How About A Thread To Seriously Discuss Chocolate Making?!?

Sugar Work By sayhellojana Updated 5 Oct 2011 , 1:33am by SpatulaGoddess

gabbenmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabbenmom Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 8:44pm
post #61 of 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by paolacaracas

Now I'm working on a little gift box for Christmas that will have peppermint, egg nog, and cinnamon bonbons, with Christmas chocolate transfers. I'll post a picture when I'm done.

Paolacaracas~ How are you making your cinnamon bonbons? that sounds wonderful! And the peppermint ones?

I have never had homemade marshmallows either. Does anyone have a recipe they want to share?

mommy_of_3_DDs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 8:59pm
post #62 of 883

I have been reading a drooling! I really wish I could figure out the tempering thing... Whenever I use chocochips (can only use Hershey brand due to allergies) it always ends up with that funky white film (bloom?) Once I couldn't use candy melts anymore I have given up on chocolates... I love eggnog filled truffles!

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 10:15pm
post #63 of 883

Mommy_of_3_DDs-
Try melting half of your chocolate, taking it off the heat when there are just a few little chunks left and keep stirring till those are dissolved. Add in the other half, chopped up fine, and stir to melt. By mixing in the other half, you are mixing in seed crystals. It's the easiest way, and works well for me.

Fiddle - get on those marshmallows! Try the Alton Brown recipe on food network, or read it, it explains everything really well. They really aren't difficult to make, maybe a bit messy to clean up, but it's all worth it, promise icon_smile.gif

jojo0676 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojo0676 Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 10:25pm
post #64 of 883

Oooh, I definitely want to try homemade marshmallows. I could make chocolate marshmallow showmen for gifts. The ideas are flowing.

I use Merckens chocolates and love them. I don't temper my chocolate, but still get a nice glossy look using these. I have looked into a chocolate temperer too, I'm sure that would make it even shinier.

Does anyone one know where to get a mold that looks like a Christmas gift and is deep enough to fill with truffle filling?

sweetjane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjane Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 10:30pm
post #65 of 883

Try this Ebay store, I get lots of molds from them. They have a gift mold
http://stores.ebay.com/Cake-and-Candy-Com

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 10:36pm
post #66 of 883

http://www.candylandcrafts.com/candy-soap_molds.htm
I like this store to.
sayhellojana. I hope to try them!

swoozie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swoozie Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 10:56pm
post #67 of 883

The shop I work at does cake and choclates! icon_biggrin.gif Here is a nut shell answer on tempering.
When you have a chocolate that is other than the round melts, you have to melt it, then bring it back down to a certain temp (cool it a bit) before you pour it.
melt it around 100/110 degrees, then you have to cool it down to about 98 degrees before you use it. If you use it too warm, when it hardens, it will bloom.

the bloom is cocoa butter that rises to the top. Tempering is tricky, can be done at home with patients. I love the idea of melting some and adding chunks and stirring in the rest to melt it all this will help cool down the chocolate to the correct temp. thumbs_up.gif

If you are really up to try molds either silicone, or plastic pour ins, use the melts. they are cheap, easy to use, and most people love them. at least the people we all give to at holiday time. and they give a great result!

You can use the assorted chocolate bars that are out in stores. melt and re mold them instead of buying pounds from a chocolatier, or some places that make chocolates will sell you chocolate by the pound but expect to pay 23.00 a pound or more.
Hope some of this helps.

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 10:58pm
post #68 of 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetjane

Try this Ebay store, I get lots of molds from them. They have a gift mold
http://stores.ebay.com/Cake-and-Candy-Com

This place has all the Lorann oils too!

I would like to have a plain fondant creamy filling recipe that you could just flavor to put in the chocolate molds. Like flavor it with mint, cherry or orange! Maybe this has already be covered & I missed it!

swoozie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swoozie Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 11:06pm
post #69 of 883

I bought a lot of molds at an auction, the clear plastic ones and some silicone ones as well.
silicone is wonderful! I have a neat rabbit mold ( fuzzy bunny sitting)
i was not sure about it at first, but I love trial by fire!
I filled it half way, tapped it hard on the counter to get out bubbles. filled it up tap tap tap! pit it in the fridge for about 20 minutes, then.... peeeled off the silicone, whoo hoo! beautiful!
this mold I have to almost pull and turn inside out. does not split.
eventually they wear out, but I think you can get 50 to 100 per mold.

maybe some day I can afford some ply carbonate molds. icon_rolleyes.gif
swoozie

sayhellojana Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 11:20pm
post #70 of 883

linliv - I don't have one for a creamy filling, but you can flavor ganache and put it in a chocolate shell, thats ALWAYS delicious. Or, I guess you could just use regular fondant loosened with some milk? I've never tried that, just thinking out loud. I'm sure one of the other ladies will have a better answer for you

sayhellojana Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 11:28pm
post #71 of 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by swoozie

maybe some day I can afford some ply carbonate molds. icon_rolleyes.gif
swoozie

You're reading my mind! One of these days...

I'm going to take a peak at those online stores. I just ordered some new molds (most of mine were damaged/lost when I moved) from http://stores.ebay.com/Custom-Chocolate-Shop . Thank goodness for eBay, right?

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 12:00am
post #72 of 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Fiddle - you don't know what you are missing.

They're not as difficult as some people make it seem. If you can make IMBC, you can make marshmallows. The taste and texture are incredible. Imagine biting into something almost as soft as a cotton ball, it melting in your mouth like sweet & soft butter.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

OMG You just made my stomach rumble!! You should write candy brochures!! LOL!! I love this thread.

I have a great, simple peanut butter filling that I'll post later when I get to my recipes.

sayhellojana Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 12:07am
post #73 of 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzycakes

I have a great, simple peanut butter filling that I'll post later when I get to my recipes.

Have I mentioned that you're my favorite? hehe...
I should break away from the computer and do laundry...5 more minuets icon_smile.gif

rezzygirl Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 12:30am
post #74 of 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenette

I am all for it! I have wanted to learn all I can about chocolates and candy making for years now. I have made truffles rolled in cocoa, peanut brittle, and fudge (once).

I do a lot of reading on the net and would love to share ideas and such. I want to learn to temper before years end. I actually bought a machine but over a year later it is still in the box icon_redface.gif .

Tempering scares me; tempering and pie crust. icon_cry.gif

Hoping to overcome these fears one at a time. This will be fun, great thread!

I was like that too about tempering until I got a machine! Which one do you have? If it's a rev1 or rev2 you'll be surprised at how easy it is to use. I'm still avoiding pie crust too though... icon_redface.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 12:53am
post #75 of 883

playingwithsugar..melting in your mouth like sweet & soft butter! Yum! That right there is enough to make me want to drop everything and give them a try !
So are all the recipes for homemade marshmallows about the same or are you going to post the one thats making all of us drool over them???

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 1:07am
post #76 of 883

Since the mallows popped up. Make some strawberry ones, and dip them in choc. Yummy stuff.

Mike

fiddlesticks Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 1:13am
post #77 of 883

OH thats sounds wonderful!

mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 1:24am
post #78 of 883

Thanks for the advise about the melting half and then adding the rest to cool it... I will have to try that.

For the creamy filling you take 12 oz white choco and 4 ounces heavy whipping cream (or egg nog); (plus flavor oil of choice) and melt then stir well to combine allow to cool and then fill using a piping bag into molds that you have created a shell on. Top off with more choco then allow to set... perfect truffles...

I have also used regular choco but you need to use more liquid.

rezzygirl Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 1:46am
post #79 of 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy_of_3_DDs

For the creamy filling you take 12 oz white choco and 4 ounces heavy whipping cream (or egg nog); (plus flavor oil of choice) and melt then stir well to combine allow to cool and then fill using a piping bag into molds that you have created a shell on. Top off with more choco then allow to set... perfect truffles...

Adding egg nog sounds like a nice variation! Thanks!

Linliv46 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 2:08am
post #80 of 883
Quote:

Thanks for the advise about the melting half and then adding the rest to cool it... I will have to try that.

When these are finished is the center firm or creamy? Seems like they would be firm with the white choc

mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 2:32am
post #81 of 883

They are soft enough to be piped but will not ooze when you bite...

I forgot to add the absolute absolute BEST filling is to take 12 oz white choco with 2oz raspberry flavor (McCalls) and 2 oz cream melted together... Then use dark choco for the candy shells! OMG to DIE for YUM!

cmp24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmp24 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 2:46am
post #82 of 883

Ok, i melt some chocolate, then start adding more and more as it melts. Ok, i want the pb recipe PLEASE!!!!! Would love to try that with the mold I found in my stuff today. I'm not a professional by any means, I do not do this for a living, I enjoy doing it for the hoildays, and there coming up quick! I do it all for fun, and for my kids b-day.

rezzygirl Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 2:53am
post #83 of 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp24

2. I found a mold just now going through some of my candy stuff and it's like a big reeses cup mold.....anyone know of a pb recipe i can put in it? or strawberry, or cherry? Or would strawberry or cherry work in it?

K. Here's the one I use:

Peanut Butter Candy Filling

For a filling you can roll and dip like a truffle:

9 oz. peanut butter
4 tbls. butter, melted and cooled slightly
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups confectionery sugar

For a filling you can pipe into molded chocolate:
9 oz. peanut butter
6 - 7 tbls. butter, melted and cooled slightly
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups confectionery sugar

I usually just add butter until I get the consistency I need.

For both:
Cream peanut butter and butter until smooth. Add vanilla. Add sifted confectionery sugar a little at a time and mix till smooth.

Linliv46 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 3:03am
post #84 of 883
Quote:

They are soft enough to be piped but will not ooze when you bite...

I forgot to add the absolute absolute BEST filling is to take 12 oz white choco with 2oz raspberry flavor (McCalls) and 2 oz cream melted together... Then use dark choco for the candy shells! OMG to DIE for YUM!

Sounds sooo good! Love the raspberry!

fiddlesticks Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 3:15am
post #85 of 883

Hey Linda, another yummy thread, I think we are in trouble! LOL!! Time to start a new list of What choc,s we want to try first !

cmp24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmp24 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 3:25am
post #86 of 883

Thanks reezycakes. i'll diffently be trying those!

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 3:26am
post #87 of 883

I'm sure glad I found this thread before it became SEVERAL pages long. I had a candy business for years before I started making cakes. I've got a simple recipe for peppermint patties if anyone wants it. I make a bunch and bag them for christmas gifts. Also, I have a recipe for homemade Snickers.

Here is a picture of SpongeBob lollis that I used to sell, all chocolate.
LL

Linliv46 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 3:33am
post #88 of 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlg

I'm sure glad I found this thread before it became SEVERAL pages long. I had a candy business for years before I started making cakes. I've got a simple recipe for peppermint patties if anyone wants it. I make a bunch and bag them for christmas gifts. Also, I have a recipe for homemade Snickers.

Here is a picture of SpongeBob lollis that I used to sell, all chocolate.

Would love to know about your peppeermint patties! The lollies are sooo cute!

Fiddlestcks, I don't know whether to drag out a quart of Bettercreme or the chocolate! hahahaha!!!!

rezzygirl Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 3:40am
post #89 of 883

Jenlg - Those are soooo cute!!! Would you mind sharing your process for doing chocolates with so many colors?

Pastry-Panda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastry-Panda Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 3:47am
post #90 of 883

Here is the recipe for candied orange peel:

3 to 4 thick skinned oranges
3 cups of sugar
1/4 cup Grand Marnier or other orange flavored liqueur
lots of water

slice off the ends of the oranges and discard
cut oranges in quarters and cut off all but 1/2 inch of the pulp ( it helps keep them from getting bitter as they cook) eat the remaining pulp if you want to
cut the quarters in to thin slices 1/8 to 1/4 and inch wide

put them in a pot and cover with water , and over med - high heat bring to a boil and boil for 5 min.
drain off water and repeat two more times

after the third boil drain and rinse with cold water and remove any pulp that hasn't come off.
rinse out the sauce pan and put the orange slices back in the pot with
1 1/2 cups of the sugar and orange liqueur
book over low heat for 1 1/2 hours stirring frequently , most of the sugar will be absorbed

spread remaining sugar over a sheet pan lined with foil or wax paper
immediatly began spoonong pieces of the peel on to the sugar and separating the slices and rolling in the sugar
transfer fully coated to another sheet and let air dry and hour or more if you want.

they dont get very hard , but when made right they are awesome!
dice them up very small and put in to some ganache for truffles and it's soooooo good.

just store any extras in the fridge tightly covered for 2-3 months , I always have to reroll them in sugar once I take them out of the fridge because it dissolves.

These are seriously good give them a try!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%