How About A Thread To Seriously Discuss Chocolate Making?!?

Sugar Work By sayhellojana Updated 5 Oct 2011 , 1:33am by SpatulaGoddess

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 3:32am
post #211 of 883

mkolmar- That's so funny!! I dont use syrups at all icon_smile.gif I'll pm you

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 1:49pm
post #212 of 883

Something tells me I need to make my way to Sams this week. Definately a way to stock up. I go through so much chocolate at Christmas with everything I make.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 3:04pm
post #213 of 883

I made candy but it was caramels not choc,s . Thanks Julie for sharing your recipe!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 3:05pm
post #214 of 883

Chefjulie- I'll pm you my syrup recipes and combo's.

I still need to head out to Sams Club also, but it will be a little bit since I just paid a lot of bills.

fiddlesticks Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 3:09pm
post #215 of 883

Letme ask again The choc bars at SAM,S you DONT temper ? right ?? Thanks !

mkolmar Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 3:30pm
post #216 of 883

Nope, you don't have to temper them. Just melt and use.
I melt mine over a double boiler though since I'm old school icon_lol.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 3:34pm
post #217 of 883

Thanks much ! Im going to Sams today I want to check it all out.

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 7:29pm
post #218 of 883

Fiddlesticks here is where I got those! Got on the wrong thread while ago!
http://www.shopbakersnook.com/m5_view_item.html?m5:item=2118

heavensgaits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavensgaits Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 7:31pm
post #219 of 883

Could anyone tell me where you get the different colors of cocoa butter? Do you just paint the cocoa butter in the mold and then pour the chocolate? Thanks!

fiddlesticks Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 8:07pm
post #220 of 883

Linda I cant get that link to work ???

mkolmar Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 8:43pm
post #221 of 883

You can buy different colors of cocoa butter at shopchefrubber.com
They are about $19.50 for a small can but it will last for a while.
They come in a lot of different colors. You need an airbrush in order to spray it in the molds evenly though and not all airbrushes will support this. I just bought an Aztek and the main reason was because it sprays cleaner (less splatter) and it also supports the cocoa butter along with airbrushing for cakes.

fiddlesticks Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 9:37pm
post #222 of 883

Ok ..for any one that uses the Gheradelli chocolate from Sams. I bought some today and the choc is called double choc ? what is that ? milk choc , dark choc ????? they had that and a white bar also. Oh and a got a bag of the Gheradelli chocolate chips to in bittersweet !

Classycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Classycakes Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 2:01am
post #223 of 883

Hi Everyone - this is a great thread! I wish we had a Sams Club here because our Costco doesn't carry the blocks of chocolate icon_cry.gif

Does anyone know of a good place to order some chocolate or truffle boxes. I'm looking for the 1/2 pound and 1 pound white cardboard boxes with the clear window on the top. They look so pretty with the truffles peaking out!

Thanks in advance for any help!

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 2:27am
post #224 of 883

I think uline.com has some, but they have a very high minimum order.

I went to Smart & Final today. I was going to pick up some blocks of chocolate - and they didn't have them! I could have sworn I saw them last time I was in there. Darn! I refuse to pay for the ridiculous markup of the little bars/bags, so I guess I have to wait till my lovely Aunt will lend me her Sams membership again. Or maybe I could order them online... shipping would kill though.

Bummer.

Has anyone else made some nice chocolates this weekend? Photo sharing is always welcomed in my book icon_smile.gif

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 2:33am
post #225 of 883

Fiddle, that's all there is! I *think* it's a semi-sweet/milk choc. blend. Im not entirely positive, but I know it's delicious icon_smile.gif Im not a milk chocolate fan, and I enjoy this chocolate (only as a coating).

mkolmar Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 2:43am
post #226 of 883

I call it the chocolate hybrid icon_lol.gif I really don't know what it is, but I like chefjulies answer.

I made chocolates today. I made them all in molds. I did solid dark chocolate squares and then some dark chocolate squares with broken up Heath candy bits in it. Dark chocolate filled with marzipan that had whiskey in it and dark chocolate Oreo truffles and dark chocolate with the caramel-boubon-toasted pecans.

I need to make the coating of chocolate before adding the filling a little thicker though. Some of the caramel found thin spots and I had tiny little caramel drops peeking through.

I had some issues with my chocolates not wanting to un-mold properly. I was getting frustrated. My house is just to warm and they were not setting properly.
My DH told me to invest in some silicone molds! YES!!!!!!! I don't think he knows how expensive they are. He may regret what he just suggested.

sayhellojana Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 2:50am
post #227 of 883

Mkolmar - that all sounds really, really wonderful icon_smile.gif Don't you dare tell him how much those are until the last possible moment - lol!

and really, how horrible are caramel spots? just a preview icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 2:55am
post #228 of 883

I too, love to make chocolate. I would love to see a little chocolate section in the forum!

fiddlesticks Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 2:56am
post #229 of 883

Thanks for the choc bar answers !
mkolmar. Do you stick your molds in the freezer till set ?
I love melting choc and adding the toffee bits ( baking chips) then molding them in the peanut butter cup molds or just dropping spoon fulls onto wax paper YUM!

mkolmar Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 3:29am
post #230 of 883

I didn't want to stick them in the freezer because it makes the chocolate more likely to bloom. They were taking so long to set because of the temperature in my house that I finally just put them in the freezer for a few minutes. Within a few minutes some of the chocolate started to bloom. GAAAAH! It was just starting though, thank goodness. I ended up luster dusting them to try to cover it up some.

Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 8:38pm
post #231 of 883

mkolar could you just put the mold in the freezer before you pour your chocolate in there and that will give you a very cold mold and maybe the chocolate would set up faster. I don't know for sure that will work but it's worth a try. icon_biggrin.gif

sayhellojana Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 12:22am
post #232 of 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemawfish

mkolar could you just put the mold in the freezer before you pour your chocolate in there and that will give you a very cold mold and maybe the chocolate would set up faster. I don't know for sure that will work but it's worth a try. icon_biggrin.gif

Thats exactly what I do when I make shells for fillings. That way a bit sets up right when it hits the mold, so I can pour some out and there is still a decent coating in the mold.

mkolmar Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 2:56am
post #233 of 883

See that's why I like you all! You gals are constantly thinking.

colabear71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
colabear71 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:07am
post #234 of 883

I have been reading along since this thread started and decided I had to ask a question. I went to my local Sam's this past weekend and couldn't find the Ghiradelli bars anywhere in the store. Where do all of you normally find them located? With the baking stuff, the candy, the seasonal stuff??

I make homemade millionaire candies every year and would love to try the Ghiradelli for the coating.

Kim

sayhellojana Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:18am
post #235 of 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

See that's why I like you all! You gals are constantly thinking.

Well of course we are! Everyone knows smart girls eat chocolate icon_wink.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 4:18am
post #236 of 883

I just bought some yesterday and in my SAMS it was in the same isle as the sugar. I almost missed it though it looks like a large box of premade candy, not at all what I was looking for. Its large and flat and has a lot of pictures of different candy on the top.

Linliv46 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 4:35am
post #237 of 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

I just bought some yesterday and in my SAMS it was in the same isle as the sugar. I almost missed it though it looks like a large box of premade candy, not at all what I was looking for. Its large and flat and has a lot of pictures of different candy on the top.

Have you had a chance to taste it yet?

fiddlesticks Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 4:44am
post #238 of 883

No I didnt I used some other baking chips I needed to use up . Sorry ! When are you going
Did you read what was posted about it being a mix of milk and dark choc ? thats why it called a double choc bar.

Linliv46 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 5:13am
post #239 of 883

Yes, I read that, sounds real good to me. I want to get some of the white also! Might as well stock up when I do get to go! thumbs_up.gif Probably wont be til next week! Can't wait to get my new candy book>>should be here Wed.

fiddlesticks Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 1:54pm
post #240 of 883

Awesome Let me know when you get it ! I will be into that choc bar before next week , So I will let you know.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%