How About A Thread To Seriously Discuss Chocolate Making?!?

Sugar Work By sayhellojana Updated 5 Oct 2011 , 1:33am by SpatulaGoddess

ChefAngie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefAngie Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 5:13pm
post #181 of 883

My husband asked me what I want for Christmas-Yahoo a chocolate temperer-we shall see-I gave him the picture- name, model number,
and price.
Happy Baking and Decorating,
Chef Angie

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 3:37am
post #182 of 883

Congratz on your chocolate temperer, that should deffinantly lead to some fun!

cmp24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmp24 Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 4:37am
post #183 of 883

I adore your signature line..... I laugh every time I read it... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
[/quote]

Thanks Laura.......I can't remember where I found it at. It's not something I came up with on my own. I use it on my email also...I had one of my friends tell me that it's just not the devil yelling when I get up it's everyone! LOL If he lived closer I'd have to hit him for that comment. lol

sayhellojana Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 1:30pm
post #184 of 883

I made a lovely batch of homemade marshmallos and bagged 'em up cute with orange ribbon. I doubt we'll have trick or treaters, but we sure do have some hungry (and nosy!) friends

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 3:29pm
post #185 of 883

Okay, so I asked this question on a different thread, but I'll ask here too. If I'm making cake balls, with truffles in the middle, and coating in chocolate, can I freeze them? Will the freezer make the chocolate do funny things??? It's for a bereavement package, so it is REALLY important for them to be able to sit in the freezer for a while.
Thanks guys!

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 3:58pm
post #186 of 883

My thoughts would be just make sure they are in an air tight container. Also, make sure you thaw in the container. My only issue would be the condensation on the thawing process. Hopefully someone else can help more.

mommyle Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 5:20pm
post #187 of 883

Thanks Jen. I'll do that!!!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 5:43pm
post #188 of 883

Good grief, how did I miss this thread?? I'm glad it came up, I've been dabbling in chocolates and I still have a few questions. I guess I'll start by reading all 13 pages of this thread! icon_lol.gif

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 6:05pm
post #189 of 883

Bob...How do you always get behind on all the threads icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_surprised.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 7:55pm
post #190 of 883

Tempered chocolate should not go into the freezer. It will cause it to bloom.

If you absolutely must do it, you could put them in the freezer wrapped very air tight. Once out of the freezer check for blooming. The ones that have just re-dip so they have a 2nd coating of chocolate.

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 9:45pm
post #191 of 883

If your using chocolate like Merckens, that you don't need to temper, you won't have the blooming problems. I never did in the years I had my candy business.

mkolmar Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 12:31am
post #192 of 883

Jenlg is correct that merkens won't bloom, if you must freeze use those.

Merkens are a form of melts which is not real chocolate so it should be fine. If it's real chocolate, then you'll have a problem.

mommyle Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 1:11am
post #193 of 883

okay, so if Merkens is a melt, can I use the Wilton melts and put them in the freezer???
Thanks guys!

mkolmar Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 2:04am
post #194 of 883

It should be fine. However, Merkens melts taste better than the Wilton ones. (just my opinion.)
When are these for?
If you have a Sams membership they sell Ghiredalli dipping chocolate in milk chocolate flavor and white chocolate. This is basically their form of a melt. It tastes the best out of all of them I have tried and the closest to a real chocolate taste yet. They should be getting ready to stock them on the shelves soon because they only sell them at Christmas time. Sams has a deal with Ghiredalli so they are the only company that can sell their dipping chocolate (at least that's what Sams told me last year.)
If you can use this instead. It will really bump up the flavor of your product if you are planning on using melts.

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 2:12am
post #195 of 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

It should be fine. However, Merkens melts taste better than the Wilton ones. (just my opinion.)
When are these for?
If you have a Sams membership they sell Ghiredalli dipping chocolate in milk chocolate flavor and white chocolate. This is basically their form of a melt. It tastes the best out of all of them I have tried and the closest to a real chocolate taste yet. They should be getting ready to stock them on the shelves soon because they only sell them at Christmas time. Sams has a deal with Ghiredalli so they are the only company that can sell their dipping chocolate (at least that's what Sams told me last year.)
If you can use this instead. It will really bump up the flavor of your product if you are planning on using melts.

I did not know Ghiredalli made this... I shop at Sam's, but only for a couple of things, and rarely look around. I am going to check that out; how are the prices?

Fiddlesticks.. you will be happy to know that my truffles were a big hit.. The bittersweet mocha ones were gobbled up quickly! You gotta try those girl! icon_biggrin.gif

mkolmar Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 2:22am
post #196 of 883

I can't remember the prices. I just remember going "Sweet Goodness, this is cheap. Quick honey stand guard over the pallet while I go grab a cart." I walked out with a ton of product for $120. I had an entire case of dipping chocolate in white and dark. Plus they sell 6# bags of the Gheradelli chocolate chips at a pretty low price also. I don't even go to Sams hardly but I go at Holiday time and snap up this and bags of nuts. This will be the 3rd year I'll be going to get it. (hope they have it again this year.)

fiddlesticks Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 2:40am
post #197 of 883

mkolmar.. Can you freeze them if you want to stock up ??
LAURA ! I thought about you today Im glad they were a hit ! have any pic,s ??

mommyle Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 2:50am
post #198 of 883

I will look for Merkins here, but up here in the far, far reaches of the North we don't tend to get some of the "good stuff"! I'll also look around for some Gheradelli.
Thanks to all of you for all your help!

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 2:55am
post #199 of 883

mkolmar... I am headed to Sam's next week... before you start traveling around and buy it all up... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

fiddlesticks.. sorry no pics... it's just candy, but you are right.. I should have taken some anyway, cause I have the cutest molds I love to use.. I promise to take some next time. I love doing candy for the holidays.. and cookies... the fun season is upon us.. thumbs_up.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 2:57am
post #200 of 883

thumbs_up.gif Yes This is the best time for sugar creations ! thumbs_up.gif

mkolmar Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 3:05am
post #201 of 883

CakesbyLJ--Poop! I should have never told. icon_lol.gif I live a few states north of you so your okay.

Fiddlesticks-You don't have to freeze them. They will hold for 1 year at the proper room temp. You probably could freeze them though. I always just keep it at room temp. however. I find it's easier since it will keep for 1 year.

fiddlesticks Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 3:10am
post #202 of 883

Thanks, Good for a yr will work great ! Im always in Sams I will have to look for all that choc.

sayhellojana Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 5:50am
post #203 of 883

Those ghiradelli blocks tastes really good too... I deffinantly recommend them.

No trick or treaters! Not one! Pooey on condos icon_sad.gif I'm very dissapointed.

fiddlesticks Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 1:28pm
post #204 of 883

I will be going to SAMS for sure ! I had plenty of trick or treaters!

mommyle Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 3:40pm
post #205 of 883

Stupid Canada. No Sams Club. UGH!!!
We didn't have that many TNT'ers either, and we live on a street full of houses and kids. I really don't know where they all went. We DID have a group of about 5 teenagers who came to the house like about 5 times, though. My neighbor told my DH. I didn't even notice!!! My DH put out a strobe light and I STILL have a headache!!!

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 9:48pm
post #206 of 883

Oh, yeah, I TOTALLY recommend the Ghiradelli! The Sam's down here all sell them for about $6.50 for 2 1/2 pounds. They've had them out since late September(ish). I keep buying a ton thinking it will last and Im still there every week buying more because I run out. ::sigh::.... I think Ive gone through at least 100 boxes since Sept. Darn cakeballs! For me, one box covers about 180 cake balls- dipped once. (Small Pampered Chef scoop size)

fiddlesticks Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 10:42pm
post #207 of 883

Thanks Julie ! Did anyone make any candy this weekend ?

sayhellojana Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 10:48pm
post #208 of 883

I just got my molds in! I am SOOOO excited! This Sunday will be chocolate/cake day for me! Time to get fat for the holidays. although I dont think I can use the "winter pudge" excuse now that I'm in AZ... hehehe

chefjulie - what kind of cake balls do you make? I've made them a few times, and they taste ok, but I've never been a huge fan.

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 11:18pm
post #209 of 883

Oh, then you're not making them right icon_biggrin.gif
Im editing this to protect my business thumbs_up.gif If you have questions about my cakeballs, just PM me and I'll happily share the recipe icon_smile.gif

mkolmar Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 3:26am
post #210 of 883

I made Oreo truffle filling and caramel-bourbon toasted walnut filling (I think I need to make this a little thicker though) today. I plan on making chocolates tomorrow with them.
OHHHHH, (frantically flaps arms in excitement) I bought an airbrush! Should be coming in hopefully this week. I'm going to be spraying the chocolate molds with cocoa butter. Can't wait! I'm going to do the red-yellow combo first so it looks more like a red-orange-yellow sunset.

I live on a side street and we had only 8 trick-or-treaters. My neighbor has 5 kids so that means only 3 other kids came. We hardly ever get anyone so those who come get more. I had treat bags and each one had animal crackers-mini-vanilla wafer packs and a full sized candy bar.

Chefjulie--I make cake balls but can you pm me your flavor combo's. I'll share mine too. I only make mine with syrups and such....just can't get down the BC cake balls yet. (If you don't want to-that's fine too)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%