Help! Gourmet Flavors????

Decorating By tcakes65 Updated 9 Dec 2023 , 8:26pm by MacsMom

MissJoyous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissJoyous Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 11:19pm
post #6331 of 6536

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacsMom 

icon_biggrin.gif
I use the WASC recipe as my base and start substituting from there: Flavored coffee creamers, juices, liquers, thawed frozen margarita concentrate, coffee, melted ice-cream, flavored yogurts in place of sour cream, pudding mixes, LoRann flavored oils...

Still trying to figure this out... substituting these things for ... what other things...?

GREAT list ~ thank you for sharing! We have some of the same ideas, I just don't know how to pull many of mine off!

MissJoyous Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 11:21pm
post #6332 of 6536

just realized how long this thread was... I'll be reading & catch up ;)

thank you guys!

MissJoyous Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 11:32pm
post #6333 of 6536

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melvira 

Hahahahaha!! We do talk ALOT in that thread, don't we? Hehehe.

I want to find this cupcake thread ~ that's what I bake is cupcakes! Wondering how all these recipes hold up transferred to a cupcake instead of cake... only pages in... 400 more or so to go!

mypinkbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mypinkbakery Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 10:42am
post #6334 of 6536

AOh my!..lol

adtcal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adtcal Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 5:28pm
post #6335 of 6536

AThat is so so generous to share your entire list with all of us.... A huge thank you !

iluvdonuts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvdonuts Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 2:37am
post #6336 of 6536

I am so grateful to have found CakeCentral and this thread! I've never posted before but i feel like i've received an education over the past year while reading through all the threads. So thank you all!

I am doing my first four tiered wedding cake for my sister-in-law in a couple of weeks. The person she originally ordered from just had surgery so is unable to make her cake now. She is a very laid back bride and has left the flavors ( and the design) to me. :shock:  I was hoping to use some of these recipes to really give her an awesome and unique wedding cake. The wedding is 400 people. I am doing 14,12,10, and 8inch rounds and making 2- 12x18 kitchen cakes.

My questions are: 

Iv'e noticed its said many times that some of the recipes are very moist. Are they sturdy enough for stacking 4 tiers of this size? They will be covered in fondant.  I plan on using SPS (first time) too, so that should help.

How many different flavors of cake is appropriate? Her only request was banana and chocolate.  I always seem to go the most challenging route, and after reading the fist 137 pages of this thread my head is spinning and I want to make 6 different cakes!

But then I remember my children are in the wedding. I will be very busy that week!

Thanks in advance!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 5:21pm
post #6337 of 6536

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvdonuts 

My questions are:

Iv'e noticed its said many times that some of the recipes are very moist. Are they sturdy enough for stacking 4 tiers of this size? They will be covered in fondant.  I plan on using SPS (first time) too, so that should help.

How many different flavors of cake is appropriate? Her only request was banana and chocolate.  I always seem to go the most challenging route, and after reading the fist 137 pages of this thread my head is spinning and I want to make 6 different cakes!

But then I remember my children are in the wedding. I will be very busy that week!

Thanks in advance!

WASC versions are the only recipes I use, and I've been making fondant cakes for 7 years now. I use them for carved cakes, as well.

I suggest only 3 flavors, or you'll have an abundance of guests requesting particular flavors, or grabbing a second piece to try another flavor.

Spireite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spireite Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 5:28pm
post #6338 of 6536

Friends of mine recently went to a wedding where they ran out of cake as the guests all took at least 2 if not 3 servings to taste the 3 different flavours....the bride and groom were mortified and didn't even get to taste their own cake (even though they did cut it)!!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 5:29pm
post #6339 of 6536

the peril of serving more than one flavor

iluvdonuts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvdonuts Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 5:40pm
post #6340 of 6536

AI didn't even think of running out of cake! That would be so embarassing. We usually have two giant sweets tables at either side of the hall at our family weddings. It's mostly Greek pastries and cookies, but usually every family brings something then packs up take home containers at end of evening. If anything, we have waaay more desserts than needed. I'll probably stick to two or three choices.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 6:18pm
post #6341 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spireite 

Friends of mine recently went to a wedding where they ran out of cake as the guests all took at least 2 if not 3 servings to taste the 3 different flavours....the bride and groom were mortified and didn't even get to taste their own cake (even though they did cut it)!!

all they had to do was control it as it was being served by having the cake cutter and servers say, "please make one choice, after everyone is served you can come back for seconds"

i advised my brides to order more servings if they wanted more than one flavor

mypinkbakery Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 11:26am
post #6342 of 6536

AForgive me for asking as someone else may already ve..will these was variations work well with cupcakes?..thank u!

MacsMom Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 5:29pm
post #6343 of 6536

Yes, I love it as a cupcake. Just be careful not to overbake!

Auntie Sheila Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auntie Sheila Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 6:57pm
post #6344 of 6536

Thanks so much for that info. this is my first time in cake central, I am a new to the world of baking cakes, for a while all I've ever baked were a variety of flavors of cornbread and monkey bread, it wasn't until this year where I started taking cake decorating classes, now I think I'm stuck on cakes.

mypinkbakery Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 7:02pm
post #6345 of 6536

A@ Macsmoms...thanks again...cant wait!

Stacy49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stacy49 Posted 6 Nov 2013 , 3:57am
post #6346 of 6536

Help please! It seems like these cake boxes just keep getting smaller! I am preparing to make Heavenly Pumpkin Spice Cake. The recipe calls for a 18.25 oz package of spice cake mix. When I check my Betty Crocker spice cake, it comes in at a meager 15.25 oz. So....do I pop open another box and add 3 oz?

Hoosier Mama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hoosier Mama Posted 6 Nov 2013 , 2:37pm
post #6347 of 6536

Make your own cake mix, and you won't have to worry about the size of the box mix.  I use this great recipe posted by I Am Baker.  Here's the link:  http://iambaker.net/homemade-cake-mix/

I keep a large container of this in an airtight container and just measure out what I need.

MacsMom Posted 6 Nov 2013 , 5:17pm
post #6348 of 6536

If the pan size is larger than 9" I add an extra 2 cups of mix, 1/2 c flour, 1/2 c sugar, 1/2 c sour cream, 2/3 c liquid.  I do end up with with open bags of cake mix wrapped up in my fridge, but they eventually get used pretty quickly with outhr cakes.

Thanks, Hoosier Mama, for the recipe.

MacsMom Posted 6 Nov 2013 , 5:17pm
post #6349 of 6536

...And 1 extra egg.

Snowberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowberry Posted 6 Nov 2013 , 6:04pm
post #6350 of 6536

I just got finished making my in-laws 50th Anniversary cake using 5 different flavored cake mixes.  I opened another box, added it to the smaller box, and weighed it until it reached 18.25 oz.  I then proceeded as usual according to the WASC recipe!  It came out perfect.  The opened box with leftover cake mix I have used for small batches of cupcakes later.

nsoroma79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nsoroma79 Posted 6 Nov 2013 , 9:06pm
post #6351 of 6536

AWow!! For someone just starting out.... these lists are amazing! Thank you for sharing! I'm excited to try some for fun and see how they turn out. I'm still learning and only offer two flavors! I feel so behind. lol. Then again, I'm just making my first paid cake this weekend. :) I have SO much to learn! :)

dinobakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinobakes Posted 7 Nov 2013 , 1:19am
post #6352 of 6536

This thread is amazing!

I love giving my cakes a twist and hardly follow a recipe to the dot.

You guys are truly amazing. Macmom, ur list gives me so many ideas!!!

Last night I had 3 orders and it was all new flavours.

1st cake:

green tea genoise cake, filled with green tea infused cream cheese, and topped the fresh cream and green tea crumbs

2nd cake:

Black sesame genoise cake filled with fresh cream with black sesame and topped wih fresh cream

3rd cake: (client likes orange and chocolate)

I took a chocolate cake recipe and added orange extract, filled it with fresh cream with orange flavour and topped it with chocolate orange ganache. (It smells so divine!)

ktcakesmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ktcakesmith Posted 7 Nov 2013 , 9:22pm
post #6353 of 6536

AHi! Not sure if you ladies are all in the US or whether you can get these ingredients over there. I've been using Mahlab, which is an Arabic spice originating from cherry stones.. It gives a really delicate flavour which goes perfectly with citrus.. Great for a delicately flavoured wedding cake. It comes as a powder. My favourite simple flavouring is cardamom, again it is amazing with either citrus or warm spices...

mypinkbakery Posted 8 Nov 2013 , 9:00pm
post #6354 of 6536

AI just made the wasc cake using yogurt as sour cream and also used pudding to replace some liquid..the cake came out really dense more like pudding...I whisked the pudding with milk bf adding it to the mixture..should I have used it dry?..not sure what I did wrong...

MacsMom Posted 10 Nov 2013 , 1:47am
post #6355 of 6536

Yogurt has made my cakes come out almost rubbery sometimes. And yes, use the pudding mix dry.

mypinkbakery Posted 10 Nov 2013 , 5:05pm
post #6356 of 6536

AOk..will try the pudding mix dry and see what happens..I made another batch right away with only the yogurt and it was perfect!

mypinkbakery Posted 10 Nov 2013 , 5:28pm
post #6357 of 6536

ADinobakes..pls what's ur fresh cream made up of?..do u mind?

stexpressions Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stexpressions Posted 13 Nov 2013 , 6:30pm
post #6358 of 6536

AIm so a newbie, I would like to thank everyone.

fidelis118 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fidelis118 Posted 20 Nov 2013 , 2:13pm
post #6359 of 6536

A

Original message sent by MissJoyous

[B]Still trying to figure this out... substituting these things for ... what other things...? [/B]

GREAT list ~ thank you for sharing! We have some of the same ideas, I just don't know how to pull many of mine off!

I'm slowly reading through this thread but I would like to know the answer to this as well. What exactly are we substituting? I'm not too good with the science behind baking somi don't want to screw my cakes up by substituting the wrong things.

MacsMom Posted 21 Nov 2013 , 1:04am
post #6360 of 6536

Quote:

Originally Posted by fidelis118 

I'm slowly reading through this thread but I would like to know the answer to this as well. What exactly are we substituting? I'm not too good with the science behind baking somi don't want to screw my cakes up by substituting the wrong things.

I can't tell what this refers to.... Various liquids can be substituted for each other (?)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%