Not A Pro...is It Hard To Make Wedding Cakes?

Decorating By Ashleymamaof4 Updated 8 Aug 2014 , 12:32pm by kkmcmahan

jimandmollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimandmollie Posted 30 May 2009 , 12:25am
post #61 of 118

Hey, here is an idea that might take some of the stress out of it:

Why don't you do that icing technique where you lift a knife away from the icing to make little spikes all over the icing? That way you could entirely skip all the stress of trying to get the icing smooth or to put fondant on it. This would be almost foolproof and you could put a ribbon around the bottom of each layer and then decorate with fresh flowers. If you wanted to skip the stacking stress, you could get one of the stands that holds each layer individually. Just some thoughts for you! HTH

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 12:00pm
post #62 of 118

Thank you jan for all the useful info

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 7:55pm
post #63 of 118

You're most welcome, Uniqueask. icon_biggrin.gif

casmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casmom Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 6:35am
post #64 of 118

thank you for all of the info.. i have to check it out tomorrow.. not enough time to do it all in one shot.. thank you..

cakesmade4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmade4u Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:15pm
post #65 of 118

Thanks for sharing.

motherof2boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherof2boys Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 11:42am
post #66 of 118

Thanks for the info!!!

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 7:43pm
post #67 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleymamaof4

Im getting married on a budget next june, I was considering making my own cake. I love doing b-day cakes and I would like to become more exprienced. Nothing fancy just plain staked teirs. Maybe some real flowers on it. I would love some tips or advice. Or a great web site to help me. Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

A wedding cake is just a series of cakes put together.

If you not comfortable trying to stack or using pillars at first, buy and use a nice cake stand....Wilton sell several two and three tiered stand that the cakes just sit in....no dowels or stacking required. As you become more confident, try stacking a two tier cake then a three....it's really not as hard as you might think.

Jen80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen80 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 10:07pm
post #68 of 118

So, how did it go Ashley? We'd love to see your cake. icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 3:12am
post #69 of 118

Wow! What a great thread this is!! (Marking in my watched topics as we speak!) icon_lol.gif

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 2:17pm
post #70 of 118

How did I miss this thread before? Wonderful information. Thanks jan for the links. I'm sure a lot of people found them helpful.

danizabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danizabe Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 2:56pm
post #71 of 118

thank you thank you very useful icon_biggrin.gif

Donnabugg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnabugg Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 2:54am
post #72 of 118

My advice would be to enjoy your one and only special day! Leave the stress to the professionals! I know for me when I start a cake it becomes a bit of an obsession until it's done....Just my humble opinion....Good Luck either way!! thumbs_up.gif

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 9:51pm
post #73 of 118

wow..this is so great...thank you!! I will try to make my MMF without water....yeahhhh

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 3:10am
post #74 of 118

Wow! This is amazing-thanks!

icalise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icalise Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 2:48am
post #75 of 118

WOW

xiswtsawluiix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xiswtsawluiix Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 9:25pm
post #76 of 118

Great thread! thumbs_up.gif

BillieH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BillieH Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 9:57pm
post #77 of 118

Sorry I don't have time to read all the replies so forgive me if I repeat something someone else has already said. But I remember there was this wedding cake my mom would always wish she could make, and it was rather simple. It was probably a 3 tiers stacked with white BC or fondant. It had a monogram on the front of the top layer or bottom. And the topper was a beautiful bouquet made of real flowers that just laid on top the cake. It could easily be used as a throw away bouquet so you can keep your original if wanted.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 2:09am
post #78 of 118

Welcome and Congratulations!

If you want to do this, PRACTICE ahead. There is a lot more in doing a wedding cake than a birthday. I'm sure you can find LOADS of help on this board alone....

We'll do whatever we can to help.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Ixtli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ixtli Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 10:41am
post #79 of 118

I'm new here, my first post icon_smile.gif

anyways, I have been spending way too much time reading all these great advice, ideas and tips. This is a great list of tips, thanks!

bobwonderbuns Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 1:39pm
post #80 of 118

Welcome to CC Ixtli!! icon_biggrin.gif You'll love it here -- but beware, this site is addicting!! icon_lol.gif

kiwigal81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwigal81 Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 7:16pm
post #81 of 118

Addictive...is it what! I've read so much, and looked so much, I got mouse induced RSI in my hand the other day. I wish I was kidding but I'm not. It was very painful, cramped up in the mouseholding position.

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 8:22pm
post #82 of 118

Welcome aboard! You're amongst friends! You will absolute love this site icon_biggrin.gif

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 8:57pm
post #83 of 118

Wow, I have to save this thread just to save the links from Jan!

I also have thought that when the day comes I may want to do my own cake, however I have done a few wedding cakes for friends and am not sure I want all that stress right before my own wedding!
Not to mention the time constraints, so here is my idea around all that...

I think I will make a fondant covered dummy cake out of styrofoam, except for the layer I will be doing at the "cake cutting" moment. That way it can be made weeks ahead of time and I can pay attention to detail. For serving, I will have simple layered cakes of whatever flavor I want in the back for the staff to cut and serve to guests. They usually don't want to eat the fondant anyway, and I know my cake will taste great. These can be made close to the wedding date without the hassle of decorating. Just bake ahead of time, freeze, ice when I'm ready.

I work in banquets and several weddings a year use dummy cakes. Even I have been surprised and haven't been able to tell until the manager responsible for cutting tells me. The only tip off is when there is a huge elaborate cake with a small 6" next to it for the bridal couple to cut, telling me that the entire large cake is a dummy. Or when I see a lot of sheet cakes in the back, but the guests usually never notice, even if it's a bright pindant cake but they are served a vanilla buttercream slice. The more clever brides choose a dummy cake with a real cake layer for the cutting, that really fools the guests. Not that I will even try to fool the guests, I will probably tell them all what I've done.

Just a thought I've had, and an idea for you. And welcome to CC!

Ixtli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ixtli Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 10:13am
post #84 of 118

ty for the welcomes'
Looking forward to learning so much!

MelissaS12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaS12 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 6:10pm
post #85 of 118

WOW! I was just hired to do 4 cakes this weekend and I am just starting so I was a little stressed out.. (good thing some of them are very easy) but this thread has helped out sooo much!

Traci9130 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Traci9130 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 3:11am
post #86 of 118

Wow, I stumbled upon this today and boy am I glad I did...What a wealth of information!

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 3:27am
post #87 of 118

Ok, how do I save a thread? icon_confused.gificon_biggrin.gif

Sandy

Taleesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Taleesa Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 5:36am
post #88 of 118

Thank you for this valuable information!

bakermom3107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermom3107 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 2:02am
post #89 of 118

Also wondering how to save this threadicon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 3:16am
post #90 of 118

Just type in an answer like you did and the screen will come up "you are now watching this topic." You'll automatically get email notices when someone else responds.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%