What Is Everyones "real" Job?

Lounge By hammer1 Updated 27 Sep 2013 , 5:29pm by ECC12

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 3:38am
post #121 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug

I'm now in a store that gives me the exact schedule I want (3 days a week, opening shift only, no weekends and no holidays). I work the other two days in a cookie store for fun.

How on earth did you swing that??? Good 4 U!

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 3:57am
post #122 of 573

I am a SAHM and loving it!! I was an bookkeeper/payroll manager of a nursing agency for 7 yrs, then stopped working 5 yrs ago, before I had my third daughter. 2 yrs ago, I tried going back to work p/t at a different office, and quit after a few weeks. I now also have a 7 mo baby boy, and bake as a hobby for friends and mainly family whenever the kiddos let!!

waterlily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
waterlily Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 7:17am
post #123 of 573

I recieved my BS in Zoology back in '03, and landed my first real job with Tyson, yes, the chicken company, as an assistant microbiologist for 2 years. I decided it was not the place for me and moved on to something else. Something in the field I really wanted. That let me to becoming a vet tech for 2 years. During which time I renewed my passion of cake decorating by taking classes. I was self taught since the 7th grade. I then decided to quit my job to go to vet school and when that didn't pan out I decided I would see were cake decorating would take me. Currently, I get orders for the weekends. I do baking on wednsdays and decorate thursdays and fridays. I will also ocassionlly do a pet sitting gig or dog walking gig, if asked. I would have to say that I have 2 passions in life and they are cake decorating and caring for animals. I am niether married nor do I have any childeren except for the furry four legged kind!

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 11:04am
post #124 of 573

A couple years ago, I was on the road with a coworker. When we were on the road we would talk instead of listening to the radio. That day's topic was "What would you do if you could do anything you wanted? Money is no object. It doesn't matter if you make one cent. What would you do?"

He said that he'd stay home and invent things. He always had these great ideas, but never followed through. I said I love to bake, so I'd like to work in a bakery. The following spring I took a class to make panoramic sugar eggs for Easter. I had a ball, and loved decorating the eggs with RI. That prompted me to take the Wilton Course 1.

I'm still at my "real" job at the bank (see previous post) but now I decorate cakes on the side. I made my road trip buddy's birthday cake last month, and he asked how the bakery was coming. At least I'm closer to my dream than he is. icon_lol.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 12:26pm
post #125 of 573

I am a SAHM as well!!Oh yeah..I bake on Tuesdays and usually decorate thursday and fridays depending on the date due of the cake.I make my decorations etc...in and between.

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 12:27pm
post #126 of 573

Forgot to add: I am married to the love of my life for almost 9 years.

My dream is to bake cakes, but i've never taken any classes and you could tell on my work. I am slowly (very slowly) learning, but I doubt it will ever happen.

Jovy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jovy Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 1:33pm
post #127 of 573

I work full time, I just got my degree in Legal Studies but I want to go to Pastry school. I have a one year old daughter that keeps me very busy so baking after she sleeps is not an option for me... I bake on Wed or Thursdays while daddy take her of her. It is very busy for me at this time so I am looking for a part time job so I can do cakes more often.

DollyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DollyCakes Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 2:50pm
post #128 of 573

I am a probation officer for 11 years now, working with juveniles

One of my co-cakers is a labor & delivery nurse

Our other co-caker is in nursing school, but already has a degree in accounting...she's had enough of number crunching, I guess!

We do most of our baking/decorating after our kids are down for the night. Although we've gotten brave lately and have been doing some of it while the kids are all running around together wreaking havoc while they're mothers are busy in the kitchen!! icon_lol.gif

BREN28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BREN28 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 2:51pm
post #129 of 573

i work in the radiology dept at a local hosp. as a mammography tech. for over 15 years. saturday's or sunday's are the only days i get to "play" with making cakes. i wish i had more time to practice decorating,because i have such a great time doing it.

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 3:13pm
post #130 of 573

I am the Payroll Manager for a Wendy's Franchise.

athompson0525 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
athompson0525 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 5:21pm
post #131 of 573

Up until a little over a month ago I was the Executive Assistant to the IT Director of a Truck Manufacturing Company. Due to my boss moving I am now a SAHM to two wonderful kids. One of which just started Kindergarten.

Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 7:17pm
post #132 of 573

Well I am a full time Office Shipping Clerk for a major carpet manufactorer. I have 2 children one boy 34, one girl soon to be 30. I have 4 wonderful grands ages 13,12,7,2. I do cakes for family and friends and whoever calls. icon_lol.gif I have a wonderful hubby whom I love to spend as much time with as possible. icon_biggrin.gif

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 12:11am
post #133 of 573

I am a SAHM to my three kids, ages 7, 3, and 9 weeks. I haven't made a cake since I was pregnant, the last two months I couldn't even tolerate the thought of BC. I am itchin' to get back to it, but I can't afford to buy stuff to make "play" cakes right now & I don't really want to take orders 'cause with the baby I don't have a dependable time free to bake & decorate. But as soon as she's sleeping thru the night I'll be back to my midnight decorating!!!

Great thread!

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:09am
post #134 of 573

this has been a great thread...isn't it amazing how many of us are dreaming of that cake shop...I took a business class a few years ago and it scared me out of the cake business idea until I can retire and have a retirement check coming in...we figure up how many cakes we would have to make to cover the overhead and decided that we might start to hate cakes. ( live in a small town and prices can't be like those in the big cities)....don't want that to happen.. .when I retire I would like to expand my cottage industry, in Ohio that is how the cake business gets billed, home bakeries are allowed if you don't have anything that needs refrigeration....
hope many more will answer the thread, it has been so interesting.

really , my daughters major in college is hospitality mgt and rest. mgt, all for her opening the bakery and letting me play.
Thanks to all.

pugmama1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pugmama1 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 3:04am
post #135 of 573

I graduated in '73 in medical technology and went to work in the hematology lab of a major hospital. Took some cake dec classes from Linda Reese and made cakes for family and coworkers. Went part-time when my son was born in '80 and quit when my daughter was born in '82. Have been a very happy SAHM and number 3 was born in '88. Now I am a substitute teacher for all subjects and grade levels in our school district. I like only working when I want to. I have done some wedding cakes this past year after a long hiatus and I LOVE it!

mgigglin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgigglin Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 11:11am
post #136 of 573

" 9-1-1 What is your emergency?"

I have spent the last 2 yrs at our police department as a 9-1-1 dispatcher. Prior to that, 9 yrs at the Sheriff's office in the county where I live. This is a carreer I would have never chosen for myself but love doing it! And to you ladies in law enforcement my hats off to you... thumbs_up.gif I'm in awe of watching you do this job and raise a family! Amazing! Just amazing!

Cake is my release and gives me complete satisfaction on my days off.

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 11:37am
post #137 of 573

I am a Service Administrator for a Ford Dealership and have been since 1985.

KieslerKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KieslerKakes Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 11:47am
post #138 of 573

I'm a System Support Analyst for a Utility company (it's a $19 million account) located in Louisville Kentucky. I've worked here for 22 years. I plan to retire in 8 years and hopefully during those next 8 years perfect my cake decorating. I live in Jeffersonville Indiana and have two boys (17 & 2icon_cool.gif. I bake for family, friends and co-workers. I average one cake a week and right now that's enough especially during soccer season.

APrettyCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APrettyCake Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 11:52am
post #139 of 573

I am a Database Systems Engineer for a major telephone/wireless company. I do enjoy my job, have been in IT for many years. I would much rather be baking though icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 11:54am
post #140 of 573

I'm a pastry chef and wedding cake designer. Yep, that's really my real job. DH and I also own a B & B and I work 2 days a month for our city, hearing zoning cases and appeals. Prior to that, I got a BA in History (couldn't make a living with that) then an MBA (nice living with that one) came extremely close to completing a Master's in Clinical Psychology (decided that wasn't the field for me with 6 hours of training to go) and then went to culinary school after an early retirement.

Livin' the dream!

Valli_War Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valli_War Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 12:10pm
post #141 of 573

I am a database programmer. If I were to have my way, I would own and run a restaurant. My husband is totally against it. I have a bachelors in Electrical and Electronics engineering and a masters in Software engineering. I do enjoy my job and baking is just a hobby.

curliesue26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
curliesue26 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 12:16pm
post #142 of 573

I am a registered nurse working in long term care. I make cakes for anyone who wants one - FREE! I consider making cakes my therapy for a long, hard day. Nothing calms me more than kneading out a pile of fondant! thumbs_up.gif

curliesue26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
curliesue26 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 12:16pm
post #143 of 573

I am a registered nurse working in long term care. I make cakes for anyone who wants one - FREE! I consider making cakes my therapy for a long, hard day. Nothing calms me more than kneading out a pile of fondant! thumbs_up.gif

joeycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joeycakes Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 12:20pm
post #144 of 573

Engineer - I work for a large Construction Management company as a Project Engineer, and am currently part of a team managing construction of a $50M medical education building. Baking is my escape from the dirt, grime, and stinky men (no offense to all of the hard workers) â I go home, take off the boots, shower and bake (at least 2 â 3 times a week).

I recently graduated from PSU with a degree in Architectural Engineering; however wish I would have gone to culinary school. I love my job for now, but hopefully someday Iâll own a bakery!

FlyGirl08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlyGirl08 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 12:32pm
post #145 of 573

Flight attendant...get it...Fly Girl icon_smile.gif I'm also a culinary arts student majoring in baking and pastries!

GRAMMASUE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GRAMMASUE Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 12:43pm
post #146 of 573

What an interesting topic! I'm soooooo impressed with everyone's careers and ability to juggle family, work AND cakes!!

I'm the mother of 3 beautiful grown daughters and the proud grandmother of 5 incredible grandchildren. I also work full-time as an administrative assistant. Baking and decorating is my hobby, which has become quite an obsession! I make cakes for family and friends.

jaxmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaxmom Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 12:49pm
post #147 of 573

Sociology professor at a Connecticut University and mom to 2 great (and VERY active) kids!!!

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:01pm
post #148 of 573

I am an Executive Administrative Assistant for a Manufacture of Cutting and Welding Positioners. I love my job and my boss is wonderful to work for! Plus a mom of a 7 year daughter and 4 yr old son. I do alot of my caking starting on Wednesday at night. This weeked I have 1 wedding cake and 3 party cakes. Why do I do this to myself!

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:02pm
post #149 of 573

great thread!!!

I am a SAHM of 2 kids (5 y/o girl 18 m/o boy).... I have been home since my girl was born. She started kindergarten a couple weeks back, so now it is just the big man and I and all of our many chores and errands. I have used my time at home well though. I have completed a Masters in Forensic Science and have just finished an MBA in HR Management.... so hoepfully someday if it is meant for me to work, I will have some footing icon_smile.gif I love being home with my kids and I love being able to pick DD up and drop her off at school, it just means so much! Thanks for posting, this is great!

Oh and did I mention I have a legal bakery in my detached garage that I often "run-away" too when DH is home!

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:08pm
post #150 of 573

I am a medical auditor at a health insurance company.... but my favorite job is being a wife and mom to my family.... and then of course, baking cakes!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%