Snickers Cupcakes

Baking By Melvira Updated 12 Mar 2009 , 1:14pm by bobwonderbuns

cmp24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmp24 Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 4:50pm
post #301 of 395

Melvira

They sell a caramel candy here, with walnuts mixed in the caramel, but it is sliced off of a thick big round mound of it.

How much does this recipe make? I want to mix the walnuts into it then pour it onto a cookie sheet, or is it to much to pour into a cookie sheet?

Thanks Lisa

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 5:44pm
post #302 of 395

Hey Lisa,
When I made Mels recipe (3 times) I poured it into a 9x13 cookie sheet that is 3/4 inch thick. So if you want to add nuts to it that might work or youy might want to use a deeper pan! This is the most yummy candy I have had in a while! Just make sure your candy thermometer is correct before you start! Just thought I would let you know in case you wanted to make them right away!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 10:36pm
post #303 of 395

What you can do if you want it in a big round moun is let it cool until it's partially set, then sort of roll it into whatever shape you want. That should work! And I add nuts all the time, it's sooooo good! Especially with pecans!

cmp24 Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 6:08am
post #304 of 395

ok another question would be is:

is it a flimsy caramel, like when you pick it up by a piece will it bed or can i cut it in nice squares and stack them in my candy bowls between wax paper?

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 12:44pm
post #305 of 395

I cooked mine to 248 and they were just perfect, they cut nice and I took some and rolled them in a log and wrapped them in wax paper squares. They stayed " just made fresh for 2 weeks : After that they were still good but started to harden up a bit.
So it will depend on the temp you cook them to. I think 248 was perfect but if you want a little firmer maybe UP to 250? They are so melt in your mouth good though!

cmp24 Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 1:39pm
post #306 of 395

Great. Thanks fiddlesticks. That was my next question is how far in advanced could I make them. I already way into the Christmas spirit and want to start making my goodies so i'm trying to find something I can start making to get my can tins ready.

Melvira Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 3:17am
post #307 of 395

Yes, how firm they are is all based on how high you cook them. I do them lower for things like caramel apples, then I usually go to about 250 for eating caramels simply because I don't like them to smoosh back together once they are cut. But you have to be SO careful, even a few degrees can turn them to stone! icon_rolleyes.gif

cmp24 Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 3:23am
post #308 of 395

Thanks Melvira I'll be making those for Christmas to go in my care packages. I'll let you know how they turn out for me.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 10:37pm
post #309 of 395

Ok.. so My family can NOT get enough of these caramels! They are just delicious and what a great addition to our Christmas favorites! Im sure I will be making these ever yr from now on ..as well as other times to .Thanks again Mel for the great recipe!!!
HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Melvira Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 3:51am
post #310 of 395

My pleasure! I'm addicted to them too! And you should see people come out of the woodwork when I make caramel apples with it!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 8:47pm
post #311 of 395

I'm preparing to make this caramel for the first time, not with cupcakes, just as candy. Will it work with dk. brown sugar?

Dammit, I just realized my butter is salted icon_mad.gif . Is that a problem?

zoomzone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomzone Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 11:34pm
post #312 of 395

salted butter is what i've always used- dk brown sugar should be fine- but the flavor will be different than light brown

Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 1:30am
post #313 of 395

I have just read this entire thread.... Woo! So am I reading correctly that the temp for the caramel should be between 240 for soft pourable caramel to 250 for a firmer wrapped caramel? I have never made caramel but I absolutley LOVE it.

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 2:20am
post #314 of 395

Everyone that has tried these LOVES them. Just don't go above 250 - they get really hard. You have to suck on them to warm them enough to chew...LOL I even made them for my son's teacher who is allergic to gluten. Most of the candy places roll their caramels out on a floured surface - which means she can't have them.

Judi

Melvira Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 2:24pm
post #315 of 395

Salted butter and dark brown sugar should work just fine!! And yes, don't let it go over 250 or you could break a tooth! icon_rolleyes.gif About 247-248 is good for a firmer caramel. You just have to be really careful, and it's really about personal preference. Enjoy! thumbs_up.gif

FlourPots Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 3:15pm
post #316 of 395

Actually, I went ahead and got the light brown sugar, so I'm all set. Will probably make tonight icon_smile.gif .

Melvira Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 5:30pm
post #317 of 395

Mmmmmmm hmmmmmmmmmmmm, we won't be hearing from you for a while cuz you'll have sticky fingers from snitching the caramel!! thumbs_up.gif

FlourPots Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 7:07pm
post #318 of 395

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Redlotusninjagrl Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 11:37pm
post #319 of 395

Can smeone who has made this confirm that the recipe on page 2 calls for 2 and 3/4 cup brown sugar. I think that is what it says but I see some sort of weird character, maybe my computer converted an ampersand to something weird. That happens on some sites. Thanks!

Melvira Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 11:46pm
post #320 of 395

Yes, that's what it says, but the formatting got all crazy for some reason. Sorry about that. icon_redface.gif

Redlotusninjagrl Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 1:22am
post #321 of 395

Well I see that I can't spell!

Melvira, thank you for clearing that up. I have never made caramel, or any other candy for that matter. So I just wanted to be certain before I started so that I wouldn't mess it up.

And may I say, Melvira, you have to be the nicest "Pro" I have ever "met" on this board! You are so kind to share your recipes. You always answer everyone's questions. You always treat everyone else so well. And you are an especially patient person. I have read this thread as well as the Bettercreme thread from start to finish. But in reading the threads, I see that some people don't. I can't say that I can blame them as these threads are HUGE! But you are always so kind and helpful. I like reading the entire thread because I learn so much. You are a fantastic teacher!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 1:50am
post #322 of 395

Oh my Melvira......................Snickers are my favorite!!!!!!!! I would call them gooey ooey's! Oh Oh Oh!!!!

Melvira Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 2:10am
post #323 of 395

Redlotusninjagrl... you made my night, thank you! Yes, there is the temptation sometimes to answer with, "See pages 7-10" or something, but I know two things... 1. They may not have the time or inclination to go back and read the whole thing, and 2. I don't have the time or inclination to go back and find the right page! icon_lol.gif It's just faster for everyone if I reanswer the question. Hehehe. I don't mind really. I figure as long as it's helping someone, it's worth it!!

mariu... that's a cute name! I like it. thumbs_up.gif

FlourPots Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:23am
post #324 of 395

I finally made the caramel.
The only other time I've ever made caramel, I did so by boiling a can of condensed milk. Mrs. Mel...your recipe kicked that recipe's a$$.

I did make a few mistakes, like using a pot that was too small and thinking that holding the candy thermometer in one hand while stirring with the other would all work out in the end, LOL. After a few boiling darts, um dots landed on my hand and a few more "Son of a B****"es escaped out of my mouth, I decided to remove it early. It only got up to about 225. It was very thick, but it was liquid. After adding the vanilla, I poured it into a lightly sprayed 9x13 glass pan and let it cool. It firmed up quite a bit. I was able to cut a small, really soft piece from the corner -OK IT WAS 2 PIECES! LOL, and they were heavenly.
I covered the pan and put it in the fridge till tomorrow. Depending on the consistency, I'll either cut them out or scrape them out with a melon baller, whatever works to get them where they need to be...my stomach!

Thanks so much for the recipe icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif .

Melvira Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 4:12pm
post #325 of 395

WOO-HOO!! Score! I'm glad to hear you liked it! And I hear you about the little lava grenades that launch out of the pan... they are evil! Man, I wish I had some right now. I don't feel like making it... but I feel like eating it! icon_rolleyes.gif

FlourPots Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 8:01pm
post #326 of 395

Being refrigerated has firmed them up nicely icon_biggrin.gif !! They maintained their shape despite being slightly soft icon_biggrin.gif . Some were a little stuck on the bottom...I probably blotted off too much of the spray before-hand.

Has anyone ever used parchment paper underneath, and has anyone tried halving the recipe ?

(I'm scared to have this much around icon_lol.gif ...in the middle of the night when I woke up to use the bathroom, I stopped to check on them...you know, out of curiosity...and I couldn't resist a tiny piece icon_redface.gif )

Melvira Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 8:04pm
post #327 of 395

Yes, you can make a half batch (if you're insane, hehehehe) or a double batch. Just adjust the size of the pan you use to handle the amount you're making. thumbs_up.gif

FlourPots Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 11:59pm
post #328 of 395

OK, cool...that's good to know.

Btw...my mom and younger sister both LOVED the caramel, but couldn't understand why I didn't make the cupcakes to go with it, LOL. I should've left that part out of the story icon_biggrin.gif.

Melvira Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 1:35am
post #329 of 395

Yah, I've learned to not mention those parts of the story! icon_rolleyes.gif

FlourPots Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 2:31am
post #330 of 395

I also should've left out the caramel apple part...as soon as I described what I had seen on this thread, my mom's eyes lit up. She then says, "Could you melt a little of this down *pointing to the glass pan* and stick it on an apple?". I said, "I don't think you can do that once it's set".

Now I'm wondering...can you re-melt a portion of it...is that possible? Also, have you ever tried caramel apples with McIntosh's? It's the only kind I really like, and if I make her one then I'm having one too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%