afternoon. I just want to get past that, and I will take the time to sit down with myself and make my plans and try really hard to stick with them.

Right now I'm hanging on in the 169s. Which is approvement for me, but I want to start seeing smaller numbers again.

HUGS Monkeys!!

Welcome back Deb! I've missed the ya!

butternut Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 4:34pm
post #200 of 1590

Hello all my chunky monkey friends. Hope everyone had a great week-end. Before I forget, has anyone else on here tried the Truvia sugar substitute? I have tried it this past week and it's pretty good. I was using Equal but because of so much controversy, I decided to stop using it. I tried goind cold turkey with NO sugar substitute and no sugar but didn't do too well with that. Truvia is pretty new but so far it's got favorable reviews. Just thought I would share.
So, how is everyone doing????? I'm back on track and more determined than ever to stay with a better eating lifestyle and get down to where I need to be. I believe firmly that I am now in the right frame of mind and nothing will stop me!!!! YAY!!!! I'm finally there....... Katherine and Tracy, it looks like we are all right in the same weight range. I started at an all time high this past Wednesday of icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_cry.gif 175. Yep, I gained like crazy over the past 6 weeks. Anyway, I've dropped 6 lbs since Wednesday so I'm at 169 this morning. I'm eating right around 1200 calories a day and trying to fit in the exercise as best I can. Got a couple injuries I'm working around but I'm not going to let that stop me. Just have to figure out a plan with certain limitations in some areas. But I'll figure it all out.
So, what do you guys think about having a certain weigh in day each week and posting our results? I think I need to account to someone each week. Good or not so good. I also like the idea of challenging each other.
OK, this thing is jumping around like crazy and I can't see what I"m typing. I'll get back on later and maybe we can come up with a way to really motivate each other. Meantime any suggestions??

TexasSugar Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 6:50pm
post #201 of 1590

Margie!! icon_smile.gif

I'm totally fine with a weigh in day, as long as we make it mid to late week. I'm always up at the beginning of the week and lower at the end. icon_wink.gif

I'm ready to get this wedding cake over this weekend so I can really focus on what I need to do. All I can think about right now is how I have alot to do this week and not alot of time to do it in.

I know I have so got to plan out meals and follow through with the plan. Plus I know I have to make myself exercise, weither it be walking or other stuff. And I know that doing both of those will help me. I'm ready to work my way down the 150's.

We can do it!!

butternut Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 1:49pm
post #202 of 1590

OK, how bout we have a weigh in right smack in the middle of the week? Wednesdays sound good to me, sound good to you? I've lost all of my water weight now so I'll be starting Wednesday (tomorrow) with nothing to lose but fat. Wish I could always lose 5-6 pounds a week but that's totally unrealistic. I'll be happy with 1-2 pounds. But I also know that there will be some weeks that I will lose nothing but that will just be the way the body deals with all the changes. Patience and determination will be the key.
Sooooo, come on all you chunky monkies, let's get back into the groove and finish what we've started. We all know we had great reasons for wanting to lose weight, they haven't changed. So many of us have strayed away from the thread because we haven't done as well as we would have liked and said we would. Ok, so today is a new day and we can pick ourselves back up and go forward. We need to rally and be here for each other. I know we all want to feel better and be healthier. Let's do this together.... There's no better time than right now...... We can share ideas and recipes, what works, what doesn't work. It can be fun to be an active part of a group all working toward the same goal. Come on monkies, let's get it back together. We CAN do this!!!

Kay_NL Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 2:03pm
post #203 of 1590

I would love to have a weigh in day too, something to keep us motivated and a day to be accountable to eachother! I also suggest measuring our waists every Wednesday, or every second Wednesday. icon_smile.gif This can often be a better inidcator of progress! I measure 10 areas of my body every 2 weeks, although these haven't been very nice lately. lol

Margie, Tracey & all others: WE CAN ALL DO IT!! It would be so exciting to see the low 160's sometime soon, for at least the 3 of us lingering around 169!

How does everybody feel about weekly challenges? Like exercise based? Something like one week you have to do 10 minutes walking up and down stairs, and 30 squats (throughout the whole week) and the next you have to jog for 5 minutes and do 40 push ups... It wouldn't be too physically demanding by spreading these short challenges out over a week, and it would be something to say YES I did the challenge, or NO I couldn't, and why??

I look forward to reporting my weight tomorrow! icon_smile.gif And my waist measurement too....

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 2:09pm
post #204 of 1590

Keep up the great work ladies!!! And for those who don't feel like they've done enough, it's fine! We are our own worse enemies when it comes our own bodies.

So I've throw in the towel about losing those pesky pounds that crept up. I've decided that losing them was a fluke, due to having my wisdom teeth removed. It's kind of like when you lose weight from the flu, and you feel all great about losing it. But it always comes back...always.

And even though my clothes still fit (so I haven't gained much back), I've found that once again, I'm afraid of the scale. *whimper*

Oh well. I feel good, my clothes fit, and I'm healthy. What else can I ask for?

Keep it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kay_NL Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 4:08pm
post #205 of 1590

Jade, it sounds like you are still doing awesome, and being optimistic!!!! icon_smile.gif

If anybody is up for the challenges, I can put them up every Wednesday... You could pick and choose what you do from them, or do all of them. icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 6:33pm
post #206 of 1590

Wednesday sounds good to me. I'll have to remember to come report tomorrow. icon_smile.gif

I'm okay with challenges, but then there is that part of me that shys away from a group based everyone does the same challenge for everyone because they don't always apply or are feasible. As an example from the ones you listed, I don't really have any stairs around me to walk up and down. So I wouldn't be able to do that one with out going to the mall, which I just don't have time for.

Maybe we can list a group challenge and if that doesn't work for someone have them pick an individual challenge to do in place of? Or leave it more open ended, such as do 10 mins of exercise a week 3 times a week, then let everyone pick what exercises they want to do? Then change that up every week to add more or less time or other challenges in?

Over all I'll try my best to do what everyone decides, I just want to make sure that it is possible for all of us to do with out adding anything extra to get discouraged about.

butternut Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 7:08pm
post #207 of 1590

Ok, great. Wednesday weigh in it is..... I'm up for the challenges for sure. Thanks for suggesting that Katherine. If you'd like to take that on, that would be wonderful. See, we're having fun already.. icon_lol.gif

Kay_NL Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:18am
post #208 of 1590

I don't want anyone to shy away from challenges, there should be No pressure to complete them! I will put in a lot of OR's and it is all for fun and to try new things, please let me know if that is okay Tracey!! I won't be able to post until tomorrow night.

Kay_NL Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 10:17am
post #209 of 1590

Okay, this morning, my stats were:

weight = 170.4 pounds
waist = 36.25 inches

Certainly not where I want to be, but it's a start!!

butternut Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 12:49pm
post #210 of 1590

Good morning!!! Ok, here it is Wednesday and weigh in day.... Thanks for sharing Katherine. Now I reckon it's my turn icon_cry.gif
weight: 169.0 (was 175 last Wed.) have lost all water weight now
waist: 39.50 WOW icon_surprised.gif
How did my waist get so darned big? Ok, yeah I know, all those chips and cookies.... icon_rolleyes.gif and no exercise. Ok, but that was then, this is now....... Going on the treadmill now and going to look on Demand on tv this afternoon and find some good ab exercises to do........ Gonna do it, gonna do it!!!!!!! I'm worth it...... Looking forward to the challenges Katherine. Oh yeah, I'm pumped icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%