Snickers Cupcakes

Baking By Melvira Updated 12 Mar 2009 , 1:14pm by bobwonderbuns

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 2:58am
post #271 of 395

Here's Todd Wilbur doing it blindfolded.

Hopefully this works to show the recipe:

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 5:29am
post #272 of 395

Ok it took me a couple of hours to settle down long enough to put these together for you all. I have to say they only thing i would really like him to do to it to make it better is to put a place for the plunger part to sit in a little because it slips a little.
LL

pmaucher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmaucher Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 3:27pm
post #273 of 395

So, are the circular pieces made out of wood?

Another thing, maybe someone could tell me why AC Moore and Michaels does this. I went to both stores looking for the Makins extruder (since I heard Makins is the best). They both sell the Makins extruder disc's (the extra set), but not the extruder icon_confused.gif . When I asked the manager (in both stores), they were as dumbfounded as me. Their answer was they have no control over what they sell, its just sent to them. Why would you sell the extra pieces but not what they go to. (But they do sell the extruder online for both stores, along with the extra pieces).

I did get another Makins extruder gun, it was with the kid section of clay. Its solid green and made out of heavy plastic, hopefully it works well.

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 4:15pm
post #274 of 395

i've had that same problem the last two days!! hobby lobby and michaels both had the extra disks, but not the gun itself...both places also told me they have no idea what gun i was referring to, and the salesman at michaels had the nerve to try and convince me that those "makins" extra disks were for the little stainless steel extruder that is $11...after i pointed out 2 or 3 times that they weren't the same brand, she huffily walked away. go figure!

so i might have luck in the kid section? that's good news..i'll give hte stores a call in a few minutes! thanks!

pmaucher Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 5:24pm
post #275 of 395

I had the Michaels employee also try telling me the green Makin disks can fit on the stainless steel extruder until he held them up to each other and realized the Makin disks were much bigger than the diameter of the stainless steel gun. I love it when I'm right and prove it.

Mixinvixen,
Here is a pic of the gun I got at Michaels, so you know what to look for.
http://www.makinsclay.com/US/eng/products/gun_extruder.htm
It should be in the same aisle you were in, I would have never noticed it if the manager had'nt pointed it out to me.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 5:42pm
post #276 of 395

I got the green metal Makins extruder at Michaels, but I'm not happy with it because it holds like a teaspoon of fondant. seriously, it takes two or three tube fulls just to make a rope long enough to go around the cake. Annoying! And, it's not a squeeze trigger, it's a twist. I'm not sure I'm crazy about that either. I want a bigger one that holds a LOT more fondant at one time.

momvarden Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 6:46pm
post #277 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmaucher

So, are the circular pieces made out of wood?

yes it is actully 3/4 plywood cut with the drill bit that cuts the holes for door knobs.

pmaucher Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 7:41pm
post #278 of 395

Mel,

Thats the one I was looking for, maybe its a good thing they didnt have it. The Makins one I got is a squeeze trigger.

Melvira Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 7:50pm
post #279 of 395
Melvira Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 7:53pm
post #280 of 395
Quote:

Mel,

Thats the one I was looking for, maybe its a good thing they didnt have it. The Makins one I got is a squeeze trigger.

It's a toss up! I mean the trigger one your hand gets tired squeezing it, but the twist one is a pain to untwist so you can reload it.

pmaucher Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 8:00pm
post #281 of 395

Mel,

they sound so good, cant wait to make them.

Whare did you get the pumpkin spice instant pudding?

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 8:19pm
post #282 of 395

I have the green extruder and it holds so little that it almost isn't worth it to me... but I tend to be impatient!!

Melvira Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 9:42pm
post #283 of 395
Quote:

Whare did you get the pumpkin spice instant pudding?

Grocery store! I bought like 40 boxes of it last year because I knew it was seasonal, but people are saying it's back this year, so that's good news! If you can't find it, try french vanilla or some other complimentary flavor.

mcdonald, I totally agree about the extruder... I'm telling ya, it's annoying. It needs to hold like ten times as much minimum!

tomatoqeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomatoqeen Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 10:57pm
post #284 of 395

I have the green metal, twist Makins extruder (bought on vacation at Hobby Lobby in Billings, MT) and do agree that it needs to hold more to get a single rope for the cake. But on my unit, you don't have to untwist the "T-bar" handle to refill it. Just spin the "nut" on the barrel and pull. Fill with fondant and then spin the "nut" to move it to the bottom and re-insert into the extruder barrel. Clear as mud? I thought I would have to re-twist the "T-bar" handle to move it out to refill, but then I had a "duh" moment. I hope this makes sense.

P.S. LOVE Hobby Lobby...wish they had one in my area!!

momvarden Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 11:07pm
post #285 of 395

this is the clay extruder that i have, http://www.dickblick.com/zz303/19/

here are a couple of other ones:

http://www.dickblick.com/zz302/40/
http://polymerclayexpress.com/aceextruder.html

I think some of you have this one.
http://www.theclaystore.com/pages-productinfo-category-97-product-745/makins-professional-ultimate-clay-extruder.html?zenid=0e30a092c3d2e62196f4475cdd87544e

ok for those of you that have makin twist extruder. this link will give you
some relief.........it is an adapter for cranking it.
http://www.clayalley.com/tools.htm

Melvira Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 11:13pm
post #286 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoqeen

I thought I would have to re-twist the "T-bar" handle to move it out to refill, but then I had a "duh" moment.

Ummmm... yah... uh, I probably have a different model. Yah, that's probably it. I'm sure that I just didn't space that out and am not now sitting here feeling like a jackass. icon_lol.gificon_cry.gif I will have to go check. That will make me like it a little more if that's the case. Although it still needs to be bigger. That's my biggest gripe with it.

Melvira Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 11:20pm
post #287 of 395

Man, I really need that crank handle. That seems like it would really help the whole process!!

Boy, two problems (possibly) solved... now the size... ok, that's just going to require a new gun. Oh well. It's good for smaller projects!

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 11:24pm
post #288 of 395

There is some mega size you can buy I cant remember where I saw it? But I learned about it here on CC some time back. Its like that real big one the Duff uses sometimes.

momvarden Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 11:30pm
post #289 of 395

fiddle....check out the sites i posted it has one that is huge. that attaches to the wall. LOL

fiddlesticks Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 11:34pm
post #290 of 395

icon_lol.gif Thats what Im talkin about! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

momvarden Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 11:43pm
post #291 of 395

you are to funny!!! icon_lol.gif

pmaucher Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 11:46pm
post #292 of 395

I had the huge one in my clay class during college. It was awesome, but people would always forget to move the long handle and I would walk right into it. icon_cry.gif Man, did it hurt. Twice I had huge, I mean huge, bumps on my forehead. icon_mad.gif

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 11:53pm
post #293 of 395

If you don't mind, I'd like to veganize this recipe... YUM!!!

momvarden Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 12:11am
post #294 of 395
Quote:

I had the huge one in my clay class during college. It was awesome, but people would always forget to move the long handle and I would walk right into it. icon_cry.gif Man, did it hurt. Twice I had huge, I mean huge, bumps on my forehead. icon_mad.gif

that su@#% tapedshut.gif , i hate it when hit boney body parts.

MrsLev557 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsLev557 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 12:58pm
post #295 of 395

There is a topic called "Results of my Chocolate Cake Taste Test"

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=602014&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=30

On page 3 they have a carmel recipe close to Melvira's, one person said they mixed 1 part carmel with 2 part buttercream for a filling for a cupcake. There is a fudge filling recipe on the page also, that someone made a cake with a Rich vanilla bean cake filled with fudgy chocolate ganache, creamy caramel sauce, and toasted chopped pecans.
She posted the recipe for the Rich Vanilla bean cake on the same site also.

The thread is only 5 pages long, not to much to read...

Maybe a Vanilla Bean Cuppie w/carmel buttercream filling topped with fudgy chocolate ganache... sounds good to me....

Shirl

fiddlesticks Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 12:20pm
post #296 of 395

I just want to let everyone know that in my..." How long do Mels caramels stay that just made fresh Taste test" My results are If cut and wrapped in a wax paper. They are just made fresh/taste for a good 2 weeks! I had to hide a handfull in order to do the test,( hubby ate all the rest ) But I noticed that after 2 weeks even though still very yummy they were not quit as "just made fresh " So You can make them in that time zone for Xmas give aways. Noting wrong with the after 2weeks period either but if you want people to think they just got made that day stick with 2 weeks ! I like to know these things when making my homemade goodies for gift baskets!

Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 1:47pm
post #297 of 395

Thanks Fiddle that is nice to know since I haven't gotten around to making these yet. I will try to make some around Christmas if BIL is better. icon_biggrin.gif

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 4:39pm
post #298 of 395

Mel. I am a little behind but finally got to try the caramels and that is an "out of this world" recipe! Sooo yummy! I also done the freeze test after I cut and wrapped some in wax squares. After being in the freezer and letting them thaw at room temperature they are just like fresh made! I love to do stuff ahead of time when I can!
Anyway thanks a million for the recipe! You are special! icon_lol.gif

Melvira Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 8:25pm
post #299 of 395

My pleasure Linda. And I hope you don't mean that I'm special in the "Here's your helmet, the short bus will be here within the hour." way! icon_lol.gif Just teasing... please no one get offended by that. icon_redface.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 10:37pm
post #300 of 395

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%