Help! Gourmet Flavors????

Decorating By tcakes65 Updated 9 Dec 2023 , 8:26pm by MacsMom

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 2:52pm
post #6451 of 6536

I was afraid the google document that I just posted in that link was gone by now. But it was still there! Thanks Macsmom. I don't bake with mixes, but I can still fix my cakes with your delicious ideas.

RedDarlene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RedDarlene Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 3:08pm
post #6452 of 6536

I am in Arkansas.  What is "Pastry Pride?" Silver Cloud?"

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 4:04pm
post #6453 of 6536

RedDarlene Pastry Pride is a non dairy 'whipped creme' that some use as frosting for their cakes but Frostin' Pride is what should be used.  I don't know what kind of stores you have in your area but if you have Smart & Final OR Gordons (sp?) or some type of store that sells restaurant food supplies.   If you take the time to read through this thread others have m,entioned other places where they have found it.  

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 7:59pm
post #6454 of 6536

Quote by @funzo on 4 Apr 2016 , 8:45am

What an awesome discussion thread! I've spend almost a week going through and read up on this. a HUGE thank you yo Macs Mom and Chef_Stef for posting all the flavors! Thank you Macs Mom for all the trouble shooting tips and recipes! I am fairly new on CC but have been reading on the forum on and off for a few years.

I've had problem with Sam's Club's But-R-creme, as I mixed it with Orange Marmalade for flavoring, it became a "slippery" that when I layered my cakes, the layers didn't stay put... Any thought?

Not sure why, as I have never used But-R-Creme, but you might try adding some cornstarch to thicken and blend it better.

MacsMom Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 8:03pm
post #6455 of 6536

Quote by @funzo on 22 hours ago

Hi Macsmom,

Do you have any preference in terms of Bettercreme, Frostin Pride or Pastry Pride?  Also do you mainly use them as filling or both as filling and icing?  TIA!

I mainly use them as filings, always blended with melted chocolate or pudding plus flavoring, depending on whether I want a thicker or fluffier filling. I prefer Frostin Pride.

post #6456 of 6536

Hi Macsmom,

Do you have any preference in terms of Bettercreme, Frostin Pride or Pastry Pride?  Also do you mainly use them as filling or both as filling and icing?  TIA!

I mainly use them as filings, always blended with melted chocolate or pudding plus flavoring, depending on whether I want a thicker or fluffier filling. I prefer Frostin Pride.

post #6457 of 6536

Hi Macsmom,

MacsMom Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 8:07pm
post #6458 of 6536

Quote by @kakeladi on 20 hours ago

To funzo:  Pastry Pride was never meant to be used as a cake icing.  Years ago when I spoke to the company they were appalled to hear it was being used like that.  Frostin' Pride is what we should be using.  It holds up better, takes color better and  is easier to work when 'frosting' your cakes.   Pastry Pride can be used for fillings.  

I remember one time calling them to ask how long/well it would hold up in 90 degree F heat they said they weren't sure, would find out & call me back.  It was the middle of an unusual hot spell where I lived ( their business was located just a hour N of me).  An hour later they called back and told me they had quickly frosted a small layer and set it outside to get the answer.  Less than 30 minutes they had soup LOL!  How's that for a scientific answer? :)

Yes! I used it mixed with buttercream (50/50) and the few cupcakes that the direct sunlight hit and begun to melt very quickly! I moved them all inside after that - temperature was in the 80's.

MacsMom Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 8:10pm
post #6459 of 6536

Wow! I can't believe this thread is still going on pretty regularly since 2009! smiley.png I always wondered if this thread had anything to do with the new flavored cake mix trend (Betty Crocker, etc).

funzo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funzo Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 11:51pm
post #6460 of 6536

Quote by @MacsMom on 3 hours ago

Wow! I can't believe this thread is still going on pretty regularly since 2009! smiley.png I always wondered if this thread had anything to do with the new flavored cake mix trend (Betty Crocker, etc).

MacsMom: I know! That's seven years! smiley.png  I was very impressed with the wealth of information from this thread. Thank you for the replies and all the flavors and tricks and tips :)

I think on page 8 or 9, you posted a link for filling mix recipes, and when I clicked on it, the link did not work.  Any chance you could re-post or let us know the title of the thread so I can do a search on the forum?

funzo Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 11:56pm
post #6461 of 6536

Quote by @kakeladi on 7 hours ago

RedDarlene Pastry Pride is a non dairy 'whipped creme' that some use as frosting for their cakes but Frostin' Pride is what should be used.  I don't know what kind of stores you have in your area but if you have Smart & Final OR Gordons (sp?) or some type of store that sells restaurant food supplies.   If you take the time to read through this thread others have m,entioned other places where they have found it.  

kakeladi and MacsMom: I could not find Frostin Pride anywhere near me.

Any thought on Rich's Bettercreme?

MacsMom Posted 13 Apr 2016 , 12:39am
post #6462 of 6536

Funzo, Rich's Bettercreme works just like Frostin Pride, it just isn't quite as thick - it's more of a whipped topping - but it substitutes just fine for Frostin Pride recipes.

MacsMom Posted 13 Apr 2016 , 12:42am
post #6463 of 6536

Quote by @funzo on 48 minutes ago

MacsMom: I know! That's seven years! smiley.png  I was very impressed with the wealth of information from this thread. Thank you for the replies and all the flavors and tricks and tips :)

I think on page 8 or 9, you posted a link for filling mix recipes, and when I clicked on it, the link did not work.  Any chance you could re-post or let us know the title of the thread so I can do a search on the forum?

I'll have to go back and check... I canOn't remember if it is dfferet form the Gourmet Flavors doc where there is a link  (on the left) that takes you to the filling recipe page.

funzo Posted 13 Apr 2016 , 1:52am
post #6464 of 6536

Quote by @MacsMom on 1 hour ago

Quote by @funzo on 48 minutes ago

I'll have to go back and check... I canOn't remember if it is dfferet form the Gourmet Flavors doc where there is a link  (on the left) that takes you to the filling recipe page.

I was completely off on the page. It was page 15. Here is what you've posted:

You think this thread is addictive, try this one - for 
Bettercreme filling options:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=601193&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

The link didn't seem to work. :(

funzo Posted 13 Apr 2016 , 2:00am
post #6465 of 6536

Quote by @MacsMom on 1 hour ago

Funzo, Rich's Bettercreme works just like Frostin Pride, it just isn't quite as thick - it's more of a whipped topping - but it substitutes just fine for Frostin Pride recipes.

Thank you so very very much MacsMom! 

MacsMom Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 12:59am
post #6466 of 6536

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=601193&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

That link was just so old, so I Googled it and found it! http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/601193/bettercreme-fun

funzo Posted 15 Apr 2016 , 12:00pm
post #6467 of 6536

Quote by @MacsMom on 1 day ago

That link was just so old, so I Googled it and found it! http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/601193/bettercreme-fun

Thank you Macsmom!

funzo Posted 19 Apr 2016 , 1:09am
post #6468 of 6536

I made the Orange Dreamsicle cake over the weekend. OMG, it was awesome. I had to do it twice though because the first batch of cakes sunk with the sherbet; so I omitted the sherbet and the cakes were perfect. 

I attempted to make the buttercream using Macsmom's recipe, but it was very slurry even after I added an extra full cup of powdered sugar. Also wondering if I can substitute the vanilla coffee creamer with water to keep it stable without refrigeration?

MacsMom Posted 19 Apr 2016 , 3:36am
post #6469 of 6536

It has been so long since I originally submitted the Orange Dreamsicle recipe, I now use just white cake mix with LoRann orange flavoring! It's every bit as delicious, and no cake-sink worry. Not sure why the buttercream was too thin, but even with that recipe I switched to just butter flavored Crisco, PS, and vanilla coffee creamer. (1 cup Crisco, 2lb powdered sugar, enough creamer to reach proper consistency - beat like crazy). Mine is just used under MMF, so perfection on consistency isn't an issue. 

Water would be fine, but using a non-dairy creamer still allows it to stay out for a few days. The PS stabilizes the recipe. 

writezoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
writezoe Posted 19 Apr 2016 , 10:33am
post #6470 of 6536

Love these!  I haven't really tried using syrups yet.  Is it just a basic 50/50 sugar syrup with flavoring added?

Thanks for all the great ideas everyone!  I hope since you posted them you won't be offended if I use a few.  :)

MacsMom Posted 19 Apr 2016 , 9:32pm
post #6471 of 6536

Quote by @writezoe on 10 hours ago

Love these!  I haven't really tried using syrups yet.  Is it just a basic 50/50 sugar syrup with flavoring added?

Thanks for all the great ideas everyone!  I hope since you posted them you won't be offended if I use a few.  :)

Do you mean for brushing the top of a warm cake to add moistness? Then yes, the sugar and water are heated until the sugar dissolves. For adding flavor in the cake recipe, they were talking about the Torani coffee syrups.

writezoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
writezoe Posted 20 Apr 2016 , 10:47am
post #6472 of 6536

Thank you @MacsMom, that is exactly what I was talking about.  I think the context was lost because the question came from a post many pages ago. 

funzo Posted 24 Apr 2016 , 10:21pm
post #6473 of 6536

I made the WASC Chocolate variation and lemon cake based on Macsmom's recipes. The chocolate cake turned out PERFECT! Lemon cake rose somewhat but sunk a tiny bit in the middle. I wonder if I substitute the frozen lemonade concentrate with a pre-made lemonade (like a minute maid lemonade from a can), if that would work better to get the cake to rise more evenly. Any thought?

I also made the crusting buttercream again, Macsmom's recipe, with variation of creaming the shortening on its own, added the PS then added the creamer at the end, it worked perfect.

MacsMom Posted 25 Apr 2016 , 8:06pm
post #6474 of 6536

The concentrate adds much more flavor than lemonade already mixed, but you can always add lemon extract. However, I've switched to using lemon cake mix, lemon pudding mix, and Lorann Princess emulsion for added flavoring :)

Quote by @funzo on 21 hours ago

I made the WASC Chocolate variation and lemon cake based on Macsmom's recipes. The chocolate cake turned out PERFECT! Lemon cake rose somewhat but sunk a tiny bit in the middle. I wonder if I substitute the frozen lemonade concentrate with a pre-made lemonade (like a minute maid lemonade from a can), if that would work better to get the cake to rise more evenly. Any thought?

funzo Posted 30 Apr 2016 , 12:49am
post #6475 of 6536

Quote by @MacsMom on 4 days ago

The concentrate adds much more flavor than lemonade already mixed, but you can always add lemon extract. However, I've switched to using lemon cake mix, lemon pudding mix, and Lorann Princess emulsion for added flavoring :)

Quote by @funzo on 21 hours ago

That sounds like a good idea! I will try that the next time I bake a lemon cake. Thank you Macsmom!

rosanne4856 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosanne4856 Posted 7 May 2016 , 1:13am
post #6476 of 6536

Goodbye vanilla cake and chocolate filling.

gallopinggranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gallopinggranny Posted 8 May 2016 , 9:30am
post #6477 of 6536

Mango mousse is one of my favs. I know you don’t want nuts but I have done a magnificent pistachio butter smbc with pistachio cream filling. It is to die for.

post #6478 of 6536

Mango mousse is one of my favs. I know you don’t want nuts but I have done a magnificent pistachio butter smbc with pistachio cream filling. It is to die for.

post #6479 of 6536

post #6480 of 6536

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%